shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of setting with peach sapphire?

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
I absolutely love this setting and had previously found a similar antique setting that I've discussed with our jeweler, but I keep going back and forth between this and a halo. I'm planning on having a very light peachy sapphire as the centre stone - what do you all think this would look like with a very light peach centre stone (think similar to morganite colour, but with the refraction of sapphire obviously!)? I was alternatively thinking of a halo in rose gold (I think with this style setting I would stick to white gold as the rose might be a bit much?) With getting a custom ring I just have such trouble visualising what it will be like so I'd love some input!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/neatfreak-question-about-oval.179990/#post-3540788#p3540788']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/neatfreak-question-about-oval.179990/#post-3540788#p3540788[/URL]

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This may or may not be helpful for you, but I have a peach spinel set in rose gold with side rose gold hydrangeas. So it's sort of similar to Neatfreak's ring.

I also have a picture of a peach colored sapphire resting in a rose gold halo.

These are probably a more vibrant peach that what you're thinking, from the sound of it, but hopefully they will at least be somewhat of a help!

patrick_irla.jpg

peach_patrick_0.jpg

pad_sapphire.jpg

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
MJ0911|1382218667|3540790 said:
I absolutely love this setting and had previously found a similar antique setting that I've discussed with our jeweler, but I keep going back and forth between this and a halo. I'm planning on having a very light peachy sapphire as the centre stone - what do you all think this would look like with a very light peach centre stone (think similar to morganite colour, but with the refraction of sapphire obviously!)? I was alternatively thinking of a halo in rose gold (I think with this style setting I would stick to white gold as the rose might be a bit much?) With getting a custom ring I just have such trouble visualising what it will be like so I'd love some input!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/neatfreak-question-about-oval.179990/#post-3540788#p3540788']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/neatfreak-question-about-oval.179990/#post-3540788#p3540788[/URL]

I love the setting, I have a similar-ish setting with a yellow sapphire center stone - for mine I went with a yellow gold basket/prongs, but the rest of the ring is white gold. I think I would recommend something similar for you - use rose gold for the basket/prongs and keep the rest of the ring in white gold - I think that would be lovely with a peach sapphire. I have a peach sapphire myself and I think it would have been washed out in a white gold setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certain shades work better with rose, yellow or white. Have you placed your sapphire next to all 3 metals (or in an empty setting) to see which metal colour works best for it?

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the examples - certainly helps to get an idea of peach sapphire and rose gold together without a halo (which most of the pics I've seen have had).

I haven't seen the stone in person - it should be with me in about 2 weeks but I've had real problems trying to find a stone of the right colour that has ethical traceability which is really important to me. This stone seems to have a fairly good 'pedigree', though admittedly not as good as the jeweler I'm working with, but unfortunately he hasn't managed to turn up anything these past couple of months. Fingers crossed I can figure it all out - I'm hoping to have a mixed-metal wedding set, so will have one or the other in rose gold. An additional problem is that I prefer (I think) the look of 14k over 18k rose gold, but in the uk jewellers tend to not use 14k so that will be the next issue!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Try searching for the terms "rose gold padparadscha ring" on Google Images, and you'll see an array of peach/pink sapphires in different rose gold settings.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
carmen1|1382225051|3540825 said:
I love the setting, I have a similar-ish setting with a yellow sapphire center stone - for mine I went with a yellow gold basket/prongs, but the rest of the ring is white gold. I think I would recommend something similar for you - use rose gold for the basket/prongs and keep the rest of the ring in white gold - I think that would be lovely with a peach sapphire. I have a peach sapphire myself and I think it would have been washed out in a white gold setting.

This! I second it and think it will enhance the peachiness, make the contrast more noticeable, and the halo diamonds sparkle. :praise:

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Thanks pregcurious - I have done quite a few searches previously, but pad searches tend to turn up stones that are much darker than what I'm planning, and a lot of the lighter stones have halos which is another option for a setting (and seems to be the general default for this light peach coloured stone), but doesn't help much with imagining the stone in this less blingy setting!

My main worry is the antiquey leaf design of this setting (it reminds me of some Edwardian/Art Nouveau settings) won't suit a pastel peach/pink coloured stone - that it'll jar somehow. But i will continue trying to find examples of peachy stones in decorative but non-blingy settings.

I definitely think I'll go with the general advice and just see whether white gold or rose gold complements the exact shade of the stone once I find it. Really like the idea of rose-gold prongs though, something I hadn't really thought of so thanks!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's really going to depend on the stone you find.

Have you searched for Morganite rings? They tend to be pretty pale. I was looking at this one the other day, and it's a large Morganite in a pretty plain rose gold setting.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/155466323/custom-design-tulip-ring?ref=shop_home_active

I am willing to bet that a light peach stone would be just fine in that setting in rose gold, from my experience. The only thing I would worry about would be going TOO light peach, then the rose gold might make it look more white than enhancing the peach.

Do you have a picture of something (not necessarily a gemstone) that is the color you want?

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Hi FrekeChild - attached is a stone which is the ideal colour and cut, though maybe marginally smaller than I'd like (it's 1ct). Unfortunately there's no ethical traceability so buying is not really an option for me, but the stone is really beautiful in person. I also attached a pic of it precariously balanced in a white gold halo (just playing around at the jewelers) which might give an idea of the colour a bit more. I do love halo settings, but I also love this one as well - at some point I will just have to make a choice I guess!

I think what everyone says is right though - it will just be very dependent on the stone and my best bet is just to wait until I have it and then discuss with the jeweler and compare different settings. Thanks for all giving your input!

_11183.jpg

_11184.jpg

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
MJ0911|1382525627|3542818 said:
Hi FrekeChild - attached is a stone which is the ideal colour and cut, though maybe marginally smaller than I'd like (it's 1ct). Unfortunately there's no ethical traceability so buying is not really an option for me, but the stone is really beautiful in person. I also attached a pic of it precariously balanced in a white gold halo (just playing around at the jewelers) which might give an idea of the colour a bit more. I do love halo settings, but I also love this one as well - at some point I will just have to make a choice I guess!

I think what everyone says is right though - it will just be very dependent on the stone and my best bet is just to wait until I have it and then discuss with the jeweler and compare different settings. Thanks for all giving your input!

RTFrog has a pale morganite set in rose gold and I think it is stunning. I'd definitely vote rose gold over white gold for a stone like the one you posted, but it is just my personal preference and you are the one who has to be happy with it!

I apparently can't post a photo of it from my iPad, but here is a link with lots of puctures:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/morganite-ring-and-pendant-in-rose-gold.193014/

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you see gem 452 here?

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html

It's quite large, but looks similar to the color you want. You hadn't mentioned a budget either, so I kind of went out on a limb.

Since you are concerned about ethically obtained stones, I would contact Peter Torraca http://www.torraca.net/gems.php?search=recent&for=recent and Gene Flanigan http://precisiongem.com/index.html as they typically travel to the locales where the rough is from to buy it directly from the miners. There are other cutters who do this too, but my brain is mush today. You would probably have better luck with a precision lapidary than most jewelry stores, as they often obtain their gemstones through middle men/gemstone dealers.

Keep in mind that peach sapphires are one of the most highly sought after gemstones, and as a result, one of the most expensive. You'll probably see it marketed as Padparadscha, and that label comes with a steep price tag.

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I had been put off Gemfix as they make no mention of ethical sourcing etc on their website (though the cutting end seems just fine!) but it might well be worth getting in touch with them to see if they can source something ethically. The stone they have is quite a bit too big - I'm looking for something around 1.5ct, maximum 2 (it's an engagement ring so I want something unobtrusive enough for me to wear every day and also because in my workplace even wearing a ring with any stone at all will appear very blingy).

Thanks for suggesting the two other cutters - I will definitely get in touch with them as well to see if they can be of any help. Luckily I have a wonderful jeweller who is very switched on and has been helping a lot, but as you said these stones are fairly rare and valued so adding extra requirements inevitably makes the job of finding something even harder and I'm getting impatient!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since ethical sourcing is very important to you, have you checked out Wildfish?

MJ0911

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono - I've been keeping an eye on WildFish but nothing the right size/colour/price combination has come up. It may well be time to email them...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You may want to contact Peter Torraca and ask if he has rough to cut a peach sapphire. I bought this peach/pink color shift Umba sapphire from him (from the Umba Valley of Tanzania) a few years ago. Umba sapphires tend to shift in color. They do produce peach/pink sapphires, but they cannot carry the name padparadsha, to my knowledge, because they are not from Sri Lanka. They may be labeled African padparadsha, and they will not carry the hefty price tag of pads from Sri Lanka.

The first shot is Peter's shot (the stone is only this dark in low light), the other is mine outside. This picture was taken midday under "warm" outside light with an iPhone. There is no photo manipulation. (My avatar was taken at the same time.)

It shifts to a light pink at night, under fluorescent lights.

The stone is 6 mm in diameter, and I have a size 4.25 ring finger, for reference. My hands are a size small in gloves.

sap448_white_sm.jpg

peachsapphire1.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results