shape
carat
color
clarity

Intrigued by Art Deco rings

rileyl

Rough_Rock
I will soon be celebrating my 25th anniversary, and my DH is buying me a new ring. I get to choose it myself :appl:

My original e-ring is a .25 c round solitaire, and for sentimental reasons, I originally thought I would pair the diamond with another .25 c stone, and have them set on either side of a larger round diamond, in a three stone design. However, in my recent wanderings around the net, I've seen some absolutely gorgeous art deco rings that I fine hugely appealing. I love the look of OEC diamonds in photos, but I don't think I've ever seen one IRL. My question is - do they have the same brilliance and sparkle as a modern round diamond? Is there any way to judge the quality of an OEC diamond's cut by measurements? ie., would the depth and table percentages be similar to a modern round? I hope these aren't stupid questions. It's unlikely that I'll ever be in a position to purchase another diamond ring of any significance, so I really want to be sure before I buy anything!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi and welcome! :wavey:

An early congrats on your 25th wedding anniversary! To answer your questions, you can't really judge an OEC solely by the #s. You can look for certain things....(i.e. that the depth isn't too high--different people have different tolerances on them, but basically, a deep stone faces up smaller than it's carat weight). As for brilliance and sparkle, the sparkle is different in an antique versus a modern stone. It's hard to put into words the difference. The other major difference is how an antique stone shows (or doesn't show) color). What would look yellow in a modern stone could look totally white in an OEC. My suggestion is to work with a reputable vendor and have them send you a stone or two to look at. I'd recommend Jewels by Erica Grace or Old World Diamonds....

I'd be happy to do a bit of looking for you if you tell me what size stone you're looking for....

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rileyl|1374843446|3490680 said:
I will soon be celebrating my 25th anniversary, and my DH is buying me a new ring. I get to choose it myself :appl:

My original e-ring is a .25 c round solitaire, and for sentimental reasons, I originally thought I would pair the diamond with another .25 c stone, and have them set on either side of a larger round diamond, in a three stone design. However, in my recent wanderings around the net, I've seen some absolutely gorgeous art deco rings that I fine hugely appealing. I love the look of OEC diamonds in photos, but I don't think I've ever seen one IRL. My question is - do they have the same brilliance and sparkle as a modern round diamond? Is there any way to judge the quality of an OEC diamond's cut by measurements? ie., would the depth and table percentages be similar to a modern round? I hope these aren't stupid questions. It's unlikely that I'll ever be in a position to purchase another diamond ring of any significance, so I really want to be sure before I buy anything!

Depends on the stone, some transitional diamonds (those in between a round brilliant and an OEC) do look a lot like RBs. Most OECs have larger facets and are deeper so they reflect light in a different way. This is a wonderful link;

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/modern-quest-old-cut-diamonds

rileyl

Rough_Rock
Thank you both very much. This is great information and advice. Yennyfire, I appreciate your offer to look around for me, although I'm not quite ready to buy just now, and I'm still undecided between buying a nice centre stone and using my original e-ring diamond in a custom-made three-stone ring, or buying a vintage piece. I am certainly drawn to the Art Deco rings I've seen online, and I like some of the Edwardian designs I've seen as well. Unfortunately, I have also seen some very modern settings that I find quite appealing! So I'm all over the map at this point. :confused:

I would like a diamond of at least .75 c. I prefer SI1 or better clarity. I'm comfortable with colour up to J, and of course I want an excellent cut.

My budget is $4k.

I will take a look at that link! Thank you!

L

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I am with you with the OEC and loving Art Deco and Edwardian stuff. I'd leave your original ring alone, or make it a pendant. Best of luck, keep us posted. :appl:

rileyl

Rough_Rock
Well as it happens, I have already bought a ring. It's a bit of a story, but I'll wait until I have it on my hand before I tell the whole story here. For now let me just say that my ring is already known to the PS community, and I'm sure she'll be recognized quickly. She has a lovely and unique personality. I am excited beyond all reason, and will post again the very second I get her home. :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I think by now you must have received it, no? I'm sure you've posted elsewhere, like in SMTB, but would you mind providing a link here for us latecomers? :bigsmile:

rileyl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for linking that Acinom! I didn't realize anyone was looking for it on this thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results