shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on setting for princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dckloos

Rough_Rock
Gf picked this one out last year when we were looking at a local jeweler. The original was white gold, side stones were h/i si1 clarity.=, tw .55ct. price with discount $979.00 After doing some reading on here, I am begining to think I would rather have the broker I buy the diamond from, set the stone as well. I have been having a hard time finding a similar setting. Jeweler said would take 3 weeks to make the setting, planning on popping the question on a weekend get away March 11th. So I am under the gun to get the setting soon.

The center stone I plan to buy is .80 to .83 ct princess cut, F-G, VS2. Have been looking at the AGA guide for stone dimentions, table %, depth %, to pick out a well cut stone.

Anyone have any opinions on the setting or know and online dealer who could do a similar setting in price range.

semisetting.JPG

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am just a jewellery designer, so I know nothing, but if you put a princess cut in that ring it will look like a dogs breakfast.

give her the diamond in a simple ring clip so she can go out and design the setiing herself :)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wel.... I would let the girl choose. A "temporary" setting comes less than $100 and some diamond sellers would throw one in with the deal knowing such practice is common.

It can't be a bad surprise to be left with a diamon and asked to find the perfect setting for your self !
31.gif

... but a dated ring has some chance to be a half & half surprise
39.gif

dckloos

Rough_Rock
Do you think it is better to let the GF pick the setting, or is the element of suprise thought better.
Since I spent around a two months looking at settings with her last year, I have a good idea of her taste.

She is kinda particular about the thickness of the band since she has short fingers. She definitely wants side stones (bagets) +. Personally I prefer princess cut stones, but don''t want the ring to be too busy, or take away from the center stone.

I would like to surprise her with the finished product (lasting memory). Then again I would hate to pick out something she did not love, since she is too kind to every say anything.

So this is one for the ladies, which would you prefer?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
DEFINITELY let her pick out the setting later!! i agree with Gary- the ring you posted would just not look right with a princess. also, you said she wants a thin band and i would personally call that one on the thick side. go with the temporary setting
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were several opinion polls on this... Here''s another
5.gif

The summary looks like this
4.gif
and there are lots of posts on those threads explaining those "why" and "what if".

SurpriseSurprise.JPG

dckloos

Rough_Rock
Looks like the jury is in. So the next question, what type of mount should I have it set in, in the mean time. Something to keep the stone safe. A basic tiffinay style 4 prong?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
does she want a princess cut? i was just wondering, since the original setting that you posted shows a round. i wasn''t clear on whether she liked the whole package, or just the setting.

windy1365

Shiny_Rock
Instead of a princess, have you checked out the Jubilee or square Hearts and Arrows diamonds? There are pictures on www.goodoldgold.com. If I had known about them when I got engaged, that''s what I would have gotten instead of my princess stone. I like the vatche settings. Also, are you sure that your girlfriend wants a princess stone. I thought that princess stones look better on longer fingers... but I might be wrong. I think certain stones can either visually elongate or shorten fingers, so you might want to keep that in mind when picking out the stone shape.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results