shape
carat
color
clarity

Art Deco Engagement Ring from Gesners

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have nothing to add in regards to the stone choice but wanted to say that setting is divine and I can see why you want to stick with it, that style of settings is among my favorites. Congratulations on your pending engagement!

rneill

Rough_Rock
I emailed Mr Gesner and asked for another video showing a more straight on shot of the top of the stone. I feel like im being a pain in the ass on one hand but on the other I did ask for a straight on video before he reset the stone so I don't feel like it is all my fault. This is a major purchase that will hopefully be in the family a very long time and I want to make sure I am happy with it. Since two different photos showed the majority of the center facets being dark and the video doesn't show a straight on shot of the top it is hard to tell if they will be dark the majority of the time and if they are it is not the stone I want. I have a sister that lives about an hour from tampa I think I am going to see if she can take a trip and check it out for me in person.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
rneill|1349418806|3279768 said:
I emailed Mr Gesner and asked for another video showing a more straight on shot of the top of the stone. I feel like im being a pain in the a$$ on one hand but on the other I did ask for a straight on video before he reset the stone so I don't feel like it is all my fault. This is a major purchase that will hopefully be in the family a very long time and I want to make sure I am happy with it. Since two different photos showed the majority of the center facets being dark and the video doesn't show a straight on shot of the top it is hard to tell if they will be dark the majority of the time and if they are it is not the stone I want. I have a sister that lives about an hour from tampa I think I am going to see if she can take a trip and check it out for me in person.

I can totally understand that. I wish I had better info for you. I don't know if seeing dark shaped petals are an issue or not or if that's considered some sort of nailhead or not (I guess I think of nailhead like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkMQ4Gp778w&feature=youtu.be ), or just how common some darkness is in the old stones (because I bet it is common) and what dark shadowed petals means versus the entire table shape being dark like in the video. This is where we need someone with a lot more experience in old cuts here, like Dreamer or Mara. The whole table is not dark, and the petals in shadow could be obstruction from the camera. These old stones do reflect just about anything in their vicinity and I bet their camera is black. I was wearing a green shirt the other day, and the stone in my ring looked green....

If your sis doesn't mind the trip in to look at the ring, that would be a real plus for you, to have someone (a non-jeweler) look at it and say what they see or perhaps make a short phone video for you in regular, non fancy jewelry store lighting....

Keep us posted! I'm so sorry it's a hassle for you! Dealing with these old cuts is no easy task.....too many sharks out there...

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
rneill|1349411025|3279738 said:
I got some pictures and video of the stone they picked out mounted in my setting. I am concerned about it having a dead spot in the middle. It was visible in the picture of it mounted in its original setting. I told them I was concerned about it and he assured me it was a bad picture and that it was a very bright and lively stone in person. I asked him to take a short video of it being moved around slowly in the light so I could see if the center facets were in fact bad and wanted to make sure I was happy with it before they went through the trouble of re setting it. A couple days later they sent me these pictures and videos of it already mounted in my setting. It looks nice in the video and I love the profile of the stone but I am still concerned about the center facets and one of the new pictures also shows them as being dark. I am not that happy that they went ahead and set the stone without getting my approval first and I don't feel like the videos really show the one thing I told them I was concerned about.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDFP7cZcPTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SY--QKrLE

Were you able to find out which of the choices he gave you they put in the ring? Did you not get an actual choice of the stone you wanted then? The link for stone #3 (the one none of us liked here) is down so I am wondering if they chose that one. That's something I'd want nailed down for sure....

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
rneill|1349411025|3279738 said:
I got some pictures and video of the stone they picked out mounted in my setting. I am concerned about it having a dead spot in the middle. It was visible in the picture of it mounted in its original setting. I told them I was concerned about it and he assured me it was a bad picture and that it was a very bright and lively stone in person. I asked him to take a short video of it being moved around slowly in the light so I could see if the center facets were in fact bad and wanted to make sure I was happy with it before they went through the trouble of re setting it. A couple days later they sent me these pictures and videos of it already mounted in my setting. It looks nice in the video and I love the profile of the stone but I am still concerned about the center facets and one of the new pictures also shows them as being dark. I am not that happy that they went ahead and set the stone without getting my approval first and I don't feel like the videos really show the one thing I told them I was concerned about.

Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDFP7cZcPTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SY--QKrLE

I am not one of the resident experts around here, but I would agree that the stone that was *originally* in the setting is a poorly cut MRB. The stone they replaced it with above does appear to be an OEC, with the requisite small table/high crown, but it's not a great example of one (imho). If it were me, I'd cull through the photos here on PS (such as ForteKitty's, Dreamer, madelise, babynurse, burk, LGK etc.) and get some photos of gorgeous OECs, send them to Gesners and tell them that THIS is what you are looking for. A photos is worth a thousand words in this instance.

And hopefully, one of the experts will chime in to help you out. The setting is absolutely gorgeous. I can see why you both fell in love with it!

rneill

Rough_Rock
The stone they picked is not one of the ones I picked out. He used them as an example of what I was looking for. The one selected is a .8 CT (same size as the original) and he picked it because it fit the setting the best and has the high crown I was looking for. He emailed me back and is going to get me more photos / videos early next week. He has been very nice and helpful even though I have been a bit of a pita to deal with. He has assured me there is no dead spot in the ring and that it is very lively and bright and said that if I am not happy with it for any reason in person he will replace it with something else. As long as there is no big dead spot in the center I will be happy with it. I really like the high crown and the profile it has in this setting and think it looks fantastic in the videos he provided. Thanks for the input everyone I will keep you all posted.

Thank you for all the great comments on the setting. I was going to cancel the whole thing until I saw how much she loved it. She thinks I canceled the order due to the stone and hopefully she will be :love: when it gets here with the new stone in it. I know it will be worth the effort and frustration in the end.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you will be thrilled when you see the ring. Photos and videos just don't capture what your eye sees. Look at it in all kinds of light situations before making any decisions.

rneill

Rough_Rock
The ring arrived last week and we love it. Thanks for the help everyone! :appl:

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
just wanted to say after reading this thread that it was a real learning experience. like others I LOVE your setting and sooo agree with the replacement of the diamond. It made the ring look so much more authentic. Now I know how a vintage stone looks different than a modern one in a vintage setting, or at least a poorly cut modern one looks.

really fascinating. thanks for it.

rneill

Rough_Rock
No problem, Im glad others can learn from my learning experience.

Not the best pics ever but it looks fantastic in person.

537706_10151295779877710_909438283_n.jpg 15478_10151295779942710_315063089_n.jpg 9692_10151295779932710_2090416004_n_0.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for coming back and updating us - I thought of you when I saw the other thread about Gesners! I am so happy that everything worked out! :appl: The ring is absolutely gorgeous, the setting is really beautiful!

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
Really lovely. Can we see more photos? Would love to see bird's eye view as well as other angles.
IMO it is 100% fantastic with the "new" antique diamond and the setting is perfect. Home run.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
thanks for the update and the pic's...that setting is totally marvelous and the stone turned out so well...would love more pic's.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results