shape
carat
color
clarity

How to reset my treasures?

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
Hey you guys. I have a 1938 ring and an older brooch that I bought in order to make something special. Now ....I don't know what to do. The price of custom work is a little scary... plus, this brooch is so pretty - I don't want to "ruin" it. Should I put CZ's in place of the old diamonds?

I'm overwhelmed now and don't want to blow thousands on trial and error KWIM? :confused: Looking at the photo.....maybe I'd be more excited if the pictures were on a sunny day?

duh.. stats would help, not that I have much... The ring is 12 pts x 10 platinum top, white gold body. The platinum brooch is supposed to be 1.15, .5, .2 in the main bezels. The smallest ones in bezels don't look like .2 ct to me, but I guess because they are deep?? I don't know how much the "in between" stone are.

resetting_these_pieces.jpg

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
missymoo,

both these pieces look so beautiful to me!
I understand you may want to use the stones of the brooch for something else?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Gasp! My heart is breaking for that beautiful brooch. :(

If you decide to proceed with the project, please go with a vendor who can carefull take them out of the bezels. 23rd St.'s bench took T-gal's diamonds out or her brooch and managed to preserve the bezels. It is such a beautiful brooch (and platinum, no less!) that the thought of it being destroyed breaks my heart. Instead of czs, I'd probably put some type of gem that is of that period. Maybe aquas?

dianabarbara

Shiny_Rock
I realize they are more modest stones, but I really believe that also garnets or very dark amethysts would look stunning in there

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
Something colorful instead? Aquas sound really pretty! I have some cheap spinels and garnets but I'm not convinced their worth putting in this... I am worried about destroying it....I guess I could pick out what I wanted to put in there, then mail the whole thing to 23rd street? I don't know anything about them...need to google now!

I was thinking of getting the stones reset with one of the local houston vendors...WF or BGD . do you think it's best to send it away because of the bezels??

and thank you for the compliments - I think the brooch is really special!!!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If BGD and WF is local, I'd take it in to both of them and see what they say. If they can say with confidence that they can do it w/o destroying the bezels, I'd probably do it. I'm not sure 23rd street is good with online business. Think they're usually better in person.

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
Do you guys think a 3 stone would be good, or a graduated eternity ring?

stci

Ideal_Rock
Why don't you wear the brooch as a pendant? It's easy and you don't ruin your treasure!

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
It's 3 inches long, I was worried that it was too long and too many carats for daily wear. I don't feel right taking it apart, but don't think I can let it sit around and do nothing either. Here's another pic.

119_2057.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It's so beautiful. I would wear it as a pendant.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered selling it to a store that specializes in antique/vintage diamond pieces? I know Lang's Antiques buys pieces and they might be able to give you a quote if you send them pictures and measurements. Singlestone might, as well.

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
I figured I'd never get it to sell on my own - but that's a great idea and I might pursue it! I thought I was so smart getting all these nice diamonds for this imaginary ring....never figured I'd feel bad about ruining the poor thing. we'll see - if i can find someone not to damage it - I could still get 2 beautiful pieces of jewelry - the brooch with other stones and a new ring!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ForteKitty|1353011851|3307416 said:

If you decide to proceed with the project, please go with a vendor who can carefull take them out of the bezels. 23rd St.'s bench took T-gal's diamonds out or her brooch and managed to preserve the bezels. It is such a beautiful brooch (and platinum, no less!) that the thought of it being destroyed breaks my heart. Instead of czs, I'd probably put some type of gem that is of that period. Maybe aquas?

I am pretty sure that Singlestone removed the stones from TGal's brooch and she had 23rd st make the ring. That sure is one stunning brooch!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really is a gorgeous brooch. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1353286947|3309747 said:
ForteKitty|1353011851|3307416 said:

I am pretty sure that Singlestone removed the stones from TGal's brooch and she had 23rd st make the ring. That sure is one stunning brooch!!

23rd St.'s bench removed the diamonds. Hopefully TGal can come in and verify.

eta: She mentioned it in her 3 stone thread: 3rd post, 5th paragraph down: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ee-stone-ring-by-23rd-street-jewelers.175582/ ;))

missymoo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you guys for the excellent suggestions! I have an appt at BGD tomorrow and am bringing my brooch with me, plus a few other candidates. I am very excited! :appl:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
The brooch is lovely. I'd probably find a way to use it as a pendant too. Maybe if someone can selectively harvest a few of the stones for you without messing it up (like the center one and bigger ones next to it) then you could leave most of the diamonds in there and just replace a few stones with something that would have also been used in the same time period (like sapphire or aqua)?

beckweed

Rough_Rock
I think the suggestion of setting it with other gemstones and wearing it as a pendant is an excellent idea. That way you have a stunning ring and a stunning necklace. I'm sure BGD can do both.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
ForteKitty|1353193177|3308957 said:
It's so beautiful. I would wear it as a pendant.

This.

That's too pretty to cut up.

It just wouldn't look the same with colored stones.

What about using it somewhat as-is and making a pendant or bangle bracelet out of it?

I've seen some ugly old jewelery in the past that I could understand remaking. But, this one is pretty. I wouldn't remove those stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results