shape
carat
color
clarity

AVC + Vintage Setting Need Help

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are quite a few Beverly K dealers in Nor Cal. Pave in Berkley carries them. In San Ramon Heller carries them. In Napa there is another jeweler that carries them.

As for your BF. Well, I get sticking to a budget. But I don't get tiptoeing and the not making things complicated thing. You pick what you want, put it on hold, give the setting vendor instructions and he pays for it.

But, I would like to ask a question. Why don't you contribute your own funds to the ring budget? I would spend the 5k on a stone and a temp setting. Then save up for your dream setting yourself. That way you respect his budget, but also get what you want.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1343711912|3243481 said:
There are quite a few Beverly K dealers in Nor Cal. Pave in Berkley carries them. In San Ramon Heller carries them. In Napa there is another jeweler that carries them.

As for your BF. Well, I get sticking to a budget. But I don't get tiptoeing and the not making things complicated thing. You pick what you want, put it on hold, give the setting vendor instructions and he pays for it.

But, I would like to ask a question. Why don't you contribute your own funds to the ring budget? I would spend the 5k on a stone and a temp setting. Then save up for your dream setting yourself. That way you respect his budget, but also get what you want.

Gypsy-I called Bev K and they have a dealer in our area but she wants me to call the dealer and see what they have because she said they have no placed any orders in a long time. So that on my to do list!

I totally understand what you are saying about the tiptoe. I had to have a heart to heart with him because we picked the Gabriel setting in January and then he never did anything. So, i got upset. I think he realized that it hurt me. So on Monday, he told me to figure out what i want so he could get it. I know he did not do this intentionally. He just wanted to wait a little longer since we had just bought our house in December. Thank you for the advice on that. I tend to overcomplicate and you made it so clear!! I just need to pick something and we need to buy it!!

As for your question-I offered to contribute and he said no because it's supposed to be his gift to me. However, i already decided that if I want to upgrade in the future, I will pay for it and he can contribute if he wants to. But, I don't want him to think I'm going to replace the ER as soon as I get it!!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1343740398|3243570 said:

Thanks Rubybeth - I like this one:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7999W44JJ

The only thing is I wish it had double claw prongs or fishtail prongs. I know that Gabriel does some customization so I would need Lynda to ask. I can't tell if the diamonds stop after the round on the shank? It looks like it does and then there is engraving on the bottom part.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
mandasand|1343741560|3243578 said:
rubybeth|1343740398|3243570 said:

Thanks Rubybeth - I like this one:

The only thing is I wish it had double claw prongs or fishtail prongs. I know that Gabriel does some customization so I would need Lynda to ask. I can't tell if the diamonds stop after the round on the shank? It looks like it does and then there is engraving on the bottom part.

You should definitely, DEFINITELY ask! I contacted Gabriel & Co. directly because I wondered EXACTLY the same thing about double claw or fishtail prongs!! They responded within 24 with a YES! And I'm guessing the diamonds/engraving could be adjusted to your liking, as well.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Update: Lynda at GOG is going to send me a video on two stones so that I can see the size/color. She says they are all beautiful, it will just depend what clarity and color works with the budget.

She is also getting me pricing on these two Gabriel settings:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7527W44JJ

For the first setting, Lynda said their setter can changed the prongs to either a double claw or a fishtail, but they have to wait until they get the setting to see what will be possible. I was thinking changing the prongs would give the setting a more unique look. One question I have is do you think that setting sits too high? I would like the setting to be low. I really dislike the head the way it looks now. I know it's a very standard head, but it bugs me. I know, I'm super picky.

I am also researching other settings from the Gabriel website and I'm still considering Bev K. I am feeling frustrated with my experience with LJN so if I can find a setting from GOG or another reputable jeweler I think I should stick with that. GOG has been so helpful and they want me happy. They have never once said NO.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
mandasand|1343756516|3243714 said:
Update: Lynda at GOG is going to send me a video on two stones so that I can see the size/color. She says they are all beautiful, it will just depend what clarity and color works with the budget.

She is also getting me pricing on these two Gabriel settings:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7527W44JJ

For the first setting, Lynda said their setter can changed the prongs to either a double claw or a fishtail, but they have to wait until they get the setting to see what will be possible. I was thinking changing the prongs would give the setting a more unique look. One question I have is do you think that setting sits too high? I would like the setting to be low. I really dislike the head the way it looks now. I know it's a very standard head, but it bugs me. I know, I'm super picky.

I am also researching other settings from the Gabriel website and I'm still considering Bev K. I am feeling frustrated with my experience with LJN so if I can find a setting from GOG or another reputable jeweler I think I should stick with that. GOG has been so helpful and they want me happy. They have never once said NO.

GOG was FANTASTIC at getting the modifications I wanted, plus Bev K is GORGEOUS. Look at pics of my ring and pics of Upgradable's to see the profiles, then specify the gallery you want. FYI, my entire ring was $4290, incl. modifications to the Bev K (stone was $2670 of that). If you love the Single Stone, you'll be happy with the Bev K. If you go with a smaller stone, I highly recommend some sort of halo.

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, which two stones? I love that they do video for their customers. Everything I have heard about GOG just seems great.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, the K! Put it on hold NOW! :) It'll look gorgeous with claws in that first setting! Plus the size difference. It's gorgeous!

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
I didn't notice the inclusions in the 0.92 -- I like that one a lot (but of course they're both beautiful).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price and color of each?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
K at 92 points in a heartbeat. It will NOT be too much on your finger at 5.8mm. Trust me. I'm not one of the big diamond wearers on here. I know of what I speak. It's just enough bigger than the other to show off that chunky faceting to an advantage.

PUT IT ON HOLD.

UberClaire

Shiny_Rock
Was the 0.92 K the one you had posted about earlier, saying that GOG had told you that that one was not eye clean? The video wasn't super clear and didn't show a lot of angles -- I didn't see anything glaring, I just don't want you to get it and constantly be playing "find the inclusion."

It's a beautiful stone, though.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Uber - no, that stone is not eye clean. This is what Matt said last week:
Diamond #9089 is not 100% eye clean; however the inclusion is off to the side and also hard to see. People focus their attention on the center of the diamond, so no one should notice the inclusion either unless they go far out of their way to look for it.

Oh, and I also just found this setting. Someone knock me out:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7925W83JJ

sixbillionstars

Rough_Rock
mandasand|1343762405|3243774 said:
Diamond #9089 is not 100% eye clean; however the inclusion is off to the side and also hard to see. People focus their attention on the center of the diamond, so no one should notice the inclusion either unless they go far out of their way to look for it.

Okay, I LOVE that setting!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

I'm SOLD! <jumping up and down> Go put in your order, can't wait to see it!!! I wouldn't get the matchy band, though, if you do.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
webdiva|1343767938|3243826 said:

I'm SOLD! <jumping up and down> Go put in your order, can't wait to see it!!! I wouldn't get the matchy band, though, if you do.

No matchy band. I want a straight one anyway, even if there is a gap. I will need to get some price quotes on a couple settings before I made a decision on that. Right now, I am waiting to hear back from honey about diamonds. If we can put something on hold, then it gives me a little space to focus on a setting.

QUESTION:
Why should I buy a stone that is NOT eye clean?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the inclusions pose no risk to durability then it's a matter of whether or not he birthmark will bother you. I know Asscher_girl has an asscher with an eye visible inclusion in it, right under the table. It's a small white one. Doesn't bother me, or her at all. I could live with it, especially with a halo setting.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOVE IT!!! It's perfect!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Two things.

In a previous thread of yours, you said you weren't really a fan of warmth. Putting a halo around a "K" colored cushion, which will show more warmth than a round brilliant anyway, will most likely highlight that warmth. Some people love this contrast, some don't, and I thought I'd bring this up given what you said.

I own an AVC (three, actually) and if you go with the SI2, I would highly recommend seeing it in person before having it set. I sent back both an SI1 and a VS2 before finding my eye-clean SI1 center. The chunky facets don't hide inclusions like the more brilliant cuts do, and it's great that they aren't on the table, but you should really see if they'd bother you even toward the sides. If it's an eye-clean SI2, that's fantastic. But you want to eyeball that sucker every which way just to make sure, like someone said before, you aren't constantly playing (and being annoyed by) spot the inclusion(s).

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with EB - was just going to post that you should see the stone prior to setting if you have reservations. I got mine sent out to me prior so I could see if I was happy with it. I loved it and paid $30 to get it send back to GOG. Totally worth it.

I can't see the inclusion in the video or the picture (but the water mark is over that area). The diamond is so much smaller than the picture that it may not bother you. You want to be 100% happy with this stone prior to setting since they'll customize the setting to stone size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... after reading EB's post I'm changing my vote.

I say get the I colored stone instead. It's only .2mm smaller (which the halo will make up for) and is going to be much whiter and more mindclean.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Ok - here are the finalists, just read over your other threads. Changing my vote.

You said you don't like warmth - but not sure if the diamonds you saw from the jeweler were GIA or AGS? Were they EGL?

Here are all the AVC choices:
1. .73 G SI1 - 5.28 x 5.35 - $3200 - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9411/ (looks eye clean)
2. .76 I VS2 - 5.38 x 5.5 - $3400 - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9344/ (eye clean)
3. .82 K VVS2 - 5.45 x 5.63 -$2900 - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9492/ (eye clean)
4. .92 K SI2 - 5.71 x 5.8 - $3000 - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9089/ (small inclusion in bottom)

For reference, my .88 POH is 5.5 mm but my halo is bigger than the ring you like (I have an airline).

If you are concerned about getting a ring that's too big (sacrilege on PS! :tongue: ) and you are not a fan of warmth (which is one of the charms of the AVC) - then it looks like the .73 and .76 are better choices for you. I'm leaning towards the .73 G in this case.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
E B|1343771693|3243860 said:
Two things.

In a previous thread of yours, you said you weren't really a fan of warmth. Putting a halo around a "K" colored cushion, which will show more warmth than a round brilliant anyway, will most likely highlight that warmth. Some people love this contrast, some don't, and I thought I'd bring this up given what you said.

I own an AVC (three, actually) and if you go with the SI2, I would highly recommend seeing it in person before having it set. I sent back both an SI1 and a VS2 before finding my eye-clean SI1 center. The chunky facets don't hide inclusions like the more brilliant cuts do, and it's great that they aren't on the table, but you should really see if they'd bother you even toward the sides. If it's an eye-clean SI2, that's fantastic. But you want to eyeball that sucker every which way just to make sure, like someone said before, you aren't constantly playing (and being annoyed by) spot the inclusion(s).

Hi EB,
Yes...I see warmth. But, I have only looked at a couple cushions and they were not anything great. I sort of rely on the GOG videos to see if I think K is too warm. My other concern is the eye cleanliness.

I am leaning in one direction. Waiting to find out what my BF thinks. He's looking at everything right now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results