shape
carat
color
clarity

My recent purchases - vintage all - but must sell some

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
I have totally been bitten by the vintage diamond bug! Finally have some pics of the ebay finds. My DH doesn't care for one of them - says it's too big for my short stubby fingers! Anyway, here they are.

This one is about a 5.5mm oec, sold as .55ct but I hope it may be bigger? K-L in color but I don't really know. In an 18k white setting with wear on the sides from rings rubbing. I really like it, but would not mind a larger one!

DSC_1430.JPG

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Here it is with my grandma's wedding band.

DSC_1486.JPG

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Here's a five stone in 14k two tone gold. Vintage setting, not sure what the diamonds are! Three have open culets for sure, one is largish. The other two, maybe. The stones are approx. .25ct each.
I'm wearing it with the wedding band...

This is the one my DH doesn't care for.

DSC_1537.JPG

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
A super-close macro of the 5 stone!

DSC_1435.JPG

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
This one I love as it has a presence on the finger due to the illusion head - but I just don't "need" it! A Jabel 18k white gold, ~.44ct oec:

DSC_1570.JPG

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
I'm on the fence about this one! .40ct center oec, two tone 14k gold, Jabel. I like it, but wish it was bigger!

DSC_1505.JPG

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
So there you have my foray into vintage diamonds... learning as I go! I would sell them all for one bigger oec that I could wear as an e-ring... Oh, I almost forgot my rhr that started me off! This one I think I will keep - ~1ctw in platinum with a 1/2ct center. Comments welcome on which to sell!

DSC_1303.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice collection!

I like the RHR that started you off - the last photo - the best, if I could only pick one. If you had to eliminate one, I'd select between the 2 Jabel OEC solitaires - they are both very similar. I'd definitely keep the 5.5mm OEC. The 5 stone design doesn't thrill my tastes, but the 5 diamonds do! That I would have reset.

That's just me. I never met a sparkle I didn't like (to paraphrase Mae West! ;)) )

What are you leaning towards? Quite the little treasure box you amassed!!! Congratulations on all your beautiful purchases!!! :appl:

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the opinions - I agree with you! I think it's the massiveness of the 5 stone that overpowers me. The diamonds look clear and no problems.... I would consider resetting but haven't the first clue how to go about that! Also, I am a bit of a penny pincher so can't make myself spend much to do that. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears. I do think I would like that ring if the diamonds were a bit distinct as opposed to a mass presentation of white gold!

I love the last one too as it is so unique. I would only sell that if I had to, or found something I couldn't live without to upgrade to.

The solitaires - I would keep the two tone Jabel - it's just perfect, only small. The 5.5 oec I think I will keep unless I find a bigger one I can afford.

So, it's sell the .44ct solitaire, probably the 5 stone, and maybe the two tone Jabel... Would love to wear the larger oec as a pendent someday, maybe. I can wear the large platinum one as an ering if needed!

Nice to hear feedback, I appreciate it - my dh and sons just roll their eyes.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

Did you see Dreamer_D's gorgeous .97 OEC in a cool fishtail setting? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/0-97ct-oec-i-vs2-egl-t173769.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/0-97ct-oec-i-vs2-egl-t173769.html[/URL]

You want that, I know you do! I think that would be perfect for you. Sell the other stuff, except your RHR, and get this one, even if you have to throw in a few more bucks.

I like the two-tone Jabel but I can understand why it may not be big enough. I like the size of my 3/4 ct. OEC because the setting makes it look larger without your realizing it. The extra bit surrounding the girdle is so thin that you don't really notice that it's there so the diamond looks bigger than it is.

I like the five-stone but there's a lot of metal around those diamonds. I think you'd like it better if the diamonds were in a different setting but it may not be worth trying to get a new ring made.

liz

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great collection! I agree about resetting the 5-stone, the stones look better than the setting. I like all the others, it's a tough choice deciding which one(s) to sell!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I love your collection! If you want to sell or are thinking about it, I would first find out what you have (appraisal or certs). I would think those kind of pieces would probably go pretty fast. I am with you on the strict budget thing. I am a stay at home (well I work a little too) mom and have a tough time justifying a "luxury piece." I think of all the practical uses for the cash instead.
Whatever you decide, you have good taste. These are beauties!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for all the comments! It helps to hash things "out loud"!

Okay, I am with you guys on selling most of it! Vinjewels, you mentioned getting appraisals or cert... I hate to admit it, but I don't even know what a cert is! A far as appraisals, my jeweler is NOT who I would trust for any analysis of a stone... He's more of a bench/pawn shop, but he sure can resize rings well and cheaply! I asked about a ring I had, and had been told vvs1-2 and E-F by the seller, and he glanced at it (not cleaned) for a sec and said SI1 and G. But I don't think he really cared that much so I took that with a grain of salt.

Liz, I had not seen dreamer d's ring, and you are so right! It's exactly what I'm looking for! Trouble is I'm a bit of a cheapskate and hate to buy unless it's a massive deal. Hers may very well be a fantastic deal, but more than I think I'm comfortable spending, and it sounds like it could take some time for me to sell everything! I will think about it though for sure! The omc - well, hard to see the stone and I love symmetry, and not sure that has enough of that.... Maybe! But it doesn't sound that much bigger than my old tinted oec.

So, I am going to think about a ring like dreamer d's.... Perhaps even dream about her ring? and ponder how to sell these pieces when I don't really know what I have!

I guess I do know I love vintage, oec, platinum.... And size! DH is okay with me buying and selling as long as I at least break even; coming out ahead would be much more palatable for him.

I do like the white sparkle of the 5 stone, but what a massive U-prong setting. It really is nicer than it looks in the photos, but still very blocky and over substantial.

Any basic directions on getting a decent affordable appraisal would be much appreciated! I live in a medium town - should I just call up some jewelers and ask if they do appraisals? I don't really know what GIA means - should I ask if they have any GIA classes or training?

I think I am over my Jabel love affair... Close to recovering from my Granat Bros infatuation too! The fam will be glad.

Thanks again ladies!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

Maybe you should just go for the one thing that you think you will want to keep. Sell the rest (excluding the RHR). You may or may not come out ahead, but if you're done buying, you may have to chalk off any loss to "entertainment." What can I say? Most hobbies are a losing proposition. It's going to be hard to do this long term and come out ahead.

Dreamer_D's ring seems like a good deal. If my 3/4 carat OEC ring will cost over $4K to replace, then her almost 1 ct. diamond should be worth more than that, probably a good bit more than that so her price seems quite reasonable. The setting is interesting and a little bit different.

Or you could see if you could find something like my 3/4 carat for $1500-2000. As long as you get a nice diamond with a subtle illusion head of some sort, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck.

Use your favorite search engine to find "jewelry appraisal yourtown" and you'll probably turn something up. I found an appraiser who works while you wait, although his prices are considerably higher than those of the jeweler that I use. The appraiser I found does the appraisal while you wait and provides a more comprehensive appraisal than my jeweler does, but I don't need photos or a clarity plot for my items, which the more expensive appraiser gives. My jeweler charges $50 for the first item and $20 for additional ones with diamonds, $10 for additional ones without. All I get is a basic description (diamond number, size, color, clarity, metal type and weight) and replacement value, but that's all I need.

You do need to know what you have so you can price it accordingly. Otherwise, you may ask too much and not sell it or price too low. Potential buyers will be more comfortable if you have something official. You probably do want a GIA trained appraiser.

liz

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lucyruth|1333567933|3163473 said:
This one I love as it has a presence on the finger due to the illusion head - but I just don't "need" it! A Jabel 18k white gold, ~.44ct oec:

This one is listed on ebay right now with the same photo! I hope its you selling and not a scammer. ETA: I don't know if you should invest in an appraiser for items like this. Maybe the ring with the 5.5mm stone, which is likely over .60ct with that diameter. BUT I do think it is worth going out and buying a pair of digital calipers at least so you can provide accurate measurements to buyers, they will want those at a minimum. And good photos that show facet patterns, but you have those, your pictures are quite good. Good luck!

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Yes, I just put that Jabel on eBay! Hoping to at least break even and start replenishing the PayPal account! Great idea on the calipers. Will go look for some on eBay or amazon today.

Edited to add: thanks for the compliments on the photos and rings. My rings are eclectic bc I am impulsive! But I've been working hard to take good photos. Still don't quite get those beautiful macros.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
lucyruth,

Don't forget to post on the preloved forum with a link to your ebay listing!

liz

lucyruth

Shiny_Rock
Oh yeah! Totally never thought of that. Will do!
ETA just wrote a long post on there... Linked to eBay.... Then it would not let me upload a pic... Then I accidentally hit the back button and lost it! So maybe tomorrow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results