shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut, Symmetry and Polish

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I have read that symmetry and polish doesn''t get accounted for in assigning the cut grade? Geometrically speaking, wouldn''t a stone with not so good symmetry reflect light in an happazard fashion? How can such a diamond be graded as Ideal/Excellent inspite of an OK symmetry. I think symmetry should be an important factor in how fiery/scintillating a diamond could reflect the light. I am NO expert. Experts want to weigh in on this one?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/21/2004 9:26
6.gif
8 AM
Author:kevinraja
I have read that symmetry and polish doesn't get accounted for in assigning the cut grade? Geometrically speaking, wouldn't a stone with not so good symmetry reflect light in an happazard fashion? How can such a diamond be graded as Ideal/Excellent inspite of an OK symmetry. I think symmetry should be an important factor in how fiery/scintillating a diamond could reflect the light. I am NO expert. Experts want to weigh in on this one?

Hello Kevinraja,

Here is a definition from the glossary of what a lab grades (symmetry).

Link to symmetry def.

Edited: Hmm. Click on the weird small dash and you'll get the link... I am on a puter at the airport and html seems twitchy.
Edited again: Ahh. Fixed it. (stupid airport!)

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
no--symmetry may or may not have anything to do with it. it only means how well one half of the diamond matches the other. symmetry means the most in a round diamond. i actually think very good polish or better is noticeable and makes a difference..............

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results