shape
carat
color
clarity

do you do pilates or yoga?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
i took a pilates class yesterday and OMG....every muscle in my stomach is sore. my neck is even sore! my gym offers pilates and yoga classes daily and i am thinking of adding these on until the wedding as a way to sort of switch up my exercise routine. anyways, do any of you do these classes? can you tell a difference in your body since starting them?

dani2142

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t yet... but I''m curious too of the response you get. Right now I just run and lift weights. I''m sure I''ll get sick of it before my February 2010 wedding so fill us in ladies if you do either! Which one is better then the other? :) Thanks!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I was doing Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) for a while (although I''m currently not b/c triathlon training doesn''t leave much extra time!) While I was doing Bikram, I lost weight like CRAZY! It was like the pounds were melting off. (I''ve seen the same effect with Hot Vinyasa Flow Yoga. I''ve actually gained weight and size since I stopped doing Bikram even though I''m spending much more time doing much more intense workouts (swim, run, bike).

I think hot yoga is supposed to burn 2x more calories than regular yoga. Hot yoga was also great for my skin, all of my muscle aches and joint pain started to go away...it''s amazing!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
OMG YES! Pilates hurts, but it is really the only workout I've found that tones my entire body super quickly. I especially like that pilates seems to form long, lean, "feminine" muscles (as opposed to bulky muscles, which I'm inclined to get with other workouts). Normally I also do light yoga most days (I do pilates 2-3 times per week). Yoga is a huge help with my migraines and a great stress/body ache reliever.

The classes definitely make for a better overall workout, but I also do pilates and yoga at home on certain days. Both Comcast and Time Warner Cable have Exercise On-Demand stations where you can just choose the workout you want from your living room, and I definitely take advantage of this on certain days.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
thanks ladies! ok i''m gearing up for round 2! i''m going for hatha yoga in a few minutes!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I love yoga, it''s such a great stress reliever I always feel so calm and relaxed after! I can tell I''ve gotten a lot stronger since starting, but other than that my weight/appearances seems the same, I also don''t really have any fat to lose to start with though.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I''ve done two 8 week pilates courses in the past couple of years, I originally only went along to keep my Mum company as she needed to go for back pain and she was nervous about going alone. It''s incredibly effective - the day after a class even laughing hurt! And it made a noticeable difference to my middle area, really defined my waist. Actually, thinking about it now, I should go back...

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I was doing yoga on my daughters wii and in the space of a week i could feel the difference in my strength, balance, coordination and overall ability in the excersizes, so i could only imagine how great the benefits of real yoga in a class with an instructor would be.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''ve recently tried yoga (just to a dvd). My muscles ache for sure (but it a good way) but since I just started I haven''t really noticed much change in my body. I like how it forces me to relax and concentrate.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
ok after taking pilates yesterday and yoga today, i think i preferred the pilates class. the movements felt much more natural to me (possibly because i''m clumsy)! however i did like how we ended the yoga class-we layed on our back and did breathing exercises to some relaxing music...it was so weird-i don''t know if it was one song or 3-i completely zoned out and kind of forgot i was even in a class until the instructor started speaking. that was incredible!

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Cocolaw: That''s awesome you''re mixing up your routine! I''ve never gotten into yoga, but really enjoy pilates. My mom has been swearing by yoga for over 15 years (well before it got "popular" so to speak!), but it still just bores me! I know when I stick to pilates about 3x a week, I really see a difference in my midsection. I''ve fallen off the wagon lately but you''re inspiring me to get back into it! Good luck
1.gif

SassyB

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 11:53:49 AM
Author: cocolaw
ok after taking pilates yesterday and yoga today, i think i preferred the pilates class. the movements felt much more natural to me (possibly because i''m clumsy)! however i did like how we ended the yoga class-we layed on our back and did breathing exercises to some relaxing music...it was so weird-i don''t know if it was one song or 3-i completely zoned out and kind of forgot i was even in a class until the instructor started speaking. that was incredible!
ha! I fell asleep one time during this part of yoga and ended up laying there for a LONG time! haha!!

I like pilates if I''m in the mood for a workout and yoga if I feel like I need relaxation.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i took yoga in college and HATED it, i ended up getting a C- for participation on the days i dragged myself out of bed and went lol

my sister does bikram yoga 3 times a week though so to each their own!

andex23

Rough_Rock
Trade
I started taking "Yoga for the Inflexible" at my gym (Equinox) and I really enjoy it. I find that it adds a great change to my regular workout (treadmill, elliptical, etc). Not only am I sweating up a storm, I really like it because it is a great opportunity for me to work the "other" muscles in my body--the ones that aren''t worked out doing regular cardio stuff. It''s a great s-t-r-e-t-c-h session as well.

I''m trying to get motivated to go to a more advanced class, like a yoga flow or a vinyasa class...we''ll see.

miss_flo

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been doing both pilates and yoga on and off for about two years and I can definitely tell the difference in my posture and muscles. I do them both mostly for stress relief :) Pilates is definitely challenging and sweaty sometimes (especially when you get to intermediate/advanced levels with a roller) but the whole time I''m in class I feel nothing but peace. Have fun!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I love pilates. Well, I did before I was pregnant. It is a wonderful workout that will definitely tone your muscles up (especially your core). Yoga helps with posture and showing off these new muscles better. It''s also relaxing and since there are a ton of different types, there is a yoga for everyone.

If you are looking for other ways to get long, lean muscles, using resistance bands is a good way without lifting heavy weights. It''s always been great for me because I don''t have the most stable back in history.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Yoga tends to bore me but love pilates, I take a 55 min 3x week after half an hour cardio, my posture improved rapidly and curently working on sculpting....my pectoral region is def firmer [after two kids] also like the motivating/social part of it
10.gif

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Oh No! I was going to go to a pilates class today at 6:30. Now I''m scared. Ha Ha.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi, I shouldn''t really be in here as I am no longer a Bride, but anyway...

Can anyone suggest a good, short (30 min or less) pilates home workout dvd? I would really like to increase my flexibility and am already doing 30 day shred most days so I don''t want anything too long.

Thanks!

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
forgive me, what is 30 day shred?

iloveny

Shiny_Rock
@shimmer- I have Ana Caban''s intermediate pilates abs workout, and it''s great. I''ve had it for years, and it works really well.

I like pilates, but I really love yoga more. I think you really have to stick with yoga to enjoy it though- the first few months are really tough, but once your body loosens up a bit it''s amazing. I feel my best when I''m taking yoga regularly, but for me, running is the quickest way to see results. It''s good to switch it up though, and keep your body guessing!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to a Bikram Yoga class on sunday with four of my girlfriends =).

I think this discussion made me want to go, eventhough I have been thinking about it for a while =)).

Thanks for starting the thread coco!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
I love love LOVE pilates!! When I first started, I lost about 4 inches from my waist and thighs in the first four sessions! While I guess that's kind of an extreme example of what happens when you find something that just totally fits, workout-wise, I have actually turned many, many friends onto Pilates, and they're all now absolutely bonkers for it also. I love, as Inanna mentioned, the long, feminine muscles Pilates gives you, but also I love feeling stronger every class, and the extreme focus on breathing just clears my head and helps me forget all the stressful stuff floating around in my head
1.gif
Also all that stretching makes you feel amaaaaaazing, although I'm sure that's also true (probably even moreso) with yoga. I can't really speak to the comparison between the two because I haven't done any yoga extensively, but I am a huge proponent of Pilates. I would stress, however, how important it is to find a good instructor, and see what style of Pilates suits you best.

I have NEVER been the 'I love to work out' type, but I actually get sad when I can't go into the studio to train, and it makes me
39.gif
when I look back at pictures from when I was religiously doing Pilates twice a week. I can't recommend it enough!
9.gif

Jen_91909

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/1/2009 8:45:20 AM
Author: nclrgirl
I was doing Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) for a while (although I''m currently not b/c triathlon training doesn''t leave much extra time!) While I was doing Bikram, I lost weight like CRAZY! It was like the pounds were melting off. (I''ve seen the same effect with Hot Vinyasa Flow Yoga. I''ve actually gained weight and size since I stopped doing Bikram even though I''m spending much more time doing much more intense workouts (swim, run, bike).

I think hot yoga is supposed to burn 2x more calories than regular yoga. Hot yoga was also great for my skin, all of my muscle aches and joint pain started to go away...it''s amazing!

Excited to see this-- I LOVE Bikram yoga! Have been doing it about a year now. To be honest, I find it difficult to keep weight ON with this too. It seems to rev up my metabolism something fierce.

cocolaw

Brilliant_Rock
this is unreal! ok i am a regular exerciser. i run a lot and i do weights. i did pilates monday, yoga tuesday, pilates again today and i cannot even describe my muscle fatigue! i couldn''t do anything today! my arms were shaking, my legs were shaking. i was really pathetic compared to the 60 year old women.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Ok i did bikram yoga on sunday and seriously, i think i broke my body

good exercise though

honey22

Ideal_Rock
My sister does yoga and her arms look so toned and fabulous now!

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
When I was in college I did a lot of bikini contests (Hawaiian Tropic). All I did at the time was Pilates and my abs were incredible. However I was also walking several miles a day between classes on a massive campus! If your gym offers Body Pump, or something similar I would add that AND Pilates to your routine and you will be looking FABULOUS! Pilates did change my shape slightly but not as much as the Body Pump did.

As for regular Yoga, I think it is great for stress relief and flexibility, but I have never found it to be much of a workout.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been interested in trying Bikram yoga for a while, now. This thread has inspired me to go this week!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results