shape
carat
color
clarity

My pug''s new wheels!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of people asked me to post this when the time came....

Today we received the wheelchair that we ordered online for our pug!

Quick background.... Oliver is 7 years old and he is partially paralyzed. He has degenerative disk disease AKA Intervertabral Disk Disease (IVDD). Since it is something he was born with, and about 5-6 disks are bulging at this point, he is not a candidate for surgery
7.gif
. But nevertheless, he still gets around great and only drags his feet when he walks. The dragging has gotten so bad that we haven''t taken him on a real walk for over a year now! So although he still has a lot of mobility we thought it was time to get a wheelchair.

So it came today
36.gif
and after about an hour of tinkering and adjusting it we were ready to give it a try.

He did really well!
36.gif
He was very patient while I adjusted it and with a little food-encouragement, took steps. After a little adjustment period, he was walking around fine. It was almost as if he didn''t even know it was there, although he did because he was reluctant to walk up on the curb or even go on grass that was a little higher than the sidewalk.

The only thing I am disappointed about is that since he still has pretty good use of his hind legs, I had hoped he would be able to use them in the wheelchair. Unfortunately, as soon as I put him in it, his back legs became spastic and he wasn''t using them. So I had to put his feet up.

Anyway just wanted to share my news with everyone. Here''s the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Cvx4mR4Sg

And here''s a cute pic of him in his cart. He is sleeping really hard right now, exhausted from his first walk in forever!
9.gif

pugchair1234.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww he is such a cutie! I am sure he will enjoy being able to get out and about again.

*Danielle*

Shiny_Rock
That is awesome! He must me one happy pug.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
He looks like a natural in his cart! What a sweetheart.

I''m so happy to see him walking around!

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
oh my goodness, that is the sweetest thing I''ve seen in a long time...he is so sweet I just want to pick him up and hug him!!!!! That''s wonderful you were able to buy him that little apparatus so he can ge around
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for the new wheels, he''ll be loving them I''m sure!!! Thank you for sharing, this is awesome.
1.gif

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
That''s awesome that you were able to find your furbaby something to get around!

E B

Ideal_Rock
He looks so happy. What a fabulous pug mom you are to give him this opportunity.
36.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!
1.gif
Dog wheelchairs are super expensive (around $300) and it was a really big decision to get this for him because he is still walking. But I found a seller on Ebay who makes them much cheaper in China. I was a bit nervous that it wasn''t a scam because it was so much cheaper, and if anything went wrong I''d have to ship it back to China. But it turned out great! It''s not as fancy as other carts but it gets the job done. I''m really happy with it and I think Oliver is too!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Olive is soooo gorgeous Mia
30.gif
you must be so proud of him for having such a fine go of that miraculous invention, he''s sooo sweet in it
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
This just tugged at my heart strings. Bless little Oliver''s heart. You are such a good doggie mommy. I am so happy that he can go for his walks now.

Linda

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Such a cutie! There is a dog in my apartment complex who also has a wheelchair and he is so adorable when he takes his daily walks!

ang3199

Brilliant_Rock
oh my goodness! Go Oliver! I love stories like this that really show someone''s love for their animals! I''m sure he will be so happy.
36.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
OMG that is so sweet and your little furbaby Oliver is just to cute for words :)

YAY for him getting more mobility back :)

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mia, thanks for sharing this! Oliver is such a cutie-pie!
30.gif

I smile every time I see your avatar . . . I just love that picture!!!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AWWWWWWWWwwwwww, sooooo freakin'' adorable, Oliver is!!!! Thank you for sharing the pics and vid!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Awwww. I want to hug the little guy. That''s so cool that you got him a wheelchair.

tenfour

Shiny_Rock
he is a sweetie!! congrats on the new wheels!!
last year one of the pugs in the local rescue wheeled around the christmas fundraiser party with her cart. i don''t even think she realized she had no use of her hind legs.
thank you for posting the video and best of luck to oliver!!

mabelandchair.JPG

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
awwww!!! Yay for Oliver!!! He''s very lucky to have such a loving family. It''s wonderful that he has his mobility back! YAY!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Awww thanks everyone! And I think he is pretty darn cute too, but I am totally biased!
2.gif
I do have to say he usually has a lot more spunk than is shown in the video, but I think he was a bit confused about what exactly was going on. I can''t wait to use it again but I think I need to give him some rest time, he was really pooped last night. But I am super proud
16.gif
of how good he was through all of it. I saw a lot of videos on youtube of dog''s trying to adjust to the cart. A lot of them get scared and run from it, but since it is attached to them, they keep running faster and faster until they eventually crash into something. I just can''t believe how easy it was for him to get used to it. He''s still not sure about it, but he''ll get there.
1.gif

Irishgrrrl- This is for you: It''s my avatar unsmushed. (I think it''s pretty funny too!
9.gif
) I can''t remember if you are the one I told the story of it to, so I''ll tell it again. This was a few years ago, I snapped it with my cellphone. We were going for a walk and when he is done walking he just stops there and refuses to move. So I was pulling on the leash and he''s totally resisting and I noticed how cute it is that all of the skin on his face is being smushed but he just stays put. Stubborn little punk! DH and I have a joke (or "had" when we could still walk him), that whenever he does this we say "Do Not Resist!" like cops on COPS yell at the person they arresting if the person is struggling.

olivernowalk.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Right on!
emthup.gif
36.gif
What a little hunnie!

cheers--Sharon

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 10:06:00 AM
Author: tenfour
he is a sweetie!! congrats on the new wheels!!
last year one of the pugs in the local rescue wheeled around the christmas fundraiser party with her cart. i don''t even think she realized she had no use of her hind legs.
thank you for posting the video and best of luck to oliver!!
Aww she''s cute! Yep Oliver doesn''t realize his back legs don''t work when he is out of the wheelchair, so of course in the wheelchair it seems like he doesn''t notice he''s not using them either.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
That is fantastic that you found one for him! He is SO CUTE with it too!!! I love pugs. I''m sure he''s probably going to be happy to get to walk along with everyone now!!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2008 11:05:23 AM
Author: mia1181
Awww thanks everyone! And I think he is pretty darn cute too, but I am totally biased!
2.gif
I do have to say he usually has a lot more spunk than is shown in the video, but I think he was a bit confused about what exactly was going on. I can''t wait to use it again but I think I need to give him some rest time, he was really pooped last night. But I am super proud
16.gif
of how good he was through all of it. I saw a lot of videos on youtube of dog''s trying to adjust to the cart. A lot of them get scared and run from it, but since it is attached to them, they keep running faster and faster until they eventually crash into something. I just can''t believe how easy it was for him to get used to it. He''s still not sure about it, but he''ll get there.
1.gif

Irishgrrrl- This is for you: It''s my avatar unsmushed. (I think it''s pretty funny too!
9.gif
) I can''t remember if you are the one I told the story of it to, so I''ll tell it again. This was a few years ago, I snapped it with my cellphone. We were going for a walk and when he is done walking he just stops there and refuses to move. So I was pulling on the leash and he''s totally resisting and I noticed how cute it is that all of the skin on his face is being smushed but he just stays put. Stubborn little punk! DH and I have a joke (or ''had'' when we could still walk him), that whenever he does this we say ''Do Not Resist!'' like cops on COPS yell at the person they arresting if the person is struggling.
Thanks for posting your un-smushed avatar pic, Mia! He is just TOO ADORABLE!!!
30.gif

And LOL at the story behind that pic! I had never heard it before, and that''s just hilarious!!! What a little stinker!
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a little trooper! He''s adorable and I''m so glad he can get around now!

julesbeth

Brilliant_Rock
How wonderful!! What a cutie!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Ssssh mom, Oliver says it''s not a wheelchair it''s a Dog Segway. He''s way kewl.
2.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2008 1:42:56 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Ssssh mom, Oliver says it''s not a wheelchair it''s a Dog Segway. He''s way kewl.
2.gif
LOL!!!
9.gif

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Hurray for walks! I have to admit that while the video made me get all teary eyed for a bit, watching him try for the curb, miss, and then just refuse to believe you about the ramp was hilarious. You can totally see him thinking "nuh uh!"

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 1:42:56 PM
Author: purrfectpear
2.gif
Awww! Haha! I never know if I should call it a cart or wheelchair but it seems when I say "he''s getting a cart" I always have to clarify by saying wheelchair and then people know what I am talking about. Doggie Segway is much better!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results