shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding sets: any 2mm e-rings with 3mm wedding bands?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I just looked through 30+ pages of the eye candy folder
Fall_off_chair.gif
, but most of those are e-rings by themselves (or other bits and bobs). I am curious to see how wedding bands look when they''re just a little bit wider than the e-ring bands. If you have any pics or can point me in the direction of some, I''d really appreciate it.
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, rainydaze, that''s perfect!!! What a beautiful set you have!!
36.gif

Date: 5/4/2008 11:48:57 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 5/4/2008 8:02:55 AM

Author:gwendolyn

I just looked through 30+ pages of the eye candy folder
Fall_off_chair.gif

ROFL.
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe this will help too...

3mm by itself and with my e-ring, from the underside.

3mmexagain.jpg

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Gwen, funny to see this thread as Blinkydoll had just asked me yesterday to show her my 3mm Lucida plain band with my ering which has a shank of 2mm that tapers down to probably 1.5mm or less...

The link is here, for you to see a very thin shank with 3mm band.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/at-last-my-antique-ering-t61580-270.html

Personally, I dont like the 3mm plain with a very delicate ering band. I did try the 2mm with my ering and it looked lovely, much like Musey''s above photos, however, I knew I''d be wearing the plain band alone most of the time so it had to look good by itself and the 2mm was too thin alone on my finger...Hope that helps.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I took a couple pics for you...

The wider in both pics is the Tiffany Lucida (half-round) 3mm. The thinner one on the left is the stainless steel high dome 2mm, and the thinner one on the right is a 14k WG pipe-cut 2mm.

Just to show how different the width comparison is when you start messing with dome height!

2mmshapecompare.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 7:31:29 PM
Author: surfgirl

Personally, I dont like the 3mm plain with a very delicate ering band. I did try the 2mm with my ering and it looked lovely, much like Musey''s above photos, however, I knew I''d be wearing the plain band alone most of the time so it had to look good by itself and the 2mm was too thin alone on my finger...Hope that helps.
That has caused my back-and-forth as well! I found that I liked 2mm bands alone only if they were half-round or pipe cut (as opposed to the high dome). They look wider than the high dome I guess?

It''s such a preference thing, but I do agree with the 3mm being preferable for a stand-alone band.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2008 7:35:45 PM
Author: musey

The wider in both pics is the Tiffany Lucida (half-round) 3mm. The thinner one on the left is the stainless steel high dome 2mm, and the thinner one on the right is a 14k WG pipe-cut 2mm.

Just to show how different the width comparison is when you start messing with dome height!
Musey, you are the sweetest thing, thank you so much for taking pictures for me!! They are really helping me--I hadn''t even though about the visual difference between the high domes and the half dome rings! Oi, so much to learn! But you are fantastic, thank you so much for the photos!
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 3:17:56 AM
Author: ringster
i was trying to decide as well between 2mm and 3mm and i ended up going with 2.5mm with milgrain edge. it was as goldilocks would say ''just right''. have you tried 2.5mm as well?

from the top view, my ring tapers quite a bit from a little less than 2mm to about 5mm so not really what you are looking for but dunno maybe this info may help

the 2mm just got lost next to my ering and the 3mm just looked to big and out of place. however the 2.5mm let it''s presence be known but also helped to make my center stone POP. i feel like my OEC looks bigger and whiter with the band.

i had quest make it and i''m really happy with what they did.
Hiya, ringster! I was looking into the 3mm bands because I was thinking my e-ring would be 2mm and I wanted something a little bit wider for my wedding band, but a) 3mm might be a little wider than I was thinking, and b) I keep going back and forth between e-ring settings and the one I''m leaning toward now might have a wider shank than 2mm. So, I don''t know! I think a 2mm e-ring with a 2.5mm band would look good, so maybe if the e-ring is 2.5mm (I really don''t remember, it''s the Torchiere by MWM), maybe 3mm would be perfect?

I *think* I like the look of a full high dome ones (whatever the technical term is)...but I haven''t tried any on yet...decisions, decisions! Thank you so much for your help!
1.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the width that looks good definitely depends on the ring shape. To me a pipe cut 3mm looks much wider than a 3mm high domed.

With rings, if it''s not one thing, it''s another, isn''t it?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Hi! My e-ring shank is 1.5mm and my wedding band is 2mm (although they thinned it down a little on the top half for me. The pictures are pretty fuzzy, but here''s my pics thread.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Gwen, I think the Torchiere has a similar size/taper to the sunburst, in which case it's about 3mm at the bottom of the band and tapers to about 2mm at the base of the prongs. I just posted photos of the band we had Mark make for my sunburst, and it's about 2.5mm. I found that 2mm bands looked lost next to my ering, but 3mm took away from my diamond (1.3ct). Another case of Goldilocks!

I know you've seen the thread (thanks for the compliments!!), but I'll copy the pic here so you can look at the band sizes in context.

ETA: I think having the band actually makes my diamond look bigger.
10.gif

ladycielMWMset4.jpg

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 8:30:33 AM
Author: Addy
I think the width that looks good definitely depends on the ring shape. To me a pipe cut 3mm looks much wider than a 3mm high domed.

With rings, if it''s not one thing, it''s another, isn''t it?
I know! It''s so much more complicated one you really get into it! And J thought we could just go out one afternoon and pick up an engagement ring and some band--hahaha! Silly boy.
3.gif
2.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 9:51:32 AM
Author: anchor31
Hi! My e-ring shank is 1.5mm and my wedding band is 2mm (although they thinned it down a little on the top half for me. The pictures are pretty fuzzy, but here''s my pics thread.
Oh wow, Anchor, I LOVE your set!! I don''t think I''d seen it until now--it''s just beautiful! I love the band you choose, and your engagement ring is GORGEOUS, and they look fantastic together! I definitely do like the one band to be a bit bigger than the other. Thanks so much for the link!
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 10:05:36 AM
Author: ladyciel
Gwen, I think the Torchiere has a similar size/taper to the sunburst, in which case it''s about 3mm at the bottom of the band and tapers to about 2mm at the base of the prongs. I just posted photos of the band we had Mark make for my sunburst, and it''s about 2.5mm. I found that 2mm bands looked lost next to my ering, but 3mm took away from my diamond (1.3ct). Another case of Goldilocks!

I know you''ve seen the thread (thanks for the compliments!!), but I''ll copy the pic here so you can look at the band sizes in context.

ETA: I think having the band actually makes my diamond look bigger.
10.gif
Oh, ladyciel, thanks so much for replying--the Torchiere I think has the same shank as the Sunburst (I think it''s technically the head of the Flame on the body of the Sunburst). You have the regular Sunburst and not the petite, yes? Hmmm, I was thinking I would probably get the regular Torchiere, so if that''s 3mm, then I might do what you''ve done and go for a 2.5 wedding band. I like that it when the bands are slightly different sizes, but I don''t seem to mind whether the e-ring or the wedding band is wider.

And you''re very, very welcome for the compliments--your set is absolutely stunning, my dear!
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 7:00:41 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Date: 5/4/2008 7:35:45 PM

Musey, you are the sweetest thing, thank you so much for taking pictures for me!! They are really helping me--I hadn''t even though about the visual difference between the high domes and the half dome rings! Oi, so much to learn! But you are fantastic, thank you so much for the photos!
36.gif
No problem!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 12:51:52 PM
Date: 5/5/2008 7:00:41 AM

36.gif

No problem!!
By the way, your ring is one of my favourite asschers on PS--I LOVE them, and hope one day to have an asscher eternity band. And I don''t know who said anything about your ring''s ''shoulders'' but I think that setting really accentuates your stone beautifully! I love the way it tapers with the sidestones in it! It is a stunning ring!
smitten.gif

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 7:04:29 AM
Date: 5/5/2008 3:17:56 AM

Author: ringster

i was trying to decide as well between 2mm and 3mm and i ended up going with 2.5mm with milgrain edge. it was as goldilocks would say ''just right''. have you tried 2.5mm as well?

from the top view, my ring tapers quite a bit from a little less than 2mm to about 5mm so not really what you are looking for but dunno maybe this info may help

the 2mm just got lost next to my ering and the 3mm just looked to big and out of place. however the 2.5mm let it''s presence be known but also helped to make my center stone POP. i feel like my OEC looks bigger and whiter with the band.

i had quest make it and i''m really happy with what they did.

Hiya, ringster! I was looking into the 3mm bands because I was thinking my e-ring would be 2mm and I wanted something a little bit wider for my wedding band, but a) 3mm might be a little wider than I was thinking, and b) I keep going back and forth between e-ring settings and the one I''m leaning toward now might have a wider shank than 2mm. So, I don''t know! I think a 2mm e-ring with a 2.5mm band would look good, so maybe if the e-ring is 2.5mm (I really don''t remember, it''s the Torchiere by MWM), maybe 3mm would be perfect?

I *think* I like the look of a full high dome ones (whatever the technical term is)...but I haven''t tried any on yet...decisions, decisions! Thank you so much for your help!
1.gif

no problem! it''s amazing what a difference 0.5mm makes. and definitely go out and try out as many as you can - it''s not the same as looking online at pics. i wish that i had started trying things in person sooner as i think i wasted a bunch of time researching online

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i agree with ringster - 2.5mm is a great size. when i got married i wanted a thin band but the jeweler talked me out of it saying i needed 3mm to ''look married''. during my reset process i tried on many things and discovered that 2mm did look lost, but 2.5mm looked great with just about every ering setting i tried, including my original. made me wish i had stuck to my guns originally and not let the jeweler talk me out of it!

i am still considering getting a 2.5mm plain band just to wear on my right or left alone when the mood strikes. i still have my 3mm, but something about the 2.5mm just looks so much better! seems crazy, but so true!
19.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2008 9:45:59 PM
Author: surfgirl
Gwen, I know you saw this on my ering thread but just in case anyone else is wondering...I dont think it''s a good look - 3mm wband with 2mm ering shank...Looks weird to me...
I think some of that is the style of your engagement ring. That band has so much substance that it looks like it''s competing for attention from your engagement ring. My engagement ring will either be the Torchiere or the Leon classic solitaire (I think, anyway), and both of those have a more simple design than your e-ring. Really slim rings aren''t going to look right on my finger because it is ginormous (well, in the world of PS, anyway), so if I had an itty-bitty 2mm band (which the Leon is usually), I''d want a bit more substance to the band. Because the e-ring shank would be plain, I don''t think the wedding band would really compete with it as much. Although I could be wrong!! I haven''t see them in person yet. But going by pictures, I think a wedding band paired with your e-ring is a totally different animal to a wedding band paired with either the Leon classic or the Torchiere. I *think*. Could be totally wrong.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results