shape
carat
color
clarity

<3 setting, and an introduction

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
well that didn't last long. Headed to boston this weekend and we're going to a couple stores so we can see how color sensitive we both are so he can narrow HIS search for a diamond. ;-) though I anticipate I'll be in on the majority of the hunt.

Any recommended boston jewelers we should visit? Our last trip to DC made me despise B&M stores due to their aggressive selling tactics.

audball

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1335127472|3177925 said:
well that didn't last long. Headed to boston this weekend and we're going to a couple stores so we can see how color sensitive we both are so he can narrow HIS search for a diamond. ;-) though I anticipate I'll be in on the majority of the hunt.

Any recommended boston jewelers we should visit? Our last trip to DC made me despise B&M stores due to their aggressive selling tactics.
Haha, figures. I guess just enjoy the ride! I know absolutely nothing about the Boston area so I'll have to leave req's to others. Have fun!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I hate shopping for a diamond now, so stressful! I just want him to pick one out and give it to me

audball

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1335838863|3184519 said:
I hate shopping for a diamond now, so stressful! I just want him to pick one out and give it to me
Aww, sweetie, I'm sorry! It IS stressful. But don't let it rule your life. It should be a fun experience. Have you been shopping in person or just online?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
nicstx|1335838863|3184519 said:

aww. it shouldn't be stressful!!! I hope you are having fun looking at them, whether online or in person. hopefully it is all finalized soon!!!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
How did the shopping go?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Hi :wavey:

I think I know too much and too little about diamonds :errrr: . Shopping was another experience, we ended up in the jewelers building in a back office with a big safe and a LOTTA diamonds. It was definitely mind boggling, but also... stressful. I took all the knowledge I learned from the forum, put aside the little girl in me and... talked back. I fought off non-GIA/AGS diamonds like a champ, louped like crazy, knew my diamond carat costs, bargained and shut down a couple I didn't like.

the thing I DON'T like about diamond shopping is how they try to cast doubt in other diamonds you bring up, and talk their own up. It
1. makes me not trust them
2. makes me not trust what I've read
and
3. makes me question everything

so then you walk away and end up more confused than ever. We do have a couple good deals on the table, but...

After all that, I still want that estate piece... we can't afford it. I checked in on it recently and saw it wasn't sold yet - which means the seller is sticking to their guns and keeping it priced as is... bah. I feel bad that I want it, i hate that it's so expensive, and i hate that I want something that expensive because the cost alone makes me cringe thinking about wearing it (WHAT?! - yes, I am a contradiction thank you).

I just want him to find me something pretty and surprise me at the end of summer after I forget about everything and have it be done with. First world problems, eh?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
i just wanted to say that i saw your post on RT on the stores in boston and i plan to use that list next week haha :twirl:

as for the search, i really give you a lot of credit going in informed and keeping a level head. Part of the reason i prefer online is that i can look at every diamond without the bling factor and excitement of it being in front of me. I can look at the facts and the aset, idealscope etc and be done. If i was there in person and i saw massive bling i don't think i could be so poised...LOL Id be like EGL?!! AWESOME that thing sparkles.... LOL :naughty: This is why i cannot be in charge of choosing anything that possibly sparkles in person.

I really hope that you can find a diamond that works for you. Maybe because the estate piece is in the back of your mind, its making it harder for you to really fall in love with anything else? I know you said at the end that you want him to surprise you. How does you SO feel about surprising you? I just know that now that i've become smarter about diamonds (and believe me i dont really know much) - hes already told me he DOESNT want to surprise me because he thinks i will find something wrong with it and pull out my scope and loupe or something :nono: Maybe you just need some time to think about the choices you've seen and decide if any of them are worth seeing again?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I'm the same way. I'm definitely not a PSer in that I can't tell a bad sparkle from a good sparkle ;-).

Good luck shopping!! walking from tufts EB horn was on our left and we went into a little hole almost right after - but I think EB horn and the place we went to use the same wholesaler who took us up to his office after I shot down what he brought for us to see. 333 Washington is filled with jewelers. There are FLOORS of them - I don't even know what floor that guy took us to, I just know it was in a back corner and we needed to buzz through 2 doors to get in. I'd also consider emailing that place that knows about PS in my thread so that maybe you can discuss diamonds and they can get good ones for you to see in person? yes?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nicstx|1335909195|3185054 said:
Hi :wavey:

I think I know too much and too little about diamonds :errrr: . Shopping was another experience, we ended up in the jewelers building in a back office with a big safe and a LOTTA diamonds. It was definitely mind boggling, but also... stressful. I took all the knowledge I learned from the forum, put aside the little girl in me and... talked back. I fought off non-GIA/AGS diamonds like a champ, louped like crazy, knew my diamond carat costs, bargained and shut down a couple I didn't like.

the thing I DON'T like about diamond shopping is how they try to cast doubt in other diamonds you bring up, and talk their own up. It
1. makes me not trust them
2. makes me not trust what I've read
and
3. makes me question everything

so then you walk away and end up more confused than ever. We do have a couple good deals on the table, but...

After all that, I still want that estate piece... we can't afford it. I checked in on it recently and saw it wasn't sold yet - which means the seller is sticking to their guns and keeping it priced as is... bah. I feel bad that I want it, i hate that it's so expensive, and i hate that I want something that expensive because the cost alone makes me cringe thinking about wearing it (WHAT?! - yes, I am a contradiction thank you).

I just want him to find me something pretty and surprise me at the end of summer after I forget about everything and have it be done with. First world problems, eh?

I think you should not go with a vendor that makes you feel pressured. I have emailed and called reps from GOG and JbEG before. NONE were pushy. They are purely there to help you make an educated decision. I'm not trying to push these 2 particular vendors, as I have not purchased from either, but.. if you can't TRUST them, don't buy from them. You'll always doubt your purchase. You'll be frustrated if you have any issues and have to go back to them. GO WITH SOMEONE YOU TRUST. Build a relationship with them. Jeweler and client is a special relationship. They have to understand you and your needs, and support that. Anyone that "bashes" another vendor/another vendor's items are a no-no in my book. They have to be respectful that you're on a journey to look for your "forever" diamond.

I'm so sorry you're having a stressful situation. RE: that estate piece.. have you contacted other vendors to see if they can recreate that piece? Or if they have anything like that?

If you need help searching, I have a whole bookmarked folder of old rings, and I know the people in RockyTalky have way more than I do. A few of them are really good at recommending places.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Welp, cat's out of the bag. I emailed the seller again and the setting (not the diamond) have been sold. I guess I can let loose the piece we were looking at: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/214-Round-Brilliant-Leon-Mege/15274538_dVjc5s#!i=1732500246&k=gkL7kHG

Just way out of budget... and I can't justify going out of budget for the solitaire alone just to have it set later.

Anyhoo... I pouted for a little, and then became objective, and now moving on.

We have a virtual diamond we've been looking at for the past week or so... but it seems it's out of the country and can only be evaluated if we buy it - but can return it later. I think I'm going to post on rocky talky and get reccs for either ID jewelry or GOG for who I should go through. I initially told him I was done a couple hours ago, and he's currently actively searching for more diamonds and looks super cute and concerned.

I feel like this with Kourtney yelling "there are people dying!" in the background:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Rz1jLV2WI

if you have any suggestions please let me know!!!
Thanks for hearing me out, I feel like such a winy brat about this when I step back and listen to what I'm saying.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any suggestions but i know the people over in RT will be able to get you going in the right direction. I like to read over there and try to get myself edumacated :lol:

And i think it's a good thing you checked back up on that estate piece. Maybe knowing it is not for sale anymore will allow you to find something else in your price range that you will just love!

And no you are not a "whiny brat"...we are all in the same "boat" in a sense, we aren't here because we DONT like looking at diamonds....so at any one point one of us may be in the same predicament you are and thats why WE are here -- to sprinkle some dust, allow you to vent and give some opinions/advice! Believe me, i almost wish i could go back to my pre-PS days which i would have been happy with anything on my finger. As they say, ignorance is bliss haha!

And sidenote - Do you go to Boston often? I'm about 1 hr 15 mins away and go all.the.time...ok well like 1x a month at least ;-) I am heading to my fave restaurant in the north end for my bday next week, hence why i thought i could squeeze in some bling window shopping...he can't say no if it's my bday right?? :naughty:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
redsoxgrl|1335927285|3185344 said:
I don't have any suggestions but i know the people over in RT will be able to get you going in the right direction. I like to read over there and try to get myself edumacated :lol:

And i think it's a good thing you checked back up on that estate piece. Maybe knowing it is not for sale anymore will allow you to find something else in your price range that you will just love!

And no you are not a "whiny brat"...we are all in the same "boat" in a sense, we aren't here because we DONT like looking at diamonds....so at any one point one of us may be in the same predicament you are and thats why WE are here -- to sprinkle some dust, allow you to vent and give some opinions/advice! Believe me, i almost wish i could go back to my pre-PS days which i would have been happy with anything on my finger. As they say, ignorance is bliss haha!

And sidenote - Do you go to Boston often? I'm about 1 hr 15 mins away and go all.the.time...ok well like 1x a month at least ;-) I am heading to my fave restaurant in the north end for my bday next week, hence why i thought i could squeeze in some bling window shopping...he can't say no if it's my bday right?? :naughty:

I know, we tried and that's all that mattered :sick:

Boston! So, I'm not as close as you are, and my schedule STINKS (12 hour days, 6 day weeks) therefore I haven't been there but a handful of times. I'm unfortunately about 6 hours away, but make the trip every so often when I get time. This past weekend was my first time around the city, we went around that area (there's a park there), and looked at some of the housing. I wouldn't mind living in the city if we found jobs there, somewhere near the tram where I wouldn't need my car. I'm debating on applying for fellowships there vs. research - so we'll see. I think bling shopping is just what you need for your bday :Up_to_something: . Hell, I'd take you if I were closer. We could've had a PS happy hour near the jewelers building after causing a ruckus with the jewelers by showing up with ideal-scopes, lol. *sigh* yes, i did just say that.

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
nicstx|1335909195|3185054 said:

I totally understand your line of reasoning here! I would both want to wear it all the time and also only wear it when I had an armed security guard. I *do not* understand how people wear such pieces every day, I'd be a nervous wreck!

You really can get that look (the JBeg piece was gorgeous), for less. Great job Madelise for putting it all together!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
nicstx|1335928926|3185384 said:
Boston! So, I'm not as close as you are, and my schedule STINKS (12 hour days, 6 day weeks) therefore I haven't been there but a handful of times. I'm unfortunately about 6 hours away, but make the trip every so often when I get time. This past weekend was my first time around the city, we went around that area (there's a park there), and looked at some of the housing. I wouldn't mind living in the city if we found jobs there, somewhere near the tram where I wouldn't need my car. I'm debating on applying for fellowships there vs. research - so we'll see. I think bling shopping is just what you need for your bday :Up_to_something: . Hell, I'd take you if I were closer. We could've had a PS happy hour near the jewelers building after causing a ruckus with the jewelers by showing up with ideal-scopes, lol. *sigh* yes, i did just say that.

"That area" - Boston common! Love it there. I was lucky enough to briefly date someone in the city (about 6 months) and i would mosey around the city all the time when he was working. I loved going to the park and laying out with a good book. They say you get something positive from every relationship, and from that one i learned all about boston and getting around using the T. I love it there. It would be awesome if you could find employment there! Next time you go, maybe i can recommend some good eats? BTW the duck tour is a good way to see a lot of the city. A little hokey but its def a good way to check out everything!

PS happy hour would be a BLAST!!! I don't think anyone would be buzzing us in though, security might try to seize the scope :( haha

Back to topic. MADELISE!!! Girl you just did some homework and found some GORGEOUS settings! I think that any one of those could be just as gorgeous as the estate piece!!!!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
just FYI... I posted and forgot to copy/paste and pricescope ate it :nono:

I didn't make that mistake with the post in RT I just posted ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-time-please-help-me-find-a-1-7-1-99-rb.174963/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-time-please-help-me-find-a-1-7-1-99-rb.174963/[/URL])

I promise to come back and try to re-create my amazingly delicious post, but just gonna scream a huge thank you to madelise! xoxo

and RSG, i want happy hour... now

annnnd mae, i think I just liked seeing something put together, we talked about it more and are likely getting me a plain band like the vatche u113

ok, a longer post is needed, gotta run, xo

p.s. writing my RT post was nerve wrecking, I always feel ignored there :???: - here goes!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maebelle|1335985216|3185871 said:

The cert is here: https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=5136303492&weight=1.77.

HCA = 1.5. Looks good :) Call them to see if the SI2 is eye clean, and if it poses any durability issues. If it checks out, it looks like you can get your dream ring within budget!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
7.8 is fine :), I know my eye can't see a .2mm difference - i checked!

That one looks great! I think I'll be fine with an H, RB's are great like that, I'm setting this one next to the other we found (which you can probably find on the search - it's a 1.7 7.9x7.9 H SI2 with twinning wisps)

Thoughts on ID jewelry vs GOG? I feel bad calling both but what if one can give me one the other can't.

as a side note, I'm typing this on my phone while waiting for the elevator. Posting in RT made my nerves go from 0-60 and I keep refreshing...

p.s. I love my LIW's :), thank you so much for helping me!

p.p.s. :appl: yay!

dang phone - edited for typos... and a couple P.S's like this one

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, right? I just wrote somewhere else that the current LIW group is pretty darn awesome.

IDJ and GOG are both amazing, per PS reviews. I've never called IDJ myself, but I've contacted GOG before and their rep was amazing. He made me a video of the stone to show me the inclusion in just a few short hours!

Call them. Both. Do yourself the favor of having the benefit of contacting multiple sources and allowing them to show you what they can offer. Vendors know that you contact multiple places, don't feel bad about not ultimately "going with them". Jonathan at GOG is amazingly sweet, and is a great educator. I hear Yuketiel is also amazing. When I'm down to making my own purchase, I will be contacting multiple vendors. Yes, we all have that little guilty conscience that gnaws at us when we feel like we're "annoying" them with questions.. but that is what they're there for. There's a reason why these companies are so successful. They're very customer-oriented. :)

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
ok looking at the plot at home, it has the dreaded "additional clouds/twinning wisps/graining/pinpoints not shown"
- also, should I worry that on the HCA the light return and scintillation are only very good? or does the total score trump all?
bah humbug - but I'm still going to look into it ;-)

on an off topic horrible note, my mother seeing my sadness at losing the estate piece has elicited the help of a friend of family... :errrr:

he just sent me a diamond to my email stating he would find me the perfect diamond - he sent me this: https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=1139099204&weight=1.72#
HCA 2, AGA 1B, faces up at 7.6x7.6, has a natural in the center
priced better than on the PS search after i stalked the list, so I know he means well... but, I've heard all the stories, I've avoided this moment for so long

I haven't sent emails to IDJ or GOG yet... but since family is now involved... (there is no emoticon I can stick here right now that correctly portrays my face). I'll see how things go with him, I really can't bring myself to go to other vendors now that someone who calls me family is looking, I would DEFINITELY feel like I'm betraying him.

p.s. no movement on my thread in RT - i feel so dismissed

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sweetie.. the #1 rule of PS.. is to never go with a friend :wink2:

I ran the stats on that particular diamond:

Factor Grade
Light Return Good
Fire Fair
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 5.5 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion

It'll be a horrible performer. Please just.. avoid.. friends.. family friends.. etc ;-) they usually don't know anything other than the 4C's. There are millions of RockyTalky threads with horrible experiences. When it comes to dropping THAT much $$, you should go to someone that is a top educator as well as a vendor.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
lol, i must have put the numbers in wrong, I swore it came up at 2!

save meeeeeeeeeeeee - maaaybe if i write him back thanking him and say no with a lengthy response on why that diamond is bad I can scare him away.

yes?

Another, HCA 1.8 - old report though, trade in?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI2-Very%20Good-Cut-Round-Diamond-1477503.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Another: HCA 1.4
http://www.idjewelryonline.com/diamond_details1.php?id=37452968&shape=&pricefrom=1&priceto=500000&ca
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2126900433&weight=1.71#
- is it near 60/60 proportions thought?

HCA 0.8, AGA 1B
https://myapps.gia.edu/ReportCheckPortal/getReportData.do?&reportno=2131988614&weight=1.78
http://www.idjewelryonline.com/diamond_details1.php?id=34345202&shape=&pricefrom=1&priceto=500000&ca

more coming, i give up on RT

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just double checked and I got the same 5.5 result :razz:

The JA stone looks murky.. I wonder if that's due to clouds, or they put out a horrible photo. I got a 1.6 when I ran it through HCA? What's going on, lol, why are we getting different scores! Call them because it doesn't SAY there are clouds on the report?

I got 1.3 for the IDJ one.

I'd just worry about the SI2s being eye clean. How sensitive to inclusions are you?

Don't give up on RT. A lot of the veterans there are busy during the week with work/kids. Some, I think, are also annoyed with helping newbies that end up only getting what THEY want anyway, and then come back with a dud and get all upset. That's been happening a lot lately.. I can see why people would get annoyed of doing all the research and footwork for strangers that don't appreciate it.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if we're using angles vs %?

or if i've been doing it too long and getting crossed eyed - I just edited and added another one. blah

here's the first one i liked, HCA 1.7 (1.8 which i do the angles for % or vice versa, I forget which), AGA 2A
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2884400-1.80-carat-Round-diamond-H-color-SI2-Clarity.aspx?sku=2884400&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

ONLY! it's "very good" on light return and scintillation which is why i'm hesitant...

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Hey girls...just catching up...Nicstx - I saw that jbeg too...gorgeous! I think the reason your RT post has not received too many replies is that it reads like you are asking just whether you should call IDJ or GOG. Maybe if you tried another one you could ask for help locating stones or post the virtual one you like and ask for comparisons? I tried a few times in RT at first and felt the same but then I realized it seems to depend on what you are asking for help on and it seems like the very specific questions don't always get as many responses.
I would say to call whomever you want and see who you feel comfortable talking to...you want to do business with someone you feel comfortable with. And don't go with the family guy. Why don't you ask HIM to call in your virtual stone as a favor?! I'll BET he leaves you alone after that! :lol: :lol:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Phdecorate|1336010552|3186236 said:
Hey girls...just catching up...Nicstx - I saw that jbeg too...gorgeous! I think the reason your RT post has not received too many replies is that it reads like you are asking just whether you should call IDJ or GOG. Maybe if you tried another one you could ask for help locating stones or post the virtual one you like and ask for comparisons? I tried a few times in RT at first and felt the same but then I realized it seems to depend on what you are asking for help on and it seems like the very specific questions don't always get as many responses.
I would say to call whomever you want and see who you feel comfortable talking to...you want to do business with someone you feel comfortable with. And don't go with the family guy. Why don't you ask HIM to call in your virtual stone as a favor?! I'll BET he leaves you alone after that! :lol: :lol:

I did, lol - first he told me the feather was concerning, then he sent me another stone with a feather on the edge, then he told me the stone was too shallow and would perform badly and sent me the stone above with an HCA of 5

...in all honesty that stone does score well, but has "very good" on light return and scintillation, so I kinda bought it

I need an expert

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
nicstx|1336011285|3186247 said:
Phdecorate|1336010552|3186236 said:

I did, lol - first he told me the feather was concerning, then he sent me another stone with a feather on the edge, then he told me the stone was too shallow and would perform badly and sent me the stone above with an HCA of 5

...in all honesty that stone does score well, but has "very good" on light return and scintillation, so I kinda bought it

I need an expert

This should be your new RT post... I need an expert..tell them the story and ask for help finding stones....

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
done, I posted the stones we found here and I'm about to copy and paste with that question in front of the original stone.

:appl: yaaaay!!! a response!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results