carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2008 5:06:45 PM
Author: emeraldeyes

Earlier in the thread someone asked about the sashes of orders and how they are worn.

Emerald eyes, that was me and thank you for sharing what you know about the royal orders. For some reason, I find them fascinating and it is very difficult to find good, close up photos of them. I suppose I find them so interesting because they typically combine photo-like hand painted mini portraits of the family monarchs, along with gemstones...If you come across any close ups of royal orders, I''d love to see them.

I''m not sure if you know about other non-EU royal bling/orders but I''m very interested in the Thai Royal Family''s orders and bling...they''ve got quite a bevy of bling. I posted a link back some pages but dont know much about their jewelry. If you know, please share! Thanks...

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to the three of you for your kind words.
1.gif

Here is my first attempt at posting a photo on this forum - a close up of the tiara known as the Rundell, from the collection of HM Queen Alexandra.

QA511.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Here is the whole picture.

QA5102.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Here is a contemporary drawing of the suite that Bertie presented to Alix as a wedding gift.

HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother often wore the necklace.

QA501.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Here are the earrings that Empress Alexandra Feodorovna wore at her wedding. These were traditionally worn by all Romanov brides along with the Romanov nuptial crown and another whopper tiara. Note the hooks that are needed to support the weight of the pieces - it would not be surprising if they cut into the skin.

alixearrings.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Queen Mary''s stomacher (discussed a few pages ago) as worn by HM The Queen at the dinner celebrating her Golden Jubilee. It was the first time HM worn the full version of the stomacher. As previously mentioned, it separates into three pieces. The Queen has used the bottom most piece to fasten her Garter sash in the past.

stomacher.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Family orders of George IV, George V, George VI and Edward VII. (clockwise from top left)

royalfamilyorders.jpg

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These earrings are amazing..., hard to believe its a design from the 1700''s

All I can say is WOW!!!
6.gif

alixearrings.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 1:56:27 PM
Family orders of George IV, George V, George VI and Edward VII. (clockwise from top left)
Thanks for posting the British Royal Family Orders - do you have anything comparable for the Danish and Swedish Royals?

The whole etiquite of the orders is beyond me that''s for sure!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a nice recent photo of Sarah Duchess of York wearing some pretty dangly diamond earrings with a heart motif.

fergieheartearrings.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Another recent photo of Princess Maxima - this one is from one of the events celebrating Queen Beatrix''s 70th Birthday. Maxima is wearing diamond and citrine earrings and a very pretty hair ornament.

maxima2-1-08.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
This is a photo of Letizia from last December - I forget the event. She is wearing some pretty diamond earrings but you can also see the gold charm bracelet that she wears constantly.

letizia12-13-2007.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
The Romanov nuptial mantle clasp. This was used to fasten the nuptial cloak together and is actually a massive piece.

76999671nyzhvnph3rg.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a good shot of the whole outfit. Letizia really seems to like this dress - I think the skirt has been seen before with a different top. I think the bright pink is really nice.

lettiziapinkdressdecember2007.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
The Romanov nuptial diadem.

76999775meyfghph8fg.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
And a closer shot of Letizia''s earrings.

lettiziadecmeber2007.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
The Romanov nuptial crown. This was worn inside of the diadem.

76999992qoetwdph3vt.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 4:45:59 PM
Author: LadyAmythyst69

Thanks for posting the British Royal Family Orders - do you have anything comparable for the Danish and Swedish Royals?

The whole etiquite of the orders is beyond me that''s for sure!
You''re perfectly welcome LadyA. I will have to take a look in my archives, but I don''t think I have anything similar for other royal houses.

surfgirl, I will look for Thai related pics as well, but my stuff is pretty Euro-centric.
33.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 1:33:15 PM
Here is a contemporary drawing of the suite that Bertie presented to Alix as a wedding gift.

HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother often wore the necklace.
Here is a set of portraits taken of the Queen Mum in 1975. She is wearing the Greville/Honeycomb Tiara (now used by the Duchess of Cornwall) and Queen Alexandra''s wedding necklace. You can also see the large pearl ring that she wore in place of her original engagement ring which was a blue sapphire.

queenmum1975.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Another one from the 1975 series of the Queen Mum. It looks like she is also wearing Queen Victoria''s bar brooch - a double row of collet diamonds - on her shoulder.

queenmum1975a.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect that you two (emeraldeyes and LadyA) should start collaborating on a book. I bet that although you have derived your knowledge from other sources thus far that if you combined it (with some sort of twist) that you could write a best-selling volume on royal jewels that would be as informative as it was fascinating! How about royal gems and weddings as the angle to make your book different?

Deborah
34.gif

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
In this one you can more clearly see the bar brooch as well as the George the VI and Elizabeth the II orders. The necklace and it''s matching set of earrings and a brooch (not shown here) were commissioned by the then Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) from Garrard in 1863.

queenmumgrevilletiara.jpg

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 5:19:57 PM
Author: AGBF

I suspect that you two (emeraldeyes and LadyA) should start collaborating on a book. I bet that although you have derived your knowledge from other sources thus far that if you combined it (with some sort of twist) that you could write a best-selling volume on royal jewels that would be as informative as it was fascinating! How about royal gems and weddings as the angle to make your book different?

Deborah
34.gif
Thanks but I think you flatter me!! I feel that there are huge gaps in my Royal jewel knowledge. The more I learn the more I realize I don''t know! Especially about the European Royal Houses. And like I said - the ins and outs of the orders is something I''ve really neglected. I concentrate on Royal history in general and anything is know about the jewels is secondary to that - but it sure is a fun subject that I have been inspired to pay a little more attention to since I joined Pricescope!

But it sure is nice to have another royal jewel nut (emeraldeyes) on the board!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 5:01:05 PM
The Romanov nuptial diadem.
What is the central colored stone? It''s an interesting color.

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
It''s a pink diamond. I suspect it has been lit extremely favourably or intensified for effect in the photograph. I may have another photo lurking in the old files; I will report back.
1.gif

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 5:19:57 PM
Author: AGBF

Deborah
34.gif

You are very generous with your kind words. The study of jewels has been a passion of mine for several years now. I knew nothing about the history and provenance of these collections when I began, but thanks to like-minded individuals I have been able to expand my knowledge. The internet is a wonderful place!

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 12:58:11 PM
Author: surfgirl

Emerald eyes, that was me and thank you for sharing what you know about the royal orders. For some reason, I find them fascinating and it is very difficult to find good, close up photos of them. I suppose I find them so interesting because they typically combine photo-like hand painted mini portraits of the family monarchs, along with gemstones...If you come across any close ups of royal orders, I''d love to see them.

I''m not sure if you know about other non-EU royal bling/orders but I''m very interested in the Thai Royal Family''s orders and bling...they''ve got quite a bevy of bling. I posted a link back some pages but dont know much about their jewelry. If you know, please share! Thanks...

Queen Sirikit''s diamond birds.

hongsa.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
I love the delicacy of these jewels. They are so ladylike.

SirikitThailand_diamondbird_shoulde.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
The briolettes are so amazing!

Swanpains2Pics.jpg

emeraldeyes

Shiny_Rock
I knew I had a photograph of this set. From Queen Alexandra eventually to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

wedpres.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results