shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1332333551|3153406 said:
Thank you for all the glittery photos! So far the diamond jubilee is fulfilling hopes of a year of bling. And Beatrix's self & family are always a welcome jewel sight.

Well, most of these events have nothing to do with the Diamond Jubilee, and I dont think the celebration of the Jubilee will be as grand as some think. But indeed this will be a Diamond year (esp when we have Maxima on sight) :razz:

Is Camilla's turquoise set, then, hers? Maybe a gift from her 1st husband? I can't figure why she chose to wear it with purple.

Yes, the turqouise and diamond set belongs to the Duchess. It was either an inheritance from her mother or a present prom either of HRH's husbands (Charles is more probbable, of course). It is likely that the set once belonged to Alice Keppel.
I also don't know why HRH wore the turquoises with a purple gown... Strange when she has some very fine diamonds and amethysts in her collection... Anyway, it was nice to see the new dress. Velvet certainly becomes her :) I'm now looking forward to the banquet in Copenhagen :)

Can't say the cab brooch does much for me -- a bit too Victorian for my taste. The choker is nice -- looks vintage, from the clasp. No more info about it?

No, nothing is known about it, but it certainly looks late Victorian/early XXc. to me. And that isn't surpring as the Duchess of Cornwall has shown a love for jewels from this period ;-)

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
[quote="prince.of.preslav|1332373236|3153832
Well, most of these events have nothing to do with the Diamond Jubilee, and I dont think the celebration of the Jubilee will be as grand as some think. But indeed this will be a Diamond year (esp when we have Maxima on sight) :razz:
Bobby[/quote]

The visit to Norway is part of the jubilee tours, isn't it? Sparkling doesn't necessarily have to be done only in the UK for the jubilee year; I'll happily take it wherever it happens.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
At the return evening function today in Luxemborg, Queen Beatrix wore the earrings and brooch from the ruby parure by Mellerio dits Meller, the diamond and ruby floral bracelet and a small ruby and diamond cluster bangle; the Grand Duchess wore her modern diamond earrings (also worn at the return banquet in Sweden)

The hostess - HM The Queen of the Netherlands - with the guests of honour - TRH the Hereditary Grand Duke, the Grand Duke & Grand Duchess of Luxembourg - before a concert at the Cercle Cite in Luxembourg:
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2012/PPE120321101.jpg

The Queen of the Netheralnds: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2012/PPE120321109.jpg

The Grand Duchess: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2012/PPE120321106.jpg

More photos can be seen here: http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=21-03-2012 Contra

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
laurensmama|1332351380|3153544 said:
While reading a recent article on the Russian royal jewels, I am now curious to know more about them. I realize many were sold by the Bolshivek's, some are in museums, Queen Mary bought some, etc. But I am really interested in the history of them and if any of them are with current royal families, how many are now "unknown" for location, etc. Thanks so much and I look forward to some wonderful drooly photos !

I think one of the best examples is Queen Elizabeth's Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara. It certainly gets a lot of display time.

This is the time of year I actually get to bring a little bling to my classroom. We are starting genetics, and I incorperate some world history with the Russian royal family. We go over hemophilia, how it is passed from generations, and look at a pedigree startign with Queen Victoria. Then I show them some video clips from a series on the fall of the Romanovs, show them a picture of Nicholas' and Alexandra's wedding with the tiara with the big pink diamond and the diamond crown (bling! :)) . Finally, I ask them to think about how the world would be different today if Alexei Romanov didn't have hemophilia...no Rasputin? Would the revolution have happened? Would have had a Cold War? I try to make them see a bigger picture, and believe me, the group I have this year has hard time seeing past the next text on their cell phones! :blackeye:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, Maria, a buddy of mine who teaches at a community college has the same troubles w/cell phones. Sympathies. Sounds like a wonderful unit on the Romanovs though.

Princess Maxima wore lovely earrings at a funeral a few days ago. I can't find anything on them -- anyone else? Are they new?

03154539_jpg_h600.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Princess Caroline wore a magnificent pair of earrings inherited from her mother to the Rose Ball in Monaco over the weekend. We'll not mention her so-called dress! :cry:

Princess Charlene, sigh, wore a pair of diamond studs for bling. Got to have a talk with that girl!

--- Laurie

earrings.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1332516494|3155102 said:
Princess Maxima wore lovely earrings at a funeral a few days ago. I can't find anything on them -- anyone else? Are they new?

It wasn't just a funeral, but the funeral of 28 Belgians (mostly children!) who died tragically after their bus crashed while returning home from a holiday in Switzerland. The funeral was also attended by TM the King & the Queen of the Belgians and the President of Switzeralnd. I don't know if you've heared about this accident in America but it was (naturally) reported everywhere in Europe.
No, the earrings aren't new. Actually, Maxima wears them fairly often, though I don't think this was an appropriate occasion.
By the way, the brooch is one of a pair and is privately owned by the Princess.
Here you can see a close-up of the earrings, taken in Sydney ,2006: http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2006/06102732.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1332793506|3156745 said:
Princess Caroline wore a magnificent pair of earrings inherited from her mother to the Rose Ball in Monaco over the weekend. We'll not mention her so-called dress! :cry:

Princess Charlene, sigh, wore a pair of diamond studs for bling. Got to have a talk with that girl!

--- Laurie

Hmm.. I didn't know that The Princess of Hannover is the lucky one to have the diamond earrings. It seems like she has the bulck of Princess Grace's collection. A pity, as it seems that the main line now doesn't have much heirlooms to pass to future generations. I have to wonder who has the ring and the tiaras, also those lovely VC&A pearls... I think that this diamond choker would look very nice on Charlene. Don't you think?
BTW, The Princess of Monaco didn't wear plain studs. Her earrings have a halo of small diamonds and actually I quite liked the look (even if it didn't shout I'm the Princess of Monaco!).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Swedish Royal Court has published three very nice (and large) photos of the Crown Princess couple with baby Estelle. Crown Princess Vicotira is wearing some very nice earrings.
The HQs can be seen here:
The family - http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...onprinsessparet_HKH_Prinsessan_Estelle_KG.jpg

Two future Queens of Sweden - TRH The Crown Princess & The Duchess of Östergötland - http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...ssan_Victoria_H.K.H.Prinsessan_Estelle_KG.jpg

The Duke of Västergötland with his daughter, The Duchess of Östergötland -http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200....Prins_Daniel_H.K.H_Prinsessan_Estelle_KG.jpg

In addition to the photos of the young family, the Royal Court has also published gala photos of the parents. I think the jewels and the storied behind them are rather well-known. I'll just say that this is the best vue of the bracelet so far. It is also interesting to see the differences in the badges of Victoria & Daniel's orders ;-)

http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...Kronprinsessan_Victoria_Prins_Daniel_1_ME.jpg
Victoria: http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200...024302/H.K.H.Kronprinsessan_Victoria_1_ME.jpg
Daniel: http://www.kungahuset.se/images/200.70e7de59130bc8da54e800024293/H.K.H.Prins_Daniel_1.ME.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1332793506|3156745 said:

--- Laurie

It doesn't matter about Caroline's dress...I'm using it to replace the broken mirror in my telescope.

Charlene tried. I think her ocean spray headband would have looked better with the hairdo as opposed to the straps of black electrician tape.

charlenecaroline.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Tonight the Danish Royal Family hosted a gala dinner for TRH The Prince of Wales & The Duchess of Cornwall.
The Queen wore her new citrine/topaz earrings, the choker that we normally see with the poppies and one or two of the poppies in her hair; the Crown Princess wore floral diamond earrings (first seen at Charles' 60th birthday) with a new pendant; Princess Marie wore her long diamond earrings and two gold bangles; Princess Benedikte wore her necklace of large pearls, pear and diamond drop earrinfs and a large diamond brooch. The guest of honour wore her modern diamond set and Art-Deco bracelet. These are, in fact, the same jewels and gown that HRH wore in Spain last year. I for one would've loved to see this dress with the turquoises from Norway, mostly because this is the third time (!) we actually see this combo...

Follow the links to see the photos:
Daisy - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...akes-part-in-a-receiving-news-photo/141927125
Milla - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...miles-as-she-poses-for-a-news-photo/141926959
Mary - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...rk-and-prince-joachim-of-news-photo/141928570
Marie - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...part-in-a-receiving-line-news-photo/141928563
Benedikte - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...rincess-marie-of-denmark-news-photo/141927299

These & more photos from the day can be found here - http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=141776868&EditorialProduct=Royalty

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know more about the bow brooches/pins (?) on Princess Marie's dress, history, better photo? I don't think I have seen them before. Thanls

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1332804251|3156894 said:
I think her ocean spray headband would have looked better with the hairdo as opposed to the straps of black electrician tape.
LOL! I thought it was a leather belt. :D

I LOVE LOVE Maxima's flower earrings -- thank you for the close-up, Bobby. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Laurensmama -- you asked earlier about Romanov jewels. I just ordered a book about them, should arrive any day. I'm sure I wont be able to shut up once I get a look at it. More to come....

--- Laurie

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
It appears that Caroline has inherited some "significant" pieces of jewelery from her mother. Would have thought they would have been left to Albert. I hope some nice pieces manage to stay with the main family line and are passed down when the time comes. Would hate to see something of great significance (either emotional or monetarily) sold off to pay death taxes. I realize that this has been done many times over the years by various royal houses, including the Windsors, (ie., when the late Princess Royal passed away, her son the Earl, sold many pieces given to her by her father/grandfather to pay death taxes. I had heard {perhaps erroneously} that these pieces were offered to the monarch first but Elizabeth did not purchase them) this has always struck me as being very sad. Especially since once sold, many pieces go into private collections and are not seen again. Anyway, wonder what was left to Albert for his future bride. I don't believe I have seen Charlene in any "old" pieces, only new ones made for her as wedding presents. Just my thoughts, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock
Speaking of Charlene...Anyone recognize these earrings from a cocktail event held last week?

charlene%20earrings.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
laurensmama|1332985602|3158758 said:
It appears that Caroline has inherited some "significant" pieces of jewelery from her mother. Would have thought they would have been left to Albert. I hope some nice pieces manage to stay with the main family line and are passed down when the time comes. Would hate to see something of great significance (either emotional or monetarily) sold off to pay death taxes. I realize that this has been done many times over the years by various royal houses, including the Windsors, (ie., when the late Princess Royal passed away, her son the Earl, sold many pieces given to her by her father/grandfather to pay death taxes. I had heard {perhaps erroneously} that these pieces were offered to the monarch first but Elizabeth did not purchase them) this has always struck me as being very sad. Especially since once sold, many pieces go into private collections and are not seen again. Anyway, wonder what was left to Albert for his future bride. I don't believe I have seen Charlene in any "old" pieces, only new ones made for her as wedding presents. Just my thoughts, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I agree, she only seems to be wearing mostly new pieces (when she even bothers to wear jewels...she seems to be a bit blingphobic). But it what do you define as "old?" Remember Princess Grace didn't get any jewels from Rainier's mother since Princess Charlotte didn't like Grace. Princess Charlotte left her jewels to Princess Caroline. I thought the diamond headpiece Charlene wore for her wedding was from Princess Charlotte, which would make it the only "old" piece Princess Charlene has worn.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm sure we've covered this, but I don't remember -- did all Grace's jewels go to Caroline too? She wears some of them, Stephanie never does. Darn that Charlene, I'm just dying to see her go nuts with bling....but not holding my breath.

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1333117382|3159844 said:
I'm sure we've covered this, but I don't remember -- did all Grace's jewels go to Caroline too? She wears some of them, Stephanie never does. Darn that Charlene, I'm just dying to see her go nuts with bling....but not holding my breath.

--- Laurie

Since Albert wasn't married at the time of Grace's death, and how Caroline stepped in as the alpha female in Monaco, it would be a reasonable assumption that all Grace's jewels went to Caroline. Grace's death was so sudden that I doubt any formal provisions were made for the future wife of Prince Albert receiving any jewels. But, if Caroline had any issue with Charlene wearing any of the family jewels, I doubt she would have loaned that floral headpiece to Charlene for the wedding. I think the simple fact is that none of Grace's jewelry is Charlene's style, but it is more Caroline's style.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Some new pictures of Diana from a former aide to Lord Snowden. The picnic scene is not new to me, but the others are. I especially love the black and white one (taken after Prince Harry's christening).

dianablackandwhite.jpg

dianawilharrytiaracam.jpg

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that picture of Diana starting at the top with her tiara and ending at the bottom with her sons' bare feet is fantastic. Thank you, Maria.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
BubblyBear|1332987526|3158792 said:
Speaking of Charlene..

"I'm just a sportswoman!" :lol:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
So yesterday was my birthday (age undisclosed) and I got somethign really cool: my mom found vintage coloring books from Queen Elizabeth's coronoation, and a vintage set of paper dolls that have not been cut out. If anyone is interested, I'll post some pics from them.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1334321161|3170050 said:
So yesterday was my birthday (age undisclosed) and I got somethign really cool: my mom found vintage coloring books from Queen Elizabeth's coronoation, and a vintage set of paper dolls that have not been cut out. If anyone is interested, I'll post some pics from them.

Yes, please. And, Happy Belated Birthday! :appl:

por1991

Rough_Rock
HM Queen Sirikit of Thailand

pic1
K6844924-1.jpg

pic2
K6844924-4.jpg

pic3 ruby set
K6844924-12.jpg

pic4 Thai style jewels
K6844924-13.jpg

pic5 Thai style jewels
K6844924-87.jpg

por1991

Rough_Rock
Queen of Thailand

K6844924-56.jpg

emerald earrings
K6844924-59.jpg

gold jewels
K6844924-92.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful beautiful beautiful! :love: :cheeky: The fabrics of her Thai costumes are as breathtaking as the jewels (almost....).

Is that a little diamond dragon on her shoulder in the 1st photo? Totally charming -- I assume it's a Thai emblem? I want it badly!! Also the emerald & diamond earrings w/the emerald briolette drop -- just gorgeous and HUGE. The breadth of her collection is really amazing. More please -- and thank you for posting these.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results