carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331075259|3142220 said:
jean95404|1330727810|3139506 said:
With regard to the Prince of Wales crown(s): Does anyone know what happened to Edward's crown? Was it included in the Windsor jewelry sale, melted down to make something for Wallis perhaps? The crown for the current Prince of Wales probably should have some major, serious remodeling before it is ever given to William (if indeed that happens). It is one ugly, starship galactic looking thing. Especially with the solar system thing going on on the very top. Wonder if those little bits twirl in the breeze?

I don't know what happened to the coronet that Edward woreat his investiture, but it certainly isn't the one that he took with him to France. What The Duke of Windsor smuggled out of Britain was in fact the coronet that had been made for and worn by his father, King George V. The then Prince of Wales (David) wore this coronet at the Coronation of his parents in 1911.
Here's how it looks:
CoronetnPoW.jpg

I'm sure that the former King had far greater respect for the Regalia than what your post suggests.

Bobby

The small coronet used for his Investiture is on display at the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff, along with the 1969 crown (the single arch makes it a crown, not a coronet) and the sceptre, sword, mantle and robes with the gold fastenings. THe 1902 crown is on display with the 1728 PoW crown with the crown jewels.

As was mentioned earlier, Edward Prince of Wales was NOT inpressed by the reinvetion of the investiture, whilst he could see the point of the coronation, state opening of parlament etc, he thought the investiture was a show too far, according to "The Crown Jewels".

The 1728 PoW crown was actually worn a lot, to the extent that it was almost worn out by 1902.

edmary.jpg

The smalled crown was refered to as a "chaplet" and was set with amethysts and pearls.

pow%201911.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1331163282|3143400 said:
The small coronet used for his Investiture is on display at the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff, along with the 1969 crown (the single arch makes it a crown, not a coronet) and the sceptre, sword, mantle and robes with the gold fastenings. THe 1902 crown is on display with the 1728 PoW crown with the crown jewels.

Strange... I've always seen it reffered to as the Prince of Wales' Coronet... everywhere, even by the Royal Collection. What does the Royal Jewels say about it? For me a crown myst have four half arches.

PS: Neil, I assume you have the new book The Royal Jewels, right?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about Princess Máxima's personal collection, but I don't think I've ever seen this emerald ring on her. She wore it just the other day in A'dam at a seminar on microfinance. A tenth wedding anniversay present (along with the sapphire earrings) pearhaps?

PPE12030626.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2012/PPE12030626.jpg

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331164468|3143416 said:
neil31uk|1331163282|3143400 said:

Strange... I've always seen it reffered to as the Prince of Wales' Coronet... everywhere, even by the Royal Collection. What does the Royal Jewels say about it? For me a crown myst have four half arches.

PS: Neil, I assume you have the new book The Royal Jewels, right?

Hi Bobby,

I have "The Crown Jewels" by Anna Keay, which referes to them as crowns -"The Crown of Fredrick, Prince of Wales, 1728" and "The Crown of George, Prince of Wales, 1902". The Warrent issued by Charles II in 1662 that states the design of coronets for the peerage and princes and royal dukes, lists the heir apparent as having a "crown" as opposed to a coronet. I have always presumed this was due to the arch, the fact that the PoW is the equivilant of a "Crown Prince" and that the Prince of Wales was head of state of Wales before it was joined with England. A Head of state would thus wear a crown and not a coronet.

Regarding the chaplet of Edward, Prince of Wales, I am guessing here, but his investiture was before the coronation of his parents and he was still a young teenage so perhaps they felt it wiser for his to wear a chaplet with out velvet and ermin, rather than struggle with the height of the crown with the arch. By the time of the coronation they may have decided he was able to cope, but I wonder if it had been the intention to have worn the chaplet at the coronation.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331165002|3143426 said:
I don't know much about Princess Máxima's personal collection, but I don't think I've ever seen this emerald ring on her. She wore it just the other day in A'dam at a seminar on microfinance. A tenth wedding anniversay present (along with the sapphire earrings) pearhaps?

PPE12030626.jpg

Bobby
The large emerald cut stone in that ring is not an emerald, its colour is that of an aquamarine. The flanking stones look like cabochon emeralds. I like it.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331165002|3143426 said:

PPE12030626.jpg

Bobby
The large emerald cut stone in that ring is not an emerald, its colour is that of an aquamarine. The flanking stones look like cabochon emeralds. I like it.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today HM The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh attened a service at St Paul's Cathedral for the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. As usual, Her Majesty wore the Girls of Great Britain & Ireald and the fav. diamond watch. Elizabeth II also wore (new?) diamond cluster earrings, which don't quite look like Queen Alexandra's...

I love HM's look here. It could easily become the official DJ portrait...
610xOBE2012.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dpb2wj7Zycyg/610x.jpg

x610OBE2012.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08Pnc998nfbCD/x610.jpg

BTW, the page boy is Charles Armstrong-Jones, HM's new page of honour and grandson of Princess Margaret :)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1331165499|3143431 said:
Hi Bobby,

I have "The Crown Jewels" by Anna Keay, which referes to them as crowns -"The Crown of Fredrick, Prince of Wales, 1728" and "The Crown of George, Prince of Wales, 1902". The Warrent issued by Charles II in 1662 that states the design of coronets for the peerage and princes and royal dukes, lists the heir apparent as having a "crown" as opposed to a coronet. I have always presumed this was due to the arch, the fact that the PoW is the equivilant of a "Crown Prince" and that the Prince of Wales was head of state of Wales before it was joined with England. A Head of state would thus wear a crown and not a coronet.

Thanks for the explanation, Neil! As far as I know, this is a rather well researched book, so I might have to reconsider the way to reffer to The Prince of Wales' headgear from his Investiture.

Regarding the chaplet of Edward, Prince of Wales, I am guessing here, but his investiture was before the coronation of his parents and he was still a young teenage so perhaps they felt it wiser for his to wear a chaplet with out velvet and ermin, rather than struggle with the height of the crown with the arch. By the time of the coronation they may have decided he was able to cope, but I wonder if it had been the intention to have worn the chaplet at the coronation.

I had the same thought!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1331165631|3143433 said:

I think you right, Neil! Sorry for that error... Lovely ring, anyway :)

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331166909|3143462 said:
neil31uk|1331165631|3143433 said:

I think you right, Neil! Sorry for that error... Lovely ring, anyway :)

It is a lovely ring, I just wanted to point it out as its a rather unusual but lovely combination.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331166148|3143440 said:
Today HM The Queen & HRH The Duke of Edinburgh attened a service at St Paul's Cathedral for the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire. As usual, Her Majesty wore the Girls of Great Britain & Ireald and the fav. diamond watch. Elizabeth II also wore (new?) diamond cluster earrings, which don't quite look like Queen Alexandra's...

I love HM's look here. It could easily become the official DJ portrait...
610xOBE2012.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dpb2wj7Zycyg/610x.jpg

x610OBE2012.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08Pnc998nfbCD/x610.jpg

BTW, the page boy is Charles Armstrong-Jones, HM's new page of honour and grandson of Princess Margaret :)

Thanks for these pics Bobby, I have never seen HM in the Order of the British Empire robes before you posted those.

Edward with the Sceptre, sword, mantle and robes:

2322680.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331077049|3142244 said:
Do you remeber owr mini discussion about the Countess of Wessex's medal at the banquet in Barbados? Some suggested that it might be the Diamond Jubilee Medal and it seemed a most logical choice. Now, however, having seen a very nice photo of the medal, I'm not that sure. Obviously the colours are (almost) the same, but it's their proportion that puzzles me. May this be beacause of the poor quality of Sophie's photo?
The Countess - http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/25/article-0-11E5E4CD000005DC-130_634x822.jpg
Her nephew - http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...morning-prayer-at-christ-news-photo/140652941

I'd love to see some responses...

Фдффщ

Sophie's medal seems to have more of a gold color, but Harry's is more silver-toned. The ribbons do look similar, and I can't think of any other medal Sophie would wear. Very confusing... :loopy:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1331163704|3143409 said:
Tonight TRH The Prince of Orance and Princess Máxima attended a gala dinner in The Hague. HRH wore the tut-fruti bracelet and what looks like new sapphire earrings:
PPE12030762.jpg
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Mar2012/PPE12030762.jpg

More photos from the event can be seen here - http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=07-03-2012 The Hague

Obviously the Crown Prince couple are back in the Netherlands after the horrible skiing accident. Last I heard Queen Beatrix was in London with Mabel...Johan Friso was flown to London to the Wellington Hospital, which is supposed to be really good for these types of brain injuries.. No sign of any improvement. Such a sad situation.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1331171966|3143564 said:
Sophie's medal seems to have more of a gold color, but Harry's is more silver-toned. The ribbons do look similar, and I can't think of any other medal Sophie would wear. Very confusing... :loopy:

Yes, they do look similar, but the Countess' has a thicker white band, whereas Henry only has two thin white bands and a red one in between. As I said, it's the proportion of the colours that puzzles me. Also (as you say) the colour of the badge appears to be different (gold vs silver).
BTW, wouldn't the Countess also have the Golden Jubilee medal?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1331172212|3143570 said:
Obviously the Crown Prince couple are back in the Netherlands after the horrible skiing accident. Last I heard Queen Beatrix was in London with Mabel...Johan Friso was flown to London to the Wellington Hospital, which is supposed to be really good for these types of brain injuries.. No sign of any improvement. Such a sad situation.

The Queen is back in the Netherlands and yesterday performed an engagement in Soesterberg. Here you can see some photos a very tired and worried mother. In some iof the photos HM almost looks frail to me...
Link - http://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=07-03-2012 Soesterberg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Catherine was out for a Diamond Jubliee event with the queen. I love the teal color on the suit! The earrings...are these new? At first I thought maybe they were her dangly sapphires that we debated if they were reworked from Princess Diana, but now I'm not so sure.

article-2112023-1215A5A5000005DC-454_470x804.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The new Danish princess will be christened on May 20...am I the only one who gets driven insane with the Danish custom of not announcing the name until the christening? Usually it only ends up being a 3 month wait, but this time it's almost 5 months! :errrr:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't get fussed, Maria, because, hard as I try, I just can't get all thrilled about somebody's new baby, even a royal baby. I don't care at all. Probably makes me some sort of freak, but there it is. I'm very glad the parents are thrilled, however. :D

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Mette Marit wore an interesting belt on the 9th. I can't find anything on it -- anyone else have info? I assume it's faux but would be delighted to know it's real diamonds & other stones! Sigh, those days are past even for Royalty. I would have liked to see this on a more formal outfit.

MM.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1331472264|3146213 said:
Catherine was out for a Diamond Jubliee event with the queen. I love the teal color on the suit! The earrings...are these new? At first I thought maybe they were her dangly sapphires that we debated if they were reworked from Princess Diana, but now I'm not so sure.

This is a pair of earrings with green amethysyts and diamonds by Kiki McDonough. The Duchess of Cambridge has worn them since Christmas. The greem amethyst version is no longer on offer and now you can only get a pair with citrines.

For the record - At the same event The Queen wore the Flower basket brooch.
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1331472442|3146216 said:
The new Danish princess will be christened on May 20...am I the only one who gets driven insane with the Danish custom of not announcing the name until the christening? Usually it only ends up being a 3 month wait, but this time it's almost 5 months! :errrr:

Insane? No... I was more anxious to understand the name of the Swedish Crown Princess couple's daughter as she is going to be a monarch some day. But I knew it was going to happen within a couple of days, anyway. I'm more or less accustomed to this Danish (royal) tradition. Of course, I'm very much looking forward to this happy family/royal event :)
But I can't understad one think - Why wait for 4 months? Perhaps TRH want warmer weather for the christening?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1331473869|3146223 said:
Mette Marit wore an interesting belt on the 9th. I can't find anything on it -- anyone else have info? I assume it's faux but would be delighted to know it's real diamonds & other stones! Sigh, those days are past even for Royalty. I would have liked to see this on a more formal outfit.

The belt look a bet out of place, doesn't it? I think the Moroccan royals are the only ones to still wear jewelled belts. Apart from them, I can think of two (on from Morocco and the other from India) in Elizabeth II's collection and a few (or only one) in the Iranian Crown Jewels. Of course, neither of them is currently in use.

BubblyBear

Shiny_Rock

Hideous. MM is usually so elegant and this belt is so very fussy and out of place, regardless of whether it is comprised of jewels or paste.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

I think this would look great with a black evening gown...the belt is so flashy that it needs simple clothes to make it work. The jacket and top is too much and is not formal enough.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
The Countess of Wessex got out her wedding earrings for the Commonwealth service!

article-2113949-12227F5F000005DC-242_306x423.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The Queen is on a pink roll, here at the same service, shows her lovely complexion. Complete w/her paisley brooch, 3-strand pearls & the Devon earrings given to Queen Mary as a wedding present.

Camilla wore the same outfit as in 2010 for Commonwealth Day. She appears to have had the pansy brooches for some time -- anybody know more about them?

There is a nice interview with Princess Charlene here:

http://today.ninemsn.com.au/ She comes across as more feminine and more self-assured to me than she does in photos. It's tiring to read constantly about how miserable she looks when I don't see any evidence thereof. I have noticed that she looks stiff in pics of occasions where she's a little nervous -- such as the Oscars & early appearances in Monaco. But she's growing into the part & gaining confidence -- easy to forget that she probably feels just as we would if thrust onto the red carpet in Hollywood, among a bunch of movie stars -- yow, self-conscious: "gulp, what do I say to these people?!" I've read often that Olympic gold medalists, suddenly in the spotlight big time, are initially painfully shy. Most don't learn a lot of the social skills normal teens do, as they spend the majority of their time training & miss out on occasions that teach us those things. I think Charlene is happy & appears to love that sad sack Albert.

--- Laurie

Kolajlar9.jpg

2010-0308-britain-camilla.jpg

22222225.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1331650462|3147592 said:
There is a nice interview with Princess Charlene here:

http://today.ninemsn.com.au/ She comes across as more feminine and more self-assured to me than she does in photos.

She looks impossibly beautiful and very composed. I love her hair and I kept looking at her lipstick/lip gloss. What a truly beautiful and lovely woman! Thank you for sharing that interview! (I also loved it when she said, "I'm just a sportswoman!")

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ha, Deb, I was fascinated by her lip gloss too! :bigsmile: Love the color. she did look beautiful. I would be SO happy happy if that girl would bust out & wear COLORS herself. Beige beige beige & it's not great w/her complexion & hair -- she needs contrast. I picture her closets -- row upon row of B.E.I.G.E. outfits, dreary. The night she wore that claret-colored evening dress, I swooned. It was GORGEOUS on her. Try it again, Char! (With a bit of sparkly bling, maybe?)

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results