shape
carat
color
clarity

Worst ring "compliment" ever

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 8:39:37 PM
Author: SuzyQZ

Yeah, there are just some things you don''t ''guess'' about.... a womans age, her weight, or the size of her diamond!
Wow, that would make a great sig!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 8:41:54 PM
Author: Ellen

Yeah, there are just some things you don''t ''guess'' about.... a womans age, her weight, or the size of her diamond!
Oh yessy it would!!!

Diver,
Your ring is gorgeous, and very white. I don''t see any tinge of yellow at all.

Speaking of pregnancy hormones, when I was pregnant I cried at commercials. Like how sad is that?? I am such a dork!!!
3.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock

Great sig indeed.. I don''t guess any of those things either (Ok, excluding celebs). I have been on the receiving end of unsolicited weight comments way too many times.

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock

Done. Thanks for the idea Ellen!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 8:53:44 PM

Done. Thanks for the idea Ellen!
28.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OHMYGOSH, Diver, I don''t know what is the matter with your friend''s eyes, but that diamond of yours is beautiful! Killer, in fact! But one thing it AIN''T is yellow!!!

She may not have a mean bone in her body, but the poor girl obviously doesn''t know her COLORS!!! OY!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Does she have a diamond? It sounds like inexperience.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did she or you have on any yellow or beige coloured clothing, was there a light bulb overhead giving out light that was not white, I noticed the floor is light brown could any tint of colour in the room be from it. Maybe she is someone who needs a D-F diamond because she is too colour sensitive. I would never think from your photos that it was not a white diamond.

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
okay - and someone said to me recently "OMG your ring is huge---is it real?" Folllowed up with how big is it? Is it 3cts? you can tell me, it''s only ____ (said with another woman who won''t speak to me TOTALLY leaning in to hear every word -- can you say setup?). Is the whole ring over 5 cts????? Like, I don''t look/dress like it would be real?!? Or I couldn''t possibly afford it? Or I''m not "worth it?"
29.gif
29.gif

And this is completely what it sounded like in catty woman land (subsitute boobs for ring) -- "OMG your BOOBS are HUGE -- Are they real? What size are they?......" The whole tone of the conversation was I N S U L T I N G. Needless to say, I wouldn''t say it was/wasn''t real and/or anything about it''s size.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Awwww...pregnant or not pregnant I think it''s an upsetting comment.
39.gif

But for what it''s worth, I don''t think your diamond looks yellow AT ALL. At the same time, I don''t think I would EVER say to someone "Nice yellow diamond!!" unless it was quite obviously a vivid yellow or lemon colored yellow. So I agree with whoever said that it may have been bouncing the relection off of something beige or yellow in color.

I mean does a color sensitive person really see an I as the stereotypical yellow diamond?
Anyway, I love your diamond and I would take it ANY day. :)

DiamondGirlxja

Rough_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous!!! It does not look yellow at all!!! I cant believe she said that but let it go. Its not worth it. She probably didnt mean anything by it and you know its a gorgeous ring thats all that matters!!!
36.gif
36.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You sure have a real CUTE yellow diamond. I have been meaning to tell you that for the longest time.

Just kidding. It is NOT yellow...I agree with Pyramid...was there ANYthing in the room that was yellow? Can you reinact the scene? Another thought was it is not the color of the diamond she saw but the color the diamond was shooting off...you know as in a fire streak? After all it is the light play that attracts us to the silly things.

There is thread called fire....isn''t there? I recall seeing perfectly WHITE diamonds throw off rays of vivid greens...others vivid blues...reds etc.

You can also think the ray of light burned her retina. "Blinded by the light" (don''t ask me to sing the rest of that song...) I would see yellow too...you know if you look up at the sun for a period of time...same thing. You know she
17.gif
didn''t mean it to be an insult. That is way she was stunned when you said it isn''t yellow. If she was mean spirited she would follow by...well it sure doesn''t look very white or something. It was just a fluke of time, space and light. That is my story and I stand behind it!

DKS

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Divergrl, I love your ring. It''s really, really beautiful. I''m sure she didn''t mean anything by it. I say that because I have -- ahem -- been guilty of saying something off hand that later I felt terrible about, and I didn''t mean it at all the way it came out. And she maybe knows very little about diamonds, could be a reflection, etc.

suzi

Shiny_Rock
I agree with everyone else...your diamond doesn''t look the least bit yellow in the pictures you''ve posted!!! It''s gorgeous!
9.gif
That other person must be color blind!

The worst thing anyone has ever said about my ring was probably "oooh, it''s so big, is it real?" For starters, my diamond isn''t that big...it''s 1.19 carat. But I guess it must LOOK big on my hand...it''s a marquise and I have rather small hands. But still...to ask if it''s real? Even if I suspected someone''s ring was fake, I''d never have the gall to ask if it was! Most of the time people just say it''s pretty, or it''s sparkles a lot, or that it looks like a honker or something like that.

I am going to say that in one of the pictures I feel like I can detect a faint warmth. That being said, if I were actually with any of you ladies in person I would be so embarrassed to think maybe it is my imagination that I wouldn't say anything and wouldn't even trust myself. It is confusing to think that she would detect that in sunlight from the top though.

Maybe she has blond hair and you had it pointed right at her blond hair and it was reflecting that? or maybe she had on a yellow shirt as mentioned above?

I am going to guess that the primary culprit is probably environmental. True, an I has some color, but I just don't think out in the sunlight from the face up position it is realistic to think anyone would actually describe it as "yellow", maybe "warm" but surely not Yellow, thats just ridiculous. I def vote for some environmental factor that you had overlooked and that her, not knowing enough about diamonds, failed to realize was actually a benefit of a very well performing stone returning light/color.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
DKS hahahaha...you''re a funny one...you like my cute yellow diamond? LOL.

WorkingHard: I''m ok with a little warmth, and yes, in one photo I see it too...I mean, it''s not a D or anything!

Just Julia: She just got an upgrade awhile back (she had no diamond for the first 10 years of her marriage) to a 1 carat princess in a pretty trellis setting. Its a nice looking ring. I think her DH got it at Costco. (he originally emailed me for help a few years ago & I sent him here, but he got too overwhelmed & bought it there).

I''m just gonna write it off as ''one of those things'' and file it under "oh well!".

However, that was MONDAY & my ring has had about 10 runs in the U/S since then. Any dirt is now dead. I just took it out tonight.
20.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know.... I''ve always thought your ring was striking and handsome and interesting and beautiful and unique, but I never liked it as much as that full hand shot.... something about the matte with the shiny and the thickness.... I like your taste :D My ring is very different in style but some of the elements are the same - I just love wide matte bands.... I might have to get myself a white matte white gold band so I can get my creamy thing on. oh that sounded dirty LOL

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A man said "Very nice if you like that sort of thing" when I showed him a new ring.

When I got my emerald cut, a woman in a restaurant looked at it and said "Oh, I could wear that. It doesn''t flash at all."

oops...well, this is one I said to my coworker last night. She pulled out a new heart shaped promise ring her boyfriend gave her and I said, "oohhh, very nice, so you are into the whole heart thing?" Really bad decision...I didn''t catch myself in time though.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 8:43:52 AM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards
oops...well, this is one I said to my coworker last night. She pulled out a new heart shaped promise ring her boyfriend gave her and I said, ''oohhh, very nice, so you are into the whole heart thing?'' Really bad decision...I didn''t catch myself in time though.
I might have come close to saying that myself. Someone pulled out two huge heart-shaped amethysts (they were of very high quality though) to show me yesterday, and I shrieked.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
To me, your ring doesn''t look yellow at all! However, what color are the diamonds in the halo? If they are more white than the center stone, then the center stone might appear more warm. That''s the only thing I can think of! Either that or she''s color blind!
2.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I would guess that she ment it as a compliment. If she knows that you''re really into diamonds, that you got a new ring, and that fancy yellow diamonds have been all the rage in Hollywood etc. she may just have assumed that of course you''d have the nicest/newest/hottest thing around.

Also I think most people who don''t spend a lot of time thinking about jewelery might expect a halo on a colored stone moreso than on a diamond.

Either way, your ring is killer
18.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2007 10:12:21 AM
Author: mercoledi
I would guess that she ment it as a compliment. If she knows that you''re really into diamonds, that you got a new ring, and that fancy yellow diamonds have been all the rage in Hollywood etc. she may just have assumed that of course you''d have the nicest/newest/hottest thing around.

Also I think most people who don''t spend a lot of time thinking about jewelery might expect a halo on a colored stone moreso than on a diamond.

Either way, your ring is killer
18.gif

I agree until all these halos popped up on Pricescope I had mostly only seen that around a coloured stone. I am in the UK so don''t know if same in US.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do think though that whatever it was she wasn't saying it to be rude.

I have a cousin who likes very understated things. In the UK most rings are 25-50 points or coloured stones, anyway my cousins ring is a 15 point solitaire. When she got engaged her mother was on the phone to my mother, and mine knowing I would want to know said 'oh what style ring did she get'. My aunt said, 'I think it is very small, I expected it to be bigger, it is a round set in a small square shape', the gold shape. My aunt's ring is very small about 33 points three stone in a narrow victorian setting look and she thought the younger generation would be larger more modern (this was before all those narrow bands on Pricescope), but as my mother said well that is just her style and my aunt agreed she wouldn't want it big looking. My other cousin (her sister) who has been married years has a diamond three stone maybe 33 points total but set in an illusion setting around each stone making it look about 1 and half carat total so I think my aunt thought rings as in metal were bigger nowadays not necessarily diamonds.

Anyway at Xmas my cousin was in our house and I said, oh let me see the ring. Well I put my foot in my mouth, but she continued talking and never noticed. I nearly said something to make sure she knew I didn't mean it the way it came out but then I thought that may seem that I did and would make it worse. That may be what happened that your friend said nothing further.

What I said was, not thinking about it being a small diamond, but I think from my aunts description, 'Oh that's pretty mum said it was a solitaire in a small square. Now that small word should not have been there but it was said not meaning at all the diamond was small, just describing the size and shape of the metal and using the word small that had been used in describing it to me so I was thinking of the general look of the ring but had totally forgotten about the diamond being small. I honestly think now though that being in the UK and my cousin being minimalistic, she probably was thinking of the ring metal style too and not about that diamond size when I said it. That is what being on Pricescope in a different country mostly does to me.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2007 8:05:54 PM
When I got my 3 stone anniversary ring I was playing it low key when I went back into the office and just let people notice on their own. Everyone who did was extremely complementary, except for one coworker.

I was in her office talking to her and she kept on sneaking peeks at my ring when ever I would look away as we were speaking. I was standing next to the window and the sunlight was just dancing off my diamonds like nobody''s business. Well after I caught her for the millionth time checking out my ring I just came out and said. ''This is my 10th anniversary gift from my husband.'' to which she replied nonchalantly, ''Oh, yeah I noticed. It''s cute!''

''CUTE?''

Puppies are cute, pigtails are cute, a promise ring given by a 13-year-old is cute.
I would never describe my ring as ''CUTE''

I had the same thing happen, but it came from a JEWELER that I know. I walked in after I got my current setting and she grabbed my hand and said "CUUUUUUUUUTE!" I was like, um, who the hell is she talking to? This thing is a BRICK. There''s nothing cute about it! (BTW, I haven''t bought anything from her since!)

Diver, don''t even think for one more second about what your friend said. Who knows where these things come from that people blurt out without thinking? Your right is gorgeous and it''s not at all yellow

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 7:40:32 PM
Author: Mara
haha diver, she obviously was blind...

i think my worst one was when this guy who i don''t really like but is a friend of a friend looked at my ring which at the time was like 1.6c and said ''oh that''s pretty, what is it, about 3/4 of a carat?''. i was like umm..
yeh
20.gif
same thing happened to me. 2.13 and she looks at it and says, what is that 3/4? 1 carat? it''s gotta be at least 3/4 right?
she didn''t know any better i guess?
20.gif
it was like my first compliment too. sigh.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is me in a different country again. I could see someone here saying that though, meaning it was cute that your husband was romantic and got you a new ring and nothing to do with the size of the diamond, just that you were a cute couple.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My friend's Harry Winston classic emerald got a lovely, "Hey what sort of ring is that? I saw something like that at Kay. It's a baguette right?"

An old coworker told me the story that she had been given an antique Chaumet (not cheap) diamond ring by her fiance's great grandmother when they announced they would get married. It had a very antique feel to it, but was lovely. When they moved to the US, someone asked her where it was from and she said it was an antique and left the story simple.

The girl responded, "that's OK you guys will have time to make money now that you guys are in the US. Maybe then he'll buy you a shiny new one!"

That story had me rolling on the floor.

Some people say the darndest things.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wished I had said to Graff: "You''re in the trade. Can''t you tell?"
29.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 11:18:33 AM
Author: Nicrez
My friend''s Harry Winston classic emerald got a lovely, ''Hey what sort of ring is that? I saw something like that at Kay. It''s a baguette right?''

An old coworker told me the story that she had been given an antique Chaumet (not cheap) diamond ring by her fiance''s great grandmother when they announced they would get married. It had a very antique feel to it, but was lovely. When they moved to the US, someone asked her where it was from and she said it was an antique and left the story simple.

The girl responded, ''that''s OK you guys will have time to make money now that you guys are in the US. Maybe then he''ll buy you a shiny new one!''

That story had me rolling on the floor.

Some people say the darndest things.
omg, a new one ::shaking head:: I''ll never forget the woman who told me that my cushion wasn''t cut correctly and pulled out a black booger nosed modern cushion and told me now THIS is what a cushion should look like. this same exact woman 10 months later told me that emerald cuts should have really large tables like the one I was looking at which I forget now exactly what it was but it was close to 80. The diamond had no crown. Gorgeous pavillion, but no crown.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results