shape
carat
color
clarity

Will you watch Prince William and Kate's wedding?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
janinegirly|1304191891|2908656 said:
I don't think anyone is outright criticizing Kate's dress or expecting her use the occassion to be an aggressive trendsetter - some people just have different preferences on dresses and with such incredible build up and speculation, there are bound to be a few disappointed people. Of course Kate could care less what we think as she should, but it's still fun to chat amongst ourselves, isn't it?
I for one think she looked beautiful and classic, and would not have wanted some avant garde dress, but still..it was a dress I feel I have seen before and therefore wasn't wowed considering all the options she must have had (many I'm sure which tstill could have stayed within the realm of elegance and tastefulness,etc). I think ultimately it's true that she dressed for her style and also wanted to be respectful of the occassion on a bigger level (ie the Queen as head of Church, covering arms in the Abbey, ensuring it was a British designer,etc).

And on slight tanget, have you all heard that Beatrice's ridiculous hat / fascinator (torture device?) has it's own FB page with 78000 followers. Ha!

LOL! Yeah, I'd heard that. Lord but it does deserve its own page - it's a total monstrosity. My husband was like "You OK???" when he heard me shrieking about peach-colored antlers when I saw it. A day later when I found a still photo, HE came to look at it at my insistence, and jerked up when he saw it and said "Holy hell!!" ;))

I wonder if she'll ever live it down?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, my first thought was "BULLWINKLE!"

But even more hideous than the headgear were those eyes. You could see her face in the background when the camera shot was of Will and Kate at the front of the church. All you could see was black. Like she was wearing a Lone Ranger Mask.

Her grandmother must be delighted. :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, here's the whole shebang, Beatrice & Eugenie. These girls shouldn't be allowed in stores unsupervised!

P.S. The hats get nuttier & crazier in Britain -- will continue until somebody gets hurt! I was surprised to see such enormous concoctions at a wedding -- was always taught by my admittedly un-trend-setting mother that it's impolite to wear hats that prevent people behind you from seeing.

Image1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wrote of the Duke of York's daughters:

"I know that I uploaded a picture of one of them in a fantastic hat into one of the old Pricescope threads myself!"

This is the picture that I posted in another thread. It is of Princess Beatrice of York in another one of her flamboyant, but, I think, more attractive, hats!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

AGBFPrincessBeatriceButterflyHat.jpg

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1304193619|2908671 said:
Yeah, my first thought was "BULLWINKLE!"

But even more hideous than the headgear were those eyes. You could see her face in the background when the camera shot was of Will and Kate at the front of the church. All you could see was black. Like she was wearing a Lone Ranger Mask.

Her grandmother must be delighted. :bigsmile:

Hubs calls that "the heroin addict look". He's not a fan and neither am I. Besides, If I tried that as I redhead, I'd just look like some (old) goth/vampire hybrid, so...oh...wait...she's got red... :sick: :-o

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG! I just found it on FB! Over 83,000 people "LIKE". One person says "Poor girl, she had no clue as to how the IUD should to be used." :lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't see it before, but dang...it does doesn't it? LMAO!

ETA - anyone on FB, oh...go look at the pictures. You will literally DIE laughing! People are getting WAY too creative with photoshop.

I'm cryin'..

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved Kate's wedding dress, veil, tiara, earrings, her hairdo... I loved that she did her own makeup. I especially loved the significance of the lace. I thought she looked beautiful and elegant, and when she smiled she had that radiance that I always associate with happy brides. I guess I thought she looked "real" - and I enjoyed seeing William and Harry in their dress uniforms. I may be fooling myself but it did seem like a enormous family wedding rather than a formal monarchical event - and I'm definitely a fan of any occasion that celebrates love and faith and hope.

I love the photo of Kate & William sitting with the child attendants all around -

official-wedding-2_1884415b.jpg

Re: Beatrice and Eugenie - I read a comment somewhere that referred to them as appearing like the stepsisters at the ball in Cinderella... I definitely think they went the cartoonish route - I really can't believe they each looked in the mirror and thought "yes, perfect for a posh wedding, and don't I look great!"

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I thought the couple looked great! Maybe because I prefer classic over trendy?

One thing for sure: better undergarment [round padding] would have soften up the pointy chest.
As HollyS clarified, Camilla can't be a queen. Charles will be naturally king even if that means giving up his green thumb for a little while. As for William's children, first born will be most likely to be king/queen as current laws of royal succession are about to change {finally} it's just a matter of time and how many realms [15] approve any changes this coming fall . IMHO, altering 1701 act of settlement [restrictions/removal from order of succession when marrying Roman Catholic] at the same time, may delay the new reform since it looks quite sympathetic to Catholics 'only'.
Re: Eugenie, poor thing she's often called-- princess of p**k. so nasty. :(sad

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Lulie|1304201294|2908732 said:
I thought the couple looked great! Maybe because I prefer classic over trendy?

One thing for sure: better undergarment [round padding] would have soften up the pointy chest.
As HollyS clarified, Camilla can't be a queen. Charles will be naturally king even if that means giving up his green thumb for a little while. As for William's children, first born will be most likely to be king/queen as current laws of royal succession are about to change {finally} it's just a matter of time and how many realms [15] approve any changes this coming fall . IMHO, altering 1701 act of settlement [restrictions/removal from order of succession when marrying Roman Catholic] at the same time, may delay the new reform since it looks quite sympathetic to Catholics 'only'.
Re: Eugenie, poor thing she's often called-- princess of p**k. so nasty. :(sad

I didn't realise the law of succession was changing. Do you have a reference for this?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As HollyS clarified, Camilla can't be a queen.

Well, I adore Holly, but I don't believe that she is the final authority on the matter of whether Camilla will be Queen. I also disagree with you on whether Camilla is currently The Princess of Wales. I have heard it said numerous times that there is no doubt whatsoever that legally Camilla is The Princess of Wales since she is married to The Prince of Wales. That she is intelligent enough to have chosen to use another of her titles, The Duchess of Cornwall, so as not to inflame public opinion, does not make her any less The Princess of Wales.

I have also heard and read (although I certainly know that everything is up for interpretation!) that it would take an Act of Parliament to keep the King's wife from becoming Queen Consort in the United Kingdom. If that is so, we will have to see, if the current Prince of Wales lives to become King, whether the Parliament has the stomach to pass a law barring the King's wife from becoming the Queen Consort. I highly doubt it!

Deb/AGBF

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1304202554|2908734 said:

Well, I adore Holly, but I don't believe that she is the final authority on the matter of whether Camilla will be Queen. I also disagree with you on whether Camilla is currently The Princess of Wales. I have heard it said numerous times that there is no doubt whatsoever that legally Camilla is The Princess of Wales since she is married to The Prince of Wales. That she is intelligent enough to have chosen to use another of her titles, The Duchess of Cornwall, so as not to inflame public opinion, does not make her any less The Princess of Wales.

I have also heard and read (although I certainly know that everything is up for interpretation!) that it would take an Act of Parliament to keep the King's wife from becoming Queen Consort in the United Kingdom. If that is so, we will have to see, if the current Prince of Wales lives to become King, whether the Parliament has the stomach to pass a law barring the King's wife from becoming the Queen Consort. I highly doubt it!

Deb/AGBF

I only agreed with HollyS that Camilla can't be a queen not the complete post. None of us have any authority on the matter, it's just a chat. Most agree that she won't go farther than Charles's Consort [wich is magnificent] due to the fact that their marriage was civil. We are talking 'short' very 'short time on the seat here'. ;))

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1304158303|2908509 said:
I LOVE the second dress and the shrug.

Gypsy -- Whoville! hahahaha :bigsmile:

Yeah, I have to agree...I'm surprised at how much I liked the shrug! And the after-party dress was just so simple and classic. I would have worn it as a wedding dress.

Kate's actual wedding dress was OK by me. I didn't like the lace, but the rest of the dress was quite beautiful, and it fit her figure very well. And I definitely understand why she chose a conservative and classic style.

But I have to say I liked both of Pippa's dresses much better than both of Kate's!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I've read that several times too. Honestly, I don't think anybody in gov't, Church, or RF wants to make a big deal out of this. She's his wife under the law if not the C of E. Anyone starting a rumble on either side would look horrid, & what a useless distraction from real life! Bet it will never ever come up.

-- Laurie

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, there is something terribly wrong with those 2 girls and I can't believe the queen didn't ban them from the church! :-o Gosh!!! What an embarrassment!

portia

Brilliant_Rock
marymm|1304197979|2908716 said:
I loved Kate's wedding dress, veil, tiara, earrings, her hairdo... I loved that she did her own makeup. I especially loved the significance of the lace. I thought she looked beautiful and elegant, and when she smiled she had that radiance that I always associate with happy brides. I guess I thought she looked "real" - and I enjoyed seeing William and Harry in their dress uniforms. I may be fooling myself but it did seem like a enormous family wedding rather than a formal monarchical event - and I'm definitely a fan of any occasion that celebrates love and faith and hope.

I love the photo of Kate & William sitting with the child attendants all around -

official-wedding-2_1884415b.jpg

Re: Beatrice and Eugenie - I read a comment somewhere that referred to them as appearing like the stepsisters at the ball in Cinderella... I definitely think they went the cartoonish route - I really can't believe they each looked in the mirror and thought "yes, perfect for a posh wedding, and don't I look great!"

I hadn't seen this photo. It's so cute with the kids surrounding them! They look so happy.

I think everything about the wedding was perfect. Kate was absolutely glowing and it was so heart warming to see how close the brothers are to each other. Kate's dress was the perfect fusion of modern and traditional. I loved that the top part of her dress was a bustier, but then covered with gorgeous chantilly lace. Wish I could see a close up photo of the back - it looked really beautiful. I especially loved that they drove away from the palace after the royal wedding luncheon in his dad's vintage Aston Martin. So cool!!

Her dinner reception dress didn't look like much in photos, but I saw a video of her walking out with Camilla and the way that the fabric moves.... just gorgeous!!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lulie|1304204529|2908745 said:

I have also heard and read (although I certainly know that everything is up for interpretation!) that it would take an Act of Parliament to keep the King's wife from becoming Queen Consort in the United Kingdom.* If that is so, we will have to see, if the current Prince of Wales lives to become King, whether the Parliament has the stomach to pass a law barring the King's wife from becoming the Queen Consort. I highly doubt it!

I only agreed with HollyS that Camilla can't be a queen not the complete post. None of us have any authority on the matter, it's just a chat. Most agree that she won't go farther than Charles's Consort [wich is magnificent] due to the fact that their marriage was civil. We are talking 'short' very 'short time on the seat here'. ;))

I went back to your posting, Lulie, and couldn't find where you had said that Camilla was not the Princess of Wales. That is because you had not said it! I apologize for attributing that statement to you. You are quite right. That was Holly's statement. She wrote, "Camilla is the Duchess of Cornwall, and is not considered to be the Princess of Wales," and, as you said, you never agreed or disagreed with it in your posting!

Jewel Freak and I believe that Camilla can be Queen...if she and Charles live long enough. Apparently he has forced her to stop smoking which would increase her chances of survival to see him become King. We shall have to see how it all shakes out, however.

*Here is a reference:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article433701.ece

Deb/AGBF

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1304194073|2908674 said:
Oh dear, here's the whole shebang, Beatrice & Eugenie. These girls shouldn't be allowed in stores unsupervised!

P.S. The hats get nuttier & crazier in Britain -- will continue until somebody gets hurt! I was surprised to see such enormous concoctions at a wedding -- was always taught by my admittedly un-trend-setting mother that it's impolite to wear hats that prevent people behind you from seeing.

Somebody posted a comment on a newsite that Beatrice's hat (I think that's the one that is on the right in this pic) looked like an anus with a bow tied around it. I nearly died.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1304226030|2908943 said:
JewelFreak|1304194073|2908674 said:

Somebody posted a comment on a newsite that Beatrice's hat (I think that's the one that is on the right in this pic) looked like an anus with a bow tied around it. I nearly died.

Hmmm. My interpretation of the inkblot was not the same as his. In fact, I would refer him for further testing. In my opinion, that interpretation goes somewhat beyond the realm of the fanciful. Unless he is a proctologist, I seriously wonder what he has been looking at all day.

Deb/AGBF

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
The British Monarchy has an official website. There's some info on it, including:

"Born Camilla Rosemary Shand, after her marriage to The Prince of Wales, Her Royal Highness chose to use the title The Duchess of Cornwall.
In Scotland, Her Royal Highness is known as The Duchess of Rothesay.
As The Prince is the Earl of Chester, Her Royal Highness also holds the title The Countess of Chester.
When The Prince accedes to The Throne, it is intended that The Duchess will use the title HRH The Princess Consort."

Now, you all seem to understand much more about these titles than I do, but this looked like interesting information.

Here's the source:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/ThecurrentRoyalFamily/TheDuchessofCornwall/StyleandTitles.aspx

And, I like funny hats and I wish people wore them more in the U.S. Even if they look like body parts wrapped in bows.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1304227015|2908951 said:
The British Monarchy has an official website.

I am aware of that site, Haven. It is the one the British royal family uses for public relations. All it is telling you is what we already know, that Camilla and Charles do not want to get the British public riled up by using one of the titles she has now, that of The Princess of Wales, or by talkng about using the legal title that will be hers if they both live until Charles becomes King: Queen (Consort).

Deb/AGBF

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I like how Kate has her hand on William's knee in that photo with the kids. They look delighted to be married :))

All this wedding hoo haa has made me even more excited about my own! :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
This is not a morganatic marriage, with Charles & Camilla. In fact, the British Crown has never had a morganatic marriage, though a few kings or heirs (Edward VIII, George IV) tried for one. Thus Camilla is Princess of Wales, whether or not she uses the title, because she is married to the PoW. I can't imagine her being left out of the ceremony when Charles is crowned, as she would need to be if she were to be not-Queen. Can you picture Charles, who insisted on having her in spite of his mother the Queen's opposition as well as most of the country's, agreeing to be King without her being Queen? Fat chance!

Wikipedia explains it clearly:

Camilla, second wife of Charles, Prince of Wales, legally holds the title "Princess of Wales", but at the time that the engagement was announced, it was declared that she would be known by the title "Duchess of Cornwall" (derived from one of the other titles her husband held as heir apparent) in deference, it has been reported, to public feelings about the title's previous holder, the Prince's first wife Diana. It was simultaneously stated that at such time, if any, that her husband accedes to the throne, she will be known as "Princess Consort" rather than 'Queen', although as the King's wife she would legally be Queen.[10][11][12] The use of these lower titles does not denote a morganatic marriage. The ultimate test will be whether she participates in Charles' coronation, and if so, whether she is crowned as Queen.

To my mind she's kind of egregious, but what is, is.

--- Laurie

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1304119100|2908279 said:
Well personally I LOVED the veil. It was english net and stunning. I thought she looked very 'Maid Marian' and loved the fact that it wasn't poofy. Her tiara was perfect as well... William is not the heir yet and it was his grandmother's. Sentiment and class, not pomp and ceremony. I loved how understated all of her jewelry was. SHE was the real jewel. And as she is stunning and the bride I thought it was very fitting that everything framed her but didn't outshine.

As for her Grace Kelly dress... I thought it was very classic and safe. In my mind's eye when I think of a royal wedding gown Grace's is the one that comes to my mind. So no, it wasn't original, but really a royal wedding isn't the right time to re-invent the wheel. The dress suited her. The lace was stunning the brocade looked heavenly and I loved the train!!! That HUGE aisle in Westminster needs a long train. She looked like a cross between Maid Marian and Grace Kelly. And it worked for her.

I thought Pippa looked great. Actually it was the Queen's yellow suit that was a bit of an eyesore for me. But then again, compared to Sarah Fergeson's daughters (OMG did they escape from Whosville?) everything was tasteful. Who dresses those two?

Does anyone think that the Queen chose "lemon yellow" on purpose? I don't think she could have stuck out any more than she did. And I think that Beatrice and Eugenie lived up to their empty headed/drink-too-much/party girl(s) reputation. They were a sight. Then again, Phillip Treacy does turn out more than his fair share of weird and ridiculous looking hats.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
According to the BBC, the Queen & close family members -- Camilla, Duchess of Kent, etc., -- conferred beforehand so they didn't clash or end up all wearing the same color. It's what they usually do. She's the Queen, I imagine she didn't mind standing out a bit in spring color. She did wear Queen Mary's True Lovers' Knot Bow pin, a sweet bit of symbolism -- undoubtedly conscious, since her jewelry for special occasions is always chosen for symbolism.

I watched HM whenever they did a wide shot -- thought she was adorable. Her expression was like that of any happy Granny & I was touched that she allowed it to show. Have a feeling she's very satisfied about this marriage & confident it will be a lasting loving one. Finally.

Another thing she did to NOT stand out was to be seated before the bridal party entered. I read when Charles married Diana that she did the same as a special concession for Charles because normal protocol is for everyone to be in a room before the Monarch enters. I'm not sure how it was done in earlier public weddings (vs. small private family ones), whether this is strictly true or not. Sounds good, though!

--- Laurie

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemgirl|1304259862|2909096 said:
Well personally I LOVED the veil. It was english net and stunning. I thought she looked very 'Maid Marian' and loved the fact that it wasn't poofy. Her tiara was perfect as well... William is not the heir yet and it was his grandmother's. Sentiment and class, not pomp and ceremony. I loved how understated all of her jewelry was. SHE was the real jewel. And as she is stunning and the bride I thought it was very fitting that everything framed her but didn't outshine.

As for her Grace Kelly dress... I thought it was very classic and safe. In my mind's eye when I think of a royal wedding gown Grace's is the one that comes to my mind. So no, it wasn't original, but really a royal wedding isn't the right time to re-invent the wheel. The dress suited her. The lace was stunning the brocade looked heavenly and I loved the train!!! That HUGE aisle in Westminster needs a long train. She looked like a cross between Maid Marian and Grace Kelly. And it worked for her.

I thought Pippa looked great. Actually it was the Queen's yellow suit that was a bit of an eyesore for me. But then again, compared to Sarah Fergeson's daughters (OMG did they escape from Whosville?) everything was tasteful. Who dresses those two?

Does anyone think that the Queen chose "lemon yellow" on purpose? I don't think she could have stuck out any more than she did. And I think that Beatrice and Eugenie lived up to their empty headed/drink-too-much/party girl(s) reputation. They were a sight. Then again, Phillip Treacy does turn out more than his fair share of weird and ridiculous looking hats.

To what purpose? I thought she looked nice, and found the yellow to be cheerful, like new beginnings and spring. (I had an Easter dress in that exact shade when I was little.) Most pictures I see of her seem so drab, I found the yellow refreshing. In any case, she definitely could have stuck out a LOT more: SHE could have showed up in Beatrice's hat...in yellow. ;))

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
It transpired today that the reason that Kate has not been created Princess Catherine (as per William's wishes) is because Camilla would have to curtsey to her if she had. Apparently the Queen is due to publish a new order of precedence in the next few days to clarify the matter of what outranks whom.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1304261477|2909107 said:
According to the BBC, the Queen & close family members -- Camilla, Duchess of Kent, etc., -- conferred beforehand so they didn't clash or end up all wearing the same color. It's what they usually do. She's the Queen, I imagine she didn't mind standing out a bit in spring color. She did wear Queen Mary's True Lovers' Knot Bow pin, a sweet bit of symbolism -- undoubtedly conscious, since her jewelry for special occasions is always chosen for symbolism.

I watched HM whenever they did a wide shot -- thought she was adorable. Her expression was like that of any happy Granny & I was touched that she allowed it to show. Have a feeling she's very satisfied about this marriage & confident it will be a lasting loving one. Finally.

Another thing she did to NOT stand out was to be seated before the bridal party entered. I read when Charles married Diana that she did the same as a special concession for Charles because normal protocol is for everyone to be in a room before the Monarch enters. I'm not sure how it was done in earlier public weddings (vs. small private family ones), whether this is strictly true or not. Sounds good, though!

--- Laurie

Yeah, the royal family seems so much more human these days don't they? I know tradition still rules them, but I get the impression that they have learned some lessons from the emotional tragedy that was Charles/Diana/Camilla. I'm glad that some happiness at least, was salvaged out of that tragic mess. AND they do seem to be overtly and publically fond of William. Can you imagine them genuinely welcoming a commoner 30 years ago? And yes, if all the deep eye-contact and smiles are any indication, this marriage just may stand up to the pressures.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1304261931|2909114 said:

To what purpose? I thought she looked nice, and found the yellow to be cheerful, like new beginnings and spring. (I had an Easter dress in that exact shade when I was little.) Most pictures I see of her seem so drab, I found the yellow refreshing. In any case, she definitely could have stuck out a LOT more: SHE could have showed up in Beatrice's hat...in yellow. ;))

I read that as mother of the bride, Kate Middleton's mother got to choose which color she wanted to wear first, then the Queen chose, then Camilla chose. And the queen usually wears light blue to weddings (apparently she wore light blue to 5 out of the last 8 royal weddings), but since Mrs. Middleton chose light blue, she chose yellow.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1304262497|2909125 said:
JewelFreak|1304261477|2909107 said:

--- Laurie

Yeah, the royal family seems so much more human these days don't they? I know tradition still rules them, but I get the impression that they have learned some lessons from the emotional tragedy that was Charles/Diana/Camilla. I'm glad that some happiness at least, was salvaged out of that tragic mess. AND they do seem to be overtly and publically fond of William. Can you imagine them genuinely welcoming a commoner 30 years ago? And yes, if all the deep eye-contact and smiles are any indication, this marriage just may stand up to the pressures.

Yes, though the late Queen Mother was legally a commoner when she married the future King.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1304261931|2909114 said:

Well...... to what purpose? To be able to stand out on her own, and why? because she can and no one's ever going to come out and contradict the Queen! I think through the years, the Queen has been genuinely pissed off at the younger royals' popularity *especially* Diana's, and I think that she sees Kate Middleton as a commoner and an interloper, who has won and is going to continue to win people's hearts and approval for all of the obvious reasons. I think if she could have pulled off wearing Ivory without much criticism, she would have! I think the lemon yellow was a signal to Kate to not forget who she is, and that Kate is low woman on the totem pole.

It was interesting that someone on our mutual FB page said that they read the Princess Royal's lips when Will & Kate and family went into St. Edward's Chapel to sign the marriage registry. The words translated from Anne's mouth before the sour grapes expression crossed her face? "From rags to riches". The Windsor clan are not always such nice people behind the phoney smiles. They harbor a lot of animosity for those who marry in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results