shape
carat
color
clarity

Why don't you reply?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on what forum I'm reading. I don't reply to posts in RT or CS because although I've learned so much here over the years, I don't feel comfortable enough giving people advice on such an expensive purchase. I just don't have the experience with diamonds and colored stones that others do.

I post mostly in Hangout and a particular thread in F&H. I love the healthy living thread in F&H because it's more of a conversation between posters. There are some threads that I read but don't post in because I don't feel I have much to contribute.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I was talking about was simple stuff: for example, today: are your rings different sizes....person just wanted to know how to size their ring.
I rarely post on really important decisions because I don't know enough. I started a thread several weeks ago on the know it alls who push posters to get what they have.

PS: I have totally no snark in my posts, just curious

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1376264520|3501030 said:
Sarah you didn't even enter my mind when I was writing that. I think you and Gypsy in particular have a talent for cutting through the BS and just saying it like it IS, whatever it is... but without being unpleasant or mercenary about it. Speaking for myself - it is much appreciated ::)

Awww thanks Yssie- sorry my post wasn't to implicate that I thought it was me or not. I honestly just don't have time to sugarcoat everything and unfortunately a sarcasm font hasn't been invented yet so that also reduces what I respond to saying. I feel I post something and then notice you either say the same thing before or after me but so much more eloquently!!! I find myself responding to a poster with "how would Yssie or Charmy put this so I don't come off looking like a complete a$$!"

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the time, I don't reply because I don't think my opinion is what the OP is looking for. There are a lot of posts here I don't agree with, but I usually just bite my tongue.

If it's something I am knowledgeable about and/or it's a fun, light-hearted topic, I will reply.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
If it's about diamonds or gems I leave it alone. There are people with real expertise here and I defer to them. I can't even influence real life people to stay away from Zales.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Recommendations to use tools blindly. AGA, HCA... too often it seems that neither OP nor responder have any understanding of what the tool is actually outputting. If I read the sweeping declarations "I'd pick #1, it has HCA under 2!!" or "it's an AGS0, it'll be beautiful, AGS has already done all the work!!" one more time... I laughed out loud. What will I do? Well, I'll click away and not respond. ETA: The "pick the best IS" threads are another variety. Usually there are three perfectly lovely photos and the OP wants to know which is the "best stone". Invariably the one chosen is the one most similar to the flavour espoused by the various PS boutique vendors' signature lines, and very, very rarely is there any discussion about different flavours having different advantages and disadvantages in types of jewellery, different settings/lighting types, brillianteering...

I don't think that the average newbie guy visiting PS wants to make a federal case out of a diamond purchase. So, I give them the "sweeping generalizations" as a first pass and it's up the them to investigate further. Most of them do not want to invst the time and effort to personally sift through a discussion of the advantages or disadvantages of different makes, or of painting or brillianteering or whatever. They want to be spoon-fed the short course. Get a gorgeous diamond at a fair price, and be able to present it to their beloved with the knowledge that the ring is the 'best," however they define that. For most of those buyers, the PS "cheat sheet" is going to the the sweet spot that gets the job done expediently. If the newcomer wants more knowledge, then I feel it's the newcomer's responsibility to take the initiative to work the search engine(s), study those results, read tutorials online, and educate himself or herself. The buyer is the one making the purchase, and the diamond dealers are the ones making the money off the sale. I am not getting paid anything at all, so I keep my responses brief and steer the buyer to go do his or own digging. If they are not interested enough to go look it up themselves, then there certainly is no reason why PS members should be expected to do it for them.

ClassyRocks

Brilliant_Rock
I would feel awful if I gave inaccurate advice on RT, so I rarely post there. Also, I still feel like a novice on PS and my replies are just "noise" instead of substance.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1376272956|3501119 said:
Recommendations to use tools blindly. AGA, HCA... too often it seems that neither OP nor responder have any understanding of what the tool is actually outputting. If I read the sweeping declarations "I'd pick #1, it has HCA under 2!!" or "it's an AGS0, it'll be beautiful, AGS has already done all the work!!" one more time... I laughed out loud. What will I do? Well, I'll click away and not respond. ETA: The "pick the best IS" threads are another variety. Usually there are three perfectly lovely photos and the OP wants to know which is the "best stone". Invariably the one chosen is the one most similar to the flavour espoused by the various PS boutique vendors' signature lines, and very, very rarely is there any discussion about different flavours having different advantages and disadvantages in types of jewellery, different settings/lighting types, brillianteering...

I don't think that the average newbie guy visiting PS wants to make a federal case out of a diamond purchase. So, I give them the "sweeping generalizations" as a first pass and it's up the them to investigate further. Most of them do not want to invst the time and effort to personally sift through a discussion of the advantages or disadvantages of different makes, or of painting or brillianteering or whatever. They want to be spoon-fed the short course. Get a gorgeous diamond at a fair price, and be able to present it to their beloved with the knowledge that the ring is the 'best," however they define that. For most of those buyers, the PS "cheat sheet" is going to the the sweet spot that gets the job done expediently. If the newcomer wants more knowledge, then I feel it's the newcomer's responsibility to take the initiative to work the search engine(s), study those results, read tutorials online, and educate himself or herself. The buyer is the one making the purchase, and the diamond dealers are the ones making the money off the sale. I am not getting paid anything at all, so I keep my responses brief and steer the buyer to go do his or own digging. If they are not interested enough to go look it up themselves, then there certainly is no reason why PS members should be expected to do it for them.
You don't think spoonfeeding buyers numbers off a cheat sheet created by a vendor is free advertising? It may not be advertising for a specific PS vendor since individuals/vendors aren't usually credited, but it is certainly advertising for the specific flavour the PS boutique vendors specialize in. And since the cheat sheet is usually referenced without any of the accompanying context or explanation with which it was originally proposed, it certainly doesn't inspire people to think for themselves or explore further... But then, quick and dirtys never do.

To be clear: I have the highest regard for the trade person who originally posted the cheat sheet we're talking about! I do however think the cheat sheet in vacuum is now misused far too often.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
::HUGS:: Sarah!! This week was exceptionally crazy and the weekend was a circus and I'm nearing the end of my tether... eloquence is not my friend right now! I'm glad you know none of that was aimed at you - or anyone else on this thread! Just general ranting, really.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1376274508|3501136 said:
TC1987|1376272956|3501119 said:

You don't think spoonfeeding buyers numbers off a cheat sheet created by a vendor is free advertising? It may not be advertising for a specific PS vendor since individuals/vendors aren't usually credited, but it is certainly advertising for the specific flavour the PS boutique vendors specialize in. And since the cheat sheet is usually referenced without any of the accompanying context or explanation with which it was originally proposed, it certainly doesn't inspire people to think for themselves or explore further... But then, quick and dirtys never do.

To be clear: I have the highest regard for the trade person who originally posted the cheat sheet we're talking about! I do however think the cheat sheet in vacuum is now misused far too often.

Thank you for saying this. I couldn't agree more. That cheat sheet needs to go the way of the dinosaur. More and more I see what look to be very nice diamonds being rejected by certain posters on RT because they do not meet the very narrow parameters on that cheat sheet.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
If people want opinions (Is this pretty? Should I buy A or B? Which design is more versatile? Is this vendor good?), I reply.

If people want facts (Angles/Depths/Saturation/Prices etc on stones), I rarely reply because I really don't know a lot about the numbers.

Also, half the time, even if I want to reply, I can't, because depending on which pc / phone / kindle fire I am using to access PS, I may not be logged in and I have a HORRIBLE memory for passwords :(sad This happens to me on pretty much every online board.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since this is turning into a conversation about RT I will chime in too :bigsmile:

I get very frustrated in RT when well-meaning and dedicated posters -- which IMO encompasses all the people who take time to post in that forum -- do not take the time to read the very informative guide for prosumers created by Lorelei and stickied at the top of RT. It has a few very good "rules" that allow one to avoid many of the helping-pitfalls itemized in this thread! For example, one recommendation is for prosumers to avoid steering posters to particular vendors when the OP has already selected a different vendor! If the OP is evaluating a diamond from a B&M jeweler, don't immediately tell them to buy online and link a bunch of options! Help them evaluate the diamond they are considering! This annoys the crap out of me. I could jump in, but then I would have to not only respod to the OPs question but ALSO correct all the other misinformation or misleading stuff... double the work.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try not to comment unless the stone is from a Mickey Mouse lab.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't often answer questions about stones because I don't know much more than the cheat sheet. My hat's off to those who do.

I can sometimes offer help with settings, but nothing to do with halos or custom settings. So... I'm of very limited usefulness which is why you'll mostly find me posting here or in SMTB.

As for lots of views and few responses - meh. I suspect most people who post questions are more interested in the responses they do get than the ones they don't get. The place where someone might take offense or be hurt is in SMTB, so I'll usually offer an :appl: of some sort if I like what I see, even if it's only a few words of praise or adoration.

Here in hangout it's mostly regular posters, and I hope we all know that some topics fly and some don't and know not to take it personally if we post one that just doesn't. Just take it as a challenge to post a more compelling topic - or to make the same topic seem more compelling - next time! :wink2:

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D|1376279790|3501175 said:
Since this is turning into a conversation about RT I will chime in too :bigsmile:

I get very frustrated in RT when well-meaning and dedicated posters -- which IMO encompasses all the people who take time to post in that forum -- do not take the time to read the very informative guide for prosumers created by Lorelei and stickied at the top of RT. It has a few very good "rules" that allow one to avoid many of the helping-pitfalls itemized in this thread! For example, one recommendation is for prosumers to avoid steering posters to particular vendors when the OP has already selected a different vendor! If the OP is evaluating a diamond from a B&M jeweler, don't immediately tell them to buy online and link a bunch of options! Help them evaluate the diamond they are considering! This annoys the crap out of me. I could jump in, but then I would have to not only respod to the OPs question but ALSO correct all the other misinformation or misleading stuff... double the work.

Good advice! Helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results