shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! You definitely keep going like the Energizer bunny. I don't have one of those in our rabbit collection but I should get one. I'd tell Marty he is the new King of the Killer Rabbits! Ha! I don't know that my advice is worth much but I certainly hope I can offer some moral support. I have not watched Gilmore Girls. I'll have to give them a try. Today I watched 2 of the Star Trek movies and might rent something off VOD again tonight.

You enjoy the rest of your weekend too. :wavey:

Marcy

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, Please believe me when I say no one on here feels like you are ungrateful in anyway. You have had a terrible year and you are more than entitled to have down days. Maybe some of what I said earlier may have come out wrong. I was so very afraid that you were going take that one very stupid statement to heart. Everyone here also knows how hard you have been working on getting better. Even on the few bad days you have had, you still have managed to get your walking and exercises in. I wish you could be as proud of yourself as everyone is of you! You are incredibly strong. It's a slow process but you will get your life back. I hope you know how much we all care for you! Hugs

My mom was telling me today that her hip has been hurting pretty badly the past few days. I'm not sure what this means. She has been feeling pretty good since they did the surgical procedure on her back and had said earlier in the week that she was having Thanksgiving. I let her know that we set up the snow removal service for this winter. She told me that my stepfather will still be shoveling the snow when the snow plows plowing the street get snow on the driveway and was mad that the service doesn't come back a couple of times during a snow storm to make sure the street plows don't get snow on her driveway. She is drive me nuts. I can't get it thru her head that he could fall and break a hip. He's 80 years old. She won't listen even after she fractured a vertebra 3 weeks ago from a simple fall in the house. I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions on how to deal with her. I feel so bad because she's getting older and I hate to argue with her about anything but she is so stubborn. Where does their common sense go as they get older?

Marcy, Yourgetting close to having Marty back home now! It's too funny about him changing the bands on his watches. Luckily my husband has always been happy with the bands. He hasn't purchased a new watch in about a year. I'm sure he will find something new he wants soon.

I took the bag back and ended up purchasing a completely different bag. Macy's was having a great presale. I purchased it yesterday but can't pick it up until Dec 2. Then I came home and looked on line and I can get the same price online and not have to go back to the store. Crazy. I'm not even sure about the new one I bought. I haven't found anything I'm madly in love with so I may end returning the one I am picking up Dec 2. If I dont keep this one I'm giving it a rest for a month and I will start looking all over again in January. I figured it was best to buy it now while I can save $160 on it, since returning it won't be a problem.

We are getting some snow as I type this. The older I get the more I dislike winter.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so jealous of your beautiful hair Missy!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1416099568|3784399 said:
Hi Missy! You definitely keep going like the Energizer bunny. I don't have one of those in our rabbit collection but I should get one. I'd tell Marty he is the new King of the Killer Rabbits! Ha! I don't know that my advice is worth much but I certainly hope I can offer some moral support. I have not watched Gilmore Girls. I'll have to give them a try. Today I watched 2 of the Star Trek movies and might rent something off VOD again tonight.

You enjoy the rest of your weekend too. :wavey:

Marcy

Hi Marcy! Yes your advice is much appreciated and worth a lot to me so know that please. Definitely watch a few episodes of Gilmore Girls first season to decide what you think. Greg enjoys it as much as I do so perhaps both you and Marty will enjoy it. We watched it starting in 2000 when it first came on the air and now all 7 seasons are on netflix and we started from the beginning and already about 40 episodes in haha. We are binge watching and best of all no commercials to FF through. Love netflix.

Calliecake said:
Hi Missy, Please believe me when I say no one on here feels like you are ungrateful in anyway. You have had a terrible year and you are more than entitled to have down days. Maybe some of what I said earlier may have come out wrong. I was so very afraid that you were going take that one very stupid statement to heart. Everyone here also knows how hard you have been working on getting better. Even on the few bad days you have had, you still have managed to get your walking and exercises in. I wish you could be as proud of yourself as everyone is of you! You are incredibly strong. It's a slow process but you will get your life back. I hope you know how much we all care for you! Hugs

My mom was telling me today that her hip has been hurting pretty badly the past few days. I'm not sure what this means. She has been feeling pretty good since they did the surgical procedure on her back and had said earlier in the week that she was having Thanksgiving. I let her know that we set up the snow removal service for this winter. She told me that my stepfather will still be shoveling the snow when the snow plows plowing the street get snow on the driveway and was mad that the service doesn't come back a couple of times during a snow storm to make sure the street plows don't get snow on her driveway. She is drive me nuts. I can't get it thru her head that he could fall and break a hip. He's 80 years old. She won't listen even after she fractured a vertebra 3 weeks ago from a simple fall in the house. I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions on how to deal with her. I feel so bad because she's getting older and I hate to argue with her about anything but she is so stubborn. Where does their common sense go as they get older?

Marcy, Yourgetting close to having Marty back home now! It's too funny about him changing the bands on his watches. Luckily my husband has always been happy with the bands. He hasn't purchased a new watch in about a year. I'm sure he will find something new he wants soon.

I took the bag back and ended up purchasing a completely different bag. Macy's was having a great presale. I purchased it yesterday but can't pick it up until Dec 2. Then I came home and looked on line and I can get the same price online and not have to go back to the store. Crazy. I'm not even sure about the new one I bought. I haven't found anything I'm madly in love with so I may end returning the one I am picking up Dec 2. If I dont keep this one I'm giving it a rest for a month and I will start looking all over again in January. I figured it was best to buy it now while I can save $160 on it, since returning it won't be a problem.

We are getting some snow as I type this. The older I get the more I dislike winter.

Good morning Callie! OMG snow. Hope it is going to be warmer today and that all the snow is gone by you. I'm with you. The older I get the less I love the cold weather but most of that has to do with the fact that my hands and face freeze in not that cold temps. Body can stay warm but nothing I do (including wearing a face mask lol) keeps my face or hands warm enough.

As for your mom, is there any way in addition to the snow removal service you can hire a person who lives nearby who your mom and stepdad can call if it starts snowing and they cannot wait for the snow removal service? Or for before and after the snow removal service comes and they just want more shoveled? I know it is crazy but based on your mom's insistence that they just won't wait and she will send your stepdad out perhaps if you/they have someone on speed dial to take up the perceived slack of the snow removal service that would take their edge off and they will not foolishly go out and start shoveling. You know, that immediate gratification they can get by actually calling someone and saying we need you and they come (for a price of course).

Sometimes you can find young men looking for extra work that would be willing to do something like this. My parents found a young man whom as soon as it starts snowing comes to them first and it is a big help. A snow removal service has lots of customers and may not get to them as quickly as an individual who knows the backstory. I totally get what you are going through and I sympathize. I hope they remain smart and don't attempt shoveling themselves this year. That's all they (and you) need. :(( I hope your mom starts feeling better and begins her Thanksgiving planning. That will give her something to look forward to and take her mind off unpleasant thoughts I hope.

Tell us more about the pocketbook you bought at Macy's. How big is it, what brand, what color etc. I love a great sale and the satisfaction that comes from getting a good deal is not insignificant. I almost bought another SW pair of boots yesterday morning LOL because I could have gotten it online at a store (somewhere in the south I believe) for $200 off the original price. But fortunately despite the rush I was getting at finding such a good deal I resisted. I mean I do not need any more pairs of boots let alone SW boots haha. It's just it was in the Topo color I LOVE. Totally not practical for me to get that color though and even though Greg was telling me to get it I decided against it. There is a limit yanno?

Thanks for understanding about how I am feeling. I do need to be stronger though because most days I have times I get a bit down and I just need to get over it. This injury happened, there is no going back and I need to make the best of everything because there really is no other choice. Sure a good cry is cathartic at times but at other times perhaps not so helpful. I just hope that I can make more progress despite the fact that it is very slow because of course that is my biggest fear. Not improving (or even getting worse) beyond where I am now.

Thanks Callie for all your kind comments. I appreciate that and it does help me reading everything my friends here are writing. Good thoughts and advice goes a long way in helping my mood and energy and ultimately my recovery!

PS thanks again re hair compliment but believe me my hair is very thin/fine and though I have (had actually as I am losing it) a lot of hair to make up for its very fine texture it is not something to covet. I promise you!

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Missy....

I am a newbie here, but wanted to chime in as I think you are doing incredibly well. :saint: Unfortunately, I've had 3 major surgeries in 10 years (4 part ankle/foot surgery, ACL replacement, and a massive ovarian tumor removal) and have learned a few things...if I may.

Recovery, particularly the phase that you are in, is incredibly difficult from an emotional perspective. The minute changes, almost imperceptible changes, and the worries (will I ever return to full mobility) are incredibly taxing, both mentally and physically. If you can, don't try to feel bad/guility/frustrated with whatever you are feeling...just let yourself feel it...and try not to be so hard on yourself. It's a new normal now. When I was recovering from my ankle/foot/knee surgeries, I would label my feelings (it's bad, I feel mad at myself for feeling bad) which invariably made me feel bad/guilty for feeling bad..if ya know what I mean. I was a pretty active triathlete and would beat myself up for not being able to cycle for 5 miles without pain (or extreme exhaustion) or be able to swim 50 yards in under 40 seconds....or heck, even walk a few miles without feeling like I needed a nap! It's okay to be angry, scared, miserable, whatever it is....just let yourself feel it...then figure out, what can I do in this moment to move a bit closer to your goal. It's okay to let yourself wallow for awhile too...you've undergone a severe trauma and you are currently living in a 'new normal' which is scary, unknown and full of ups and downs. But being able to walk a few miles, regardless of pace is really quite impressive given the surgical trauma your body has endured. And if you (heck, any of us) bottle these feelings up, they will come back to haunt us....in the form of anger, doubt, over-reaction, eating, over-buying..whatever our own personal 'crutch' is.

Being able to look back on the journey (to see how far you've come), at least for me, helped me appreciate the present a bit more. And buying things like those suede boots, or anything small or big that remind you of the joy in life (lunch with friends, even if it's ordering in) are an essential part of recovery right now.

ROM can take quite a bit of time to really return (mine took a year). Swimming can really help in this area, but it's also incredibly hard on the soft tissues of the ankles (if you've ever noticed, swimmers have incredible ROM in their ankles). Is your ROM limitations side to side or pointing/flexing your foot? Each will have a different recovery path. I'd suggest you take it very, very slowly...but if you wanted to try swimming and it's okay with your Dr and PT, you could start with a few minutes of sitting on the side of the pool, gentle kicking for 30 seconds...off for 30 seconds...then build from there. Not sure how you feel, but this is where your surgical forum might come in handy...I would think others who have undergone your surgery have tackled similar situations?

I also wonder if your toe tendonitis may be attributed to the likely tightness in your calves, Achilles, and the tendons in your feet. Have you considered adding sports massage to your regimen? Do you use a tennis ball under the flats of your feet to loosen up the flexors (which run from above the ankles to your toes). At least in my case, dealing with casts and crutches forced my body to both impede my posture and/or not use/overuse muscles. So I had muscles that were super tight due to over/under use (heck, I still do, as my right, non surgical side, is chronically tighter than the left)...and that muscular imbalance can cause pain and/or tendonitis. Physical therapy only works on this a bit, but a good MT will focus solely on loosening up those muscles and trigger points. Plus, really good massage therapists can help break down scar tissue (which is not a one and done thing...bodies continue to remake scar tissue for a long time) and the scar tissue can impede mobilization. Check with a local tri team or running club...they usually have great recommendations as they often use massage therapy as a normal part of their workout routine. Or try the The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook...it's a godsend for self massage.

I know it's not very stylish, but how much are you wearing really well supported running shoes? They can help with the cushioning and heel toe walking (and help with the tendonitis). Also, have you ever considered having your gait recorded (usually a sports-oriented PT or personal trainer can do this). Even in my surgically repaired ankle, I really have to watch my gait (I am pigeon toed) and when I have a more normal gait, I tend to have less soft tissue pain (since my muscles/tendons are in better alignment).

Do you have any option of going back to work part time? When I had my ankle done, I tried to go back to work 8 hours a day, and honestly, it was too much. Again, I felt wracked with guilt that I couldn't do more, which made me even more frustrated. But I just told myself that 'this is what my body can handle right now' so I did 2 hours a day for a week, then 4, then 6, etc. And it allowed me to feel useful without feeling overwhelmed. I did the same with my last 2 surgeries, and it was helpful from a mental health perspective. Just a thought.

Finally, I found cognitive behavioral therapy to be really helpful during my recovery periods. I am a type A++ personality, and I found that CBT allowed me to separate my overwhelming emotions from rational thought. And then I could use rational thought to calm me down (I will never be able to run again! What makes me think that? How long does it take to restore normal function? Am I doing what is prescribed to me today to faciliate that goal? This sorta internal conversation). If you are not a reclining couch kinda person, there are great workbooks out there (and even private journaling) that might bring some anxiety relief. Just a thought.

Anyways, hope this isn't too much info. Just know there is another PS'er (a newbie) rooting for you!

PS...I have a VeriLux Happylight and I agree with you, it is DA BOMB! Just be careful, though. Studies have shown that overuse can cause anxiety (I'm talking like 4 to 8 hours of direct use)..and that late afternoon/evening use can throw off circadian rhythms). But in the morning..yowsa, particularly in these cold, cruddy late fall days :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome TechieTechie!!! Thank you so much for your warm and thoughtful post. I'm sure your post will bright Missy's spirit and couldn't be coming at a better time! Thank you again for jumping in. I also hope you are feeling well now. It sounds like you have been through quite the ordeal.

Sorry Missy for jumping in here as I know you will want to thank Techie on your own. I was just so excited when I read this post. Please don't be mad at me. How are you feeling today? Do you and Greg have plans today?

Thank you so much for the advice about my parents. I was so frazzled yesterday when I sit down to write. It really comes down to them being stubborn. My mom is terrible. I remember when I was working we had an ice storm so wheni got to work I called her and told her to not go grocery shopping until later in the day so the salt would have a chance to work on the ice. Her reply was I will be fine. We are leaving in 10 minutes. I had explained that I had seen probably 10 spin outs in a very short distance. No amount of calm reasoning works with her. My husband heard me on the phone yesterday and I know he's angry. He told me If they call to complain one time that he refuses to pay for the service next year and they are on their own. It takes a lot to make him angry. He is always the first one to help them and we really do a lot. I just feel that now we are expected to do everything while my siblings do nothing. I promise i will stop complaining about the family issues. I think I need to go back to work. At least that way they won't drag me into everything. I won't have time to talk to them during work hours.

I went to Macy's today and bought three bags! All the same style in different colors. I bought the Coach Medium Size Borough Bag. I've liked the bag since earlier this year but I'm really not a fan of Coach. They were close to half off at Macy's. I stopped at the Coach store and they had every bag in the store at full price. I bought one black, one earth (taupe color) and one that is a color block (burgundy, taupe with charcoal color handles). I had a good day! Hopefully I won't feel the need to return them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies!

Missy, I will definitely have to hunt down some Gilmore Girls to watch. I am watching “Monster-In_Law” right now. It’s pretty funny. I think you’ll find a balance between nurturing you soul with some sad and down me time and finding the path back to your life’s comfort zone. No one can expect you to get over and recover from a serious injury in a short amount of time. Life becomes our normal routine and we adapt slowly sometimes kicking and screaming in to our new normal everyday life. All we can do is keep trying. Some days will just always be harder than others.

Calliecake, I am glad your mom feels up to having Thanksgiving. I wish I could give you some suggestions on getting your mom and stepfather to be careful but my parents wouldn’t listen to me. I think they viewed cutting back or not doing their normal everyday thing meant giving up some of their freedom. It’s hard to watch and deal with. That is good your husband likes the bands that come with his watches. This last one he was going to buy came with 2 bands one of which was metal. That added quite a bit to the price and I pointed out how many of his metal bands does he wear? That saved us some money. I hope you like the new bags you got. I gave away all my Coach bags but saw they have some Snoopy ones now. Rats now I want one. I agree with you, I like snow and ice less each and every year.

TechieTech, you’ve been through quite a bit the last decade. You have some great advice how to deal with adversity and changes in your life. I hope things are looking up for you now.

I made homemade pizza for lunch and chocolate chip cookies this afternoon. Seemed like that was a lot of dishes to eat 2 pieces of pizza and 2 cookies. I have 3 lunches left though and promises cookies tomorrow for a friend that is coming over.

My football team got embarrassed today. Rats.

I swapped text with Marty for a while today. He had to work at the hotel since the power at the office was off again.

Have a great Monday!
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TechieTechie said:
Missy....

I am a newbie here, but wanted to chime in as I think you are doing incredibly well. :saint: Unfortunately, I've had 3 major surgeries in 10 years (4 part ankle/foot surgery, ACL replacement, and a massive ovarian tumor removal) and have learned a few things...if I may.

Recovery, particularly the phase that you are in, is incredibly difficult from an emotional perspective. The minute changes, almost imperceptible changes, and the worries (will I ever return to full mobility) are incredibly taxing, both mentally and physically. If you can, don't try to feel bad/guility/frustrated with whatever you are feeling...just let yourself feel it...and try not to be so hard on yourself. It's a new normal now. When I was recovering from my ankle/foot/knee surgeries, I would label my feelings (it's bad, I feel mad at myself for feeling bad) which invariably made me feel bad/guilty for feeling bad..if ya know what I mean. I was a pretty active triathlete and would beat myself up for not being able to cycle for 5 miles without pain (or extreme exhaustion) or be able to swim 50 yards in under 40 seconds....or heck, even walk a few miles without feeling like I needed a nap! It's okay to be angry, scared, miserable, whatever it is....just let yourself feel it...then figure out, what can I do in this moment to move a bit closer to your goal. It's okay to let yourself wallow for awhile too...you've undergone a severe trauma and you are currently living in a 'new normal' which is scary, unknown and full of ups and downs. But being able to walk a few miles, regardless of pace is really quite impressive given the surgical trauma your body has endured. And if you (heck, any of us) bottle these feelings up, they will come back to haunt us....in the form of anger, doubt, over-reaction, eating, over-buying..whatever our own personal 'crutch' is.

Being able to look back on the journey (to see how far you've come), at least for me, helped me appreciate the present a bit more. And buying things like those suede boots, or anything small or big that remind you of the joy in life (lunch with friends, even if it's ordering in) are an essential part of recovery right now.

ROM can take quite a bit of time to really return (mine took a year). Swimming can really help in this area, but it's also incredibly hard on the soft tissues of the ankles (if you've ever noticed, swimmers have incredible ROM in their ankles). Is your ROM limitations side to side or pointing/flexing your foot? Each will have a different recovery path. I'd suggest you take it very, very slowly...but if you wanted to try swimming and it's okay with your Dr and PT, you could start with a few minutes of sitting on the side of the pool, gentle kicking for 30 seconds...off for 30 seconds...then build from there. Not sure how you feel, but this is where your surgical forum might come in handy...I would think others who have undergone your surgery have tackled similar situations?

I also wonder if your toe tendonitis may be attributed to the likely tightness in your calves, Achilles, and the tendons in your feet. Have you considered adding sports massage to your regimen? Do you use a tennis ball under the flats of your feet to loosen up the flexors (which run from above the ankles to your toes). At least in my case, dealing with casts and crutches forced my body to both impede my posture and/or not use/overuse muscles. So I had muscles that were super tight due to over/under use (heck, I still do, as my right, non surgical side, is chronically tighter than the left)...and that muscular imbalance can cause pain and/or tendonitis. Physical therapy only works on this a bit, but a good MT will focus solely on loosening up those muscles and trigger points. Plus, really good massage therapists can help break down scar tissue (which is not a one and done thing...bodies continue to remake scar tissue for a long time) and the scar tissue can impede mobilization. Check with a local tri team or running club...they usually have great recommendations as they often use massage therapy as a normal part of their workout routine. Or try the The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook...it's a godsend for self massage.

I know it's not very stylish, but how much are you wearing really well supported running shoes? They can help with the cushioning and heel toe walking (and help with the tendonitis). Also, have you ever considered having your gait recorded (usually a sports-oriented PT or personal trainer can do this). Even in my surgically repaired ankle, I really have to watch my gait (I am pigeon toed) and when I have a more normal gait, I tend to have less soft tissue pain (since my muscles/tendons are in better alignment).

Do you have any option of going back to work part time? When I had my ankle done, I tried to go back to work 8 hours a day, and honestly, it was too much. Again, I felt wracked with guilt that I couldn't do more, which made me even more frustrated. But I just told myself that 'this is what my body can handle right now' so I did 2 hours a day for a week, then 4, then 6, etc. And it allowed me to feel useful without feeling overwhelmed. I did the same with my last 2 surgeries, and it was helpful from a mental health perspective. Just a thought.

Finally, I found cognitive behavioral therapy to be really helpful during my recovery periods. I am a type A++ personality, and I found that CBT allowed me to separate my overwhelming emotions from rational thought. And then I could use rational thought to calm me down (I will never be able to run again! What makes me think that? How long does it take to restore normal function? Am I doing what is prescribed to me today to faciliate that goal? This sorta internal conversation). If you are not a reclining couch kinda person, there are great workbooks out there (and even private journaling) that might bring some anxiety relief. Just a thought.

Anyways, hope this isn't too much info. Just know there is another PS'er (a newbie) rooting for you!

PS...I have a VeriLux Happylight and I agree with you, it is DA BOMB! Just be careful, though. Studies have shown that overuse can cause anxiety (I'm talking like 4 to 8 hours of direct use)..and that late afternoon/evening use can throw off circadian rhythms). But in the morning..yowsa, particularly in these cold, cruddy late fall days :)

Hi TechieTechie, welcome to PS and THANK YOU for all your wonderful advice and info. I am so sorry for all you have been through in the last decade and glad you have come through it as well as you have.

So much info and all very helpful. The gait measurement is something I never heard of but seems like it may help. I am sure I need help in that area as I am not walking normally. What you wrote about the tightness of the calves possibly causing or contributing to my toe tendonitis makes sense and I am going to try finding someplace where I can have mine measured where they can help me with correcting it. I already know where I am going to ask about finding a good MT to help with the breaking up of my scar tissue and work on loosening up my muscles.

I just ordered the workbook thank you! I cannot wait to get started with that because everything you wrote makes sense and might be just what I need. My toe has been killing me all afternoon and I probably made a stupid mistake today as I kept walking today (around 3 miles) even through the pain so right now I can barely walk at all despite massaging the tendon and icing it tonight a few times now since I returned home. Definitely not the brightest thing I ever did but my therapist told me to try to work through it and I overdid.

As for my ankle ROM I have the most trouble with back and forward (toe pointing as you described it). The most challenging movement is bringing my toe toward me. I guess kicking in a pool would help with that? Is that I wonder if I could mimic that movement in a big tub of water instead. It's just at the moment going to a pool doesn't appeal to me with the weather being so cold. Getting there and getting back with a wet head in the winter well, I have some not so good memories of those days way back from HS when I was swimming competitively. So I would love to not do that but if it was the only way to get my ROM back I would. I didn't realize how tough swimming could be on the soft tissue in the ankles so I would be concerned about doing any more damage to that area. Thank you for the time estimate that it took you to recover your ROM. It helps to see that it does take time for others too.

I don't belong to a surgical forum because I thought I would be better off not reading others horror stories as sometimes people who experience the worst of it tend to post in the specialized forums. Do you have one you could recommend for me to start reading if you think it is a good idea?

I am wearing supportive sneakers when I work out and go to and from PT and I still experience that toe pain so I have been wearing my boots when out and about on the weekends but maybe I need to reconsider that. I didn't think the boots were exacerbating my toe issue but it wouldn't hurt to wear my sneakers if I am going to be walking a lot. As much as I love wearing my pretty boots that can wait as the most important thing is for me to heal and be without pain and regain as much of my functioning as possible.

As for work that is on the back burner right now. I couldn't go in for a couple of hours there. They might say OK do half a day but I know from my time there that would turn into a full day. No question and I couldn't just leave because my responsibility is too great so it is just better for me to wait until I feel strong enough and ready. Even though we are taking a financial hit we are OK and if I had that on my worry list it would be overwhelming to me in addition to everything else I am going through. I know you get it and appreciate your thoughts on this.

I never tried CBT but I think I do that anyway. That internal dialogue talking myself down from the ledge and into rational thought. I calm myself by doing that without even realize that was similar to CBT. And by posting here too. It helps having people who care listen and offer advice and comfort. And I completely agree with you in allowing myself to feel what I feel. I guess I am getting tired of feeling down but I know that it is normal to have those moments given all that has happened these last 5 months. My new "normal" is challenging and I truly hope I can get rid of this pain and regain much of my functioning at least sometime in the future.

The biggest scary thought for me is that I will always have some level of pain and disability that will affect my quality of life. And it is hard to talk myself out of that one because it is not out of the realm of possibility. That much I know. Of course I am hopeful that won't be the case and that I will be OK eventually. That it will just take time and that life (even my new normal) will be good again. I am present in today though and taking it one day at a time and still enjoying life as best I can but looking forward to a tomorrow without pain and (too many) limitations.

I have only done the Verilux Happy Light for a week now and so far so good. Not sure I notice any change yet but I am hopeful. I do it for an hour first thing in the morning. Totally agree about the late fall cold and dark depressing days so very hopeful the light will lift my mood as I always suffered from SAD this time of year. And this year I have more reasons than ever to need that light lol.

TechieTechie, thank you so much for taking all that time to write such a comprehensive post to help me. You have no idea how much I appreciate this and just want to let you know how much this means to me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1416169024|3784766 said:
Welcome TechieTechie!!! Thank you so much for your warm and thoughtful post. I'm sure your post will bright Missy's spirit and couldn't be coming at a better time! Thank you again for jumping in. I also hope you are feeling well now. It sounds like you have been through quite the ordeal.

Sorry Missy for jumping in here as I know you will want to thank Techie on your own. I was just so excited when I read this post. Please don't be mad at me. How are you feeling today? Do you and Greg have plans today?

Thank you so much for the advice about my parents. I was so frazzled yesterday when I sit down to write. It really comes down to them being stubborn. My mom is terrible. I remember when I was working we had an ice storm so wheni got to work I called her and told her to not go grocery shopping until later in the day so the salt would have a chance to work on the ice. Her reply was I will be fine. We are leaving in 10 minutes. I had explained that I had seen probably 10 spin outs in a very short distance. No amount of calm reasoning works with her. My husband heard me on the phone yesterday and I know he's angry. He told me If they call to complain one time that he refuses to pay for the service next year and they are on their own. It takes a lot to make him angry. He is always the first one to help them and we really do a lot. I just feel that now we are expected to do everything while my siblings do nothing. I promise i will stop complaining about the family issues. I think I need to go back to work. At least that way they won't drag me into everything. I won't have time to talk to them during work hours.

I went to Macy's today and bought three bags! All the same style in different colors. I bought the Coach Medium Size Borough Bag. I've liked the bag since earlier this year but I'm really not a fan of Coach. They were close to half off at Macy's. I stopped at the Coach store and they had every bag in the store at full price. I bought one black, one earth (taupe color) and one that is a color block (burgundy, taupe with charcoal color handles). I had a good day! Hopefully I won't feel the need to return them.

Hi Callie, you are right. TechieTechie's post was very helpful and did bring my spirits up. Today was a painful day and my toe is still hurting quite a bit and reading everything she wrote is very helpful.

I am glad you bought those pocketbooks and am sure you will get much use from them. And the price was great too. Love the colors you got.

I am so sorry about your mom. I wish I knew what you could do but when parents get older some of them (my mom for sure) get more stubborn and much more difficult to reason with. My heart goes out to you and I hope she starts feeling better soon. I find that when people are in pain they are even more difficult to deal with. Just ask Greg haha. Seriously though sending good thoughts your way Callie.

marcy said:
Hi ladies!

Missy, I will definitely have to hunt down some Gilmore Girls to watch. I am watching “Monster-In_Law” right now. It’s pretty funny. I think you’ll find a balance between nurturing you soul with some sad and down me time and finding the path back to your life’s comfort zone. No one can expect you to get over and recover from a serious injury in a short amount of time. Life becomes our normal routine and we adapt slowly sometimes kicking and screaming in to our new normal everyday life. All we can do is keep trying. Some days will just always be harder than others.

Calliecake, I am glad your mom feels up to having Thanksgiving. I wish I could give you some suggestions on getting your mom and stepfather to be careful but my parents wouldn’t listen to me. I think they viewed cutting back or not doing their normal everyday thing meant giving up some of their freedom. It’s hard to watch and deal with. That is good your husband likes the bands that come with his watches. This last one he was going to buy came with 2 bands one of which was metal. That added quite a bit to the price and I pointed out how many of his metal bands does he wear? That saved us some money. I hope you like the new bags you got. I gave away all my Coach bags but saw they have some Snoopy ones now. Rats now I want one. I agree with you, I like snow and ice less each and every year.

TechieTech, you’ve been through quite a bit the last decade. You have some great advice how to deal with adversity and changes in your life. I hope things are looking up for you now.

I made homemade pizza for lunch and chocolate chip cookies this afternoon. Seemed like that was a lot of dishes to eat 2 pieces of pizza and 2 cookies. I have 3 lunches left though and promises cookies tomorrow for a friend that is coming over.

My football team got embarrassed today. Rats.

I swapped text with Marty for a while today. He had to work at the hotel since the power at the office was off again.

Have a great Monday!
Marcy

Hi Marcy, the countdown to Marty's return begins in earnest now woohoo. Sorry about his office there losing power. We take a lot for granted here and I remember during the blackout of 2003 it was terrible. We weren't prepared at all and then when we lost power during Irene and Sandy hurricanes. Yeah not fun. Hope Marty is doing well during his trip and getting what he needs to get accomplished.

That is a lucky friend of your who is getting the cookies you baked. If you have any extra I am sure Callie and I would love them haha.

Have a good night. :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! :wavey:

I am so anxious for Marty to come home. I must be going crazy or already there - I lined up the bears and rabbits on the couch to watch football with me today. At least they didn't get drunk and spill beer everywhere, right? :lol:

My cookies are often requested by family and friends. My chocolate chip cookies are actually called "Death Cookies". That came about because I think I'm pretty funny and used to put poison stickers on Marty's lunch. About 8 of us played cards at lunch so one time I took in a bag of my cc cookies for all of us and naturally put a poison sticker on the bag of cookies. One of the card players called the "Death Cookies" and the name just stuck.

I'll send you and Callie some cookies now. I hope the mailman doesn't eat them before they get there.

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha Marcy, I will be waiting by the door for those death cookies as I am sure Callie will be doing as well. What a lovely way to die and that is one non-jewelry delivery I will be looking forward to receiving. :cheeky:
And if that darned postman gets to them before I do well there's no telling what I might do. :devil:

PT went well today and Victor had me there for an hour and 20 minutes. I think he feels badly that I have to pay out of pocket and that I will only be coming to PT once a week. We had a good session today. My toe pain was a bit less this morning and I might have TechieTechie to thank for that because I massaged the trigger points with a small ball this morning before we walked to PT and it seemed better and then Victor went all out on the toe pain today. He did massage for a long while and then ultrasound and electrical stimulation and lots of toe exercises.

I gave Victor our phone # because we would like to hire him to help us out on the Pilates Reformer which might be arriving this Friday or maybe next week. We definitely want some instruction other than just videos and youtube before we feel comfortable using the Reformer on our own. I am not sure he will have time as he works 6 days a week right now but if he has time that would be great.

Then I went home worked out on my elliptical and then walked on the treadmill for 2 miles and then I had to stop as my ankle had enough. I did the treadmill because it is raining and miserable outside so I decided the treadmill was good enough on days I didn't want to brave the weather. Then I made an impulse buy of an ultrasound unit and a TENS/EMS unit.

I have no clue if the units I purchased are any good but I did some research and read reviews and took a chance. The price was affordable and I felt I didn't have much to lose and it was worth the try since I wouldn't be going to PT 3 days a week anymore. The worst review said the combo TENS/EMS was complicated to figure out how to use but I figure if Greg cannot figure it out (no way I will be able to LOL) I could bring it to PT and have Victor show me how to use. I will let you guys know what I think in case anyone is interested. These are supposed to be good for chronic pain and inflammation for many different conditions so others might be interested if I find it helpful.

I hope all of you are having a good Monday. It is dreary and wet here but I am comfy and cozy and just hanging out now relaxing with the kitties.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Missy,

Did those cookies arrive today? My friend and I each had 3 cookies tonight but they are small.

I am glad to hear you had a nice long PT session today and that your toe pain was less intense. That would be great if Victor can come over and help you guys getting going with the new pilates reformer.

I hope the ultrasound and TENS/EMS work well for you. I know my parents did sessions with something like that and sure liked the results. Anything that helps, right?

I hope you enjoyed the dreary day all cozy and comfy with the kitties.

I took a sick day today to wait for a package delivery. Marty’s watchband arrived about 10:30 so I dashed out for a few errands. As luck would have it our shutters arrived in town today so they came and installed them this afternoon. They look fabulous!!! I am very happy with them. They gave us a 10% refund for taking over 5 months, which I turned around and used towards a woven wooden shade for our bedroom. I had to pay them $112 more.

I picked up a few things at Kohl’s and enjoyed visiting with my friend tonight over supper. Olive Garden gives you so much food. We ended up saving more food than we ate. My frig is so darned full of leftovers.

Poor Marty worked until 6 am his time or basically about 23 hours today. Poor guy must be beat. He’ll be on a plain in about 9 hours to start his voyage home. Yippee!!!!

Take care.
Marcy

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm so sorry to hear about your toe pain today. Did the therapy session and massage help the pain? It sounds like you did well with walking and therapy today. I can't believe all you have been able to with the pain that you have been having.

It would be wonderful if Victor could help help set up the Pilates reformer. Does he normally work many hours during the week? I'm glad he was Abel to spend and hour and a half with you. He sounds like such a nice person. Was Greg able to find out more regarding the insurance?

Hi Marcy, You must be so happy Marty is finally coming home. Will he be home for awhile or do they have him traveling in December?
It's nice you were able to get together with your girlfriends. When my husband was traveling often my best friend and I would go to dinner all the time. Her husband was also traveling often so we were always going to dinner and shopping. They moved out of state a few years ago and I so wish she was back here.

Did you have plantation shutters installed? We had them installed in a few rooms this summer and they took quite a while to come in. I believe it was a couple months before they were installed.

Your chocolate chip cookies sound so delicious!

It is supposed to -5 below with the wind chill tomorrow morning. We are having temperatures we usually see in January. I hope this cold weather this is isn't headed your way Missy.

Hi OV, I hope all is well with you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies! Ovi, you are in my continued thoughts and I hope all is well.

Marcy, Callie and I are still waiting for those death cookies lol. That darn postman is going to get it if he doesn't deliver them soon haha. But my waistline will thank him. ;))

Poor Marty but thank goodness he is finished with work over there and on his way back home to you! I hope he gets to stay home now for a long time before his next business trip.

Yay on your new shutters. It's amazing how a smallish change like that can make a huge difference to the appearance of the house isn't it? It freshens everything up and gives the rooms a whole new look. Good for you in getting the discount for the delay and hope your new woven wooden bedroom shade takes a shorter amount of time to get to you.

I am glad you have good friends who can keep you company while Marty is away. Having close friends can be such a comfort when you are in need and even when you aren't.

Callie, how are you and how is your mom doing? Did your brother ever rise to the occasion and visit her? Or do anything for her since her injury and surgery? I hope you and your dh and your mom are holding up and doing well.

Update on my honey mask- no help right now. My skin on my face is very irritated and red with bumps around the nose area so I would have to give it a big fat negative on being any help. I will continue with it for another few weeks if it doesn't seem to be causing me an allergic reaction just in case it starts working but well needless to say I am disappointed. I never had this issue before and red bumpy skin is not something I need to be added to my list right now but oh well.

The cold is here Callie and I am sorry you are dealing with it too but on an even colder scale. Brrrrr winter is here no matter what the calendar says!

winter_smilies_0012.gif

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I hope your toe is feeling better today. You made no mention of it in your post this morning. I'm hoping that is because the pain has subsided. Please tell me I'm correct. I was so hoping Techie's post would put your progress in perspective for you. How are you feeling emotionally?

Everything is fine with my mom. I'm seriously just steering the conversations away from the topics that I know will upset me. My brother has called a few times and that has made her happy. So as far as I know all is good for the time being.

I'm sorry you are also getting blasted with thIs cold weather. It's just too early in the season for it to be this cold. I know it's bad when even the dog doesn't want to go outside. I think it may be time to book a trip someplace warm.

I'm waiting for one of my bags to be delivered. I just hope once I put everything in it that I still love it. As you know, I'm been down this road too many times this past month. This particular bag doesn't have feet on the bottom. Do you think the shoe repair place would be able to add them? I've never had them do anything like this in the past. I plan on calling to find out if this is possible.

I hope you are having a good day today.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy! You’d better get after that postman for eating your and Callie’s cookies. He couldn’t help it though. It is amazing how one change can really make a dramatic difference in a room. It seems less cluttered and bigger now, which is strange because it’s only the windows involved. I agree having good friends to spend time with is nice.

How are you doing today? How is your ankle and toe? I hate to hear your face is irritated still / again. I have a case of the itches today. One spot is right by the edge of my bra. I kept heading to the bathroom to scratch. Ha Ha.

Hi Calliecake! I am quite anxious for Marty to get home. It sounds like he may be gone 2 to 3 weeks in December too but I am not sure yet. I am sorry your dinner and shopping friend moved away. I am sure you miss her. Does your husband still travel? Yes, we order plantation shutters. I guess they had the little square ones done for Marty’s office a few months ago but our den has an arched window so they kept asking questions on the dimensions to get them right. I’ll post a picture of the den. Do you like your plantation shutters? Stay warm! I heard on the news all 50 states were below freezing last night. Good idea to ask a shoe repair person to put feet on your new bag. I hope you like them.

I woke up early to check Marty’s flight status. He sent me some text from Dubai. Poor guy is fried from not sleeping much. Sadly he won’t get to Denver until about 10:30 tomorrow then he has to drive home.

Work was busy so the day zipped by. We got a big assorted gift basket from someone we do work for so I ate far too much junk today. It was from a bakery in NY. They sent things like marble bread, scones, cookies, shortbreads, etc.

Take care.
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the shutters in the den.

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1416362527.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies.

Callie, I don't see why your cobbler cannot put feet on the bottom of your bag. I never had that done though so I am not 100% sure but my guess is yes.

I am not doing well but that is mainly because my face seb derm has gotten so much worse. I am at a loss as to what to do so I am hoping in time with continued treatment (derm's Rxs and honey masks) it will calm down. I don't want to think of the other possibility that it might keep getting worse. Very scary because it is out of control and horrible looking and so itchy and uncomfortable.

My toe and ankle seem a bit better but because of the freezing temps and winds I did not go outside yesterday. However I did walk 2 miles on the treadmill without too much of a pain issue so that is something. Honestly I am not even sure how I will be able to go out with my face looking like it does. I am not overstating when I say it looks (and feels) horrific. :blackeye:

I am glad your brother called your mom and that she is doing OK. It's a good idea not to talk about topics that will aggravate you. I try to do the same thing with my mom. We have trigger issues that can disintegrate any good conversation so I do my best to avoid those. It's not always easy but it's the best way for us IMO.

Marcy, I love your new plantation shutters. Beautiful! Hope you are pleased and that it was worth the wait. One more day and Marty will be home. I am sure he will be thrilled to be back and hopefully he gets much needed rest. Sounds exhausting all he went through.

I love those gift baskets. Ooh love shortbread and scones. For some reason it is easier to eat "bad" food from those then to buy it myself so where I would never buy a particular junk food if it is in the gift basket well it feels OK. Hahaha, love my logic. Sort of like if you eat standing up the calories don't count. :cheeky:

Stay warm everyone and have a good day.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi girls,

I am so sorry to have disappeared, for the last week I have not even had a chance to check posts because of things being so crazy over here, I only had the time to sleep a few hours a day and nothing left for anything fun like forum time. Now I have to go back and read everything, I promise to do that very soon. I do see that you have been thinking about me Missy, thanks so much, it feels really nice, please tell me how you are but I will probably find out if I read all the posts. I did read about that terrible insurance mess, well the beginning of the saga so I now need to follow up on what happened, I was very upset about it and hope it worked out for you Missy! Hugs to all of you and will write more soon.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, Well the good news is your toe and ankle seem to be feeling better today. Why the heck would your face start to act up again? Do you think it's mainly due to the cold dry weather? Do you have a humidifier in your home? If not, do you think that would help? Can you try only washing you face once a day for a few days? I'm just wondering if washing it frequently could be drying it out more. I know in the winter my husband can't shower everyday or his skin itches terribly even with using lotion. Like I mentioned yesterday, we are having temperatures that we normally have in December. Cold weather really is brutal to skin. Do you think you will call the doctor to see if he has any suggestions? Another thought... Is this just affecting you face? Could the laundry detergent you use on your towels be a problem? The only reason I'm asking is that was one of the doctors concerns when I had the allergic reaction on my face. I'm not any help at all, am I.

Marcy, I love your plantation shutters. They look like the ones I had installed in our home. They are such a nice clean look. I hope your enjoying your time with Marty!

OV, I'm so glad you came back. I hope your doing well. We have been thinking of you.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy!

I hate to hear your face has gotten so much worse. Having intense itching is so miserable to deal with. I hope it starts to get better. I am glad to hear your toe and ankle seem a bit better today. I am glad you had the treadmill to walk on since it was cold and windy outside. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Marty did get home and he is very pleased with the shutters. He inspected them right away and said they were well made too. All I could tell is they looked nice.

Marty is still away but he has been eyeing the clock.

We continued nibbling on the gift basket today. Everything I tried was pretty good. Too funny that calories don’t count if you are standing up.

Hi Ovi!

It sounds like you have been really busy. I hope you catch up on your sleep.

Hi Callie!

I hope it warms up there for you. Did you see some of the pictures of the snow in Buffalo? Holy Snow Drifts.

I think the shutters look crisp and clean like you said. It’s quite a different look. Have you enjoyed having your shutters?

Work seemed to last forever today but mostly because I wanted to get home to see Marty. He and one of the Killer Rabbits greeted me at the door. I brought home tacos that I procured from a window in exchange for some cash. Quick supper!

Marty is catching up on Big Bang episodes. I should start his laundry but there is always tomorrow.

Take care!
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning!

Ovi, we have missed you and I hope life is treating you well despite how busy you are right now and I hope you are finding time for peaceful and restorative sleep. Come back and chat when you have the time. :wavey:

Callie, my face is a mess with a capital M. Really bad. Thanks for the advice. Everything we use is hypoallergenic because of all my skin allergies.

I called the derm's office yesterday and he is away on vacation but the nurse wanted me to come in to see another dermatologist at NYU so I made an appointment for this morning. I am not hopeful as I have been reading about seborrheic dermatitis of the face and it seems there is no clear cut treatment that works for all and that there are people who have been suffering with this for years with an uncomfortable blotchy face. Now it makes more sense why I am getting worse and not better on the treatments I was prescribed.

My skin has always been ultra sensitive (eczema, rosacea) and this is just another hurdle. I am at a loss as to what to do and my gut tells me the new derm today is going to want me to start using the topical steroids as my face is really bad and my derm did give Greg samples for me that I have not yet used for a reason. The huge problem with that is you cannot use it long term and once you stop it comes back with a vengeance. That is why I prefer trying anything else before these steroids as they are not a fix.

I am really upset and as I am typing this my face is so irritated and uncomfortable and I am worried I will scare small children going out to the doctor today lol.

I hope you had a good day yesterday and that all is quiet and peaceful on the family front and I believe on the weather front temps will be moderating a bit today for both of us so at least that's something.

Marcy, YAY! Marty is home! I am glad he is pleased with the new shutters and I hope you guys have much needed time to spend together enjoying the rest of the autumn and the holidays too.

Greg stayed home yesterday to work and we got to go out for an hour walking in the late morning so that was nice albeit freezing. I wore my hood, mittens and face mask though so I was toasty during our walk. I did 3 miles yesterday and though I was in a bit of pain when we got back it was a good walk. Now if only my face would calm down as that is causing me much more distress atm then anything else.

Oh, and my Pilates Reformer was delivered yesterday late afternoon woohoo! Greg didn't have time to open the boxes and check it out and put it together but probably by Friday afternoon as today is a busy day for him and there is a board meeting for him this evening. So I will just have to be patient a couple of more days. And it looks like my ultrasound and TENS/EMS will be delivered tomorrow so there will be a few things we need to figure out how to use. Looking forward to it.

Wish me luck this morning with the new derm. I hope she will prove to be helpful. Fingers crossed.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi girls,

So I am finally here and nice to read about all of you, well, I am not so happy about this insurance mess Missy to say the least and also that you are not feeling well. I really do not think you needed the aggravation of them denying therapy and I simply cannot believe it. How could any doctor suggest that you should be vastly better by now? Also, be so cruel to take away the chance of truly improving from you. Simply incomprehensible. It does not make any sense to me to be frank because if they had said ok you are all improved and cannot go anymore, that I would understand but when you are obviously not well yet they want to take it away and then just what are you supposed to do to improve? In other words if you are sick, they let you stay sick or get worse, awesome, really nice and really smart. It shocks me that they are this dumb and also cruel. PT will most definitely help you but all these pains take a very long time to subside and they will still come back some even a couple years later IMHO. Just what I have experienced with fractures, it does not mean that you will not be better, of course you will but yes it is a slow process and in my case there are times I still need therapeutic massages when it gets worse. My pain could be worsened because of joint problems I have and others may get better much faster but it is such an individual thing and bone fractures are later worsened by soft tissue, joint problems that result from the fracture and not being able to use your leg and foot in a normal way. It is normal to need a lengthened period of PT and I am very glad that you decided to take more sessions on your own even if this is very upsetting but you do need it and I am sure it does help. Massages are a great idea too, I would definitely see about that although not sure if a sport masseuse could do it as well as a PT person like Victor in fact in case of fractures Victor may be the very best and taking as many sessions as you can possibly afford while of course fighting the stupid insurance company. Is there anything you can do to feel better, something for your soul too? I will definitely join you girl to go somewhere warm. No snow here yet but we are expected to get some slush by next week and have nasty weather. I hate it as it is and not looking forward to bad weather at all.

Marcy I am so happy for you that Marty is coming back, in fact he is likely back by now! Yeepee! If you want share some pix of his watches. I used to work in watches at Macy's when I was going to Uni in CA. Watches are cool but I really rarely wear them myself anymore, I do not have the same passion for them that I have for diamonds and jewelry. Still guys can be crazy for watches and they are fun. Hope you guys will get to do something fun and the weekend will be great together after such a long time. Is he staying home for a while now or he has other business trips too this year?

Callie I always really enjoy your posts and love being part of your bag hunt. You are like me, you love bags but cannot really decide on them. I really love bags a lot but like I said I always end up not switching unless for special occassions and even then only occasionally. Thus, I end up with some that rarely ever get used. I am also always drawn to tan or natural hide and have quite a few that are earthy colored and yet I am wearing a lot of black accessories these days so not really a great match, oh well, maybe I need to get more tan shoes and coats to match them too.:))) Then it is a never ending story. I always fall for bags that do not quite match my other stuff though sometimes I guess one can mix and match very tastefully. I am not happy about your problems with family but it can be tough, I get my share too believe me as I have some very difficult family members too. I am glad that you are not allowing people to just take advantage of you.

Welcome Treckie Treckie and thanks for writing, please continue to do so. About me, I have been dead tired the last two days. I meant to go on a trip to my jeweler but ended up staying home, it is a good thing that I postponed trips till next week because I really need time to rest. By the end I did not feel it but it happens that you keep running around and get used to being superbusy, little sleep and then you no longer notice it that your body needs rest and time at home. I am still very much catching up on things at home and I wanted to spend more time with my fur babies too. I had no time to do anything with them either besides feeding them very quickly. I could not write because the showhall had no WIFI and I sometimes went to bed at 2 or later only to have to get up at 6, I was also a bit sick I think, just a mild case of a cold but taking immune supplements. Still on the way to going back to my normal self, this week will be easier with more time spent at home and then next week things will get busier again. I am going to return to PS today, I definitely missed it a lot, really missed talking to you girls and hearing your updates. Please continue writing. Missy, how are you today? Hugs to all of you.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ah, forgot to say of course that you look gorgeous Missy, loved that pic of you. I think your skin looked flawless, we sometimes overworry, we may feel that there is a problem but in fact it may not really show. Your hair looks delish and you have a beautiful face with beautiful features, you do not look like you are more than 30 honestly and it seems to me that you have absolutely no lines or signs or other signs of aging on your skin. I have to say that I was worried that the honey masks will not work, in my opinion trying different things often aggravate the condition. As I was saying before Clinique has worked great for me too, it may not hurt, ok I know it is another thing to try but perhaps you can find something that will eliminate it as much as possible. La Mer is wonderful for me this time, my issues are gone since I started using it and it only took a few days to a week but again it is very expensive, then ok if it does not work, you can always return it. It is your choice but my experience has been that OTC naturals often made my skin worse rather than better. Products with clinical studies may be better. Again not pushing, just hoping you will eventually find a solution that gets rid of the problem or at least greatly improve it. Have a great day!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Missy, I think we wrote at the same time, wishing you lots of luck at the derm, take care and let us know how it goes, ok? I agree about the cortisone, it is a double edge sword but if nothing else helps you may have to resort to it for a short time, although I agree that it is not a good idea on the long run.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning Ovi! I am glad you are back and hope you enjoyed the show despite it being exhausting.

Thank you for the lovely comments on my face and skin but it no longer looks like that. I guess I got the pic right before I took a huge turn for the worse. Thank you too for the info and I am going to look into sports massages at some point. Also thank you for the info re your skin products. I am not ignoring your helpful advice at all. I am just worried to try new products with how irritated my face is. Even my CeraVe and Eucerin are stinging horribly when I apply but my skin is so dry I have to apply some moisturizer. Everything I try hurts my face except for the honey masks but that is not moisturizing. Which La Mer products do you feel are best for moisturizing very dry and very sensitive skin? Perhaps I will order what you recommend and try it.

Right now I don't feel like being in public if I can help it all with the way my face looks and even more importantly feels. Believe me when I say I am not exaggerating. I would not be schlepping into NYU today with the way I am feeling leg and face wise if this was not bad. Greg is coming with me thankfully and then heading to work so I will be making my way back home by myself which also gives me pause since I have to once again deal with the crowded subways and stairs. But I feel I have no choice but to go in and see if this new derm can offer me any help.

I hope you are not experiencing any residual pain from your past fractures Ovi and it upsets me to think you might still be in discomfort and pain from old injuries. I am glad you have the therapeutic massages to bring you relief.

Yes, I wish you and Callie and Marcy and I (and whomever else would like to join us) could get away to a warm escape for a week or 2 or 3 lol. Wouldn't that be lovely. From my reading it seems seb derm gets worse with temperature changes and if one lives in a temperate climate that has no temp swings it becomes a non problem. That's what I need to do. Move someplace where the temp is always sunny and in the 70's F LOL. :sun:

Glad you are back, thanks so much for the good luck wishes with the new doctor today and have a great day.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Missy,

The problem with cortisone is that if you use it long-term, withdrawal effects are terrible, even with topicals as you said it will be much worse after stopping and it is not a good idea to keep going with it. If you have to apply it once or twice ok, maybe for up to three days, that I have had to do with severe allergic reactions even taking it for three days but that was it, more than that is never recommended. It is the same way in all living creatures, my sweetie Stella died after steroids, they were minimum dose and worked awesome but she died after stopping them, problem is your body's defense is really undermined by them and my mom also told me that your own cortisone production is decreased too after taking or using steroids. Not sure I told you that she is a derm too. This is why I was concerned. My mom should have taken them all her life, never has, she would likely be dead if she had.

I almost resorted to cortisone too, beginning this September I was getting horrid reddish/brownish dry patches, this was most likely eczema but they went hand in hand with weird areas of itchy red bumps. Medicated creams only made matters worse, tried antibiotics and also antifungal just in case. Then I bought the La Mer. I have tried it before since I gave it to mom for her sixtieth Bday last year an she let me try it, and it was great but only tried it a few times then. Loved the way it felt and my skin felt after a night with it on, I alsoknew that I would tolerate it; I too have severe allergies. After a few days my skin was already improved, took a couple of weeks for the symptoms to go away almost 100 %, it has not flared up since. I use almost everything La Mer now because I got the discovery set, expensive but was worth it and I did not want to try using it in combo with say a different cleanser. If you get burning/stinging I would recommend it over Clinique because IMHO many Clinique products do that due to the sunscreen in them, that has been my experience, also La Mer moisturizes much better, well, that is to be expected for the price. No stinging for me, it seems soothing. I cannot guarantee that they will work for you but if you can get them and return in case you have a problem, it would be worth a try.

I use the cleansers, the regenerating serum, the moisturizing soft cream and the eye concentrate. If you get just one product get the moisturizing soft cream although if you can also get a set with everything, the serum in my opinion helps with a speedier recovery. I was given many samples and gifts of minis when I bought mine and you only need a little. I do feel that it does transform skin from within, at least that has been my expenrience. I for long did not give in to the hype but hey if it works then I would rather spend more on something that does. We are individuals of course so what works for one may not for another. Let us know about your derm visit please.

Nice to talk to you again!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I hope all goes well with your dermatologist appointment today. Maybe it's a good idea to see someone new. I certainly don't think it will hurt. Sometimes another person looking at your situation with fresh eyes may want to go in another direction that may work. Mit must be hard since so many of the therapies work for different people but not for everyone. If you are really self conscious of the blotchiness I would give Mac Pro Wear concealer a try. That is what my niece has been using and she is thrilled with it. Of course I can't say this too won't irritate your skin. I understand how you feel about it getting you down. As I'm sure you have noticed it would bother me a great deal as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they come up with something that works for you today. Please let me know how your appointment goes today. Fyi.. I have a few friends who swear by the La Mer moisturizer.

How are your ankle and toe feeling today?

Marcy, I'm still waiting for my cookies! I can't believe that darn UPS guy hasn't deliverd them yet!!!! I may have to turn the oven on and bake a batch myself. I loved your description of purchasing your tacos. I NEVER cook so I really got a laugh from your description.
I hope you are enjoying your time with Marty.

Ovi, I haven't returned the purses yet. I pretty much have decided that I really like them so I'm just going to starting using one of them and if I still love it a I will use the different colored ones. I'm just too picky. I really want a higher end bag but at the same time am not in love with any that I have seen. I also don't like how most of them are set up inside. They have very few pockets and I want a bag that I can keep organized well. I haven't bought a Coach bag in 20 years but I fell in love with the borough bag. I also love Macy's retun policy. If I don't love it after using it a month I can always return the ones I haven't used. I also did well on the price so it was a win win. It's funny, I had my mind made up on purchasing the Tory Burch but when I went to purchase it I found the area I would use the most was a pain to get in and out of. It would constantly be banging my ring and that was a drawback for me. I also thought I wanted a suffiano leather bag but since I already have a few of those decided to get a regular leather bag instead. Someone how I ended up with 3 bags. Funny how that happens!

Missy, I would be happy to go someplace warm for 3 days!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again Ovi and Callie. :wavey:

I went to the dermatologist and she was very sweet but it went exactly like I thought it would. She said because my face was so irritated and red I had to use a steroid for several days to get it calmer. I asked for a face moisturizer rec and she wrote an Rx for one that was $195 at the pharmacy. EpiCeram. Well, my pharmacist told me they have those patient savings cards and I guess she forgot to give me one sigh. So I had to call the NYU office and have them fax it to the pharmacy. The pharmacy has to order it anyway as they don't stock that.

Let's see if that all went correctly (if doctor's office actually faxed it and the pharmacist actually processes it right) and that I can get the moisturizer tomorrow. Trying not to get my hopes up. MY face is so so so uncomfortable right now. I applied the steroid but it takes a few days to see results (please please let their be some relief with this at least).

Thanks for all that info re your skin care Ovi and Callie. I will check into it after I give all this stuff from the doctors a chance.

Ovi, I am glad that La Mer is working out so well for you and that your skin issues are much improved. You are convincing me to try it. A moisturizer that doesn't sting my face would be heaven to me right now. Usually I love Eucerin and CeraVe and never had an issue with either one of them my whole adult life and since I developed rosacea so I am at a loss right now as to what to do. It could be my face is so irritated and compromised anything would sting it. I need something that would be healing so I can get past this hump.

Callie, the best way to know if a bag is right for you is to put everything you use in it and see what you think. That's what I do and with such a great return policy you cannot lose. With the good sale and making sure it fits everything easily and looks good and is easy to use you cannot go wrong. Also, I just want to mention the Selma Large Saffiano Leather Satchel is on sale at Michael Kors for 30% off. I just received an email about that so I wanted to mention it just in case the price sways you. When I love a bag I am happy to purchase a few more in different colors. LOL that's what I did with all my boots haha. Here's the link fyi.
http://www.michaelkors.com/selma-large-saffiano-leather-satchel/_/R-US_30T3SLMS7L?No=20&color=0880

My ankle and toe are about the same. I am doing all my exercises and stretching and also walking 2-3 miles a day either outside or on the treadmill but I am limping. However I am walking so there's that!

Yanno, I didn't get Marcy's cookies yet either. What are the chances our postmen are in cahoots with each other? Darn them... We need our cookies! :cheeky:

I cannot believe it is one week practically till Thanksgiving. OMG. I really hope my face is better by then or else my nieces will be scared of the way I look. It's not Halloween anymore. :(sad

Oh and today on the trains at every change of trains (3 different trains each way) someone offered me a seat which I was very pleased about. I turned each offer down but was very very pleased that people were so kind unlike my last trip on the trains. And may I add that they were all very nice looking men doing the offering. I guess with my face the way it is and then seeing the cane there was no way people were going to ignore me this time haha.

I just did my toenails with the Zoya dream color. It's beautiful blue. Love blue. And Greg came home early to start putting the Pilates Reformer together. He read it will take several hours so he doesn't plan on finishing it today as he has a board meeting tonight but at least he's getting started. Though work keeps getting in the way. LOL.

I hope you are both enjoying the day today and doing something fun! Oh and yes let's figure out a nice warm place to go. At least in our imaginations till we actually can go. I always wanted to go to the Canyon Ranch spa in Tuscon Arizona but now I there is one in Lenox Massachusetts as well. That will have to wait till the weather warms up a bit though. :appl:
http://www.canyonranch.com/visit

Ooh I just saw there is one in Miami! That would be good this time of year... 8-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And Greg's finished! Woohoo! So from about start to finish 90 minutes or so. My dh is the best. Here it is... in the room formerly known as our library lol. But we can easily move the reformer (it's on wheels) so this room will now serve a dual function as library and addendum to our exercise room which is adjacent to the library. You can see the recumbent bicycle in the background. Overflow from the actual exercise room lol.

I won't be trying it till tomorrow. Too tired to watch the DVD and Greg won't be around just in case so I am going to wait till tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I think but so far I am very pleased with the way it turned out. We bought it without ever having seen this exact model in person and just went by what I use in PT which is the Balanced Body Studio reformer. This however seems every bit as good. Very excited to have this at home.

pilatesreformer.jpg

balancedbodyallegroreformer.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results