shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO...what college degree will give you...

D

Deactivated member 42515

04diamond<3 said:
Dancing Fire|1363662359|3408324 said:
04diamond<3|1363659018|3408293 said:
YT|1363645191|3408103 said:
**** degree!

Why is everything about sex??? I'm sorry, but that's just gross.
try it you might like it... :wink2:

Very funny. I believe people that constantly have to post about stuff like this do so because they don't get any and this is the most excitement they're going to get. I happen to be married, but my sex life is between me and DH. I get it's a running joke between you two, but I think it's gross. I thought this thread was about serious, or important things. Not about more whore crap.
Hahaha wow, maybe you should get a sense of humor. You're soooo right. I get none from DH. Oh woe is me. I must come on ps and get some excitement going in my loins.

This has nothing to do with DF. If you read my other posts, they are all similar. Because, lo and behold! I have a sense of humor. Not for everyone. But at least I have one.

I am nice to everyone and try very hard not to cause drama. I don't know why you are picking a fight.

D

Deactivated member 42515

If you don't want to see my whore posts anymore. Please go ahead and block me. Thank you.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
YT|1363663756|3408350 said:
If you don't want to see my whore posts anymore. Please go ahead and block me. Thank you.

That's pathetic. I'm not picking a fight I'm just saying it's too much at times. I have a sense of humor, but it's not about SEX all the time! I know you're a nice person, but this isn't a sex forum.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1363644575|3408096 said:
A medical degree is definitely high paying.

It's also incredibly difficult, extremely tiring and involves an almost impossible sacrifice of personal time, family time and social interaction.

It's also very rewarding. There is no doubt about that. I consider myself truly privileged to be able to help people in such an immediate, visceral way.

I'm glad I did it, but AS GOD IS MY WITNESS if I knew what I know now as a 17 year old, I would have run away screaming. I spend a great deal of time counselling young folk about the REALITY of studying medicine and how obtaining a basic medical degree is the EASIEST part of being a doctor.

Life is NOT about money. I've taken a huge pay hit by going on sabbatical. Do I regret it? HELL NO :cheeky:

Will I be a better, more rested, more compassionate doctor when I go back to work (hopefully part time)? HELL YES :sun:

This x 1000. I'm in my last few months of residency and I am SO TIRED OF SEEING PATIENTS. That is bad and I need to fix it, but right now it is what it is.

FWIW, I think engineers do pretty well with college degrees. A friend has a bachelors in engineering, works full time, likes his job and the work he does, and makes a good living.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1363664398|3408359 said:

That's pathetic. I'm not picking a fight I'm just saying it's too much at times. I have a sense of humor, but it's not about SEX all the time! I know you're a nice person, but this isn't a sex forum.

This is why I like this forum. Diamond forum is better escapism for me than a sex forum. Instead of worrying about STDs, I worry about DSS. :twisted:

Back to the topic at hand. If i could turn back time....If my interests were one that necessitated a grad degree, I think I would focus on a bachelors program that has a decent starting salary and market, like IT or accounting, or engineering, and get a job with an employer that does tuition reimbursement. The other option would be to work a year in between undergrad and grad to save money, chip away loans, and get away from school and carefully consider if I really want to go back to school.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1363668078|3408406 said:

This is why I like this forum. Diamond forum is better escapism for me than a sex forum. Instead of worrying about STDs, I worry about DSS. :twisted:

Back to the topic at hand. If i could turn back time....If my interests were one that necessitated a grad degree, I think I would focus on a bachelors program that has a decent starting salary and market, like IT or accounting, or engineering, and get a job with an employer that does tuition reimbursement. The other option would be to work a year in between undergrad and grad to save money, chip away loans, and get away from school and carefully consider if I really want to go back to school.

:lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

what is the difference b/t sex or diamonds?.. :confused: :read: they are both expensive ... :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard from IT friends that the last 5 years has been very hard on them with outsourcing to India and the expectation to work weekends and after-hours whereas it was not necessary in the past. Engineering still pays well and my company just hired a fresh graduate with a starting pay of $65K, relocation costs and all the benefits/perks. I am in a small town where the cost of living is low (compared to NYC) so this is considered a great starting point.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Ooops, then stay away from BWW! They're talking STDs all. the. time.

(I assume you meant Save The Dates? :rodent: )

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss said:
Ooops, then stay away from BWW! They're talking STDs all. the. time.

(I assume you meant Save The Dates? :rodent: )
:lol: :lol: :lol: I made sure to take care of my STD before I got married. Luckily, it was a simple STD, so I didn't need professional help. :naughty:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Down here, right now and for the last 10ish years, the most bang for your buck is/was anything related to mining. Janitors working at mine sites are sitting pretty in the $70kish area, to the best of my knowledge. Truck drivers can add another $10-20k to that figure. You're an electrician working on a mine site? Try $130k/year, minimum. What?...you actually got an engineering degree? How about we start you at $180k?

It will eventually dry up, but not for a long time when it comes to those who have been in the business for a while. The new hiring has slowed for sure - it used to be the mines were taking anyone willing to go there, now you pretty much need a personal reference from someone already employed at the site.

Other than mining people, I don't know what's best. The job market here is pretty good, stable, so there isn't a lot of angst about choosing the right program to ensure a future job placement.

I do know that people should choose programs that appeal to them, and they have a natural talent for. I've looked around quite a few times over the past few weeks at some of the kids in my new program and wondered what the hell they're doing. It's clear they don't understand, nor enjoy, medicine or science. Why do it? :confused:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking of moving back to Australia.....

Maybe I should go to Perth? :cheeky:

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
DH has a degree in mechanical engineering and got a job immediately upon graduating with the company he interned with throughout college. As far as income, I think he makes about the most out of our peers that graduated around the same time, but of course that doesn't take into account those who are still in medical school, dental school, etc. On the other hand, his older brother graduated a year and a half earlier with the same degree from the same school (the only difference is he never did an internship) and it took him nearly 2 years out of school to find a job. It definitely depends on the person, and the job market still isn't too hot, but I think if you find the right position and work hard, engineering has the potential to give a lot of bang for your buck, as it were. Didn't hurt that he made enough money from his internships to pay almost all of his college tuition.

Now if you want to know what degrees give you almost no bang for your buck (and leave you with a pile of loans), I can tell you all about mine :lol: Good thing I'm doing something that makes me happy! Now if only someone would pay me for it...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
jazzoboe|1363704440|3408587 said:
DH has a degree in mechanical engineering and got a job immediately upon graduating with the company he interned with throughout college. As far as income, I think he makes about the most out of our peers that graduated around the same time, but of course that doesn't take into account those who are still in medical school, dental school, etc. On the other hand, his older brother graduated a year and a half earlier with the same degree from the same school (the only difference is he never did an internship) and it took him nearly 2 years out of school to find a job. It definitely depends on the person, and the job market still isn't too hot, but I think if you find the right position and work hard, engineering has the potential to give a lot of bang for your buck, as it were. Didn't hurt that he made enough money from his internships to pay almost all of his college tuition.

Now if you want to know what degrees give you almost no bang for your buck (and leave you with a pile of loans), I can tell you all about mine :lol: Good thing I'm doing something that makes me happy! Now if only someone would pay me for it...

My best friend is in mechanical engineering...she did very well upon graduation! She did a 5 year program to get her BS and masters so in terms of schooling put in compared to starting salary, I think she is doing the best of all my friends at the moment! She did also have internships every summer though so that helped her get a job once she graduated.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

That was a perk that my son got with working at PriceWaterhouseCoopers. They paid him for an internship in the summer while still in college. Then they paid for him to get his post graduate degree. Now they are offering incentives for getting his CPA. That has helped greatly not to add to the college loans.

And to those in the medical field, my daugther's course load is staggering. She studies day and night, weekends, and vacations. But I guess that is preparing her for what is to come.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Internship is a great way to get your foot in the door. You get paid while doing it, get a taste of what you'll be doing after you graduate to decide if this is what you want to be doing everyday for the next 20 to 40 years, gain minor experience in your field of study, networking opportunity, and there is a good chance of being offered a job as soon as you graduate with the company you interned with.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with a previous poster that computer science and engineering degrees are "worth it". SO was making 70K/year as an undergraduate with a promise to bump his pay to 90K/year when he graduated with his masters. He eventually stopped working as an engineer soon after, before attaining his graduate degree, but still, we know if we ever need him to, he can always go back. I don't really understand how they calculate "only" a 20K difference between an undergraduate and a graduate degree, though, when the undergraduate level pay is just so high. I figure, to correlate, a graduate degree would start at at least 100K. :confused: Wow, I really love commas and run-on sentences!

----====----====----====----====----====----====----

04diamond<3 -- There are many things I want to say in regards to your comments:

#1, This is the internet. If you can't handle people annoying you with banter you don't want to read, get off the internet.

#2, Please don't think you're a nice person if you're insinuating that YT is a "whore" for using such language, then make a jab that people who use such language must not be "getting any". :rolleyes: You're a jerk.

#3, The word "whore" in itself is insulting and sets back ALL that human rights, equal rights, and women's rights groups work for. It's a dirty word that carries as much stigma as the F*g and N word. I never flag anything unless it's spam, but god damn do I want to flag your posts. It's derogatory and it defames YT.

#4, I find nothing wrong with the mention of the **** industry. What, you can't handle that **** exists and is a booming industry? YT's comment was legitimate. **** workers are no longer also entitled to their rights as human beings? They work in a multibillion dollar industry. BILLION. And most of it stems from the San Fernando Valley here in CA. You might not need a college degree to do that work, but many of them actually DO have college degrees and aren't just the scum of the earth. I know more than a handful of **** workers (soft and hard), and they are decent human beings. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a few **** workers here on PriceScope. You insinuating that they are a taboo type of people, working a taboo type of job, makes them seem less human.

#5, Just know that if this were a real life conversation, I'd be telling you how I really feel.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I thought YT was just cracking a joke, no harm no foul. DF did ask about the best bang for buck after all....

I like YT, she's sassy! Bizarre tirade from 04diamond. Gah, I'm trying not to stoke fires here....honest...felt like I should say something though....

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Actually I think that pay bump for his graduate degree is pretty good. DH is doing his master's through a program his company does, partnering with a nearby large university, and he doesn't get promised anything! It's pretty much stay on working with them and hope a decent raise/promotion will soon follow or (probably more likely for us) start looking at opportunities with other companies once he has the master's. From what I understand, 100K salaries are not too uncommon for engineers, but it usually takes quite a few years to get there. Of course, we are also in a pretty low cost of living area, so the expectation might be a little higher other places. If anyone is curious, I guess I don't mind sharing that at just over 2 years out of undergrad, DH makes about 70K now. I say about, because I think his actual salary is more like 67, but he gets quite a bit of overtime, so he actually made closer to 75 last year. He should have his master's done in about a year, and I think we'd be happy with anything over 80K at that point, but again it depends, because we are thinking of moving out to the east coast and we'd definitely need a bit more to cover the cost of housing out there!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:lol: This just made my day. I love your whore posts. :appl:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1363715323|3408747 said:
I thought YT was just cracking a joke, no harm no foul. DF did ask about the best bang for buck after all....

I like YT, she's sassy! Bizarre tirade from 04diamond. Gah, I'm trying not to stoke fires here....honest...felt like I should say something though....

YT is just being YT. Sometimes her jokes contain innuendo. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes the innuendo is more innocent, sometimes less so. There are others here who make flirty/sexy jokes, just maybe not as often.

I also felt like I had to say something. It's one thing to call someone out and say, "Okay, enough, I'm sick of your sexy jokes! Stahpit you're being annoying" versus using the "whore" word in a derogatory manner, and throwing out that people who use such language aren't getting any at home and are pathetic.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1363715767|3408756 said:

YT is just being YT. Sometimes her jokes contain innuendo. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes the innuendo is more innocent, sometimes less so. There are others here who make flirty/sexy jokes, just maybe not as often.

I also felt like I had to say something. It's one thing to call someone out and say, "Okay, enough, I'm sick of your sexy jokes! Stahpit you're being annoying" versus using the "whore" word in a derogatory manner, and throwing out that people who use such language aren't getting any at home and are pathetic.

I think 04diamond's "whore" comment was more about the fact that YT was making a joke about having sex for money, to be fair. I still think it was ridiculous, but I didn't get the sense that she was calling YT a whore.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jazzoboe|1363715622|3408753 said:
Actually I think that pay bump for his graduate degree is pretty good. DH is doing his master's through a program his company does, partnering with a nearby large university, and he doesn't get promised anything! It's pretty much stay on working with them and hope a decent raise/promotion will soon follow or (probably more likely for us) start looking at opportunities with other companies once he has the master's. From what I understand, 100K salaries are not too uncommon for engineers, but it usually takes quite a few years to get there. Of course, we are also in a pretty low cost of living area, so the expectation might be a little higher other places. If anyone is curious, I guess I don't mind sharing that at just over 2 years out of undergrad, DH makes about 70K now. I say about, because I think his actual salary is more like 67, but he gets quite a bit of overtime, so he actually made closer to 75 last year. He should have his master's done in about a year, and I think we'd be happy with anything over 80K at that point, but again it depends, because we are thinking of moving out to the east coast and we'd definitely need a bit more to cover the cost of housing out there!

Haha, I'm not complaining about that pay raise bump, I'm just questioning where the # came from! Like, for the undergraduate level degree, the engineers make BUKU BUCKS compared to there types of undergraduate level graduates. Then for a masters degree, their field just levels off with other types of professions? It's weird.

We're in a VERY high cost of living area in Southern California. His BFF lives in the worst cost of living area, in the Silicon Valley, and he gets paid :$$): :$$): :$$): as a new graduate.

As for the promises of raising pay, there could be a reason why that company is not doing so well and SO isn't working there anymore :!: :lol:

But I also also agree with previous, previous posters (like Gypsy) who say happiness is worth more than money. SO was NOT happy. He decided he did not want to do engineering anymore even before graduating with his masters. I, of course, was upset. He wasted so many years and so much $$ going to school. But he's so much more happier now. He was 25 years old and prescribed all sorts of medications for his anxiety, depression, and his heart. 25! ON HEART MEDICATION! He was bored to death half of his time, then stressed out the other half. Half his undergraduate classmate-friends are no longer engineers..

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1363713052|3408719 said:
Internship is a great way to get your foot in the door. You get paid while doing it, get a taste of what you'll be doing after you graduate to decide if this is what you want to be doing everyday for the next 20 to 40 years, gain minor experience in your field of study, networking opportunity, and there is a good chance of being offered a job as soon as you graduate with the company you interned with.

I think this is an anomaly or specific to your field. I did a practicum/internship, and I was definitely NOT paid. My employer now offers internships, as well, and they are unpaid. As far as I know, the trend is toward unpaid internships for even seasoned employees, just to get their foot in the door.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1363715971|3408761 said:

I think 04diamond's "whore" comment was more about the fact that YT was making a joke about having sex for money, to be fair. I still think it was ridiculous, but I didn't get the sense that she was calling YT a whore.

I wasn't calling anyone a whore. It literally is about sex all the time and that's all I was saying. I wasn't bashing the **** industry although I do find it absolutely sick. I've wanted to say something for a long time because I get tired of seeing it since this forum has nothing to do with sex. The internet does NOT have to consist of sex in every corner. I should have said "sex related posts" instead of "whore", but again, I wasn't calling anyone a whore.

I completely understand everyone has a different sense of humor and in some cases it's fine, but just been seeing a lot of it lately and in some cases have felt in inappropriate. That's the only reason I said anything. before a year or two ago I'd never seen so much "sex" on this forum or any at all.

D

Deactivated member 42515

04diamond<3 said:
princesss|1363715971|3408761 said:

I wasn't calling anyone a whore. It literally is about sex all the time and that's all I was saying. I wasn't bashing the **** industry although I do find it absolutely sick. I've wanted to say something for a long time because I get tired of seeing it since this forum has nothing to do with sex. The internet does NOT have to consist of sex in every corner. I should have said "sex related posts" instead of "whore", but again, I wasn't calling anyone a whore.

I completely understand everyone has a different sense of humor and in some cases it's fine, but just been seeing a lot of it lately and in some cases have felt in inappropriate. That's the only reason I said anything. before a year or two ago I'd never seen so much "sex" on this forum or any at all.
Here's a little tidbit that you may not know. Now a lot of people like you on this forum. But I do thank you for LITERALLY reading all of my over 3k posts and confirming that every. single. one of them have been about sex. You have opened my eyes.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I find it funny that your tag line: "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll." came after your posts.

04diamond<3|1363722884|3408870 said:

Maybe you should react differently?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1363722346|3408861 said:
Chrono|1363713052|3408719 said:

I think this is an anomaly or specific to your field. I did a practicum/internship, and I was definitely NOT paid. My employer now offers internships, as well, and they are unpaid. As far as I know, the trend is toward unpaid internships for even seasoned employees, just to get their foot in the door.

Oh, this is news to me. Do you mind sharing what field that is? Mine is in engineering, so obviously, I'm biased. :bigsmile:

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
YT|1363723401|3408876 said:
Here's a little tidbit that you may not know. Now a lot of people like you on this forum. But I do thank you for LITERALLY reading all of my over 3k posts and confirming that every. single. one of them have been about sex. You have opened my eyes.

None of this makes sense. but way to exaggerate. this clearly is pointless.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1363723844|3408889 said:
I find it funny that your tag line: "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll." came after your posts.

04diamond<3|1363722884|3408870 said:

Maybe you should react differently?

You're right, and I will.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results