shape
carat
color
clarity

IYO...what college degree will give you...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarcasm does little good. Let's not go down that path.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1363722884|3408870 said:
I wasn't calling anyone a whore. It literally is about sex all the time and that's all I was saying. I wasn't bashing the **** industry although I do find it absolutely sick. I've wanted to say something for a long time because I get tired of seeing it since this forum has nothing to do with sex. The internet does NOT have to consist of sex in every corner. I should have said "sex related posts" instead of "whore", but again, I wasn't calling anyone a whore.

I completely understand everyone has a different sense of humor and in some cases it's fine, but just been seeing a lot of it lately and in some cases have felt in inappropriate. That's the only reason I said anything. before a year or two ago I'd never seen so much "sex" on this forum or any at all.

You said "all this whore talk". That can be read as either her talking about whores, or her being a whore talking.
That's like me saying all this B* talk is annoying. Yes, I'm not directly calling you anything, but you see where you'd assume I was flat out calling you a B word?

"say something for a long time" "I get tired of seeing it" "sex in every corner"… I have no idea where you've been. I have only seen you post lately, and I have not seen sex talk in every corner. You're seriously tripping.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and by the way, the Hangout is for all topics. Yes, PriceScope overall is a bling forum, but Hangout is a free topic area. People discuss their marriages, their shopping, their life choices, their finances, their makeup, ask for tips, etc. If you want to focus ONLY on diamonds/jewelry, might I suggest you stay within the RockyTalky and ShowMeTheBling areas.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1363724023|3408899 said:
rubybeth|1363722346|3408861 said:
Chrono|1363713052|3408719 said:
Internship is a great way to get your foot in the door. You get paid while doing it, get a taste of what you'll be doing after you graduate to decide if this is what you want to be doing everyday for the next 20 to 40 years, gain minor experience in your field of study, networking opportunity, and there is a good chance of being offered a job as soon as you graduate with the company you interned with.

I think this is an anomaly or specific to your field. I did a practicum/internship, and I was definitely NOT paid. My employer now offers internships, as well, and they are unpaid. As far as I know, the trend is toward unpaid internships for even seasoned employees, just to get their foot in the door.

Oh, this is news to me. Do you mind sharing what field that is? Mine is in engineering, so obviously, I'm biased. :bigsmile:

I started law school part time evening in 2007, right before the economic downturn. I don't know if this is the norm for the legal field, but while I was in school 2007-2011, most of the legal internships seemed to be unpaid or for credit. My classmates who did get paid had moreso legal assistant type jobs. Mind you, I wasn't at a high ranking law school - I don't think they usually have part time evening programs! :-o

I'm currently at a tech company, and our interns are paid, and we feed them lunch every so often, too!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Ladies and gentlemen, please leave the moderating to us. If there are inappropriate topics we will remove them as we always do. Please just report offensive posts.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Internship is a great way to get your foot in the door. You get paid while doing it, get a taste of what you'll be doing after you graduate to decide if this is what you want to be doing everyday for the next 20 to 40 years, gain minor experience in your field of study, networking opportunity, and there is a good chance of being offered a job as soon as you graduate with the company you interned with.

I think this is an anomaly or specific to your field. I did a practicum/internship, and I was definitely NOT paid. My employer now offers internships, as well, and they are unpaid. As far as I know, the trend is toward unpaid internships for even seasoned employees, just to get their foot in the door.

My med sci degree down here used to be a 3 year program. Now it is 4, with the last year comprised of three 11 week placements at a variety of public and private hospitals. Not only are you not being paid for those 33 weeks of work, you're paying the university tuition for that time! The workplace gets a kickback from the uni for having to put up with you, you get to learn how REAL workplaces function after being taught a bunch of antiquated theory. And the school's still cashing in.

That being said, it definitely does help your employment prospects if you "click" during your placement. Or the opposite - I can't count how many students we've had that, upon their exit, my manager said, "Well we'll never see HER again!" :lol:

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
With a 4 year degree/bachelor's degree the best bang for the buck I've witnessed is chemical engineering. I know a few years ago it was statistically the most lucrative 4 year degree one could earn. My DH is almost 5 years out of school and is making about 10% more than I do with my PhD in mechanical engineering and 2.5 years of work experience with his BS in chemical engineering. He works in industry, not for the government or for a lab/research area.

I think for 6 years spent in school pharmacy isn't a bad deal. People can call you doctor and you start at the 6 figure range in retail pharmacy. In 2006(ish) I had friends graduating from pharmacy school with $110k salaries and massive signing bonuses, all working for CVS and the like. Then there were some that started at *only* $75k but did residencies to specialize and work outside of retail pharm. I spent 9 years in school and started a little higher than my friends doing residencies. BUT I have heard from pharmacists who stay in retail pharm that their pay doesn't often increase at the same rate that most people might with their first job out of school. So you start high but the climb is slower? PandaBee raises a lot of interesting points about the future of the pharmacy job market. Perhaps the fairly good-sized handful of people I know who graduated as the job market to support the aging baby boomer generation was reaching it's peak got really lucky.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1363636374|3408000 said:
Life is not about money. It's about happiness. And if you are unhappy at your job/career no matter how much money you make, you aren't going to be happy period.

I think the best bang for buck is listening to your children, not just what they say, but listening to who they really are and observing what makes them happy. Are they creative? Analytical? What are their interests?

And then go from there to help them understand what careers are out there. I was raised on the "doctor, lawyer, engineer" only model. You had to be one of these to be considered 'successful' and honestly its a terrible model. I should have been allowed to go to culinary school, get my PhD and teach, or any of a 100 things in the artistic creative world that would have made me happier. But I wasn't, and so too with many of my peers.

I have found peace NOW. But that's because I have a good boss, and am valued. And my job is one I am good at. But it's not what I am passionate about, or really... interested it.

You have to be dedicated, ambitious, and disciplined usually to be a success at most endeavors. Those are qualities that parents should try to instill in their children if they want success. That plus passion and interest to me means success. It's not a matter of your "major" in college, or your master's degree. Those are tools. What you need is all the other stuff FIRST. The skills, the work ethic and the interest.

Life is about happiness, passion, fulfillment. I'm not saying security and financial stability aren't important. But they are part of the puzzle. Not the puzzle itself. For just about every interest there is a way to make good money doing something.

Very well said, Gypsy! :appl:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where I live, I think a computer science degree is the best undergraduate degree. Seems like jobs in that area are plentiful and pay quite well!

Second would be engineering.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1363735163|3409039 said:

My med sci degree down here used to be a 3 year program. Now it is 4, with the last year comprised of three 11 week placements at a variety of public and private hospitals. Not only are you not being paid for those 33 weeks of work, you're paying the university tuition for that time! The workplace gets a kickback from the uni for having to put up with you, you get to learn how REAL workplaces function after being taught a bunch of antiquated theory. And the school's still cashing in.

That being said, it definitely does help your employment prospects if you "click" during your placement. Or the opposite - I can't count how many students we've had that, upon their exit, my manager said, "Well we'll never see HER again!" :lol:

Chrono, my field is libraries, and I did an internship at a university library--for credit, so I had to pay for it. I work in a public library and our internships are for credit, not pay. But this experience is not unique to just my field. My sister is a speech language pathologist, and each semester of grad school, she had a different placement, which was like a 20 hour/week internship in a different type of clinical setting (hospital, schools, private clinics, etc.) and she also paid for each of those, as well as not being able to work while doing it, because between school and her clinic placement, that's all she had time for. She went to a top 10 school (Pittsburgh). My DH worked on a teaching degree, and student teaching placements also mean paying for the credits, not being able to work, and certainly not being paid for the work done for the school. :lol: My DH will start grad school in the fall for a counseling degree, and his clinical placements will also likely be unpaid. We are hopeful that once he completes the degree and needs additional post-degree clinical hours, that his current employer will move him up and pay him for those hours, but we aren't banking on it--it's 2,000-3,000 hours of observed practice, so even at 40 hours/week, it's still 50-75 weeks theoretically unpaid. :errrr:

I think it's probably only the well-paying industries that offer paid internships, so again, computer science, various types of engineering, and maybe some apprenticeship type things where you actually need to do the work in order to learn how to do it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that it is different for certain programmes because it is a requirement, either because you get credit so it is unpaid and/or that practical experience is a necessity to do your job in that field. Am I interpreting your post correctly? I cannot imagine doctors fresh out of school without any hands on experience. This thread is certainly an eye opener for me that internship in other fields is unpaid and overworked.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
BF's degree is in electrical engineering. He makes good money. My degree is in biology, but I'm not employed in a bio-related field anymore so I guess that doesn't really apply here.

For the record, several of my friends are sex workers and they are smart, engaging women with college degrees and great minds for business. They do very well for themselves and enjoy their profession, regardless of how some people may judge them. People should do what makes them happy and worry less about what makes other people happy.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1363788630|3409505 said:
BF's degree is in electrical engineering. He makes good money. My degree is in biology, but I'm not employed in a bio-related field anymore so I guess that doesn't really apply here.

For the record, several of my friends are sex workers and they are smart, engaging women with college degrees and great minds for business. They do very well for themselves and enjoy their profession, regardless of how some people may judge them. People should do what makes them happy and worry less about what makes other people happy.

That may be the one career where that attitude is not going to make you very successful.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

is that legal?.. :confused:

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Some of it is, some of it isn't. Sex work includes more than just prostitution.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cygnet, thanks for bringing some reality about the field. And for implying that a little more respect is in order ;))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1363663479|3408343 said:
04diamond<3 said:
Dancing Fire|1363662359|3408324 said:
04diamond<3|1363659018|3408293 said:
YT|1363645191|3408103 said:
**** degree!

Why is everything about sex??? I'm sorry, but that's just gross.
try it you might like it... :wink2:

Very funny. I believe people that constantly have to post about stuff like this do so because they don't get any and this is the most excitement they're going to get. I happen to be married, but my sex life is between me and DH. I get it's a running joke between you two, but I think it's gross. I thought this thread was about serious, or important things. Not about more whore crap.
Hahaha wow, maybe you should get a sense of humor. You're soooo right. I get none from DH. Oh woe is me. I must come on ps and get some excitement going in my loins.

This has nothing to do with DF. If you read my other posts, they are all similar. Because, lo and behold! I have a sense of humor. Not for everyone. But at least I have one.

I am nice to everyone and try very hard not to cause drama. I don't know why you are picking a fight.

You crack me up, YT! :lol: :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results