carat
color
clarity

Draco, Apple, North West.... seriously?

audball

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1389040008|3587646 said:
Dee*Jay|1389034049|3587583 said:
When I (briefly) went to junior high in the mountains of Idaho I knew a kid named Stormy Winter. The was a whole family of Winters and all of their names seemed wacky to me (coming from a big city filled with Elizabeths and Richards), but Stormy is the only one I can recall right now. And one of my best friends there was named Eyron (as in Aaron/Erin). In our 9th grade year book the photographer renamed him Byron. Oops.

Totally off topic Dee Jay but on Wipeout the sibling show there were a set of brothers whose last name was Winter. They were Vision and Gentle Winter :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: . They said they had several siblings all of them had horrible names and one of them was Stormy (others were Calm, Loyal, One, Now, Liberty, Courage). And they are from IDAHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was JUST going to say that! We randomly caught that episode in the last few days!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1389040104|3587648 said:
SB621|1389040008|3587646 said:
Dee*Jay|1389034049|3587583 said:
When I (briefly) went to junior high in the mountains of Idaho I knew a kid named Stormy Winter. The was a whole family of Winters and all of their names seemed wacky to me (coming from a big city filled with Elizabeths and Richards), but Stormy is the only one I can recall right now. And one of my best friends there was named Eyron (as in Aaron/Erin). In our 9th grade year book the photographer renamed him Byron. Oops.

Totally off topic Dee Jay but on Wipeout the sibling show there were a set of brothers whose last name was Winter. They were Vision and Gentle Winter :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: . They said they had several siblings all of them had horrible names and one of them was Stormy (others were Calm, Loyal, One, Now, Liberty, Courage). And they are from IDAHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was JUST going to say that! We randomly caught that episode in the last few days!

Oh my... I wonder if it really is them...

Stormy would be somewhere around 45 years old now, give or take (I can't remember if he was a couple of years old or younger than me). This place in Idaho was called Garden Valley (and believe me, it sounds much nicer than it really is!!!), but certainly they could have moved from there.

Honestly though, I haven't even laid eyes on any of the Winters in 30+ years so even if I saw pictures I may not be able to identify them.

audball

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1389041393|3587661 said:
Oh my... I wonder if it really is them...

Stormy would be somewhere around 45 years old now, give or take (I can't remember if he was a couple of years old or younger than me). This place in Idaho was called Garden Valley (and believe me, it sounds much nicer than it really is!!!), but certainly they could have moved from there.

Honestly though, I haven't even laid eyes on any of the Winters in 30+ years so even if I saw pictures I may not be able to identify them.
Googling Gentle and Vision Winter siblings I got this article about them published in the Chicago Tribune. They're talked about in the bottom few paragraphs.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...s-in-lake-county-parents-of-special-education

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
Alot of people I know don't even share baby names now so that no one "steals" it. DH's cousin wasn't going to share their boy baby name at first. When we cajoled it out of them, my husband said "Really? Tanner? Nice name, but do you realize you are about to name your kid Tanner Hyde? As in tan-her-hide? Naw...the kids on the playground won't make fun of them for that." They named the kid something else.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...

We named our daughter Aralia, combining the last three letters of Barbara (my mother) and Julia (my husband's mother). We didn't like Barbara Julia or Julia Barbara as first and middle names, so we combined them. It's pronounced phonetically, although some people say "Ah-RAY-lia" and some people say "Ah-rail-yah" but whatever. We figured since Aurelia is a more old-fashioned name and since there is an aralia plant, it wouldn't be so "out there". So, there is a lot of meaning behind her name, it wasn't spelled weird for the sake of being spelled weird.

The other option considered was Aria, but we didn't name her that because of the Las Vegas hotel named Aria.

If she hates Aralia, she can go by her middle name, which is a pretty common girl's first name.

North West is a stupid name. I'm glad they didn't decide to just go with North though - as in, just one name, like Madonna or Cher.

Yes, I watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians. :bigsmile:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
audball|1389040022|3587647 said:
MC|1389039688|3587637 said:
audball|1389033418|3587573 said:
MC|1389032040|3587547 said:
Who's child is named North West?
Kim Kardashian and Kanye West gave their daughter the first name North with dad's last name West. She is literally North West.
Ugh, that is horrible. I don't keep up with the Kardashians (is that show still on?) so I haven't been paying attention. I envisioned the Pacific Northwest when I read that name. They could have named her Pine Tree and the same images of Washington would pop up.
Yeah, I can proudly say that I have NEVER watched an episode of the Kardashians. But people are so obsessed with them I can't log on to Facebook or any kind of news without seeing something about them occasionally.

Yep, stuff about the Kardashians pops up for all of us :errrr: . Most of the time I end up reading the headlines while my groceries are being rung up at the grocery store, so probably everything I see is made up for those gossip mags. lol :)) As far as I knew, they were divorced, already...or are they just getting married...or, is that one of the other ones?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1389042283|3587677 said:
Hmmm...

We named our daughter Aralia, combining the last three letters of Barbara (my mother) and Julia (my husband's mother). We didn't like Barbara Julia or Julia Barbara as first and middle names, so we combined them. It's pronounced phonetically, although some people say "Ah-RAY-lia" and some people say "Ah-rail-yah" but whatever. We figured since Aurelia is a more old-fashioned name and since there is an aralia plant, it wouldn't be so "out there". So, there is a lot of meaning behind her name, it wasn't spelled weird for the sake of being spelled weird.

The other option considered was Aria, but we didn't name her that because of the Las Vegas hotel named Aria.

If she hates Aralia, she can go by her middle name, which is a pretty common girl's first name.

North West is a stupid name. I'm glad they didn't decide to just go with North though - as in, just one name, like Madonna or Cher.

Yes, I watch Keeping Up With The Kardashians. :bigsmile:

Had my DS been a girl her name would have been Marley. I have a grandmother named Mary and another Marlene. I didn't like either for a daughter but really liked the name Marley, a combination of both and honoring each. I've always felt strongly that my children have family names. When we had our son we gave him his fathers moms maiden name.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ponder|1389016985|3587369 said:
Trekkie|1389015348|3587353 said:
Meezermom|1389014707|3587346 said:
Sometimes I suspect that these are not the true names of these children, but fake ones for the sake of their privacy.

Oh, I hope so. I really, really hope so.

I doubt it. It's a strong trend that I see everywhere. At my daughter's preschool there is a Bear, siblings named River and Valley, and a little girl named Jemima (as in the syrup). Beyond the odd names, the insanely odd spellings drive me even more nuts. As I pass by their labeled cubbies I frequently stop and have to phonetically sound out some names in my head because the spelling is so odd. I feel for these kids. I have a couple friends with slightly odd spellings of regular names and they always lament about having to spell their names for people because it's not the most common spelling.

D'oh - this is me, sorta. My son goes by Bear, which is short for Oberon (family name). As for the reason THAT won and not something else? Blame my husband. He vetoed all Biblical names off the bat (combat atheist), which made things tough from the get-go, and beyond that ... he's really outgoing. He had some association with every single name I suggested - he'd known a guy named Oliver in college and didn't like him, one of his best friends was named Thomas, etc., etc., etc. Every. Single. Name. I. Suggested.

I consider it a victory that I talked him out of Loki.

No, seriously.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Meh...people have always had "odd" names and the previous generation always says "Those crazy kids! What are they thinking!"

Inner Kitten is right, the Puritans were naming their daughters Thankful and Silence. I have a great-something uncle from the Civil War era named Thomas Jefferson, said all together like Thomasjefferson Lastname.

The world is getting smaller and people are inspired by things from a much wider scope than ever before in human history; names are going to reflect this. Even the top 10 most popular names are are popular by far fewer amounts and babies sharing those names number in the thousands, not the tens of thousands like they have in the past.

I find it to be liberating, personally. Do you think the name is beautiful? Does it mean something to you? Then use it! Sure, Rainbow Aurora is very much not my style, but it's somebody's style and they shouldn't be held to my tastes. And I do strongly disagree with using your children to further your own publicity, but KK could have named her daughter Mary Elizabeth and it wouldn't have changed the fact that she will grow up on the pages of trashy gossip magazines because Mom let her wear high heels or gave her two year old fake eyelashes.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I encountered an "Azalea" at Starbucks the other day. Hopefully she likes the name, I thought it was great!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AMC80: I am with you.. my son is Michael, not Mykal, not Micheal (this is the stupidest yet).. not Mikeal, not Mikal (although that can be Russian?).. I worked with youth for years and you wouldn't believe what parents do.. Jonathon, Jonython, Aaeren, Ahren, Ehren, Erhean (yes, I saw ALL these as a registrar).. .. it's sad. I suppose people find it 'unique' I think it shows the parents wanted something that would make their kids 'special' when in reality kids like to be normal. it's the parents who think THEY must be unique.. look at North West.. while I can understand WHY they wanted to name her North.. (the farthest so their kid thinks she above blah blah so be it).. but what about Kaskazini, which is north in Swahili (not they I am saying either is from Africa per se) it's certainly better than the torment she will get NO MATTER what poshy school she goes to.. at least Kaskazini could be kassie or zini! or Kazi.. etc.. North West is pathetic and is a new low IMHO on celebrity ego.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Names are a big sore spot for me...I really dislike when parents give their kids kre8tive names/spellings. It might be cool to them, but the kid has no say and has to live with it forever. And people definitely judge others and make assumptions about names whether they admit it or not. A man named 'Maverick' is going to be perceived differently than a guy named 'Bill.' It was really important to me that my kids have very traditional names.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
aviastar|1389045654|3587711 said:
Meh...people have always had "odd" names and the previous generation always says "Those crazy kids! What are they thinking!"

Inner Kitten is right, the Puritans were naming their daughters Thankful and Silence. I have a great-something uncle from the Civil War era named Thomas Jefferson, said all together like Thomasjefferson Lastname.

The world is getting smaller and people are inspired by things from a much wider scope than ever before in human history; names are going to reflect this. Even the top 10 most popular names are are popular by far fewer amounts and babies sharing those names number in the thousands, not the tens of thousands like they have in the past.

I find it to be liberating, personally. Do you think the name is beautiful? Does it mean something to you? Then use it! Sure, Rainbow Aurora is very much not my style, but it's somebody's style and they shouldn't be held to my tastes. And I do strongly disagree with using your children to further your own publicity, but KK could have named her daughter Mary Elizabeth and it wouldn't have changed the fact that she will grow up on the pages of trashy gossip magazines because Mom let her wear high heels or gave her two year old fake eyelashes.
Word. To all of it. I read a report that Kim says that little North already has her own fashion sense. Riiiiiiight.

Like, Prudence. And Chastity.

Also, to clarify the current Kardashian relationship status questions :-o :

Khloe is getting divorced from Lamar. Kim and Kanye just got engaged. Kourtney and Scott aren't doing anything, but Scott's father just passed away. Also Kris and Bruce Jenner are getting divorced.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elisateach said:
amc80 said:
I hate creative spellings. A creative spelling of a name doesn't make it unique, it makes it look like the parent doesn't know how to spell. I have a friend who is pregnant and wants to use Micah for a girl, but spell it Mykka.

As a teacher I have seen my share. Serious...Amonia and Barbku ( pronounced.... Bar-b-que!!
We cring when the class lists come out!

What irks me the most, is these parents who rearrange the spelling Addysin get pissy when we make a mistake and spell it wrong or pronounce it Addison very quickly remind us it is Addy sin!!!

Or the child who corrects the teacher .. It's Kali with an al not KAli with an A
when the girl with same spelling is sitting right next to her and spells it KAli!

O...M...G... I just ROARED upon reading this. :lol: :lol: :D Hope I didn't scare my neighbors!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1389045262|3587707 said:
ponder|1389016985|3587369 said:
Trekkie|1389015348|3587353 said:
Meezermom|1389014707|3587346 said:
Sometimes I suspect that these are not the true names of these children, but fake ones for the sake of their privacy.

Oh, I hope so. I really, really hope so.

I doubt it. It's a strong trend that I see everywhere. At my daughter's preschool there is a Bear, siblings named River and Valley, and a little girl named Jemima (as in the syrup). Beyond the odd names, the insanely odd spellings drive me even more nuts. As I pass by their labeled cubbies I frequently stop and have to phonetically sound out some names in my head because the spelling is so odd. I feel for these kids. I have a couple friends with slightly odd spellings of regular names and they always lament about having to spell their names for people because it's not the most common spelling.

D'oh - this is me, sorta. My son goes by Bear, which is short for Oberon (family name). As for the reason THAT won and not something else? Blame my husband. He vetoed all Biblical names off the bat (combat atheist), which made things tough from the get-go, and beyond that ... he's really outgoing. He had some association with every single name I suggested - he'd known a guy named Oliver in college and didn't like him, one of his best friends was named Thomas, etc., etc., etc. Every. Single. Name. I. Suggested.

I consider it a victory that I talked him out of Loki.

No, seriously.

Ditto. DS is Barrett and goes by Bear half the time.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Laughing about Maverick - there's one in my son's preschool class. It's also the name of my former employer and the sports team in town, so it's especially weird to me.

I was ordering shirts for my kids today and the person on the list before me was ordering one for her son Linkoln. I cringed a little. Okay, really, I cringed a lot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ponder|1389042075|3587671 said:
Alot of people I know don't even share baby names now so that no one "steals" it. DH's cousin wasn't going to share their boy baby name at first. When we cajoled it out of them, my husband said "Really? Tanner? Nice name, but do you realize you are about to name your kid Tanner Hyde? As in tan-her-hide? Naw...the kids on the playground won't make fun of them for that." They named the kid something else.

This had me LMAO.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1389050232|3587752 said:

Word. To all of it. I read a report that Kim says that little North already has her own fashion sense. Riiiiiiight.

Like, Prudence. And Chastity.

Also, to clarify the current Kardashian relationship status questions :-o :

Khloe is getting divorced from Lamar. Kim and Kanye just got engaged. Kourtney and Scott aren't doing anything, but Scott's father just passed away. Also Kris and Bruce Jenner are getting divorced.

Who? What? Where? My head is spinning. I did read that Bruce has had too much plastic surgery and/or he's turning into a woman (according to a headline I saw at the grocery store a couple weeks ago)! lol His name is easier to keep track of than four different women with names that start with the letter K. Talk about konfusing.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Student of my daughter last year: La-a

(Seriously, Ladasha, duh!)

I like jemima.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1389047194|3587720 said:
I encountered an "Azalea" at Starbucks the other day. Hopefully she likes the name, I thought it was great!

I think flower names are pretty and they are classic. I like Azalea

Rose, Lily, Marigold, Fleur, Daisy, Iris, Jasmine, Violet.... all lovely. RECOGNIZABLE as names. FOR PEOPLE.

Flora, Ivy, Poppy, even Primrose. Dahlia, Zinnia. Marguerite (I named the pendant I got from BGD Marguerite for a reason)

I'd HAPPILY name my girl any of those (okay, not Primrose, but still).

Apple, Orange, Fig, Pear... not so much.
South, West, North, East... not so much.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a girl at my son's school who has the first name Winter, I went to school with a boy who had the first name Summer and no his parents were not hippies.

My son also had a kid in the same class who has the name Blayze and yes he was an out of control monster so it was rather apt. I remember seeing the class list the first day last year which was the first day my son started school and I said to my husband I bet that kid will be a little sh*# and he was.

I used to be a school teacher so I have seen a lot of absurd spellings of common names and really dumb arse names like the BBQ one and there are a heap of others, Hives comes to mind - yes I knew of a kid called Hives, Calamity, Effoir (pronounced Eff-wha and later called Effy for short)... are some of the standout ones, but if I sit down and think about it I am sure I will remember a few more...

Jemima is an old & old-fashioned English name that has become popular again with all the old names, like Jemima Puddleduck from The Beatrix Potter characters. Matilda and Talulah spelled 300 different ways are popular girl names in Australia at the moment.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I went to school with a Holiday Lights (lights was spelled differently) and a Dayanna Night.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
People tend not to give their child a name that belongs to an older person they know, but tend to give their child the name of a dead older relative. Hence names like Jemina are cycling back in.

The irony is that all these parents like it because they don't know any other Jeminas but by the time the little kid gets to kindergarten they'll be a slew of 'em.

Draco is obviously Harry Potter, but there have been similar burps throughout history. Know any Kunte Kintes?

Even the offbeat names tend to be fads. Freke mentioned Prudence and Chasity, to which we can add Faith, Hope, Charity, Temperance, and Patience. Currently we seem to be looking at mundane things out of place: North, Apple, Blanket, Lyric, River, Moon, Bear. Although some of these sound strange, compare Pearl, Rose, Ruby, Hunter. And remember almost all traditional names have a meaning in some other language: John = Good is Good. Deborah = Bee. Karl = A man. Imagine what you'd think of a neighbor whose kid was running around named Bee.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

I find it to be liberating, personally. Do you think the name is beautiful? Does it mean something to you? Then use it! Sure, Rainbow Aurora is very much not my style, but it's somebody's style and they shouldn't be held to my tastes. And I do strongly disagree with using your children to further your own publicity, but KK could have named her daughter Mary Elizabeth and it wouldn't have changed the fact that she will grow up on the pages of trashy gossip magazines because Mom let her wear high heels or gave her two year old

fake eyelashes.
Yup. My 10x great grandmother was called Experience.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
innerkitten|1389113345|3588242 said:

I find it to be liberating, personally. Do you think the name is beautiful? Does it mean something to you? Then use it! Sure, Rainbow Aurora is very much not my style, but it's somebody's style and they shouldn't be held to my tastes. And I do strongly disagree with using your children to further your own publicity, but KK could have named her daughter Mary Elizabeth and it wouldn't have changed the fact that she will grow up on the pages of trashy gossip magazines because Mom let her wear high heels or gave her two year old

fake eyelashes.
Yup. My 10x great grandmother was called Experience.

Names are one of the major reasons I got into looking at my family trees, so cool!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1389077148|3588035 said:
Elliot86|1389047194|3587720 said:

I think flower names are pretty and they are classic. I like Azalea

Rose, Lily, Marigold, Fleur, Daisy, Iris, Jasmine, Violet.... all lovely. RECOGNIZABLE as names. FOR PEOPLE.

Flora, Ivy, Poppy, even Primrose. Dahlia, Zinnia. Marguerite (I named the pendant I got from BGD Marguerite for a reason)

I'd HAPPILY name my girl any of those (okay, not Primrose, but still).

Apple, Orange, Fig, Pear... not so much.
South, West, North, East... not so much.

I like flower names too. Violet is one of my all time favorite girl names.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
audball|1389033418|3587573 said:
MC|1389032040|3587547 said:
Who's child is named North West?
Kim Kardashian and Kanye West gave their daughter the first name North with dad's last name West. She is literally North West.
The joke is that they named her North West because she knows what's up. And to the left.

I went to elementary school in the Bay Area too. I had a friend named Starr and her brother's name was Comet. Also, I knew a girl whose name was C*innamon. There is an asterisk in her name above the "i".

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1389028888|3587502 said:
Creepy but true...there was a girl in my school whose parents had the cringe worthy need to name her Pussy Willow. I assume her parents set aside the giggle smoke long enough to realize what a horrible mistake they had made and later shortened it to just Willow....although it was more likely by demand of the public school system. I would totally question my parents love for me if they had named me something so horrible!

Pussy Willow is a plant, isn't it? Maybe they just really loved the plant!!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I know someone called Tiffany Prettyy. She's in the Air Force. And I grew up with a Rodin (first name) in my class all through school 11-18, so it seemed like a normal boy's name to me until I learned a little about art!

Re. Jemima, it's a "proper" name, so to speak. Jemima Puddleduck is a famous Beatrix Potter character, and I worked with a Jemima. Imran Khan was married to Jemima Goldsmith. I think it's an old-fashioned name.

My friend had an aunt called Venetia Milke!

In France, I believe you're not allowed to call your child something outlandish.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I met a family of teenage mutant ninja turtles. Seriously. The kids were Michaelangelo, Raphael and Leonardo. They only had 3 kids, but if I were to guess, the fourth would be Donatella.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results