shape
carat
color
clarity

Draco, Apple, North West.... seriously?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I have a friend who keeps a list of the most unique names he has ever run across. I will never forget one family who named all of their kids after oceans.

Pacifica
Atlantica
Mediterraneia
Indiana
Carribeia

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten|1389195871|3588843 said:
Chrono|1389194658|3588826 said:
I was classmates with a girl named Jade, whose sister is Pearl.

I think that's very pretty.

I don't think that's weird at all.

I think Pearl, Ruby, Jade, Opal, ... all very lovely names.

One of my cousin's is named Ta*lah, which is Farsi for gold, and her brother is Forr*est (* added so no one can google-find this).

I like uncommon names with nice meanings. If I have a daughter I would name her Leora. Italian for Shining Star. And if there was ANY problem, I'd want someone to tell me.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother named me "flower name," after her mother's favorite flower. My brother married a girl with that same name. When he and my sister in law got pregnant, I was asked to suggest names, and I said "why not name the baby "same name" as her mother and me. I was joking, but my brother and SIL loved the concept, so now we have 3 "same names" in our family. (It's a flower name, nothing super extraordinary.)

Name your kid whatever you want. Spell it however you want. It makes absolutely no difference to me because it has zero effect on my life. :bigsmile:

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
A labor and delivery nurse once told me her hospital had delivered a baby boy whose mother named him: Shit*head [sha-thay-ed]. (*mine)

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a lot of urban legend names on this thread :lol:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1389323477|3590005 said:
I love seeing all the names that come through my workplace. It seems that some of the Aboriginal tribes up north allow their children to name themselves when they get to a certain age AND they also, as a means of respect, do not recycle names of those who have died for a certain period of time (a long time - years). This is what I've been told leads to the very...unique names we get.

First: msop mentions it, but we've had a real 'Gonorrhoea,' not even misspelled.

Second: a few different Candidas. Yes, more than one set of parents thought this word sounded 'pretty.'

Third: First name Coca, surname Cola.

Fourth: Elvis Elvis. Why ruin perfection with a different last name?

Fifth: one of the doctors, I'm going to change this one the tiniest bit so there's no chance it shows up in a search but I promise I'm upholding the integrity of the name - a gynaecologist by the name of Pusha Handeep. :o

And my favorite, the one burned so deep in my brain that I actually have a hard time remembering any of the new zingers I come across because they all inevitably pale in comparison: Chicken Tango :lol:

HA! We have a ob/gyn in our area with a similar, uh...unique but strangely apropos name. I've met him, so definitely not an urban legend name...Dr. B*eaver. First Name and Middle Initial? Harry C. He ended up being a ME for the area and his cards say The Alpha and Omega Doctor. He has a great sense of humor about it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1389364880|3590267 said:
A labor and delivery nurse once told me her hospital had delivered a baby boy whose mother named him: Shit*head [sha-thay-ed]. (*mine)

This one is for real! My dad is a retired HS teacher... he would give the ACT to the two schools in our county. About every 3 or 4 years, he'd have a Shithead (pronounced shih-THED). Who would do that to their child??!! :confused: :nono: LOL :lol:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
msop04|1389378387|3590423 said:
purplesparklies|1389364880|3590267 said:

This one is for real! My dad is a retired HS teacher... he would give the ACT to the two schools in our county. About every 3 or 4 years, he'd have a Shithead (pronounced shih-THED). Who would do that to their child??!! :confused: :nono: LOL :lol:

It's a legit name in another language and culture. Unfortunate in this country, but probably similar to Nori and Suri that were mentioned up-thread. Some brand new young military couple gets stationed in Japan and names their child Suri, or Pickpocket, by the locals' reckoning. Possibly you could argue cultural ignorance of the parents, but probably not active malicious intent, in either situation.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
No urban legend here!!!

imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1389561286.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
"Airwrecka" = Erica, I assume?

OMG, that is awful. A perfect example of people taking an average name, giving it a bizarre spelling, and making it completely absurd.

This is definitely a pet peeve of mine. My parents spelled my name "Kathryn" and I've spent my entire life spelling it for people. And that's not even that bad - there are far worse names/spelling variations out there. My brother is named Shannon and he has spent his entire life telling people that he's not a girl.

My response was to go the opposite direction - I named my boys Jake and Charlie. I always knew that if/when I had kids, they would get the gift of not being saddled with a name that they would be annoyed to go through life with. I would rather my kids have a solid, well known name than be made fun of every day :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results