shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have an issue with gift cards???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Prana

Brilliant_Rock
I sometimes get annoyed with giftcards, almost like it is work that I now have to put in to buying something. On the other hand, as someone else has mentioned, I find them fun because I have to buy something that I maybe would not have necessarily purchased for myself. Whenever I get a giftcard I usually go straight to the website of the place it''s to and spend it online.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I love gift cards, though I''m notoriously bad at spending them unless there''s something I REALLY want. I spend them eventually, it just takes time.

If I''m giving one in a low dollar amount (to someone I don''t know well, or for a Santa Swap game), I go with Target or iTunes. $15 may not buy much at Williams-Sonoma, but it can buy a whole album from iTunes!
10.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t mind them. I mostly get gift cards from my DH''s family. They aren''t going to give me cash, we try to keep clutter to a minimum, and it allows me to pick out something I could actually use avoiding the saying that I love something I don''t.

I''d hate it if it was to a store that I didn''t ever shop at though. I''ve seen people sell gift cards on ebay. Or if it''s more hassle than it''s worth, maybe give it to a friend who would shop there. Not as a re-gift, like a bad and unused gift swap.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t like to give gift cards, although we do give them to two of DH''s young cousins because their mother tells us that is all they want.
20.gif
(That''s going to end soon, because they have stopped thanking us in person when we give them gifts, and they''ve never sent a thank you note.)

I''ve actually started to enjoy receiving gift cards. DH and I both get a lot of gift cards from work, and it''s been fun to try new restaurants and stores because of them.

The only gift cards I dislike are those Visa gift cards. They''re really difficult to use, and I don''t understand why they''re any different than giving money.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 10:32:08 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Italia, they have clothes and shoes in their catalogue. Also have lotion and make-up. If you can''t use it and can''t regift it maybe you can buy some clothes to donate.

I have mulled the website over, and over again...nothing. And yes, it would be LOVELY to buy some clothes and donate them...but the amount on the card wouldn''t even buy a tee shirt. Seriously. Hence my issue with sending a gift card that wouldn''t cover ANYTHING in store.

I think it''s great they thought of me...but I thought of them, too. It''s not like this was something that wasn''t reciprocated. I am now stuck trying to either A. Find something that falls in the price range...or B. Essentially buying my own gift. Either way, it''s almost unthoughtful.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 11:37:58 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Date: 12/27/2009 10:32:08 AM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Italia, they have clothes and shoes in their catalogue. Also have lotion and make-up. If you can''t use it and can''t regift it maybe you can buy some clothes to donate.

I have mulled the website over, and over again...nothing. And yes, it would be LOVELY to buy some clothes and donate them...but the amount on the card wouldn''t even buy a tee shirt. Seriously. Hence my issue with sending a gift card that wouldn''t cover ANYTHING in store.

I think it''s great they thought of me...but I thought of them, too. It''s not like this was something that wasn''t reciprocated. I am now stuck trying to either A. Find something that falls in the price range...or B. Essentially buying my own gift. Either way, it''s almost unthoughtful.

What about getting some soap, lotion, shampoo, etc to donate? Or I think people buy GCs on ebay. Obviously it would be for a lower amount but might be worth it if you really have no need for it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vintage, yes most of the gift cards we got are to places we like and can use them at.
1.gif

I should clarify that the only reason I hate gift cards is because I'm always worried about keeping track of them and using them before I either lose them or they expire. Or lots of times I'll be at the store, and I forgot to bring the gift card and it's sitting at home, lol. Doh!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila, keep them in your wallet.
1.gif

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 10:10:20 AM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Thanks for responding...
I doubt charity could do much with a VS gift card...but I''ve actually mulled around the idea of using it for her Christmas gift next year...actually buying her something from there.
Oh yes you can
emotion-15.gif
Most stablished charities have 1-2 people dealing with ''special'' founds [501c3] I know my church does, most if not all merchants will take 3% of card''s value and send $ to them, you''ll get notified. Or I''d try Giftcardonor.com when we lived in wine country [5 years ago] we didn''t have Walmart, McD''s, See''s, Dillard''s, BBB so cards went to March of Dimes through them .02
41.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After one particular experience I stopped giving gift certificates. This was back in the 80s when they were still called that -- before the plastic gift card was invented. A friend of mine loved this boutique clothing store but could rarely afford anything in there as she was a college student. When she graduated from college I presented her with a $100 gift certificate to the store. She was waiting until she got her first "real" job to use it, to get something to wear to work. The place went out of business that summer before she had a chance to use it. Since then, I''ve thrown out Circuit City, LNT and bookstore gift cards that I got for presents because I didn''t have a chance to use them during their liquidation sales. Just this week I found a Hollywood Video card in a drawer. Too bad our local one closed a year ago and the nearest one is in another state.

I don''t see the difference between giving a gift card and giving money. I don''t understand how one is "appropriate" and the other crass -- to me they are almost the same thing except the gift card says "I''m giving you money AND telling you where to spend it." After the boutique store incident any time I''ve wanted to gift someone with something from a particular vendor but I don''t want to actually buy it -- maybe I don''t know their size or what color they''d prefer or maybe for a restaurant I think they would enjoy -- I just write a check instead. On the card I''ll write something about how I think they might enjoy spending the gift. If it turns out they don''t use it for that new outfit or for a night out at their favorite restaurant because some emergency came up and the money ended up going toward a new washing machine -- oh well. They still appreciate it!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Victoria's Secret? I figured it was some place like Tiffany. VS has sales on underwear all the time- something like 5 for $25. Their semi-annual sale is going on right now.

I like the idea of donating it (or its products) to charity, too, if you can't find any use for it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
for giving gift cards...i try not to give really small amts unless it''s $10 or $15 at starbucks or itunes or something, where you can actually get 3-4 trips/visits out of it. i am a big fan of things like giving book gift cards to people who i know love to read, or amazon gift cards to people who i know shop online for all types of things. also my mom loves spa gift certs and so i usually get her those for a gift, she''d prefer it actually over a gift gift.

but for people i don''t really know, i try not to ''assume'' what they would like to buy so i wouldn''t give them a gift card, i have ''small gifts'' that i keep on hand for this purpose, i get them at red envelope or pottery barn during after xmas sales when everything is super cheap and it''s things like little silver picture frame magnets or something like that which almost everyone can ''use''. and a card. i always try to have 3-4 of these on hand at any given pt and time and they do come in handy, esp this year when i did NO shopping for anyone really but suddenly realized i had nothing for our dog walker..she loved the little frames.

as for getting gift cards, recently due to my preggo state, we have been getting a lot of them. target, pb kids, amazon, diapers.com. i love all of them, i don''t care if it''s for $5 or $50. because there is no way those can''t come in handy at some point with the upcoming ongoing diaper and wipe purchases! but when people give us random gift cards like pier1 (we have one from 2 years ago still) or other stores we hardly shop at, it makes it hard to (a) remember you have it and (b) use it!!

and i dislike visa gift cards because of the fact that at most stores you can only buy something up to that value amt and not over a lot of times. i have 5 or 6 of them with $2.50 left on them that i will just never use. like most other people i would rather get nothing than something i can''t use wisely.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
I usually like gift cards but I always feel like I am going to forget to use them so I usually run out and use it right away.

Starbuck''s is my fave place to get a gift card and Target since I shop there at least once a week. If I buy them for someone I usually get them to a place I know they love to shop and I usually won''t get less than $50 unless it''s for Sbux. Sorry you got the short end of the stick Italia. They have some laundry soap for undergarments at VS that I think is around $10, that might be something useful to purchase.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't mind gift cards, at all, as long as the person is thoughtful about where the card is to and of course making sure it's a decent amount (enough to purchase stuff in that store). Normally, my kids get a few gift cards and this year one relative was especially generous and gave them $100 to spend! None of us have recieved weird ones like $50 to a Coach store.

FWIW, I've sold gift cards on eBay before because I wasn't going to use them.

ETA - I read yours is to VS. Why not pick up some undies or a pair of PJ bottoms? Their catalogue clothes aren't all that great, but the store has lots of fun basics. A VS card is an odd one to complain about. lol! I'd be more upset if it was to Radio Shack.
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
In the "thankful that someone thought of me camp." If it''s not something I can use I will pass it along, donate it, buy something I can pass along with it. I don''t tend to give them as gifts, but have no issue with receiving them, no matter the amount.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 12:12:24 AM
Author: Laila619
Yes, hate ''em! DH and I got 17 of them for Christmas.
23.gif
Wow, 17! You guys SCORED gift cards! We only got one gift from family. lol! Of course, cash is always best, but with 17, ENJOY. I''d be thrilled.

That said, like Kaleigh, I often forget about mine or it takes forever to use it. I have one to Gymboree that originally was for $200 and another that I finallly used up for $75. Their kids'' clothes there are great and last a long time, but I only buy them on sale and when I do, I use extra coupons, etc., and will end up spending $35 and getting two outfits for both kids and so the $200 is now down to around $40 and it''s TWO years old and the $75 was used up during school shopping! The strip on the back doesn''t even work anymore. The gals have to manually type in the number.

One type I don''t like is online ecards b/c then I''m stuck paying shipping.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually MC $50 to a coach store if used at an outlet would get you something great! my last evening satin clutch from coach outlet was like $75 after tax and original price was almost $200.
5.gif
and their coin purses, dog collars etc at the outlets are like $20. but yeah that would be random since i also would prob hang onto the card for a year waiting to GO to a coach outlet.

re: the VS gift card... they have a LOT of options depending on what you like AND i have gotten one or two pairs of lounge around the house pants for like $20-25, one of them this pair of super soft cotton pants, i love them. they have sales online very often and a lot of times you can get free ship. otherwise donate it or gift it to someone who will use it!

the gifter probably figured ''what woman can''t use a VS gift card?'' hehee.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Well, I wouldn''t be offended unless you have specifically told this person you hate VS. Most women like that store b/c you can get clothes, underwear, socks, pjs, lotions, make up, etc. And like Ebree said, you can get basic underwear there cheap...starting at $2.99. But if you would not wear or use absolutely anything from there, I would donate it or use it towards the purchase of some nice pajamas or something for someone that would like them.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Mostly I get annoyed when they are something I would never use. Recently, a college classmate gave us a gift certificate as part of our wedding gift, which was weird enough (why didn't she just give us money on our honeymoon registry??). I wouldn't have minded except it was to a chain of restaurants that we never ever go to (I don't even know if we have any near where we live). We just really don't like these restaurants and don't think we'll ever use the gift certificate, but I feel bad that she spent money on it thinking we would like it. I just don't get it when people get gift certificates but don't think about what the receiver would really want. Especially because it was for a wedding - why didn't she just get us one for Williams-Sonoma or Bed Bath & Beyond or something? That would make more sense.

The only other gift cards I don't like are ones to Starbucks. For whatever reason, those seem to be the go-to gift for people at work - I guess people assume everyone likes coffee? I don't like coffee or any coffee-like drinks and I don't like their tea (DH doesn't drink any of this stuff either) so it's just wasted on me. I understand people don't know what to get, I just wish they'd mix it up a little.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 1:06:41 PM
Author: Mara
actually MC $50 to a coach store if used at an outlet would get you something great! my last evening satin clutch from coach outlet was like $75 after tax and original price was almost $200.
5.gif
and their coin purses, dog collars etc at the outlets are like $20. but yeah that would be random since i also would prob hang onto the card for a year waiting to GO to a coach outlet.
I do need to head to a coach outlet to see what they have. The last time I was in one was when I didn't need a new purse. . .now I would like to find something new. Nobody gave me a GC this holiday though. . .bummer.

portia

Brilliant_Rock
I have mixed feelings on gift cards. I can see where getting low $$ gift cards to high priced stores would be frustrating - especially if you don''t shop at that store. I don''t mind using them at a store I like and spending a little extra to get something, but I wouldn''t want to have to spend a lot more because the gift amount was so low.

I received a gift card from the ILs for my b-day almost 2 yrs ago. It was a significant amount but, it was for one of the big name hotels in *Las Vegas*. My dh and I would have to spend almost the same amount of the card on the airfare alone. Then we''d have to pay to stay, eat, etc. About 6 mos. after I received this gift my dh lost his job so we still haven''t used it and each year it reduces in value. Now I feel really bad about not using it yet... and it was a gift!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 1:14:45 PM
Author: MC
Date: 12/27/2009 1:06:41 PM

Author: Mara

5.gif
I do need to head to a coach outlet to see what they have. The last time I was in one was when I didn''t need a new purse. . .now I would like to find something new. Nobody gave me a GC this holiday though. . .bummer.

Make sure to read the back. I have a $250 coach GC and tried to use it at their factory store yesterday and they wouldn''t take it.
15.gif
Has to be used at their "real" stores. I think that is absurd but nothing I can do about it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2009 11:16:39 AM
Author: Addy
I don''t mind them. I mostly get gift cards from my DH''s family. They aren''t going to give me cash, we try to keep clutter to a minimum, and it allows me to pick out something I could actually use avoiding the saying that I love something I don''t.

I''d hate it if it was to a store that I didn''t ever shop at though. I''ve seen people sell gift cards on ebay. Or if it''s more hassle than it''s worth, maybe give it to a friend who would shop there. Not as a re-gift, like a bad and unused gift swap.
Just want to add a bit of advice. If you do sell a GC on eBay be sure to write down the card and PIN #s because if the card gets lost in the mail (or if they buyer claims it does), you need to call the store for a replacement (some stores - I believe Sephora is one of them, who will give you a new card if the one you have is lost and you have the info to prove it was yours). I sold a GC and the gal said it got lost and I had no way to verify if she used it or not and had to refund her. She agreed to split the amount. The GC was originally for $50, but she won the card for $44 and I ended up getting $22 back. . .now I wish I had just spent it even though it would have been on stuff I wouldn''t normally purchase.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just used the last of my VS gift cards from my bachelorette party today. (The party was a year and a half ago!)

DH and I just went to the local mall, and he had a really fun time picking something out for me to buy. I only had about $30 on that card, and he found a sexy little nightgown for $48. I would have never bought it if I didn''t have the gift card, and it was fun watching DH pick it out.

I know how it may seem that the gift wasn''t thoughtful because it wasn''t for a large amount, but I''d give the givers the benefit of the doubt and assume that they thought you''d have fun picking something out for yourself. DH and I just gave $25 Best Buy gift cards to two of his teenage cousins for Chanukah (at their mother''s request) and I certainly hope that they aren''t complaining about getting small amounts for a store that sells bigger ticket items. We hope that they will put them towards a large purchase, but we just don''t believe in giving extravagant gifts for the holidays, so that was what we gave.

Christiana

Shiny_Rock
I guess I do. I mean I consider giving a gift card a rather "cold" gesture. It sometimes shows that you don''t want to spend time or effort on choosing something special for someone. JMHO, of course.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Also, as far as it being a small amount....I have no idea the person''s financial situation, but lots and lots of people cut way back this year. She might have felt obligated to get you something b/c you get a gift for her, but couldn''t afford much this year.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Man, I loves me some gift cards, although I do understand the position of feeling it''s a minimal-thought gift, and I also understand feelings of disappointment over amounts, stores, keeping track of cards, piddly amounts left over, etc.

When I get them, I see it as one of the few opportunities to splurge on myself, if possible. If not, it''s donated or a giftie is purchased for someone else for later time.

I tries to spends ''em right away so I don''t have to worry about losing them.

I do of course have preferences regarding stores, etc. I know my MIL will almost always buy me a GC for birthday/holiday, so she always asks what my store choice is.

Like others have pointed out, I only give GC to people I know well, and usually to a store I know they love. My MIL specifically REQUESTS gc because she (a) loves shopping and (b) doesn''t like my taste in gifts (I''m not offended, she doesn''t like her kids'' taste either...this just saves her a trip to return the original.)

To some, like me, the opportunity to spree a little is the real gift. Honestly, I would never buy a $10 jar of nummies at Williams Sonoma on my own, but with a GC, it''s blueberry pancake mix treats!

But, again, I absolutely see the other side of this!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italia, there are plenty of low-cost things to buy at VS-so I am a little perplexed by the comment that you couldn't buy anything in the store with the GC? They have a ton of things under $10.

That being said I also never shop there-but I would venture to say that MANY MANY women in America **love** VS. So to many people it seems like a "safe" gift.

If it's something you really can't/won't use I am SURE a women's shelter would be happy to receive it as a donation. They always have women who need underwear and things like that.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought it was funny when I got married that almost all the gift cards we got were for Macy''s. The SO and I have never shopped at Macy''s ever in our lives, haha.

Friends who knew us a little better got us Amazon and Best Buy giftcards
3.gif

I don''t really mind them that much. I rarely give them though, I would rather give cash than a giftcard when it comes to my friends (I think my generation is generally more accepting of cash gifts in terms of etiquette). The only time that wouldn''t be the case is if I thought they would use the cash for drugs, gambling, etc.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I generally like gift cards. Most of the ones I have received are to stores I really like, and it's always fun to have a shopping excursion on someone else's dime. I much prefer a gift card to a random gift that I can't return and have to pretend to like (example: getting weird pieces of "art" as wedding gifts--I feel obligated to keep them, store them, and display them when the giver comes over, when I'd really just rather not have them at all).

Italia, I'm surprised you have such an issue with a VS gift card--I remember responding to a thread you had started a while ago saying how much you liked one of their product lines. Perhaps the person who gave you this card was under the mistaken impression that you liked shopping there. My suggestion: stop into the store during the semi-annual sale, pick up a pair or two of $2.99 undies, and donate them to a local shelter for battered women. If you can't stomach going into the store, order the undies online and do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results