shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have an issue with gift cards???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Normally, I don''t. I think they can be really thoughtful gifts...except...

When the amount is so low that you couldn''t possibly afford to buy anything in the store without using some of your own money. I''ve run into this issue this Christmas season, and it''s really frustrating. Especially when it''s to a store that doesn''t have anything I would want to buy for myself.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I used to hate them on principal italia. And that used to be one of the reasons I disliked them. However, I''m getting lazier as I age. I also don''t like to stress out over gift buying. I would rather give a gift card than an unused gift.

Having said that, I have a limit I will purchase for a store vs. a restaurant. I have no problem giving lower amounts on a meal for certain gift giving necessities. Take my brother, whom I would rather not give a gift too, but if I have to, it might as well be on food since he''s single and doesn''t have money.

I won''t purchase less than $50 for a Target, Macy''s etc. I won''t purchase less than $25 for Olive Garden...etc.
But I have no problem giving out $10 or $15 gift cards for ColdStone, Subway, Chili''s etc.

I get what you mean though. It''s actually cheaper for the giver to find a good thoughtful present.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like getting them from people I do not know very well, or for very large amounts of money
2.gif
I do not like getting them from my husband or close friends because I feel like they should be able to think of something I would like.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I dislike gifts cards. When you get a gift card you have to spend your transportation money to get to the store, you usually have to spend more than the card to get the card''s full value, and you have to limit your shopping to a specific store. If you get a VISA gift card its impossible to find out how much is on it until you use it and can''t check it before you shop.

These are all inconveniences that for me take away the joy of a "gift". Like how do you know I drink coffee, shop at Target, buy iTunes, etc.

I think gift cards are a great way for stores to make a ton of money on people who don''t use up all the money on the card, loose the cards, can''t find anything at the store, etc.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 10:01:59 PM
Author:Italiahaircolor

When the amount is so low that you couldn''t possibly afford to buy anything in the store without using some of your own money. I''ve run into this issue this Christmas season, and it''s really frustrating. Especially when it''s to a store that doesn''t have anything I would want to buy for myself.
Is it for $5 or something?

Do you know someone else who would like the giftcard? You could always add more money to it, and gift it to someone else..

I haven''t personally run into this issue, so I don''t really have much advice. You can also sell giftcards on eBay, bids usually go really close to the value of the card.

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
I agree Not a thoughtful gift but not too big of an issue for me anymore, unwanted ones go to charity.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t mind getting them and I give them a lot but I try to give them for somewhere I know they shop.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Normally I love them. I really try to keep clutter to a minimum at my house (endless battle with a packrat husband) and so I normally donate candles or lotions or other generic gifts that I get unless it's something that I really love. So I would greatly prefer a gift card if the person doesn't know me well!

But I do think it's odd to choose a gift card to a random expensive store for a low amount of $.

Italia, do you normally shop at this store? If so, I would think they were just trying to be nice knowing you shop there. If not, I don't know what they were thinking!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sort of neutral. I guess I''m like neatfreak in that I''d rather have a gift card instead of something pointless that I can''t return. But at the same time, gift cards force you to buy something when you might not need anything, especially because they all seem to expire within six months to a year. Or if the card is for a place like Target I end up using it to buy cat litter or something...not so gifty!

They are easy to regift, though-I got a Starbucks gift card this year that I''m going to promptly regift for my office Secret Santa gift! (I don''t like coffee or any coffee like drinks and the hot chocolates and apple ciders from Starbucks hurt my stomach...thanks for the thoughtful gift!
3.gif
)

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
I have gotten some from Honey Baked Ham and similar stores that I cannot use. I have been able to give them away to charities. However, if they card is from an expensive store, I don't know how they could be put to good use. I have also misplaced quite a few of them.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t get many of them, and think if I did, I''d forget about them.. I am bad at keeping track...

ITH, what was the store that you got the gift card for. I can''t imagine giving a gift card to an expensive store for a small amount. That''s just wrong, and you''d have to add a lot to the amount to buy what you want? Kind of defeats the whole idea??

But yes, tis the thought that counts, gotta be PC!!!
3.gif

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are ok as long as it is someplace that I shop but have got some weird ones that I end up giving away.
Like the client that gave me one to a candle shop... like hello! You know I have asthma and ask you to put out your candles and air out the office before I come over so I can breath! I gave it to my sis.

I always get my sister''s and Niece''s kids McDonald''s gift cards because I refuse to buy them yet another toy to be thrown in the pile with the 500 other toys they get each year.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, hate ''em! DH and I got 17 of them for Christmas.
23.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 11:56:01 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I don''t get many of them, and think if I did, I''d forget about them.. I am bad at keeping track...

ITH, what was the store that you got the gift card for. I can''t imagine giving a gift card to an expensive store for a small amount. That''s just wrong, and you''d have to add a lot to the amount to buy what you want? Kind of defeats the whole idea??

But yes, tis the thought that counts, gotta be PC!!!
3.gif
Hahahaha. I''m a PC failure.

I admit that although I find them convenient to give, I don''t like to receive them except to re-gift them. I always lose them or forget about them, etc. especially if they are for a particular store that I seldom frequent.

My Mom gave me a Visa gift card this year and I won a $25 Visa, so I plan on whipping them out as soon as I hit the next store, just so I don''t waste the gift. Thank god my daughter and the most of the younger generation, it seems, keeps track of these things more than I do. -----that>

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t really have a problem with gift cards, although I prefer not to buy them for people (but I do anyway sometimes). I try to find something personal to buy, but if I can''t, I know a gift card to a store they like is usually better than me picking something out that they''ll never use. I would much rather receive a gift card than a thoughtless gift that I''ll never use. At least with the gift card I''ll be able to pick something that''s my taste!

Getting a gift card that''s too small of an amount to actually buy anything from the store is extremely annoying though. Like if someone handed me a gift card to Tiffany''s for $25 I would feel like it''s just simply a waste of money. I can''t get anything I would want from a store like that for $25 so it''s really just pointless. Very frustrating.

But yes, it''s the thought that counts
9.gif
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like giftcards. So much better IMO than random generic gifts (how many bubble baths or candles can you have?) and even if they are a lower amount, I just think of it as a discount off a purchase. Of course, I think a Visa, Mastercard or Amex giftcards are superior to most others, but I''m generally happy to get a giftcard. You caqn always sell them on ebay or regift them too. Lke I said, I''m generally a big fan.

My brother asked for a few big items that I could not afford for him. Instead I got him a gc to go towards the purchase of those items as he was going to get them anyway.

I like gift cards!

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I love gift cards, especially to gas stations. Its nice having one in the door of the car in case I lose my wallet. (Done that more than once...)

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE gift cards....both giving and receiving. My dad enjoys getting them and always calls to tell me when he''s been shopping with them and what he bought.

DH loves getting his Starbucks gift card from me. My brother and his family give us gift cards to restaurants. Some friends give us restaurant/store gift cards. DH receives gift cards during the holidays from his company.

Honestly, I have lost a few gift cards when throwing out the trash after the holidays, but I''ve made sure to remove them from the cards since then.

To me, it REALLY IS THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS and I would donate the gift card to charity if you can''t, or won''t, use it.

Lori

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
If it's really impossible to buy anything at the store using just the card (like the example of a $25 gift card at Tiffany's), then yes, I would say that is a bit of a waste and slightly annoying. In that case, I'd probably just offer it someone who I knew liked shopping at that store.

However, in all other cases I love gift cards! There's something nice about going into a store knowing you HAVE to buy something
3.gif
, because hey, it's already paid for! My issue with getting cash is that it tends to just get put in my bank account and used to pay groceries/go into savings. Less fun.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2009 12:12:24 AM
Author: Laila619
Yes, hate ''em! DH and I got 17 of them for Christmas.
23.gif

WOW! 17 gift cards! That''s amazing!!! Well, I guess it seems like an amazing number of gifts, regardless of the type. I have a very small family, so that seems really huge to me. Hopefully, many of them are for places that you like!!

I do like gift cards. I like to give a Target card to our mail carrier, because really, who doesn''t shop there, or even if the person doesn''t shop there regularly, who couldn''t find something useful there? I gave my assistant an Outback gift card this year, and she was over-the-moon. She has two young girls and is on a tight budget, so they rarely get to go out to dinner. So, in light of the circumstances, I think these are still thoughtful gifts.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
i LOVE giftcards! i actually got a bunch from BF this year since all i asked for was new clothes. however since i lost a bunch of weight, i don''t even know what size i am anymore, so he basically got me a shopping spree to all my favorite stores.
36.gif
i know most people were probably thinking it wasn''t very thoughtful, but it really was my favorite gift this year.

i do give them as gifts too - if they''re for close friends, i always get cards at a store i know they frequent and it''s always accompanied with other gifts. if they''re for co-workers/acquaintances, i tend to stick to Visa/MC cards (although i loathe those activation fees), gas cards or one to where they usually go for lunch or happy hour.

like Gypsy said, if i happen to get one in a lower amount, i just think of it nice discount. one of my bar regulars gave me a $5 Target card, and it went towards some much needed wrapping paper and gift bags.
9.gif

Italia - maybe you can use it towards a gift for someone else? i know it won''t be a nice gift for yourself, but at least it can go towards something perhaps. i agree that it''s frustrating when you can''t really use the card.
7.gif
i remember i got a $50 one to a store i never go to and when i finally tried to use it, they told me they weren''t able to process the card (what?!). what a waste!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I'm of the camp that says appreciate the fact you actually got a gift card instead of nothing. Something is better than nothing. Also you could regift it or give it to charity. I'd appreciate a gift card for any amount for any store. I'm sure I'd be able to find something even somewhere I don't usually shop and if not I'd regift it or give it away.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE GCs. I am really picky though so I appreciate the ability to pick out what I need/want. I can see what you mean about a low amount at a high end store. Maybe it was a regift? Luckily that has never happened to me before.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for responding...

My nemesis gift card is to Victoria Secret...probably my least favorite store in the entire world. I can honestly count the number of times I have walked into that place on one hand. I would never shop there...it holds zero appeal to me. Now, if the card was to a store i actually shopped--I would be thrilled and fine with it...but I hate having to spend money at a store I hate just to "use" the gift. I doubt charity could do much with a VS gift card...but I''ve actually mulled around the idea of using it for her Christmas gift next year...actually buying her something from there.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
This might sound a bit crass, but I wonder if the closest women''s shelter could use the card to purchase an undergarment for someone?

VS is a whole new ballgame as far as gift cards are concerned. That one would annoy me too, but at size 18 that is one thing I never have to worry about.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/26/2009 10:01:59 PM
Author:Italiahaircolor

Yes, I do not understand low amount gift cards to expensive places. If you can''t find something to buy at the place with that amount, its not really a gift. I gave someone a $150 gift card to Trader Vic''s this Christmas since they''ve alwys wanted to go and can''t afford it right now. They said it was "too much". I thought, have you seen the prices there?? That''s two appetizers, entrees, desserts and a drink each. MAYBE.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italia, they have clothes and shoes in their catalogue. Also have lotion and make-up. If you can''t use it and can''t regift it maybe you can buy some clothes to donate.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I give out Visa gift cards so that the recipient can use them wherever they like. Minimum I get is $25.00 and this is usually as holiday tips. I do not give gift cards to family.

Someone gave me Baskin Robbin certificates?!! What can I get there? Perhaps I will buy an ice cream cake and enjoy it for New Years, but first I have to find one near me.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I love gift cards! I love having a chance to pick out exactly what I want, and it''s guilt-free shopping! Even if the GC doesn''t cover everything, then I can get something nice and it costs me less than it would otherwise. GCs rock!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results