shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of my 15,48ct tanzanite?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honey I hope you have found the deal of the century! Just please make sure you protect yourself okay? Be careful not to sell something until it's all been checked out?

In the meantime, you clearly have a passion for gemstones, so do some reading and if you're interested you can always take courses (and you can do them via distance learning as well). The downside is they typically cost quite a lot of money and if you have a busy day job they do take some studying BUT they're fun and you'll learn tons AND you may be able to connect with other collectors/sellers in Sweden!

Good luck with this stone.

Edit: just seen the IGI report. Since it was issued in January (and presumably you didn't send it to them), give them a call to verify. The wording about thermal evidence being lacking does mean it's probably unheated (which would account for the green colour). I really really really hope that this turns out well for you.

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
Thanks :) I learn with google ;-) It taken me a bit on the way. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any Swedes with knowledge, so I am trying to educate myself along the way :) I have a busy dayjob + is a single mom of 5, but I always have time for gems ;-)

I have been buying stones for 10 years now so hopefully I learned something, but I really would like to be a gemologist in my next life.

Thanks guys for putting up with me this evening :)
( I payed $1300)
:appl:

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
This is probably not helpful in any way, but hee I love this stone! It reminds me of the 'Heart of the Ocean' from Titanic....lame though that reference may be ;-) You should totally set it in a pendant!

I'm making fun of my own reference by the way - not your stone. The stone looks lovely :)

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
Jereni|1358631599|3359839 said:
This is probably not helpful in any way, but hee I love this stone! It reminds me of the 'Heart of the Ocean' from Titanic....lame though that reference may be ;-) You should totally set it in a pendant!

I'm making fun of my own reference by the way - not your stone. The stone looks lovely :)

Thanks :) I guess I can call it Titanic when its so huge ;-) Hope it doesnt make me sink :lol:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiger_Lily|1358631433|3359832 said:
Thanks :) I learn with google ;-) It taken me a bit on the way. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be any Swedes with knowledge, so I am trying to educate myself along the way :) I have a busy dayjob + is a single mom of 5, but I always have time for gems ;-)

I have been buying stones for 10 years now so hopefully I learned something, but I really would like to be a gemologist in my next life.

Thanks guys for putting up with me this evening :)

:appl:

Well the very best of luck to you! You've certainly got your hands full! I have no idea how you find the time!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst Google is a great research resource for everything under the sun, there are also many links with incorrect information. Be sure to check that source is reputable. A seller's site could be iffy but a lab research paper that is reviewed is a safe choice.

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
The problem is that its not the same answer on one question. Mabe its beacuse Tanzanite is a new stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is because not the sources are "solid" as I mentioned earlier. You can find all sorts of information online but facts and myth and incorrect information are all mixed in together. You have to be careful where you are reading and gleaning your information from. Tanzanite is relatively new but not all that new.

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
Of course I dont think everything I read is true. But there are a lot of different answers about for example the fading of tanzanites, I cant know for a fact what is true if I dont speak to a true expert of tanzanite. If you have a link to a known expert I would gladly take it :)

I´ve read about green zoisite from Pakistan that was treated into blue that faded, If so mabe that was the case with my fading one, and mabe my heart is a Pakistan too...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiger: If you don't mind a suggestion, you might want to google "Gemology" or "Gemology Forums/websites." There are a number of resources out there for someone with an interest like yours. There is one site in particular that will be helpful to you, as several of their knowledgable members are in Sweden (I am sorry that I am not allowed to link to it or to give you the name but I have given you some good hints to finding it). I do hope this helps.

It must be frustrating for you to get conflicting information. I can imagine with few resources in Sweden, it would be discouraging when you google something and you get contradictory information... :errrr: But as others have said, google is only a starting point, then the info must be filtered. It sounds like if your stone is real, you have done well. You can ensure that that track record continues if you educate yourself - and come back and ask questions just as you did!

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1358702508|3360318 said:
Tiger: If you don't mind a suggestion, you might want to google "Gemology" or "Gemology Forums/websites." There are a number of resources out there for someone with an interest like yours. There is one site in particular that will be helpful to you, as several of their knowledgable members are in Sweden (I am sorry that I am not allowed to link to it or to give you the name but I have given you some good hints to finding it). I do hope this helps.

It must be frustrating for you to get conflicting information. I can imagine with few resources in Sweden, it would be discouraging when you google something and you get contradictory information... :errrr: But as others have said, google is only a starting point, then the info must be filtered. It sounds like if your stone is real, you have done well. You can ensure that that track record continues if you educate yourself - and come back and ask questions just as you did!

Thanks , will do that :) In Sweden the info is none. So thats interesting that there are more Swedes out there with my interest :)

I really cant see that my stone is not real. If its fake all my other tanzanites where fakes aswell. And even if it bothers some that I get stones at great dels and really make a profit, it doesnt bother me. ;-)

I think I learned to see a lot out of a stone during my 10 years of buying and selling them, even if its a lot more to learn. Its a hobby that paid itself with the ones I sold of and I am very happy with my collection.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with everything said. You have such a passion but Google is the last place to find information unfortunately!

You don't need to speak to a Tanzanite expert because Tanzanite is quite an easy gem! Tanzanite One are the mine owners and they have a website with loads of information. Basically what you need to know is:-

1. Tanzanite is heated in the earth - the more it's heated the more blue it becomes as the brown/green is heated out.
2. Because the earth heats Tanzanite it's a natural treatment. Man then uses a heat treatment to some of the Tanzanite that is a less desirable colour. It's a stable treatment because once heated, it stays that way.
3. Unheated Tanzanite can be found in a range of colours i.e. brown, green, orange, pink, yellow etc.
4. Strangely, there isn't much love for unheated Tanzanites in the orange/pink/yellow colourways but they are very pretty. Having said there isn't much love for them, because they're not "normal" they can be the same price per carat as a normal blue Tanzanite.
5. There are 8(?) sight-holders i.e. primary buyers that Tanzanite One sell to and they largely control the distribution/sale of Tanzanite.
6. Coatings and other imitations really only appeared on the market about 5-8 years ago :nono:
7. When Tanzanite was considered "rare" ie it was going to run out quickly, the price per carat steadily rose. Around 5 years ago the prices dropped and although they have started to rise again, it's not going up at a phenomenal rate.
8. There are no signs of Tanzanite being mined out and in fact they've just found some lovely (very blue) material much deeper into the mine.
9. You may see Tanzanite referred to as A, AA, AAA, AAAA grade etc and some places even have AAAAA+++ :lol: Basically it's normally an in-house grading system so take it with a pinch of salt! There's some information on the Lapigems website that you may find helpful.

Have a poke around the internet (using the hints Minou posted) because there's another forum that has many experts on there that can help with queries BUT be warned they don't take any prisoners and will expect people to have a certain knowledge! It can be a bit scientific and daunting at times but it's a mine of great information!

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
I found a swedish gemologist living just a few miles from me :) so thank you minousbijoux

yes I am aware what colors makes the best prices of tanzanite :) both worldwide and in Sweden :) I have 2 pinks myself and a yellow one. Even pale greens, but those I dont care for.
Its hard to sell odd colored ones here, or really impossible.

I had one close to top color and wow, thats a lot of difference in wow-factor from my heart, even it was "just" +3ct. :)

Thanks LD :)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LD, a few thing you posted that I don't think are correct. My understanding is that green doesn't burn out. I have learned this from my own heating of tanzanite, and from Steve at New Era gems, who has way more experience with Tanzanite than I do. Also, I don't think you get more blue from heating to a higher temperature. The natural blue stones don't turn more blue with additional heating. I have been told this from Tanzanite rough dealers, and have also tried it a few times myself. No change.

As far as other colors, nice greens and pinks, in the US do sell for high prices. I'll see small pieces of pink and green in pretty colors, selling for 3 or 4 times the price of blue or unheated root beer color stones. Collectors like these colors, and they are very rare.

Tanzanite in the colored gem world is a pretty rare stone. Just about any facet grade stone is rare. How many crystals of anything have you found in nature in your life? Quartz (amethyst, citrine etc) is much much more abundant that tanzanite. Compare tanzanite to tsavorite, and there is much more tanzanite mined than tsavorite.

Side note: I don't think I have ever sold a stone to someone in Sweden.

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
PrecisionGem|1358705690|3360337 said:
LD, a few thing you posted that I don't think are correct. My understanding is that green doesn't burn out. I have learned this from my own heating of tanzanite, and from Steve at New Era gems, who has way more experience with Tanzanite than I do. Also, I don't think you get more blue from heating to a higher temperature. The natural blue stones don't turn more blue with additional heating. I have been told this from Tanzanite rough dealers, and have also tried it a few times myself. No change.

As far as other colors, nice greens and pinks, in the US do sell for high prices. I'll see small pieces of pink and green in pretty colors, selling for 3 or 4 times the price of blue or unheated root beer color stones. Collectors like these colors, and they are very rare.

Tanzanite in the colored gem world is a pretty rare stone. Just about any facet grade stone is rare. How many crystals of anything have you found in nature in your life? Quartz (amethyst, citrine etc) is much much more abundant that tanzanite. Compare tanzanite to tsavorite, and there is much more tanzanite mined than tsavorite.

Thanks for your input :) You see, different person, different answer ;-)

No almost all Swedes think that all sapphires are dark blue, almost black. And some even think that brilliants are not the same as diamonds... ;-) they also call CZ for zircons. Oh my, oh my.... ;-)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PrecisionGem|1358705690|3360337 said:

Gene - it's my understanding (and this is from somebody who's literally just come back from Tanzanite One) that the deeper they are going with the mining the more blue the stones they're finding and the "finer" blue colour. This is attributed to the heat and (presumably) the longer they've been in the ground. I also thought that if you take a blue/green Tanzanite (like the ones on the JTV page I linked to) and heat they will become more blue and lose some of the green. In my experience, most Tanzanite that has green is unheated by man. I may be wrong about that but that was what I understood - having not tried it myself(!) I have no first hand experience so am only relying on those that have first hand experience - and of course it's their experience not mine!

In terms of the other colours - I agree about the pricing although don't think it's higher than top grade violetish/blue Tanzanite. Actually, if you know where to look you can pick up some very nice greens and yellows quite cheaply. Pinks and oranges are a little more pricing and not so easy to find. I actually do like them but I've yet to find others who do! They don't seem to have the WOW factor somehow.

In terms of rarity? Many coloured gemstones are rare BUT I think this term is used to indicate value/quality and availability which is a wholly different ballgame. Quartz is freely available and cheap so is it rare? No. Tsavorite and Tanzanite are both limited in mining but are they rare? Not yet because they're freely available. The blue Hayune looking Spinels from Luc Yen are absolutely what I would call rare. Stoplight red Spinels are rare (the real red ones)! So I guess it's a definition of what "rare" is! One thing I'm sure about ........ diamonds aren't rare! :lol:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have heated quite a bit of tanzanite over the years. I have re-heated at longer times and higher temperatures trying to improve color, and have had zero effect. I have never been able to burn out green. People who have sold thousands of grams of tanzanite have told me you can't burn out green.

It could be they found a pocket deep down that has nice color. I don't think it has anything to do with how hot they heated the stone. If this were true wouldn't everyone just heat their tanzanite a little hotter?

It doesn't all heat the same. Sometimes 2 stones that look very similar before heating, one heats to a nice blue, and the other a gray blue that is lighter. In my experience, re-heating hotter does nothing, but increase your chances of the stone fracturing from the heat.

I'll try to take note of pricing in Tucson, but as I remember, I see pinks selling for a lot more than fine blues.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I hope you're right about the pinks because I have a couple!

In terms of heating - surely the earth temperatures (and sustained temperatures over thousands of years) would be more effective than what man can do? If so it would make sense the deeper they go the bluer they may find! Clearly not all seams will be the same and some will be more resistant. That would make complete sense. I'm guessing that a stone would also have an optimum temperature that it would change to and then go no further - and taking that one step further - it's logical that not all crystals would be the same although there would be a range.

From memory and I may be wrong here, I thought that the greener parti-colour tanzanite was more prevalent in one part of the mine than others. Let me see if I can find the info.

I respect your opinion on driving out of the green - as I haven't had any first hand experience, I bow to yours. I'm sure we can both agree that heating drives out the yucky brown!!!

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
precisiongem if you have the website with the same name, I ran across it the other week, and I must say I LOVE your stones :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes that is his website. Gene, like many of the other lapidaries listed in the pinned thread at the top of the page, has many lovely stones. I'll add that he has the most amazing tanzanites, often, it seems, with multiple colors. I would say he definitely knows how to heat them to bring their true colors out.

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
I wrote to IGI yesterday and today got the reply:
Please to confirm that R1D65382 issued by IGI (Thailand).

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
Answer from Kaplans regarding how they handle every gemstone before deciding accepting it for auction:

Hello! We have trained gemmologists who goes through every jewelry/gemstone very carefully. The use loup with 10 x magnification, but also microscope, refractometer and polariscope. You are welcome for a valuation!

And from the head gemologist Ulv Livstrand I got a positive answer that he would like me to send in my heart Tanzanite. But I kind of like it know :)

And LD - you said that you didnt want to buy the diamonds I made a 110% profit on. You dont need to ;-) I left them at a pawn shop, so if someone wants to buy them, they need to pay even more. They were 1,80ct si and 2,00ct VVS light greyish brown diamonds. And no, I would never pay more than what I payed for them either. ;-)

Is not my spinel on sale on Kaplans. I will try to take some pics of my 2 pieces of 8ct red spinel I have, I also have a hot pinkish purple 10,65ct spinel, as seen on my profile.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiger_Lily|1358780839|3360880 said:
Answer from Kaplans regarding how they handle every gemstone before deciding accepting it for auction:

Hello! We have trained gemmologists who goes through every jewelry/gemstone very carefully. The use loup with 10 x magnification, but also microscope, refractometer and polariscope. You are welcome for a valuation!

And from the head gemologist Ulv Livstrand I got a positive answer that he would like me to send in my heart Tanzanite. But I kind of like it know :)

And LD - you said that you didnt want to buy the diamonds I made a 110% profit on. You dont need to ;-) I left them at a pawn shop, so if someone wants to buy them, they need to pay even more. They were 1,80ct si and 2,00ct VVS light greyish brown diamonds. And no, I would never pay more than what I payed for them either. ;-)

Is not my spinel on sale on Kaplans. I will try to take some pics of my 2 pieces of 8ct red spinel I have, I also have a hot pinkish purple 10,65ct spinel, as seen on my profile.

If any of your gems are for sale you must not post photos of them on here. As you have trade status you cannot promote or link to your own stones. Thought you might want to know that because the rules here are quite strict.

I think you've misunderstood me - I haven't asked to buy any of your diamonds! Actually greyish brown diamonds are incredibly cheap but they can look very nice if the grey isn't very obvious. Brown or grey diamonds are interesting in certain hues.

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
Thanks. No I dont sell any right now and not on this forum in the future either I think , I havent learned how this site works yet, I am just interested in talking to other enthusiasts :)

haha no you didnt ask to buy them, sorry, thats not what I was applying :)

Sorry my english may not be that great either ..

Here´s a pic of 2 of my spinels, just for fun. Sorry I am neither a good photographer or have a good camera.

10,65ct purple and about 8,8ct red. Nice for the price I paid I think.

20130121_172902_1_.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are big spinels! What do they look like when you don't have a strong light source shining directly on them, say in diffused natural light?

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
In sunlight or daylight they are nice, otherwise way to dark :blackeye:

kitchen light, no flash on camera: 20130121_190000.jpg

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
ohettad.jpg

6,75ct unheated orangy brown zoisite - GIA certified

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like it? This one is not to my taste, but others may like it... :confused:

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Maybe the difference is heat with pressure as opposed to just heat.

Tiger_Lily

Rough_Rock
I like the color of the unheated ( if it was that you ment) but a nice cut trillion would have shown the colors better I think. Its ok, not more than that.

minousbijoux said:
Do you like it? This one is not to my taste, but others may like it... :confused:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results