shape
carat
color
clarity

Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
There are 100 points in a carat, so 70 points is .70 carats.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Lucky you, Jeweljunke, with the Larimer. I really like that color, too. Dana seems to price his gems to value... which is very nice for this gem budget.

Minousbijoux all I can say about the orange diamond is," I want!" very fond of orange. :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, TL, that orange pear is incredible! What a beauty!

Lovely larimar, Wordie, beautiful color. Is that difficult in jewelry due to its photosensitivity, or does the color come back once it's out of intense light for a time?

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who's going to buy me the orange FCD? ;( Too beautiful for words.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know, Larimar isn't treated, and it's really well priced for such a lovely turquoise blue stone. As always, research Larimar to make sure you're not buying the fake stuff, composite or dyed material.

And the orange FCD is $114000, so I hope someone here can buy it for me. :naughty:

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
JF, I think TL knows more about Larimar than I do. I just thought; pretty... blue.... pretty! I was going to add a pretty rubellite from clear cut gems but it was sold ALREADY!

Instead, here's an an eye catching stone from vvs1, Tan's shop. The color is yummy (to me!) :lickout: but I was surprised at the price $2780 for 2.97, vs1. I imagine it's due to the rarity of color as I don't see many orangy pink spinels.

vvs1_orange_spinel_2.jpg

Do you think the dull facet is the angle of light? No video yet.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
:twirl: Here's another orangey spinel but they call it peachy red. Ebay auction so price is, at least now, much much more reasonable!

3.45ct, vs2 Earth Gems currently at about $45.

gemearth_peachy_red_spinel.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
wordie89|1343055642|3238516 said:
:twirl: Here's another orangey spinel but they call it peachy red. Ebay auction so price is, at least now, much much more reasonable!

3.45ct, vs2 Earth Gems currently at about $45.

gemearth_peachy_red_spinel.jpg

Wordie, do you have a link for this one? Thanks!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I won't speak about that vendor BUT...I noticed that this stone, and some of their other stones, use lab reports from SLP labs. I wouldn't trust those certs AT ALL. I bought a Chrome Tourmaline, from a different vendor, and asked for a cert. The cert came from SLP labs and said "natural chrome Tourmaline" and "no indication of heat treatment" (??)

Anyways, I sent the stone out to be recut but before I did that, I had it checked and sure enough, it wasn't a Chrome Tourmaline at all...as there was NO red of any kind under the Chelsea Filter. I had heard other stories about SLP labs, but this was one that I can confirm firsthand.

I don't know if that means that I'd question a vendor automatically for using this 'lab' but I would absolutely get a different certificate if I wanted a certificate with the stone. I'd be fine with AIGS, Emil---I am not one of those people that needs AGL or GIA, but SLP is a worthless certificate to have.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I just don't get gem-earth. Why do they always have large, clean and gorgeous color rare stones?If their stones are natural and unheated as they described, any vendor who knows their values would get at least a AIGS cert for customer's peace mind, but they always use SLP for them even if this cert may scare some customers off. An over 4ct natural blue spinel, an over 3ct natural padparadscha color spinel, with SLP cert? Really? Sounds really weird to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris,
Out of curiousity, what did the "chrome tourmaline" turn out to be?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please note the color of the tweezers in that Gem-Earth photo. I know from my own personal experience with them that they always pump up the saturation levels of their photos and are quite open about their photoshopping (at least with me). But based on the color of the tweezers, I would say the gem would be significantly different in color in person.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
ohhhhhh Minousbijoux, good catch on the tweezers! I did not notice that. Thanks Chrissa22 and OTL for additional info.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono,
It turned out to be normal deep green tourmaline. Just not colored by Chrome. I only bought it because I got such a great price on a "Chrome tourmaline". I complained to the vendor about the lab used and I got refunded for the cert I paid for. I wish I had returned the stone but I didn't want to deal with shipping it to Thailand...this was when I started collecting. Now, I know better...lol. you just won't get a Chrome tourmaline almost 2cts for $40, even with a "cert". He he I paid my dues. Wanna buy a dark, poorly cut over-saturated tourmaline for $40? I'll throw in a cert for free!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More importantly, did it look chrome green? From your last reply, I guess not, it looks like a very dark green stone?

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono...yeah, it is a dark green gemstone (the supposed "chrome" Tourmaline). Since I've seen both dark green, and bright Tsavorite-green Chrome Tourmalines (I own one of each) I figured it was a legit Chrome Tourmaline. When I saw the cert was from SLP I knew it was suspect and sure enough, it was not red under the Chelsea Filter. LOL.

Here are some pictures...

The first is the dark Chrome Tourmaline from Gene at Precisiongem

The second is a bright mediumn green Chrome Tourmaline from Jeff Davies/eBay..this stone is lighter/brighter IRL

The third stone is the fake Chrome Tourmaline..its pretty dark..the only way I could get decent color was holding it like this in between my fingers. It was a 'bargain' so I didnt mind the color/tone, just as long as it was colored by Chrome (collectability)

chrome.jpg

15jeffchrome.jpg

chpear2.jpg

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Back to the topic at hand....

I was able to buy a sister stone to this one for sale...mines almost an exact match. After an exhausting search for "THE" Red Spinel for me...red, not pink or purple-red, and not too dark..I found mine with Jeff Davies (again) on eBay. This stone here is almost the same--mine is a tiny bit lighter and larger.

This one is a Moguk Red Spinel, 1.20cts Cushion Cut, excellent clarity too. $345.

_272.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boy I need some new sources! I love Brad's stones and always go back to see what's left over after the initial mad dash of his drop...

Today it was this lovely Russian demantoid. As a specimen, how can you beat a well cut, .65 ct, 5.2mm Russian with a perfectly positioned horsetail for $520? Not likely!

7-24-12tgtdemantoid.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and while I'm at it, our own 1001 Smiles is selling some gorgeous stones over in Preloved and the Bistro. Since DB is down, I can't add the photos, but she's letting go of her 1.1 oval precision cut Mahenge for what she bought it for from Dana (in the $300s IIRC). She also has a just under one carat Merelani mint garnet with the illusive bluish tone. Someone should buy 'em!

Sorry for the lack of pics - to be continued.

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux said:
...and while I'm at it, our own 1001 Smiles is selling some gorgeous stones over in Preloved and the Bistro. Since DB is down, I can't add the photos, but she's letting go of her 1.1 oval precision cut Mahenge for what she bought it for from Dana (in the $300s IIRC). She also has a just under one carat Merelani mint garnet with the illusive bluish tone. Someone should buy 'em!

Thanks for the plug, Minous :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1343183376|3239433 said:

And someone already snapped up the stone I wanted :((

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, unfortunately, not surprising that the Mahenge and the umbalite asscher are sold...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordan Wilkins is an excellent cutter - anybody interested in this stunning 20.12 ct amethyst for $403? A bargain for a stunning stone with brilliant (pun intended) cutting. Jordan explained that the background color being pink is a product of his modifying the color so at to get accurate stone color; it appears that PS intensified it a bit more...

7-27-12jwamethyst2.jpg

7-27-12jwamethyst.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noblista, did you buy the demantoid?
Chrisa, the tsavorite from Jeff is a STEAL. You said, brighter IRL? I presume, you bought it?

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ark...

That's not a Tsavorite...its a Chrome Tourmaline...it is brighter IRL...and, its very nice. Chrome Tourmalines are a bargain right now..compared to Tsavorite. You get the same amazing color. True, it is a slightly less brilliant stone, but if it is cut well, it can look very similar. Chrome Tourmaline is one of my favorite stones, and does not get the publicity that the Tsavorite does. I am fine with that...more for me to buy at excellent prices :)

I like the bright ones and the darker ones...the second stone I just got from Gene. The green gets very saturated---in a good way---under the new CFL lights that are normally gemstone killers. For some reason, both my Chrome Diopsides and Chrome Tourmalines respond in a positive way to the CFL's around the house.

I cannot tell you about Tsavorite and CFL's as I don't currently own a Tsavorite. I had a few that I sold out of my collection...

I'd really like to get a hold of one like either of the two that have been shown in MimB's thread. I can't remember the vendor, but the stone that isn't Yvonne's looks great to me. I seem to prefer the darker colors, especially the green, and I also don't mind a little extinction either, as to me its appealing for some bizarre reason. To each his own I guess!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all, Minous, I apologize for autocorrect...the question re. demantoid referred to you.
Chrisa, I understood my mistake but was too tired to repost. I have a Chrome tourmaline...hopelessly dark-bottle-green, I might have lost it already but if so, I do not care... There is a better one, but in general, you have to be lucky to get a good one. Trouble is, there are so many fakes! And testing costs..., plus they are soft.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Arkteia|1343495562|3242072 said:
First of all, Minous, I apologize for autocorrect...the question re. demantoid referred to you.
Chrisa, I understood my mistake but was too tired to repost. I have a Chrome tourmaline...hopelessly dark-bottle-green, I might have lost it already but if so, I do not care... There is a better one, but in general, you have to be lucky to get a good one. Trouble is, there are so many fakes! And testing costs..., plus they are soft.

It's quite simple to distinguish a Chrome tourmaline from a typical green tourmaline. Use a Chelsea filter. The green tourmaline will look green under it, the chrome will be red. Just make sure you use a real incandescent light bulb, florescent light doesn't work will with the filter.

Chrome tourmaline in the rough, costs about 8 to 10 times what green tourmaline does. Often when buying chrome, I'll see some green tourmaline mixed in with the parcel. I always dump out the parcel, look at the entire parcel with the filter and pull out the green ones. The reddest red ones have the best "chrome" look to them. I believe that true chrome tourmaline only comes from East Africa.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results