shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there any lavender spinel left for me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know it''s only been about 2 1/2 months since I emailed Barry about finding lavender spinel for my new ering..but I tell ya, the wait is killing me! I''ve only asked once how the search is going-I don''t want him to think I''m a wack a doodle nut job, hounding him about it. And I know he took some time off too-hopefully his shoulder gets the rest it needs!

Jim was very sweet to email me 3 pictures of cushion rings he''s done..added fuel to the fire and got me all wound up. My fault, cuz I asked for the pictures!

The other night, while agonizing over those pictures..I suddenly wished our stupid printer worked, b/c I thought I could print one out and shrink it down..and color it with my crayolas. I could cut it out and viola! My husband might think I finally cracked under the pressure, but I would be happy with my paper stand in ring until I had the real thing!

How do you guys manage the wait? Is it b/c this is my first time ever doing this, that I''m so antsy, not knowing what to expect?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can take a few months to find the right one because these are natural gems from the ground, not made to order.
9.gif
Have you contacted anyone else about finding lavender spinels or perhaps you are partial to having it precision cut? Since it has been 2 and a half months with no news, I would send another email in an unassuming tone wondering if he’s had any success, how’s the shoulder doing, etc.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried others? or do you just want one from Barry? I would also try the other guys Jeff White, Gene, Michael, Maybe Gary Dutton, maybe he can source you one too?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 3:34:56 PM
Author:packrat
I know it''s only been about 2 1/2 months since I emailed Barry about finding lavender spinel for my new ering..but I tell ya, the wait is killing me! I''ve only asked once how the search is going-I don''t want him to think I''m a wack a doodle nut job, hounding him about it. And I know he took some time off too-hopefully his shoulder gets the rest it needs!

Jim was very sweet to email me 3 pictures of cushion rings he''s done..added fuel to the fire and got me all wound up. My fault, cuz I asked for the pictures!

The other night, while agonizing over those pictures..I suddenly wished our stupid printer worked, b/c I thought I could print one out and shrink it down..and color it with my crayolas. I could cut it out and viola! My husband might think I finally cracked under the pressure, but I would be happy with my paper stand in ring until I had the real thing!

How do you guys manage the wait? Is it b/c this is my first time ever doing this, that I''m so antsy, not knowing what to expect?
what size are you looking for?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2009 3:47:05 PM
Author: Chrono
It can take a few months to find the right one because these are natural gems from the ground, not made to order.
9.gif
Have you contacted anyone else about finding lavender spinels or perhaps you are partial to having it precision cut? Since it has been 2 and a half months with no news, I would send another email in an unassuming tone wondering if he’s had any success, how’s the shoulder doing, etc.

Sorry, I meant to say-it was 2 1/2 months since I first contacted him..I emailed him once later on to ask how it was going. I will email again tho, so he doesn''t think I changed my mind! I thought about checking other places as well, but I really like how Barry cuts his cushions..the chunkiness gets me every time!

I know it takes a while..I was just being a (to use my own phrase on myself) whine baby pee pants!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want only a Barry cut gem, it might mean a wait since I think he''s letting his shoulder recuperate.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dangit-this whole pink shoe thing is messing me up. Every time I see it I think "Oh, Freke changed her shoe..oh wait, that''s me" or whoever else it happens to be! I''m not the real Slim Shady.

Karee, 6-8mm I think. I''ve been to a couple mall stores to get ideas on how the sizes look on my finger, and I plan on hitting the jeweler downtown here. I think they might be a little more helpful and knowledgeable since they''ve been here for 60 some years.

Thanks D&T and IK..I do believe I will check the others out and see what I find!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2009 4:21:16 PM
Author: packrat

Date: 7/23/2009 3:47:05 PM
Author: Chrono
9.gif

Sorry, I meant to say-it was 2 1/2 months since I first contacted him..I emailed him once later on to ask how it was going. I will email again tho, so he doesn''t think I changed my mind! I thought about checking other places as well, but I really like how Barry cuts his cushions..the chunkiness gets me every time!

I know it takes a while..I was just being a (to use my own phrase on myself) whine baby pee pants!
What is the deal with the pink shoes? I see them a lot. Just curious.

I would wait for the right spinel. I am not a patient person but I hate to keep buying the same thing over until I get it right.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Merc and MarcyC! The perfect one will come along, I know! I had time to look at Peter Torraca''s site tonight, so might give him a try too!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
*sad face* Barry said he''d keep after his suppliers, and that he wished he could just go over there and mine it himself! Said he wished he could get hooked up w/the lady miners organization over there..they do all the mining while the men sit around and drink beer-that gave me a chuckle!

So, I suppose I could change color/species so I can still have Master Barry cut it. Or see if someone else has it-I''d have the color but not the cut. Or, just wait it out for a while. Lost Sapphire (I''m pretty sure) waited 6 months or something for her stone, so I can wait too! Patiently..drumming my fingers..tapping my foot..twidling my thumbs..

Hey, he mentioned someone got a big round from him-I think I missed it. Who was it??

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Well, Liz's big blue monster was from Barry, it's posted in SMTR. Dan listed a pink in his currently cutting yesterday/today. Barry's work is great, but I'm a fan of Dan's spinels. Less chunky but very brilliant. At 1.05 it should be over 6mm.

NewRoc478937k.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With lavender and purple spinels, I have found that many of them tend to either have a lot of grey or brown, and the above Dan Stone looks suspect to have brown in it from the picture, but I could be wrong once you see it in person. I was super lucky to find the most amazing lavender spinel on ebay with no trace of grey or brown, in a great native cut to boot! It is a very pure lavender/pink hue and changes color. It was included (which to me is good because the inclusions prove it''s natural), but the color is simply amazing, and I have yet to find another lavender spinel in that color from the same seller. The best part was that it was only $25 for a 1.5 carat stone. The seller is SriLankaMall. Unfortunately, their latest offerrings of lavender spinels appear to all have significant grey in them, but it''s worth keeping a watch out. This is the stone that changed my mind about spinels since I was so disenchanted by all the overly grey and/or brown and/or extinct specimens I have seen. I also purchased some other spinels from that seller, but they did have significant grey in them. They are nicely cut though and do sparkle and have some pretty flashes of color in fluorescent lighting.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Merc, lordy how could I have forgotten Big Blue??? Duh, that has to be the stone he was referring to. That ring is so gorgeous..I think I might need to wander over and oogle it some more later! That pink spinel you posted is so pretty-thank you!

TL-thanks for the ebay tip..I''ll keep an eye out. Do you think if I found one big enough Barry could recut it? I don''t know how big it would need to be tho.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2009 11:23:20 AM
Merc, lordy how could I have forgotten Big Blue??? Duh, that has to be the stone he was referring to. That ring is so gorgeous..I think I might need to wander over and oogle it some more later! That pink spinel you posted is so pretty-thank you!

TL-thanks for the ebay tip..I''ll keep an eye out. Do you think if I found one big enough Barry could recut it? I don''t know how big it would need to be tho.
Barry doesn''t do recuts, unless I missed something in this thread in a prior post. It all depends on the stone, but I will tell you that the native cuts on the SriLankaMall stones, while not precisioncut, are still very nice. I have an oval violet spinel that is a dead ringer for MakingTheGrade''s oval in her new pendant, almost identical in color and cutting, and her stones in that pendant are very nice native cuts as well. The one she purchased from Welborn on ebay. I can''t get very good in focus pictures of them, but for the money, they''re nice stones and nice native cuts. Very nice seller as well, who gave me no problems on a refund (returns are to a location the US). My lavender though is just outstanding, and I am planning on setting it. Free S&H too!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the lavender spinel from SriLankaMall next to another ebay spinel (from another seller) I obtained. Although it does have a grey cast in this picture, to my eye IRL there is vitually no grey, and I''m very very sensitive to grey.

It changes color to pink in certain lighting. The inclusions are not distracting at all, and as you can see, the native cut is very nice. No windows, and lots of sparkle off the facets. Pictures don''t really do it justice.

It sometimes goes between colors (they bleed into each other) in various lighting, where it''s pink and lavender at the same time. That is really cool to look at, but it''s very hard to capture a picture of that.

TLspinelslavenderpink2.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tl-thanks for the pictures! I *thought* that was the lavender you were talking about but wasn''t sure!

This is for my new engagement ring, so I''m a bit nervous to pick a stone myself..tho I''ve been having fun since you mentioned ebay, browsing the wares!

Oh decisions decisions!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2009 11:49:13 AM
Tl-thanks for the pictures! I *thought* that was the lavender you were talking about but wasn't sure!

This is for my new engagement ring, so I'm a bit nervous to pick a stone myself..tho I've been having fun since you mentioned ebay, browsing the wares!

Oh decisions decisions!!
I did get another round lavender spinel from ebay in a round, but the color on this cushion is better. The other one is precision faceted though, and very pretty, but not as pure in color as this one. I wish you good luck on finding the lavender spinel of your dreams. Ebay is a good source, but if you do find one on ebay, make sure you post a picture first so we can tell you what's "wrong with the picture."

Maybe swalagemtraders has some nice lavender spinel. You should check with Eric and tell him it's for an e-ring so you want something special.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL! I''ll go check them out. Are they on ebay too, or just a regular web site?

Yep, if I do happen to find something on ebay, I would definitely post a picture and ask for help! It''s going in a full bezel, so I don''t want anything too dark-I just don''t have the eye yet for how dark is too dark!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2009 2:51:21 PM
Thanks TL! I''ll go check them out. Are they on ebay too, or just a regular web site?

Yep, if I do happen to find something on ebay, I would definitely post a picture and ask for help! It''s going in a full bezel, so I don''t want anything too dark-I just don''t have the eye yet for how dark is too dark!
Swalagemtraders.com is a reputable firm out of Africa. The owner, Eric Saul, specializes in textbook perfect Mahenge spinels and tsavorites.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''ll go check them out later today-thanks TL!

I''ve looked up all kinds of variations of the color I can think of on ebay-lavender, lilac, violet, purple, and blue. Found some pretty colors, but not cushion..found cushions, not the right color..still, some of them have videos in the listings and they''re fun to look at. I''ve put a few on my watch list at any rate!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should email Eric Saul of Swala and tell him exactly what you're looking for, and stress you're from Pricescope and that you are looking for a stone with as little grey as possible, the size and shape. He doesn't have everything listed on his site.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo I did it! Who on here has stones from them that I might look at? Do they do chunky facets?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Megeve just got two sugarloaves from him. See the "sugarloaves" thread, and Chrono has a beautifully faceted gorgeous tsavorite from him. Harriet has purchased stones from him as well.

ETA: If Eric does reserve something for you, ask him to take additional pictures, and you can show them to PS for advice.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Merc! Maybe I''ll try contacting a couple other cutters too and see what they have!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you happen to see this necklace on DB? Is it similar to what you''re looking for?

Link

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results