shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1413200813|3766370 said:
Here are a couple/the best ones I could capture from the videos. It seems the stone always looks the same, so Freke I'd say this is probably what it looks like on a regular basis. I agree that it looks to be on the darker side and not too well cut. I wasn't sure if it was even worth seeing in-person based upon these images. So far I'm leaning toward no.

I know gray isn't desirable in sapphires but I'm actually okay with that.
In more green colors, gray is pretty prevalent. It's the pure blue sapphires where gray really should probably be avoided. Montanas especially tend to have strong doses of gray, so just be aware of that!

S

SparkliesLuver

Good clarification, Freke. Thank you.

I'm anxious to hear from the vendor cutting the rough. Hopefully he has good news for me soon!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1413217779|3766466 said:
SparkliesLuver|1413200813|3766370 said:
Here are a couple/the best ones I could capture from the videos. It seems the stone always looks the same, so Freke I'd say this is probably what it looks like on a regular basis. I agree that it looks to be on the darker side and not too well cut. I wasn't sure if it was even worth seeing in-person based upon these images. So far I'm leaning toward no.

I know gray isn't desirable in sapphires but I'm actually okay with that.
In more green colors, gray is pretty prevalent. It's the pure blue sapphires where gray really should probably be avoided. Montanas especially tend to have strong doses of gray, so just be aware of that!

I really don't mind a blue sapphire with some grey in it, if its light toned enough, but yes, green sapphires with grey, are just not as aesthetically pleasing to me, but some people like them.

So for example, here's a blue sapphire that has some grey in it, but its light in tone and very pretty IMO. Almost all blue sapphires have some grey, unless you get a vivid stone that will run $$$$$$$.

s2.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for the example, TL. Seeing something always helps me.

Here are some new stones! One is an aquamarine and the others are tourmaline. Decisions, decisions. I threw in the aquamarine because something about it just kept calling my name. Is it too light though?

The vendor who cut the Montana sapphire did finish and it was slightly smaller than he had hoped but it did finish at 9.11 x 7.25 mm, so not bad at all. But it's silky. He's debating heating it but then you never know what the final color will be. I'll hold off on posting pictures of that until he and I decide something.

aqua.png

tourmaline_2.jpg

tourmaline_3.jpg

tourmaline_4.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Here are two others up for consideration, but I think the first will be too small. I don't have dimensions or anything yet for these. I should have them this morning. I couldn't wait to post pictures though. :oops:

tourmaline_5.jpg

tourmaline_6.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aqua
These are typically light in tone. Bright ones are rare and expensive so I don't know if an aquamarine will be the right gem type for you. That said, the cutting is very pretty although asschers do not concentrate colour well for CS.

Tourmaline
Nothing spectacular but not bad either. I think they either speak to you or they don't. You mentioned some silk but they are not apparent on my monitor. I am curious to see and find out more about that last rectangular tourmaline.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
Aqua
These are typically light in tone. Bright ones are rare and expensive so I don't know if an aquamarine will be the right gem type for you. That said, the cutting is very pretty although asschers do not concentrate colour well for CS.

Tourmaline
Nothing spectacular but not bad either. I think they either speak to you or they don't. You mentioned some silk but they are not apparent on my monitor. I am curious to see and find out more about that last rectangular tourmaline.

Thanks for the thoughts, Chrono! Although I'll probably pass on the aqua, I still thought it was pretty. :)

I feel the same way about the tourmalines. There are a couple I'm curious about, so I'm anxious to get the descriptions. You want to see and find out more about the last one - are you referring to tourmaline 6? Oh, sorry. There isn't silk on these. I was talking about a Montana sapphire that a vendor cut. I didn't post pictures of it. I'm also talking with Dana about some neon blue-green tourmaline.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of extinction in both tourmalines, and nothing special.

Aquas have a very low RI, and aren't very brilliant. Pale ones also get dirty easily, and tend to look cloudy.

S

SparkliesLuver

TL said:

Aquas have a very low RI, and aren't very brilliant. Pale ones also get dirty easily, and tend to look cloudy.

All 5 tourmaline images I posted are different stones. I'm curious about one, the more I look, but I'm not overly jazzed. I asked a friend who knows a lot about aquas and she basically said what you just said. So, I'll pass.

I just got done talking with Dana. I've described what I want and he said he's going to make it happen, whether he gets something from Paul or cuts the rough himself. I have to admit that I'm quite excited. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1413467201|3767901 said:
TL said:

All 5 tourmaline images I posted are different stones. I'm curious about one, the more I look, but I'm not overly jazzed. I asked a friend who knows a lot about aquas and she basically said what you just said. So, I'll pass.

I just got done talking with Dana. I've described what I want and he said he's going to make it happen, whether he gets something from Paul or cuts the rough himself. I have to admit that I'm quite excited. :)

Oh sorry, I only saw the last two for some odd reason. All of those tourmalines all still have the same cutting issues. I know you like well cut gems, so the extinction may bother you. If the third and fifth tourmaline were cut better, they would be very pretty. They have nice open color, even though slightly greyish.

S

SparkliesLuver

TL said:
Oh sorry, I only saw the last two for some odd reason. All of those tourmalines all still have the same cutting issues. I know you like well cut gems, so the extinction may bother you. If the third and fifth tourmaline were cut better, they would be very pretty. They have nice open color, even though slightly greyish.

That's alright. No worries at all.

Yes, they do; that's exactly how I feel. She said (before sending pictures) that they're all precision cut, so I was excited. :???:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are different cut qualities of precision cutting, so just because a stone is precision cut doesn't mean that it is guaranteed to wow.

S

SparkliesLuver

And that's exactly what I'm learning, Chrono.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1413467667|3767906 said:
TL said:

That's alright. No worries at all.

Yes, they do; that's exactly how I feel. She said (before sending pictures) that they're all precision cut, so I was excited. :???:

They might have some recutting on them, but there's no way those are fully precision cut stones.

I've seen way too many native cuts that look identical.

Chrono is also right that just because a stone is native cut, it can still not wow. I once bought a fully precision cut stone with horrible half/half extinction, so there's an example right there. A stone can be a great native cut, or a horrible precision cut, one must need to judge the stone on its own merits.

S

SparkliesLuver

I don't think there's any recutting on them. Yeah, I've seen some native cuts that look similar, too. This is actually what she said about them: "These tourmalines are a brand new discovery from a mine in East Africa. The location of the mine isn't even being disclosed yet, and only about 100 of these stones have been cut so far! The secrecy of the mine and the limited number of cut stones make these extremely rare. Not to mention, the stones are precision cut and flawless."

I'd like to see two of them in person (#4 and #6) but I don't know if I'd want to pay the "inflated" prices because of what she stated above. :confused:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1413474447|3767966 said:
I don't think there's any recutting on them. Yeah, I've seen some native cuts that look similar, too. This is actually what she said about them: "These tourmalines are a brand new discovery from a mine in East Africa. The location of the mine isn't even being disclosed yet, and only about 100 of these stones have been cut so far! The secrecy of the mine and the limited number of cut stones make these extremely rare. Not to mention, the stones are precision cut and flawless."

I'd like to see two of them in person (#4 and #6) but I don't know if I'd want to pay the "inflated" prices because of what she stated above. :confused:

I've heard that same story about the "secret mine" in order to get people to pay inflated prices. I would ignore that, and again, judge them on their own merits.

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, really? Hm. I don't know how I feel about that - if I want to continue to do business with a vendor like that. Thank you for telling me, TL.

S

SparkliesLuver

I've decided to pass on all of the above (and working with that vendor).

I'm going to focus on working with Dana and the other vendor who has cut some Montana sapphire rough.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that those tourmalines are nothing special and pleased that Dana is on the hunt for you.

OTOH... have you seen this over at Gemfix? It's a spinel so my guess is it will be sparklier in hand but you could ring and ask.

screen_shot_2014-10-17_at_9.png

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for pointing out that one, Starzin. I've wondered about it but never asked, so I emailed them last night.

I've eyed their Montana sapphire 422 for quite some time but never purchased because it's too small. But someone recently did! I truly hope it's a PSer because I'd love to see additional pictures of it. They have several others that I like too but they're all on the smaller side.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue spinels are a tricky one to shop for; many have a lot of extinction, tend to be on the dark and/or green side, and love to gray out indoors. The bright medium blues are rare and very expensive. ;(

S

SparkliesLuver

That's what I thought, Chrono, which is why I haven't even been looking for them. My search is pretty much tourmaline and sapphire, at this point. But I'll see what Laura has to say about this one when they return, if it's still available.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I'd bother with that spinel. I think it's a lot darker than what you've been leaning towards so far. ETA: it won't be that sparkly since it is a darker tone. For whatever reason, lighter toned spinels sparkle more.

I also don't like the tourms closer to the top of the page, so I'm glad you're passing on them! (Gosh, what terrible photography too!)

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Freke. I appreciate you chiming in about that spinel. Oh, and I didn't realize how bad the tourmaline photos were either until I saw similar ones from Yvonne.

I feel like all of my leg work is finally paying off; I have an exciting update! :dance: And I need your opinions, please. I'd also welcome your thought process on how to decide.

These two stones are pretty much what I've been searching for. They're both the same size (which is my ideal size), about the same price, yet different stones and different colors. :love: How to decide since it's like comparing apples to oranges?!

The first is an Afghan tourmaline. Not this exact stone but one will be cut just like it from the same rough.

The second is a Cambodian zircon. This is the exact stone.

For those who have been around a bit, please do not mention the vendors. I know many of you will know who they are by the photography, but I'd be deeply saddened and upset if these were purchased from under me. (Although, neither are online so that helps).

tourmaline.png

_23431.jpg

_23432.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Afghan Tourmaline!!! He will hold the stone if you ask and his stones move quickly so ask NOW.

S

SparkliesLuver

hehe Thank you, Chrono. :) He and I spoke several times yesterday and he will basically be cutting the stone for me within the next week or two. Do I still need to ask him to hold it? I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I can email him now. Hopefully I don't come across as some weirdo. hehe :naughty:

ETA: Done. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Done as in "he's putting the stone on hold" for you? If so, I can NOT wait to see the end result. :dance:

S

SparkliesLuver

It's actually not cut yet. He said he would cut a piece of the rough for me within the next couple weeks, so I assume that it's already on hold/reserved for me. However, to make doubly sure, I emailed him this morning and asked if he could hold it for me. So hopefully I'm good now. :)

I can't wait either! I feel like this is the closest I've come to the whole package!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Chrono, go for the Afghan tourmaline. Blue zircons are not particularly rare, but nice Afghan material is getting harder and harder to come by.

Good luck with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results