shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

haha I know. You're telling me! I keep looking at the clock. Might have to sneak out a few minutes early. The suspense is killing me!

Whoa. Now that's a statement ring! haha I'm sure Starzin would agree that even for us that'd be huge! ;-) Yeah, I'm not sure what the chances are of finding matching melee because I imagine it'd be 50+ individual stones. I know that all depends on size, but you get my point. I'm excited to start playing around with colors, but then I keep reminding myself I haven't even seen the cab yet! :lol: But how could I not love it, right?! :o

S

SparkliesLuver

Until I have time to start a new thread an post a lot more...

What do you think? I've never seen one in person.

img_5692.jpg

img_5693.jpg

img_5694.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How accurate are your pictures? It looks clean enough for a cabochon (no dark or obvious stuff) and it has very good watery translucency.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1412372627|3761657 said:
How accurate are your pictures? It looks clean enough for a cabochon (no dark or obvious stuff) and it has very good watery translucency.

I agree. Lovely gem. Now put it on a penny so we can what it might look like on colored metal. :naughty:

What do you think of it? Does it knock your socks off, do you love it?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that moonstone halo is a honker even for us!

I like it too - it's obviously going to look different as the light hits it from different sides but it doesn't seem to disappoint in the neon department.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see Mochiko's beautiful ring from Sally? If you decide to keep the stone, this ring exemplifies why I love cool and warm stones together, and paraibas in rose gold. Look at her stone pop in that pink sapphire halo in RG!!

icm_fullxfull_31.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver said:
Until I have time to start a new thread an post a lot more...

What do you think? I've never seen one in person.
Looks quite delicious to me (that glow and color!) , but obviously it depends on what YOU think. And photos can never be as accurate as seeing the gem in your hand.

Having said that, I'll take it if you don't want it [emoji16] [emoji16] [emoji13] [emoji13]

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, everyone. Sorry for being a ghost over the weekend. It was a weekend of big decisions and I didn't take them lightly.

I've decided to send back the 3 zircons from Prima and the paraiba. The zircons weren't well-cut enough and the paraiba, although lovely, made me realize I want a faceted stone. I played around with diamond melee as a halo at the gem show (since I took all the stones with me), and I thought that might satisfy my sparkly desire but it didn't.

Please don't hate me for returning something so lovely and desirable. :oops: I emailed Adam this morning and told him the news. So if anyone else is interested, it'll be available again soon.

TL and Chrono: thank you so much for all your design suggestions (and hints ;-) ). I really appreciate it. Sorry to get everyone all excited only to be let down. My pictures were actually very true to what I was seeing IRL.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver,

Only you can decide if you love/like a stone or not, as it is your money that you will be spending. ;-)

Do not compromise until you find the stone that takes your breathe away I'd say.

DK :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver,
Cabs are gorgeous, and I have a new appreciation for them. I suspect if the color on Adam's cab was more neon, it might have been a keeper, but in the end, you have to buy what you love. I think cabs are great for paraibas because many of them are so included, the sparkle factor is lost in a stone. To find a very clean and neon faceted paraiba is very expensive. It's really difficult in this day and age to find a super neon paraiba without spending a literal fortune. I am glad though that you decided not to waste your money on something you didn't love, and you're going to use it on something that knocks your socks off. Good for you. I see so many people sticking with mediocre stones, or stones they just don't love, because they're afraid to return them. I'm glad you also bought from reputable vendors with rock solid return policies.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, DK. I appreciate your kind words. :)

TL, thank you. Cabs are a good way to go for a paraiba since, like you said, they're usually included and wouldn't have much sparkle in a faceted stone anyway. That's why I had so much hope! But I don't have a fortune to spend. ;-) I really did debate keeping it since I love the color (albeit only a bit neon), but deep down I knew when it didn't knock my socks off that it wasn't worth keeping.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1412600506|3762864 said:
Thank you, DK. I appreciate your kind words. :)

TL, thank you. Cabs are a good way to go for a paraiba since, like you said, they're usually included and wouldn't have much sparkle in a faceted stone anyway. That's why I had so much hope! But I don't have a fortune to spend. ;-) I really did debate keeping it since I love the color (albeit only a bit neon), but deep down I knew when it didn't knock my socks off that it wasn't worth keeping.

Good for you for listening to your instinct. :) Keep on looking, there will be THE one for you out there.. :)

In the meantime, just want to show you there are "plenty of fish in the sea" and all that. Here's a photo of some paraibas and cuprians from a gem show a couple of weeks ago (apology for the terrible photos). :cheeky: :cheeky:

uploadfromtaptalk1411120412903.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1411120402093.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What gem show was that?

You can find cuprians in a lighter color, faceted, and they're a very pretty option. This is the kind of color I'm talking about that's really beautiful in cab form, but usually very expensive, often highly included, and unattainable for the mere mortal. Were there any faceted ones there that color, clean? If so, I would love to know how much per carat. I would also want an AGL report as they're often clarity enhanced. Thanks for posting that.

paraiba_0.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sparklies-
It's alright to return them all, really it is. It's you who has to wear and enjoy it. If it doesn't float your boat, as the saying goes, then keep looking and don't let impatience get the better of you.

Mochiko-
Wow! Never mind where the show was... who were the vendors? :lol:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apologies for the thread jack.. Here some a few more photos. It was the HK trade show. There were a few booths with some amazing glowing Paraiba but I didn't manage to get photos of those ones unfortunately .. The quality and size really varied from so-so melee to cabs to huge faceted doorstop sized gems. There were just too many booths with Paraiba and cuprian it was a bit overwhelming. You would really have to sift through a lot of junk if you're on a holy grail search. At least one aisle of Brazilian vendors who specialized in paraiba then you also had countless Indian CS vendors too. I do still have the catalog so can try to dig up some vendor names if you like.

uploadfromtaptalk1412605847502.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412605896562.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1412605939227.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a feeling that was an Asian gem show. They go nuts for paraibas over there, and you often see more offerings, and they get the highest prices over there as well.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'll take the cushion in the front please :love:

It would be great if you could throw us a few more vendors that have websites with paraiba eye candy.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt ask about pricing for Paraibas but I wasn't that impressed by pricing for spinel, sapphire, etc for the general quality of gems (mostly native cut) on offer. I might go check out the November show to see if the pricing is better.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver,
Don't ever feel bad for returning a stone that isn't right for you. Ever! It's okay, we will continue to help you as long as you are willing to put up with us. :))

Starzin,
Move over, let me reach in front of you for that cushion Paraiba. :whistle:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for all the "eye candy," Mochiko! Thread jack all you want with pictures like that. haha ;-)

Thanks, Starzin. You always know what to say!

There's no "putting up with," Chrono. haha If anything, it's the other way around! I'm proud to be a PS member, and I can't thank all of you enough for your advice.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hugs! You WILL find the one. Sometimes it just takes time!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy hunting for your dream stone :wavey:
It's really good that will not settle for anything less than your ideal. It might take some time but I am convinced your stone is waiting for you to be found and cherished. I so understand that you want a faceted stone despite the beauty of the cab. Been there...
With the help of the PSers experienced you will be nicely enabled :naughty:

All the best sparkliesluver :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One day, I shall get myself an oval Paraiba Tourmaline, to be set in a cigar band type setting flanked by two pink side stones. In the meantime, I just ogle at the gorgeous pics posted by everyone else.

DK :))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1412614333|3762991 said:
Starzin,
Move over, let me reach in front of you for that cushion Paraiba. :whistle:
Oi!! *slaps cheeky Chono's wrist out of the way* Sheeesh... some people! Please get in line behind me Miss! :lol:

S

SparkliesLuver

I appreciate the hug, Freke. :) Thank you. I took a deep breath when I shipped everything last night. Today is a new day! :D

Thank you, Acinom. I figured you would understand. I'm convinced it's out there too!

Update: I have one vendor who is cutting a large piece of green-blue Montana rough this week, and another vendor said they just received a parcel of precision cut African blue-green tourmalines. There might still be hope for this week yet! ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1412682778|3763526 said:
Update: I have one vendor who is cutting a large piece of green-blue Montana rough this week, and another vendor said they just received a parcel of precision cut African blue-green tourmalines. There might still be hope for this week yet! ;-)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :pray:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Chrono. That's sweet! I'll be sure to give another update as soon as I know anything.

S

SparkliesLuver

Received this hand shot from a different vendor this morning. I know it's not precision cut with a bunch of facets but the color does seem to be there. It's an Afghani tourmaline that hasn't been heated and the size is great. You can see a couple inclusions from the back. Decisions, decisions! I'll probably wait until I hear from the other two vendors I mentioned above before doing anything. But, as always, I welcome your thoughts.

_23021.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I quite like that! Different... and in a good way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...I'd wait on the other one first. I don't mind different but this one isn't speaking to me. What do you think? Do you like this colour and cut?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results