shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

Starzin, I'm almost afraid of what you're going to find. hahaha :naughty: Inspiration is great though.

I'm definitely open to a cab. I love the look of them and their durability. But alas, I haven't truly looked for one so I'd basically be starting at square one.

Would anyone recommend a cab over a faceted stone? Especially considering what color range I'm after. Or I can just look at both along my journey and see what pops up.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm... my favourite blue cab is gem silica but they're hard to find. Try Africa Gems or Google image it and back track.

gem-silica-chrysocolla-richardwise.png

gem-silica-pear-how.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cabs and faceted stones are very different. Even if the colour is identical, the "look" is completely different with faceted being sparkly and cab being dreamy (with good translucency).

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The JuliaB (etsy) montana with blue diamond halo and there is a link to a video in her decsription.

By the way... I've just been recognised as a charity case and been awarded $1.2mill - I'll buy you whatever you want :bigsmile:

You have been awarded the sum of $1,200,000.00 as charity donation from
the "Qatar Foundation" in conjunction with the Government of U.S.A/AFRICAN
UNION ANTI FRAUD/POVERTY ERADICATION PROGRAM by the UK goverment Awarding
the total sun of $1,000,000.00 to you.Our aims is to raise the living
standards of people across the world,
maintain and enhance economic
stability, and contribute to the progress and development across the
continents.Kindly respond to this message to enable us further with the
clearance of your awards.

montana-w-blue-dia-halo-wh-dia-halo-juliab.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Starzin: Thank you for including some info about your favorite. :) I can see why you refer to it as such. And the JuliaB info is much appreciated. That ring is definitely more on the classic side. I'm not sure how classic I want to go. Goodness, so many decisions. I started out basically wanting a solitaire but now I'm not so sure. Granted, I need to find a stone first.

haha Great news about the case! I shall contact Yavorskyy! ;-)

Chrono: They are very different, you're right. Although I like cabs, I think I want something sparkly for this project. Maybe my next one will be more on the dreamy side.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
It's the translucent one in the pendant that I lust after and in fact Richard's doesn't immediately speak to me as most of these do.

haha Great news about the case! I shall contact Yavorskyy! ;-)

:lol: :lol: :dance: :dance: :lol: :lol:

S

SparkliesLuver

Have you looked at Abhik's? You probably know more than me, but I'm drooling over these. Is this what they're supposed to look like? Are these for real?
http://arvindkatira.blogspot.com/

hehe Thought you'd like that comment. ;-)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
myself said:
Try Africa Gems

I meant ajsgems who always seems to have loads of the stuff in blue and green - but yes, I understand you want a sparkly one. I just wanted to correct the info for anyone who does get taken with it ;))

Yes I've seen Abhik's facebook page before - I'll go look at his blog. Yes they are for real :bigsmile: Take a look at AJSgems

S

SparkliesLuver

Ah, okay. I'll have a gander anyway. ;-) No, that's okay! I'm glad you did.

Why are there so many good choices?! :wall:

S

SparkliesLuver

I hate to say this, but I think I'd rather save my funds and wait. Although sometimes I probably come across as jumpy, I really am quite patient.

Thank you for asking though!

S

SparkliesLuver

I have to share because I'm quite excited. :love: I realize this exact design only leaves me to find a cushion center stone, but I could go the custom route if I were to find something else.

This would be amazing with a colored stone center, different color halo and then another color for all the rest of the intertwining band work. Or would that be too much? Maybe just two colors? Not sure. I'd have to have one of my designer friends do a mock-up in Photoshop. :D I'm a visual person.

What do you think of the design? Anyone out there have something similar?

_22216.jpg

_22217.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could do that with pretty much any shape of stone. Ones with curved edges would probably be preferable since the ring has so many curves, so round, oval, cushion would probably work best. I can see it working, but how much is your total budget for this project? A setting with that much melee will probably climb quickly just due to setting fees.

S

SparkliesLuver

As soon as I posted it, I thought about budget. So that's a great question! I'd have to talk it over with DH if I were to seriously consider this route. The overall budget would probably be around $5k, so I'm not sure if that'd be possible. Granted, I could modify it - not have as much going on and only have the melee come down a little on the sides. Not sure.

This is probably getting in over my head. But I saw the design and immediately loved it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, there are lots of options for something similar. It seems to have roughly three halo type structures, but only one is visible from face down. Let me see if I have anything similar in my jewelry inspiration folder.

One thing to keep in mind is that stones will appear bigger once they are set, and halos add to that overall larger aesthetic. You don't seem shy about it being big though, so not too worried on that front!

emerald_ring_stockdale.jpg

solomon_brothers_twist_ring.jpg

_22227.jpg

k9ring2.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you! I like all of your examples except the second one. Maybe it's the prongs. I've seen the third one somewhere but I can't put my finger on it. Etsy, probably.

I'm not sure if I'd want more visible from the top down or if I'd be okay with that much being "hidden," so to speak. If I were to go with something like this, I'd probably scale down my center stone size to maybe 8mm? haha Although I don't mind size, I am conscious about it being gaudy.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Love the last one Freke :love: Did K9 actually use that setting?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starzin|1410486340|3749449 said:
Love the last one Freke :love: Did K9 actually use that setting?
No idea! I saved most of my inspiration pics years ago....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting is going to kill your budget. A simple very well done single sided halo (ERD cast level) with ideal cut melees down the shank in platinum is going to be $3K alone. Making it a double halo with additional twists is likely to bring it up to $4K thereabouts. The Etsy group can probably do it for less but the level of workmanship will be different.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
The setting is going to kill your budget. A simple very well done single sided halo (ERD cast level) with ideal cut melees down the shank in platinum is going to be $3K alone. Making it a double halo with additional twists is likely to bring it up to $4K thereabouts. The Etsy group can probably do it for less but the level of workmanship will be different.

I had a feeling that something like this would. I spoke with DH about it last night and he told me to focus on finding the right stone. Once that happens, we can revisit the budget for the whole ring. I think he's right. Although I have some inspiration (and different ideas) for the setting, I do need to focus on finding "the" stone first.

Update: I'm talking with a vendor who has a large piece of Australian sapphire rough and he thinks it might work for me. He says it seems to have that teal blue-green I'm looking for (and not too dark) but he wants to do some trimming and grinding first and then send me pictures. Needless to say, I'm hopeful. I also have a phone call with Logan today from H. Bosch about some of his tourmaline rough. Jerry said he'd gladly cut something for me and gave me some questions to ask Logan. So we'll see! :) I figure, if nothing else, this is learning at its best.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Starzin|1410449304|3749037 said:
myself said:
Try Africa Gems

I meant ajsgems who always seems to have loads of the stuff in blue and green - but yes, I understand you want a sparkly one. I just wanted to correct the info for anyone who does get taken with it ;))

Yes I've seen Abhik's facebook page before - I'll go look at his blog. Yes they are for real :bigsmile: Take a look at AJSgems

Has anyone purchased from Abhik? How do we do that?

S

SparkliesLuver

Obviously I haven't, but I sent him an email. Haven't heard back yet though. That's the only way I see of doing it. Others with more info, please chime in!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sparklies said:
I had a feeling that something like this would. I spoke with DH about it last night and he told me to focus on finding the right stone. Once that happens, we can revisit the budget for the whole ring. I think he's right. Although I have some inspiration (and different ideas) for the setting, I do need to focus on finding "the" stone first.

What a good idea :bigsmile: It doesn't hurt to keep looking to refine your ideas though ;))

Update: I'm talking with a vendor who has a large piece of Australian sapphire rough and he thinks it might work for me. He says it seems to have that teal blue-green I'm looking for (and not too dark) but he wants to do some trimming and grinding first and then send me pictures. Needless to say, I'm hopeful.

Unfortunately, I'm not - hopeful that is. Australian jewellers are full of OZ sapphires - it's mostly what is served up here and they all look as dark as Diana/Kate's :cry: The green ones can be a better green than most other origins, the trick is to get one big enough that isn't muddied by another colour i.e. the pair of radiant pics near the top in the link, although seemingly pretty, are lit for a glamour shot and will be very dark in hand as you can see by the darker green areas. In order to have some realistic expectations of what might be presented please have a good look at this Google page and if you think "ooh that's nice" make sure you click for the larger picture and ensure it IS an Aussie sapphire. Here's another representative selection sapphire dealer

I also have a phone call with Logan today from H. Bosch about some of his tourmaline rough. Jerry said he'd gladly cut something for me and gave me some questions to ask Logan. So we'll see! :) I figure, if nothing else, this is learning at its best.

:appl: Now this has distinct possibilites! And yes, we're all learning with you :))

S

SparkliesLuver

Starzin: I completely agree. I think it's fun to look at settings, too. So I'm sure I'll still do both even though he said to focus on the stone. hehe :naughty:

I did know that Australian sapphires are usually darker, which was why I was hesitant. But he said he'd do a bit of work on the rough at no obligation to me, so I figured why not. Plus I showed him pictures that I found too dark (of faceted stones) and he said it was looking good. He said he bought the rough directly from the guy who mined it in the 90's. If I can, I'll post pictures of the rough once he sends them to me. As always, I'd love opinions.

Talking with Logan was great. What a nice guy! We tossed out the one I initially called about and I'm now focusing on two others. After more discussion with Jerry, he wanted me to ask some additional things. So I emailed Logan last night. We'll see what comes of that. I have to admit, I've admired the first sapphire on this page that he cut for a PSer. Sorry, her name escapes me right now. I wish I could find out where she got the rough! Gorgeous.
http://www.gemartservices.com/newstuff.htm

I found this last night. I really like the color (if that's what it actually looks like).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calming-Sea-Foam-Green-Tourmaline-Octagon-7-Carat-Near-Loupe-Clean-Namibia-/121089077326?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item1c3178b04e

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my favorite green jewelry suite (for inspiration purposes) :mrgreen::mrgreen::lol:

uploadfromtaptalk1410626283895.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1410626355886.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1410536533|3749741 said:
Obviously I haven't, but I sent him an email. Haven't heard back yet though. That's the only way I see of doing it. Others with more info, please chime in!
Let us know how it goes.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sparklies
I would definitely follow up on the Wilds-Global one - they have a reputation for very high end stuff though I can't speak for accuracy of colour in pictures. Picture below for posterity.

It's good that you know Aussie sapphires are so dark.. I just didn't want you to have false expectations :)) Alternatively, It would be great if you could get rough for Jerry to cut for you - wow!

I had a further look at Abhik and discovered it's a cooperative - https://www.facebook.com/abhikgemsilica
and
https://www.facebook.com/arvind.katira
We are multiple mineral miners and deal with Rocks, Minerals, Lapidary, Collectibles, Fossils, Gems, Jewelry, Suiseki and Biseki.

However neither of them has a link to where you can buy the gems so I do hope someone answers your email.

Mochiko - what an amazing conglomeration of green! Inspiring indeed.

ETA: forgot to attach the stone

tourm-namibia-7ct-2747usd-wilds-ebay-set2014.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

mochiko42: Wow! Talk about inspiration in pure form. ;-) Thank you for posting!

preg: Still haven't heard anything. Not looking too good.

Starzin: Thank you for commenting about WG - I hadn't heard of them before. I emailed them last night (as there are several goodies on their site that caught my eye) and they said they'd get back to me upon their return from the Hong Kong show.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, everyone. Here's an update:

The piece of Australian sapphire rough that I was "waiting on" was cut last night. The color is gorgeous but the faceted stone was smaller than he hoped. He guessed around 9mm but ended up with 7.35mm. I'm bummed, but I know that's how this process goes. I can't wait for it to be listed though because I'm sure it'll make someone very happy!

I'm still waiting to hear from Wilds and Prima.

I've decided to pass on the rough I was considering from H.B. because it's too included for the price.

I'm in contact with a new (to me) vendor who has two pieces of tourmaline rough. I'm discussing them with Jerry today, so I'll get his thoughts and make a decision. One seems to have the color but not the size, while the other has the size and a bit darker color. Isn't that how it always goes?! :wall:

Oh, and Trudy from Gem Hunters is on the lookout for me. She's found 4 faceted stones that just didn't quite fit the bill. She said she has more up her sleeve though.

All-in-all, my education is coming along and I'm hopeful. :read:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry about the stone being that small. A difference of 2 mm is significant. Any idea what happened? He had to cut around an inclusion or colour center?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results