shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin: I checked out the zircon and unfortunately the video was underwhelming. :| I appreciate the mention though!

No problem. Can't wait for you to get the Litnon and hope it's a keeper :))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to stop looking till the Litnon arrived but I just found this so I'll just throw it in here for consideration. Any interest? :Up_to_something:

Precision cut tourmaline a bit more than budget. Ginormous for anybody else, and in fact large even for us!

precision-toum.png

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm definitely intrigued! Please tell me more. I can't tell the vendor from the photo unfortunately.

I'm open to anything at this point because I want to find "the one."

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
The description says-

weight: 6.46 cts
size: 13.6 x11.5 x 6.7 mm cushion
color: medium light tone green blue
clarity: SI very minor inclusions not detrimental to the beauty of this gemstone.
origin: Mozambique

...but as you can see the pictures show two quite different colours, both of which I think are attractive, so might be worth an enquiry?

http://www.pristinegemstonejewelry....ver-6-carats-very-clean-rare-color-gemstone-l

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Starzin!

Do you see a window or is it just me? I was on the fence before the video but the video didn't do a whole lot for me. The color didn't seem to be very saturated at all. It might also be my phone - I'm not near my computer.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Gah! I didn't even see the video link!

No, no window or at least a minimal tilt window only to be expected in a stone this large. I think this is a stone well worth inspecting if you're up for it, because what we're seeing in the video is a mix of the two colours in the stills as he moves it.

ETA: Given the still on his hand, I think it would also look more like that once set, yet given the elbaite content would retain the lighter sparkles.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha That's okay. You found it! ;-)

I like the color the best in the hand shot, so that's good to know. It could be a tilt window, you're right. And it is a huge stone. :appl: I'll definitely have to look at it tomorrow on my computer.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I do wish he had held it closer to the camera though 'cos it won't be a lot bigger on your computer! :bigsmile:

S

SparkliesLuver

Just found the stone on his Etsy shop. It's listed for $3,750!

I like it but I'll have to see how Litnon plays out, and I'm still quite interested to hear from the other two vendors.

All the decisions and choices. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

Starzin said:
I do wish he had held it closer to the camera though 'cos it won't be a lot bigger on your computer! :bigsmile:

haha I wish that about all his videos. They're so far away. I've asked about another stone of his (awhile ago) and the video was about the same. For some reason he doesn't get close on anything. :???: Drives me batty.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1410054853|3746227 said:
Just found the stone on his Etsy shop. It's listed for $3,750!

I like it but I'll have to see how Litnon plays out, and I'm still quite interested to hear from the other two vendors.

All the decisions and choices. :)

Woah! :o I'm just now having a look over there. My only reservation about the Litnon is that it could be very dark with only the occasional flash of bright colour, but we will have to see when you get it in hand.

Rogerio also has these two in your size, don't know why the indicolite is so inexpensive-
http://www.pristinegemstonejewelry....lity-mozambique-paraiba-look-alike-tourmaline
[url=http://www.pristinegemstoneje...ype-tourmaline-oval-shape-for-engagement-ring[/url]

He also has a sapphire on etsy, but not so clean-
https://www.etsy.com/listing/187966876/blue-green-sapphire-450-carats-oval?ref=shop_home_active_12

... and I haven't finished looking yet! He does seem to have a few large stones though and the inventory on his site and etsy are not the same.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Whoa is right. I don't know why but none of those are doing anything for me. :( I appreciate you posting them though.

I too am concerned that the Litnon might be too dark. But I had to order it just in-case. It should arrive today, so I hope to pick it up from the post office on my way home. :D

I contacted Rough2Refined yesterday and Cathy might have something. She said she'd get back to me this week. In the meantime, check out this stone. Scroll down a bit as it's the second stone on the page. :love: :drool:

A girl can dream, right? ;-)

http://rough2refinedgemstones.com/cut-gemstones/cathys-collection/traditionally-cut-stones/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1410052155|3746206 said:
Thank you, Starzin!
Do you see a window or is it just me? I was on the fence before the video but the video didn't do a whole lot for me. The color didn't seem to be very saturated at all. It might also be my phone - I'm not near my computer.

I don't think it is windowed, but like most stones with low RI, a tilt window that is easily seen is to be expected. The colour didn't do anything for me either. None of the stones he described as "paraiba lookalike" look even close to one.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
A girl can dream, right? ;-)

That's some tourmaline alright, particularly VVS at that size :shock:

S

SparkliesLuver

I know! I thought the same thing, especially for no treatment. :lickout: If only I had $16k. ;-)

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
I don't think it is windowed, but like most stones with low RI, a tilt window that is easily seen is to be expected. The colour didn't do anything for me either. None of the stones he described as "paraiba lookalike" look even close to one.

I had that same thought, Chrono. I'm glad you agree. Thanks for chiming in!

For some reason, most of his stones don't do a whole lot for me. And it personally bugs me that he never gets close with his photography or videos. I also don't like that he listed the same stone for two very different prices.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen the 2 different pricing scenario often enough to realize that it is oftentimes due to additional fees levied by the hosting website, which the vendors have passed on to the customer.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
I've seen the 2 different pricing often enough to realize that it is oftentimes due to additional fees levied by the hosting website, which the vendors have passed on to the customer.

Ah, okay. I suppose that makes sense.

S

SparkliesLuver

I have the Litnon stone in hand! Should I post here or start a new thread? I would like some opinions.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! What is your opinion about the stone?

S

SparkliesLuver

I actually like it more than I thought I would (based upon the so-so vendor photos).

The size is great. I've determined it's the smallest I want to go. The cut is nothing special (especially compared to the precision cut JuliaB stone) and there is a tilt window. The last photo shows this the best I could capture. Can anyone speak to a tilt window in terms of it not being as noticeable when set? Just wonder about that since I'm pretty unfamiliar.

Now the important part: color. :) It seems to be at its best in natural daylight. That's when I can see blue and green. Note the first picture - this is my favorite. I took some photos in my bathroom at home and the office and it's primarily green to darker green, but just as the vendor said it doesn't go black.

I'd really appreciate your honest thoughts. Thank you!

P.S. I heard from Swala last night. I asked about two of his stones. I'm no longer interested in one based upon pictures and I'm on the fence about another. Just not sure it's worth the price. So now I'm waiting on Cathy and Prima. Prima will be a couple weeks, though.

photo__1_0.png

photo__2_29.jpg

_22140.jpg

_427.png

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the teal green/blue colour in the first pic and the sea green in the third pic. In the second pic it seems darker and there seems to be less sparkle. The finger coverage is a huge plus!

Small windows can sometimes become less obvious in a setting but hopefully the more experienced CS PSers will chime in soon for advice.

S

SparkliesLuver

Acinom said:
I love the teal green/blue colour in the first pic and the sea green in the third pic. In the second pic it seems darker and there seems to be less sparkle. The finger coverage is a huge plus!

You're right on all accounts. :) The stone isn't cut to sparkle, I'd say. That's something I want to take into consideration. However, I love the same two pictures you noted. The stone does get darker but it never seems too dark to my novice eyes...at least not yet. I have more lighting scenarios in mind for it though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you keeping it, or still in your trial period, and you can return it?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Comparing it to the zircon is hard because has a high RI, while tourmaline is low. Also, JuliaB's is precision cut while this one is not. So those two factors really contribute to the tourmaline looking less than stellar. So you're comparing apples and oranges comparing them against each other. A tilt window will look less apparent when it is set, but tilt windows are one of those things that are inevitable when you have a low RI stone such as tourmaline. Also, once it's set, you probably won't be looking at it from such an extreme angle - any stone will look windowed from that angle!

Do you like it?

S

SparkliesLuver

TL: I haven't fully decided yet. I'm still in my trial period, and Michael has graciously extended me more time if I need it (beyond the usual 10 days).

FrekeChild: I know. You're right - it is like comparing apples to oranges. Unfortunately, that's the only other stone I've seen in-person so far. Thank you for making the comment about setting it. I'm sure I won't have it completely flipped to the side when set. ;-)

I do like it. I'm just a tad hesitant and I'm not 100% sure why yet. I have to figure that out. Do you think a precision cut tourmaline would ever sparkle? Or is that a moot point because of the low RI?

For example, I see #21 on Jeff's gallery and wonder how it'd look in comparison (color as well).
http://www.whitesgems.com/tourmalinegallery.html

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1410283260|3747770 said:
FrekeChild: I know. You're right - it is like comparing apples to oranges. Unfortunately, that's the only other stone I've seen in-person so far. Thank you for making the comment about setting it. I'm sure I won't have it completely flipped to the side when set. ;-)

I do like it. I'm just a tad hesitant and I'm not 100% sure why yet. I have to figure that out. Do you think a precision cut tourmaline would ever sparkle? Or is that a moot point because of the low RI?

For example, I see #21 on Jeff's gallery and wonder how it'd look in comparison (color as well).
Yes, precision tourmalines sparkle, but I'm not sure that that is the right term. Tourmaline will never sparkle the same way high RI stones do. Diamonds, garnets, spinels, zircons and sapphires will all throw off colored sparks while tourmaline, topaz and beryl don't have the same effect really, and have more white light return.

I have a few videos posted to my youtube channel with multiple types of gems in the same lighting situations if you want to get an idea of what I mean? It's a hard quality to describe - Chrono and TL are better at it than I am.

"Precision" cut with high polish will be more "sparkly" than stones of the same variety with lower levels of polish and less thought towards correct angles for the stone type. Tourmaline will just never perform the same way as the higher RI stones mentioned above.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1410283260|3747770 said:
TL: I haven't fully decided yet. I'm still in my trial period, and Michael has graciously extended me more time if I need it (beyond the usual 10 days).

Okay, that being said, I do not like this stone. I think it's very dark, dull, and the color is very greyish, but not in a sparkly cool way, but in a dullish way.

I have a precision cut tourmaline from Jerry Newman. He cut it from some rough I had, and the combination of all the crown faceting, high and very small table, is a way to get lower RI stones, like tourmaline, to sparkle more. The asscher cut does nothing for that stone unfortunately. I hope that helps, since you're still in your trial period, I felt honesty is very important here. You see, the color does not redeem itself, so if that's the case, you need something, brilliance, sparkle, etc. . . instead.

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild said:
I have a few videos posted to my youtube channel with multiple types of gems in the same lighting situations if you want to get an idea of what I mean?

I'd love to see those, FrekeChild.

TL: I genuinely appreciate your honest thoughts. That's why I'm here. :) Thank you. I'd be very interested to see your stone that Jerry cut. And I'd appreciate your advice on purchasing rough, since that's something I may look into (if I can't find a stone), if you have any you'd like to offer.

S

SparkliesLuver

For the heck of it, here are two pictures of the Swala stone. It looks like there's a window. I asked and he said there is not. It seems on the darker side, but it does look better cut.

bimg_9674.jpg

bimg_9678.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results