shape
carat
color
clarity

"Z" Shaped FRACTURE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrogge

Rough_Rock
I own a large diamond that has a "Z" shaped fracture on. It almost looks like someone carved their initials on the stone. Welcoming everyones comments and advice. What would you do? Send it to be fracture filled? Are INTERESTING FRACTURES like this ever cherished? Or is that a stupid comment, like having a good dent on your car???

I am no diamond expert, but do have quite a bit of jewelry experience. To my naked eye, the inclusion is visable. It appears that it also veins from the top surface of the stone. The fracture appears be from the top down about 1/3 of the legth of the stone.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
That sounds like a durability isssue, try asking one of the apprasier who it shoudl be sent to for review. What was the clarity rating on your stone when you bought it?

muzzman

Rough_Rock
Did it get in a fight with Zorro?

mrogge

Rough_Rock
Here are the approx specs on the stone

2.75ct
round cut
VS (other than the obvious Z vein)
D color or better
"Z" is approximately 40% of the width of the stone

Its a beautiful stone. You absolutely can NOT see the Z unless you are closer than 24" to the stone, and even then only when your LOOKING for it!! Meanwhile, I KNOW ITS THERE.

Is an inclusion like this ever considered "fancy" or is that like asking for a GOOD dent on your your car????

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2005 2:43:37 AM
Author: mrogge
Here are the approx specs on the stone

2.75ct
round cut
VS (other than the obvious Z vein)
D color or better
'Z' is approximately 40% of the width of the stone

Its a beautiful stone. You absolutely can NOT see the Z unless you are closer than 24' to the stone, and even then only when your LOOKING for it!! Meanwhile, I KNOW ITS THERE.

Is an inclusion like this ever considered 'fancy' or is that like asking for a GOOD dent on your your car????
does this stone come with a report? better than D color?
23.gif
34.gif

mrogge

Rough_Rock
Havent ever sent the stone out. "D" is only my approximation, based upon eye comparisons to other stones that I have access too. Although I am not a diamond expert, I am usually pretty good judging colors of stones. Its a VERY nice stone. As far as "mind clean" (which had taken me a minute to figure out) sure... no matter how the stone looks to others, I will always be its most difficult critic. But I really dont have a problem with the inclusion... IF its something desireable.

Is something like this ever DESIREABLE??
(obviously NOT asking if its more valuable than a non fractured stone...)
just if its more desireable than a REPAIRED stone. Fracture filled, whatever.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2005 3:14:35 AM
Author: mrogge
Havent ever sent the stone out. ''D'' is only my approximation, based upon eye comparisons to other stones that I have access too. Although I am not a diamond expert, I am usually pretty good judging colors of stones. Its a VERY nice stone. As far as ''mind clean'' (which had taken me a minute to figure out) sure... no matter how the stone looks to others, I will always be its most difficult critic. But I really dont have a problem with the inclusion... IF its something desireable.

Is something like this ever DESIREABLE??
(obviously NOT asking if its more valuable than a non fractured stone...)
just if its more desireable than a REPAIRED stone. Fracture filled, whatever.
why not send it to AGS or GIA for a report? instead of sitting here guessing.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A diamond cannot be VS except for an inclusion. The grade has to include the inclusion. Maybe SI2 or I1. You said D or better. There is no grade higher than D.

You should take it to an independent appraiser and ask their opinion of the diamond. I would not think the Z will make it more valuable but an appraiser would be the best person to give you his/her opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results