shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Youtube videos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you have ever posted (or thought of doing it) some jewellery/gemstone related videos on Youtube, let''s share the links!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Great idea Mr. Ma Re! I''m looking forward to seeing the videos!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t think we were allowed to link to youtube.com. Perhaps one of the moderators can clarify.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. We can''t. We get in trouble for that. I know from personal experience. And it sucks, because I don''t think you can really capture gems in a photo, and videos are much better for capturing the true life and beauty of a stone.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
To protect privacy and to reduce the number of broken links on the forum we do not allow linking to youtube or other personal video websites.

If there is an educational video you have it would be worth contacting us to see if it might be something we can work on for the forum more directly.
1.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Ella,

Can you clairfy please. I know Good Old Gold and Wink post links to videos sometimes. Is it just Youtube that you have a problem with? What about Vimeo?

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
It isn't videos themselves, it is the location of the videos and the fact that they would be hosted on a personal website of sorts. We do have a video gallery here on PS and we are happy to work with people to add educational videos there. Following the same policy as for photos, we do not allow outside links to video hosting websites in order to protect personal privacy and reduce the number of broken links on the forums.

We hope to allow users to utilize video technology more fully in the near future directly on PS. :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would be nice at some point to be able to have videos to show different gems and different cuts..different lighting and how they''re affected. Some things, well for me anyway, are hard to get a full understanding unless you actually see it.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Date: 4/1/2010 2:15:36 PM
Author: packrat
It would be nice at some point to be able to have videos to show different gems and different cuts..different lighting and how they''re affected. Some things, well for me anyway, are hard to get a full understanding unless you actually see it.

We are happy to post these types of videos if someone wishes to make them.
1.gif

And of course if a trade member chooses to do that they need to be educational in nature and not self-promotional.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
So who wants to make Gemstones for Dummies videos?

IrisAccents

Shiny_Rock
I think this is an excellent idea- I''d love to see some of the gorgeous pieces posted by members come to life in a video!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2010 10:36:55 AM
Author: FrekeChild
I don''t think you can really capture gems in a photo, and videos are much better for capturing the true life and beauty of a stone.

I totally agree.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember TL mentioning that her camera could not capture green in photo but the video came out fine. Wouldn''t it be nice to see her green in the video! She does have it on YouTube but she could not direct us to her website because of the forum''s policy. Honestly, I''d love to see her greens!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2010 9:40:26 PM
Author: crasru
I remember TL mentioning that her camera could not capture green in photo but the video came out fine. Wouldn''t it be nice to see her green in the video! She does have it on YouTube but she could not direct us to her website because of the forum''s policy. Honestly, I''d love to see her greens!

I would love to show you my emeralds in a video. I don''t have them on youtube, but on my own private computer. It''s really the only way to show you the velvety sheen in these stones, and a still photo cannot capture it properly. The videos are a bit fuzzy, but it''s so much better than a still photograph.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Would it be against forum policy if we would just post titles of videos (how we named them on Youtube or some such place) and our usernames on those sites, so that people can look up on their own?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I bet there are very few usernames which we use at different forums and websites. Ebay names are another thing, but amethystguy is amethystguy wherever he goes, so some people are very well-known. (I do not imply that he makes videos, just that he is well-known).

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you want to watch some faceting and rock hounding videos from the Franklin Faceter''s Frolic, you can look for my profile in Youtube - gsellis. I have more that 20 minutes of Johnny Tew talking about speed cutting demoing on a Gem-Master. Johnny cut a standard round brilliant in 24 minutes last year. I have Roy Meade and Will Smith (the faceter and former William Holland instructor, not the actor) talking about wax dopping techniques (which might be very boring for the non-faceter). I also have Dan Lynch talking about mining sapphires, opal, sunstones, etc. You can ignore the mountain biking video, but the winterguard ad might be a pleasant distraction.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/1/2010 3:21:02 PM
Author: Ella

Date: 4/1/2010 2:15:36 PM
Author: packrat

We are happy to post these types of videos if someone wishes to make them.
1.gif

And of course if a trade member chooses to do that they need to be educational in nature and not self-promotional.
I will try to remember that. I am videoing Franklin Faceter''s Frolic 3 this summer. I should have some more faceting demos including a concave demo (by Dalan Hargrave). There will be some familiar faces there too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results