shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on this colour

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perl8429

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
Okay...another question. I currently own a M diamond (but it faces up white in 90% of lights). My hubby wants to upgrade my diamond, and we found a cushion cut diamondJ colour VS1 and was wondering if you think that a J is considered to be a not so great colour. The stone is a GIA stone.
Measurement: 5.90 - 5.96 x 3.71
Carat weight: 1.01
Cut: Good
Color: J
Clarity: VS2
L/W Ratio: 1.01
Depth%: 62.9%
Table%: 61%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to Very Thick, Faceted
Culet: Medium
Fluorescence: None

I am trying to wonder if it will be yellow?
Thanks
perl8429

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I think if anything a cushion could pull off a J, because if it DOES look slightly yellowish, then it can have a sort of antique look that most cushions tend to have anyway. Consider that most estate cushions were lowers colors...

J should be OK, but it depends on your tolerance. Studies state that the "average consumer" (NOT PS consumer) can detect color only at L-M in round stones. Many here would disagree, but many here could probably tell a G from an H...

In the end, does it matter? Do you like the stone as is? I think warmer stones can be beautiful! I recently saw a beautiful light brown loose Asscher for sale at Christies, and I was suprised that I was LOVING IT, even though it was obviously colored.

WHO CARES? If you like the stone, go for it, and ENJOY it!!!

Good luck!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara started a thread here with pics of J colored stones in white metal rings (platinum and white gold). I for the life of me cannot find it right now...maybe someone can do the linky thing? All looked fantastic!! Am I dreaming? Didn't I see this???!!!
26.gif

perl8429

Rough_Rock
WOW! Thanks so much. I will check out the link right now. MEanwhile, please keep your opinions coming!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if anything a cushion could pull off a J, because if it DOES look slightly yellowish, then it can have a sort of antique look that most cushions tend to have anyway. Consider that most estate cushions were lowers colors...
I agree. A J color cushion will look gorgeous and have that antique delicacy. It's really sad that our society puts more emphasis on color of diamond rather than the beauty of it (regardless of what is said on the certificate).

If you love it, get it!

Edited to add: I read your other post about not seeing this diamond before purchasing it. Is there a 30-day return policy? I'd only purchase with a generous return policy so you have time to possibly do an appraisal and *at least* have time to view your stone under various light sources.

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Perl,

In looking at stones, you also have to remember that all stones of a particular grade, for example J in terms of color, are not created equal. Think of a color wheel rather than of primary color red-yellow-blue distinctions. Your J could be fantastically white (there''s a lab grading survey somewhere on PS that indicates that GIA stones are often graded more strictly on color than other labs) or perhaps not. It also could look bright yellow to you and incredibly white to me.

All that matters is how it looks to you. Which you really can''t determine without seeing it. Can you ask the vendor to evaluate the stone for you (read: is it in-house that someone there could look at it and give you an honest opinion)? If not, and you otherwise want the stone, you should go ahead and call it in and see if it works out before the return period is over. Or try to have it sent to an independent appraiser.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more point to mention....some fluorescence is a GOOD thing with warmer color stones...tends to make them look whiter.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results