shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Holy Grail of Gem Purchases

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Neither of my searches qualify as being a "holy grail" search. I've only been looking for the past few months, and neither of these purchases would "complete" me. But I'll still list them here in case anyone sees anything. I've contacted alllllll the usual vendors, to no avail, and it's been really kind of surprising to me, since I would have thought 1 request was easy and the other only moderately difficult. If I found both of these, my immediate wishlist would be fulfilled.

1. A medium to med-dark green with blueish hint tsavorite, round, well-cut, 5.2-6mm (This, I wouldn't have thought toooo difficult!)

2. A matched pair of 5mm round Mahenge spinels for earrings. The hot neon pink to reddish-pink color. I did find a pair of 4.7mm Mahenge rounds, but they are Mahenge in name only. They are a lovey pure pink, but they don't GLOW with neonicity (is that a word?). I bought them because I liked them anyhow and they were very well-priced. But they aren't my HG and would most likely get sold, should I ever find the perfect Mahenge pair.

Those are my 2 big ones, but I wouldn't be opposed to having a cobalt spinel (TGT's recent drop was tempting but too small and too expensive + I dislike ovals), or a perfect medium screaming blue sapphire drop in my lap. Round, 5.5mm or so.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1359271407|3364693 said:
So Freke, there is not one stone out there of a particular size, shape and color that is calling your name?
Mmmmm....a 1.5ish ct fancy yellow princess diamond would be great. This would be to fit into my mom's ering setting. (It's yellow gold.) That probably wouldn't be THAT difficult if I were actually looking, but I'm not, nor will I be any time soon!

Otherwise, maybe a 4ct fancy blue diamond in a perfect OEC cut. So, basically no. :bigsmile:

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had to think about this one for a while...

Now, I will admit to only being in the 'hobby' for two years or so...but I got VERY into it...buying lots and lots of stones at first, learning a ton, then finally figuring out what I do like, what I do want, and what I do not...so, even though the length of time I've waited will pale in comparision to 7 years for Chrono...it FEELS like 7 years since all I've been really into as far as hobbies in the last few years has been gems.

Ok..

So..what took me forever to find was the right Blue Zircon. I've bought more than a few...all very nice, all big, and all precision cut...but I wasn't finding the right color for me. But I did find one, it was probably the 6th or 7th Blue Zircon I'd bought over 5ct.

The other stone that took me forever to find was my Rubellite. Lots of ones I bought that had inclusions, shifted in incandescent, windowed, etc etc. Finally found the perfect one.

I am pretty sure that I am satisfied for good with my Chrysoberyl,Tsavorite, Peridot, and Blue/Purple Spinel...but I don't think I can honestly say that if a 'better' one ever came up, and I was in a position to buy it, that I wouldn't be tempted to buy it...but I will never buy another Rubellite or Blue Zircon.

Now for what I really want to find, but cannot yet...is the perfect Merelani Mint Garnet. Im after the elusive nicely saturated and blue modifier, and over lets say 2ct. I just cant find one...they are all too yellow (I do not want ANY yellow), too pale or too small. I found one that I thought was perfect...I didnt see yellow, I thought I saw blue...but it was the wrong shape. I am referring to the 2.76ct Mint Garnet Emerald Cut on Roger Derys site. I just cannot get myself to 'like' Emerald Cuts. I have but one in my collection--and its the only Emerald cut stone thats ever made me say wow (this is my Peridot--also from Roger Dery). But this one I felt would be a waste in an Emerald cut as you don't get the scintillation/dispersion etc with that style of cut. Fine for a Peridot (all about the color) but not so fine with dispersive Mint Garnets. if anyone finds one, I'd be appreciative! Im okay with any shape other than a Pear, Heart, or Emerald-Cut. I am OK with other rectagular shapes such as Radiants or Brilliant Octagons, but I can not have just plain step-cutting.

Just as an FYI for anyone looking for Mints...here is some info that Roger passed onto me. So it doesn't look good--I feel my best bet is going to be on the secondhand market...

Chris, a Merelani Mint Garnet, cleanish, with the slight blue overtone is the eye of the tiger. All of this material was mined over a 3 week period in Dec 2010. I was there. I was able to select [at the time] the finest pieces. As I'm sure you know, I was just in Kenya and Tanzania buying rough. There was nothing to buy in this material. And we asked everyone.

vickygigi

Shiny_Rock
ChrisA222|1359311704|3364893 said:
I had to think about this one for a while...

Now, I will admit to only being in the 'hobby' for two years or so...but I got VERY into it...buying lots and lots of stones at first, learning a ton, then finally figuring out what I do like, what I do want, and what I do not...so, even though the length of time I've waited will pale in comparision to 7 years for Chrono...it FEELS like 7 years since all I've been really into as far as hobbies in the last few years has been gems.

Ok..

So..what took me forever to find was the right Blue Zircon. I've bought more than a few...all very nice, all big, and all precision cut...but I wasn't finding the right color for me. But I did find one, it was probably the 6th or 7th Blue Zircon I'd bought over 5ct.

The other stone that took me forever to find was my Rubellite. Lots of ones I bought that had inclusions, shifted in incandescent, windowed, etc etc. Finally found the perfect one.

I am pretty sure that I am satisfied for good with my Chrysoberyl,Tsavorite, Peridot, and Blue/Purple Spinel...but I don't think I can honestly say that if a 'better' one ever came up, and I was in a position to buy it, that I wouldn't be tempted to buy it...but I will never buy another Rubellite or Blue Zircon.

Now for what I really want to find, but cannot yet...is the perfect Merelani Mint Garnet. Im after the elusive nicely saturated and blue modifier, and over lets say 2ct. I just cant find one...they are all too yellow (I do not want ANY yellow), too pale or too small. I found one that I thought was perfect...I didnt see yellow, I thought I saw blue...but it was the wrong shape. I am referring to the 2.76ct Mint Garnet Emerald Cut on Roger Derys site. I just cannot get myself to 'like' Emerald Cuts. I have but one in my collection--and its the only Emerald cut stone thats ever made me say wow (this is my Peridot--also from Roger Dery). But this one I felt would be a waste in an Emerald cut as you don't get the scintillation/dispersion etc with that style of cut. Fine for a Peridot (all about the color) but not so fine with dispersive Mint Garnets. if anyone finds one, I'd be appreciative! Im okay with any shape other than a Pear, Heart, or Emerald-Cut. I am OK with other rectagular shapes such as Radiants or Brilliant Octagons, but I can not have just plain step-cutting.

Just as an FYI for anyone looking for Mints...here is some info that Roger passed onto me. So it doesn't look good--I feel my best bet is going to be on the secondhand market...

Chris, a Merelani Mint Garnet, cleanish, with the slight blue overtone is the eye of the tiger. All of this material was mined over a 3 week period in Dec 2010. I was there. I was able to select [at the time] the finest pieces. As I'm sure you know, I was just in Kenya and Tanzania buying rough. There was nothing to buy in this material. And we asked everyone.

Glad you aren't looking for a lighter mint, as I am really hoping to buy the one I am stalking. Stones go "sold" before you know it! Good luck Chris!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChrisA222|1359311704|3364893 said:

Chris: you might want to try Vance gems and/or Prima. IIRC, when I saw Vance's stones recently, they had some good Merelanis - at least I think they did. They had so many Grossulars of various shades. It seems that Prima too, has had tremendous access to rough in the past and may have stockpiled some. But they aren't cheap anywhere.

As for the news from Roger: yup, we've been hearing that for a good while now, which is why prices are getting so high on Grossulars in general, but the Merelanis in particular. But thanks for repeating it for newcomers to hear. :))

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
I guess my holy grail of gems was a blue sapphire halo just like Princess Diana's ring. The obsession started way back in the 1980's when she got engaged.

I finally got one when Kate got engaged since the rings made a comeback. So, that was about 25+ year wait?

My husband bought it for me at a jewelry brick and mortar store that starts with J. Think subway sandwiches. I'm sure the stone is treated, but I didn't know to ask at the time. It's a natural sapphire. At any rate, its's a beautiful ring, and I love to wear it.

Now, my holy grail items are two things:

1) a true paraiba tourmaline ring or necklace. Heated is okay.

2) an unheated and untreated emerald ring.

What are the chances of finding #2?

Oh! I almost forgot one. I've always wanted a Native American turquoise squash blossom necklace. I finally received one about two years ago. It is beautiful. I just have nothing to wear with it! Why have it if you don't wear it? That's my goal this upcoming month -- find something to wear with it and wear it!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want an excellent cut, substantial size, vivid, rose colored sapphire. That would be my holy grail stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1359339018|3365148 said:
I want an excellent cut, substantial size, vivid, rose colored sapphire. That would be my holy grail stone.

This sounds great, and sorry to ask, but there are so many colors of roses - what color rose?

CYIW

Rough_Rock
Hello,

It also helps, I suppose, if you put up specific(ish):

(1) price range unless you're lucky enough to have no limit.
(2) minimum or maximum dimensions
(3) carat size

Hmmm I don't know what else...unheated/heated?

And for just for the sake of interest - how long you've been searching!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Fun thread!

I have two holy grails now. I've been looking for about two years but mainly just to learn. I am ready to look more seriously now.

First, an opal in a pear shape. A black opal (with dark blue-black background) with broad strokes of emerald green and sapphire blue. A touch of red is fine but its really the blue and green I'm after. A rolling flash would be ever so nice. I'd like something bigger than 2 carats. It will be a pendant (with a blue sapphire halo I think!). Ideally I'd love to spend under $1,500 but could stretch for the perfect stone.

I also love the fantastic faceted Welo opals and the perfect one could sway me from my black opal quest:

My second holy grail is an intense pinkish red rubellite. Precision cut (or at least very well cut). No color fading in different lights. Eye cleanish (not super fussy about this though). Round, oval, cushion preferred but will be happy with most any shape. I'd like something around 3-5 carats. For an occasional wear ring.

There will be a few others in the future (large EC emerald, large yellow sapphire cushion, oval pink diamond) but nothing that I can afford for a while!

Attachments

• imageuploadedbytapatalk1359345656.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 399
  • imageuploadedbytapatalk1359345892.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 391
  • imageuploadedbytapatalk1359345915.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 394
  • imageuploadedbytapatalk1359346002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 394

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I forgot my rubellite inspiration picture:

Attachments

• imageuploadedbytapatalk1359346576.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 393

CYIW

Rough_Rock
For some reason the pictures posted by RoseBloom aren't showing up for me...:(

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1359320317|3364983 said:
Chris: you might want to try Vance gems and/or Prima. IIRC, when I saw Vance's stones recently, they had some good Merelanis - at least I think they did. They had so many Grossulars of various shades. It seems that Prima too, has had tremendous access to rough in the past and may have stockpiled some. But they aren't cheap anywhere.

Ditto this BUT it is important to let them know the quality you want. Even though I spelled it out explicitly, they still suggested something with a touch of yellow until I showed them a photo of TL's gorgeous heart mint garnet, then they knew exactly what I wanted and suggested mints garnets with that elusive blue modifier with no gray.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
txgreeneyes|1359331644|3365079 said:
Now, my holy grail items are two things:
1) a true paraiba tourmaline ring or necklace. Heated is okay.
2) an unheated and untreated emerald ring.
What are the chances of finding #2?

1. You need mega bucks but find this is still possible. The only limitation is the mega bucks part. You won't find this online though.
2. Chances of #2 depends on the size and again, the size of your budget.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1359341709|3365195 said:

This sounds great, and sorry to ask, but there are so many colors of roses - what color rose?

Yup, could be a yellow rose. :devil: :bigsmile: I can guess what you mean though but can you post a picture of this rosy sapphire? What size is substantial to you? 10 ct? 5 ct? Substantial means different things to different people. What about treatment?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom,
Your pictures aren't showing up for me either.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to try those pictures again-

Hope these work!

Attachments

• imageuploadedbytapatalk1359391649.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 360
  • imageuploadedbytapatalk1359391660.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 358
  • imageuploadedbytapatalk1359391672.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 357
  • imageuploadedbytapatalk1359391681.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 357

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry....still see empty boxes.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Third time's a charm! Apologies for the empty boxes. Tap-a-talk is bring funky lately.

_3347.jpg

_3349.jpg

_3350.jpg

_3351.jpg

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I got a rubellite from Gene last year--it has an eye visible inclusion, but the color more than makes up for it. 3.13 carats, 8.749 mm square cushion. This picture isn't great though, sorry. Maybe he has some rough or can get more?

img_4023.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

See that's the thing. I feel like the bride on one episode of "Say Yes to the Dress". She had this perfect shade of green that she wanted her bridesmaids to wear. The staff at the dress shop showed her every shade and she said "no, that's not it". They became frustrated and said the shade of green only existed in her head- until she saw the shade she was looking for. For me the rose color I have in my head is the perfect shade. I will know it when I see it. Until then I look........and save money for the day I find it. :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've seen that episode of Yes to the Dress :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1359394301|3365542 said:

See that's the thing. I feel like the bride on one episode of "Say Yes to the Dress". She had this perfect shade of green that she wanted her bridesmaids to wear. The staff at the dress shop showed her every shade and she said "no, that's not it". They became frustrated and said the shade of green only existed in her head- until she saw the shade she was looking for. For me the rose color I have in my head is the perfect shade. I will know it when I see it. Until then I look........and save money for the day I find it. :)

Like rose wine? A sort of blush?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1359394301|3365542 said:

Lisa, this is so romantic, kinda like love at first sight. But in the meantime, you know we'll all be revisiting this thread with photo after photo of roses to see if we can find your match! :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom, I am totally in LOVE with that third photo showing the very colorful opal - is that Welo? It almost looks like Coober Pedy.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
erinl said:
I got a rubellite from Gene last year--it has an eye visible inclusion, but the color more than makes up for it. 3.13 carats, 8.749 mm square cushion. This picture isn't great though, sorry. Maybe he has some rough or can get more?
Gasp!!!! Perfection! I will contact him tonight! Thank you!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux said:
Rosebloom, I am totally in LOVE with that third photo showing the very colorful opal - is that Welo? It almost looks like Coober Pedy.
It's amazing isn't it? I'm not home now but I'll post the stats later.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Rosebloom - thats one big honker!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Indeed! I should give credit where it's due. Yssie posted that stone some time ago in an opal thread and I've just been lusting after it ever since!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results