shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Favorite Wedding Gift

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
While looking for a special present for an upcoming wedding, I came across an article asking women of all ages what their favorite/most special wedding present was. Some were sentimental gifts, others practical. I wondered what us PSers would say.

I still have a lot of the houseware gifts from 30 years ago and remember who gave them to me. My favorite gift was a bordering-on-tacky set of heart-shaped glass trays with embossed pink roses. They were from my absolute favorite aunt whom I loved dearly.

So... what was you favorite gift?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Probably the Royal Worcester Evesham casserole and baking dishes. The gold rims are still evident after 35 years of use! Honestly I cried when I broke my soufflé dish. It is simply beautiful and well crafted stuff, that never gets old.

cheers--Sharon

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We already had a house when we got married so most of what we got was either smaller items or cash. Probably my favorite was a set of towels, they were monogrammed with our initials and had beautifully embroidered flowers on them. The hand towels had rosettes made out of ribbons, they were gorgeous!

I found a picture minus the rosette hand towels!

3C435A85-0950-488F-BE5D-3C19F0A467D7.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our favorite gift was from someone we didn't even invite to our wedding.
Greg's boss at the time. He generously gave us a three day trip/experience to The Point.
It was incredible. Words cannot adequately describe the experience.

Our accommodations were at The Boathouse.
boathouse.jpg

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
We didn’t do gifts at our wedding - didn’t need or want for anything & requested no gifts.

However when I got engaged my Aunt bought me a Villeroy and Bosh strainer because she was given one for her engagement.
I use it daily & always think of her.
CBFF2764-8109-471B-B42C-BEE6309369C4.jpeg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm from NY, cash only at the wedding. We still use pretty much everything we were gifted at our bridal shower (nearly 15 years later). We registered for solid small appliances and "good" dishes/flatware, we still use it all! The things that are out of use by now are linens, bathroom accessories, etc.

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
I come from a culture that gifts cash at weddings/special occasions. My uncle wasn't able to make it to the wedding since my grandma was sick back home in Laos...so he gifted me this silk fabric and I was able to get a seamstress to make my outfit for our cultural ceremony. This will become an heirloom...probably passed down to my sister next...

29836349493_41ea8cc455_o.jpeg

I come from a culture that gifts cash at weddings/special occasions. My uncle wasn't able to make it to the wedding since my grandma was sick back home in Laos...so he gifted me this silk fabric and I was able to get a seamstress to make my outfit for our cultural ceremony. This will become an heirloom...probably passed down to my sister next...

This outfit is GORGEOUS! What is it called??

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My default wedding gift is a sterling silver photo frame, in a size that is dependent upon how well I know the bridge/groom/couple.

It is sentimental as well as practical IMHO.

I get them from an eBay seller that is based on Florence in Italy as they stock a huge selection of styles and sizes to suit every budget.

I have already chosen a frame for a friend's upcoming wedding on the day he announced it.

DK :))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Didn’t get engaged and didn’t ask for any wedding presents.

@YadaYadaYada that’s such a pretty and thoughtful gift, they look too lovely to use!

Wow @missy, that looks fab.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow @missy, that looks fab.

In hindsight we should have invited Greg's boss and his wife. After the wedding we started seeing them socially. I always adored Greg's boss. Funny, irreverent and brilliant. But Greg wanted to keep the wedding small and only close friends and family. Which we did. But we left out a number of people that I would have liked inviting. Oh well. Maybe at our next wedding. :lol: JK. Getting married twice (within 3 months) was enough for us. :)

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
My mom bought a beautiful Akoya pearl necklace to wear at my wedding and gifted it to me afterwards. I'm very sentimental and didn't think to buy any jewelry (other than the rings) for my wedding, so I loved getting the necklace.

TARSHA

Rough_Rock
My default wedding gift is a sterling silver photo frame, in a size that is dependent upon how well I know the bridge/groom/couple.

It is sentimental as well as practical IMHO.

I get them from an eBay seller that is based on Florence in Italy as they stock a huge selection of styles and sizes to suit every budget.

I have already chosen a frame for a friend's upcoming wedding on the day he announced it.

DK :))

Would you share the name of the ebay seller, please? They sound special! tia

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

Probably the Royal Worcester Evesham casserole and baking dishes. The gold rims are still evident after 35 years of use! Honestly I cried when I broke my soufflé dish. It is simply beautiful and well crafted stuff, that never gets old.

cheers--Sharon

I love that pattern @canuk-gal..Did you replace it?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh this is my favourite
Its beautiful

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pattern has been long discontinued. I don't want a preloved one....except from my Mom. :P2

@canuk-gal Sometimes people get wedding gifts but never use them. They are old new pieces still in the box. Is that still out?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@canuk-gal Sometimes people get wedding gifts but never use them. They are old new pieces still in the box. Is that still out?

That's a great idea @canuk-gal .
I broke two pieces of mum's good (but not best) dinnerset and i managed to get replacement pieces from trade me (NZ e bay) that had just sat in someone's cuboard for 30 years and had never been used
It did take me a few months and along the way i bought some pieces that matched what i got for my 21st :lol:

Thank you kindly! It's a wedding/bridal "sinh".

It’s beautiful :) are red and gold “typical” bridal colours in Laos?

I ask because the sinh has a few similarities to the sari (though upon reading more they are not functionally similar, only a bit in appearance); and red and gold are also Indian bridal colours. Just found that cool :D

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
It’s beautiful :) are red and gold “typical” bridal colours in Laos?

I ask because the sinh has a few similarities to the sari (though upon reading more they are not functionally similar, only a bit in appearance); and red and gold are also Indian bridal colours. Just found that cool :D

Oh, saris are beautiful! I went to an Indian wedding a few years ago...and I couldn't stop looking at the women's outfits!!

Yes, I'd say red and gold are typical bridal colors but of course, you can wear any color you like. I think the similarity might be that they are the same type of silk?

Off topic but my neighbor from two doors down knocked on my door last night. She came bearing cupcakes and to apologize in advance since her daughter is getting married this weekend and there might be a little bit of noise/music/people/cars on our street. It's going on for three days and I might just have to peek out my window on one of those days...you know, when they're doing the procession...just to see the lovely outfits! =)2

Oh, saris are beautiful! I went to an Indian wedding a few years ago...and I couldn't stop looking at the women's outfits!!

Yes, I'd say red and gold are typical bridal colors but of course, you can wear any color you like. I think the similarity might be that they are the same type of silk?

Off topic but my neighbor from two doors down knocked on my door last night. She came bearing cupcakes and to apologize in advance since her daughter is getting married this weekend and there might be a little bit of noise/music/people/cars on our street. It's going on for three days and I might just have to peek out my window on one of those days...you know, when they're doing the procession...just to see the lovely outfits! =)2

Same here, red and gold are typical bridal colours (in the north) but people wear whatever colour they like (except black; I think that’s a universal no across the country).

Why I said they were a bit similar in appearance is because, and correct me if I’m wrong, the skirt of the sinh is pleated in front right? I gathered as much based on the pic of the lady to your left. And then there’s a scarf that goes diagonally across the chest and hangs on one shoulder. So a sari, though all one piece, looks similar - pleated in the front and a diagonal piece across the chest and down one shoulder. The similarity is only superficial, but it struck me as cool when I saw the picture. As for the type of silk - saris can be made of any fabric, but the more decorative ones are usually silk.

Oh I miss weddings! I barely attended any because of COVID, missed at least 6 that I really wanted to attend. Have fun!!

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
Same here, red and gold are typical bridal colours (in the north) but people wear whatever colour they like (except black; I think that’s a universal no across the country).

Why I said they were a bit similar in appearance is because, and correct me if I’m wrong, the skirt of the sinh is pleated in front right? I gathered as much based on the pic of the lady to your left. And then there’s a scarf that goes diagonally across the chest and hangs on one shoulder. So a sari, though all one piece, looks similar - pleated in the front and a diagonal piece across the chest and down one shoulder. The similarity is only superficial, but it struck me as cool when I saw the picture. As for the type of silk - saris can be made of any fabric, but the more decorative ones are usually silk.

Oh I miss weddings! I barely attended any because of COVID, missed at least 6 that I really wanted to attend. Have fun!!

That's my mom hehe. It's sort of pleated. You step into the skirt, fold it to the side and it attaches with a hook. And yes, the scarf hangs from one shoulder and drapes across your body. =)2

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Practical: a le creuset, we probably use it three times a week.
Sentimental: not really a wedding gift but years ago my uncle gave me my grandmother's China, for our wedding he gave me her crystal and bought sturdy boxes for it. My mother gave me a set of silver that had belonged to my grandmother's family. Other than the crystal I use the china and silver all the time. The weight and balance of the silverware is unlike the stainless steel crud.
Not wedding but we have a family tradition that when you get engaged the women all give you a teacup and saucer from their china pattern. Sometimes it is just a pretty cup and saucer, since sets get discontinued. I have been rotating my collection out and get so many comments on zoom calls. I may never go back to mugs.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not wedding but we have a family tradition that when you get engaged the women all give you a teacup and saucer from their china pattern. Sometimes it is just a pretty cup and saucer, since sets get discontinued. I have been rotating my collection out and get so many comments on zoom calls. I may never go back to mugs.

I love this idea! What a great way to have a beautiful tea cup collection with a special memory attached

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A pair of Chama Vaquero camp chairs, a lovely gift from my dear brother. They’re a bit too heavy to tote easily and rather impractical for anything not close to the car, but they are totally luxurious when we do use them - and we do a lot of car camping! (And boondocking, as in the photo below.)

757EF301-4F84-461A-85EC-0E5E7A20002A.jpeg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandparents found me a roasting pan like they use. It was something they ran across in a thrift store. It is about half the size of the one they have always used so can't use it for a turkey, but it is definitely special. (I have since learned they are usual in Cajun cooking so I might be able to find a full size. Even if I do, that little one will be cherished!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results