shape
carat
color
clarity

your favorite job

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
I''m sure some of us if not most have more than 2 jobs in our lifetime, even if the current job is your only job for the past many days, months and years, I would love to hear how long you been in that position, which job you like most and what kept you motivated. And, why you love and hated the job.
19.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
My favorite job was at UPenn doing research in admissions. LOVED IT!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
My favorite job was busting up cast iron furnaces with a sledgehammer.
There is just something indescribably fun about busting things up with a large hammer even if it was very hot and very dirty work.
I would be soaking wet and rust red colored from head to toe at the end of the day.
I started out with a 10 pound hammer and by the end of the summer was using a 16 and 20 pounder.
Fun times.

The nerve damage to my hands wasn''t fun as a result of it but the actual job was a lot of fun.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I feel lucky because I've really liked all of my jobs.

I have to admit that my current job is my favorite--I work in the Strategy & Analysis dep't at a Marketing/Advertising firm. I like the creation of advertising strategies for my clients.

I haven't had that many jobs--in high school I worked in the mail room of an insurance company. Then I was a barista at a coffee house my freshman year of college. My first internship I assisted in writing a book, which is how I fell in love with research & analysis. I decided to do a marketing internship after the book was published, but it only led me back to research. My first job was in research at a commercial real estate firm, then I went into technology consulting and now I'm in my current position and love it.

I think the job I miss the most is being a barista--I learned how to make any coffee or espresso-based drink known to man and it was fun working with other college students. The job didn't require any thought at all, it was just fun, so I could save all of my brainpower for studying :)

ETA: I grew up on a farm, so disking and planting the fields was a "job" since I was a kid--I still feel "at home" being up on a tractor.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Good morning everyone!
26.gif
Thanks for sharing.

At 16, I was tutoring 3 grade 4 students after school. That was 18 years ago, so making $360 a month at that age was awesome. Love tutoring, I felt like a teacher at that age. At 17, I took a year course in computer programming, became computer programmer for 6 months, left the job. Went to college in Canada, graduated at 22. Came back to Asia, started off as a banking representative for 2 years, moved up as an investment manager, worked for 3 years. Love the money but this is not what I wanted to do. Left banking industry when a client told me of a job opening at a tv network. 2 interviews, got the job as a sales manager. This was my dream job. Its uplifting to bring in the money for commercial, working as a team with producers, crews, celebs and clients, presenting ideas to clients on their commercials and of course the parties.. I was sad to leave the job after 5 years. But I wanted to get married and have a family. Left Asia now in CA for 3 years. I just started a business, working mostly from home, so I can take care of my about to be a year old baby girl.

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
Karl, that nerve damage, how does it affect your everyday life?

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
UCLABelle, I bet it is
1.gif

hibiscus

Shiny_Rock
NewEnglandLady, Sounds like you''re very versatile, on the fields and in the office, you can do everything!
1.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
When I was 12 years old I started in the jewelry trade by being an assistant to a small jewelry store in wyoming...the owners paid me to string muli strand sterling and semiprecious bead necklaces for their cases(my first pay check was $26.00 and a sterling bracelet)I turned this into a home business and would string after school everyday and by the time i was 15 there was 5 stores in town that had my work in their cases.It was a real high at 15 to see my work in the front windows of stores and seeing some of my pieces going for as much as $150.00 per piece(keep in mind that this is mid 70s...150 was alot for a sterling and bead necklace.)I would string for hours each day and study books on jewelry...i loved every minute of it .

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Hey, this is fun!!! My least favourite job was working with my dad when I was about 16. He had a coffee shop/appliance sales/small appliance repair/telegraph/bus depot store. When I was in high school it was my job to fill in for vacationing employees in the coffee shop/bus depot. The reasons I didn''t like it were that my dad assumed I''d learned my skill-set by assimilation, and gave no guidance at all. Another pet peeve was coffee shop customers who blew smoke in my face before placing an order.
38.gif

Now, I''ll come to the good stuff. At about 15, I tutored students who were hospitalized for lengthy periods, and then when married continued tutoring at home. I enjoyed it, but nothing could compare to the absolute JOY I felt when teaching in a classroom. I loved the challenge of keeping one step ahead of teenagers. Too much fun! I told every class that I taught that if anyone disagreed with my comments, to ask me to justify what I''d said. Sometimes, just for fun, I''d state an opinion that was absolute rubbish, and wait for the questions. Those were the hilights of my days!!! I wanted them to learn to be critical of what they heard.
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 12:39:45 PM
Author: hibiscus
Karl, that nerve damage, how does it affect your everyday life?
I get tingly sensations in my hands every once in the while from it and some loss of fine control particularity in the pinkie and next finger.
I cant touch type because of it and can be butter fingered when tired is the only real lasting effect. (I type 50-60wpm with 2 fingers.)

Its the result of doing that type of work at a young age.
Something to do with how the tunnels for the nerves aren't fully formed and repeated impacts damages the nerve sheaths.
Its common in people who work construction at a young age.
I was doing hvac at 8 but didn't start busting iron until 16.
I loved doing construction/hvac and started out just going with my Dad then started working at it helping him out.

Whats strange is I never got seriously hurt doing construction then destroyed my elbow in a supposedly safe occupation.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock

I’ve had four jobs so far.

The very first was working for a small chain fast food restaurant. At the time I hated it but looking back, it was my best job ever. I learned so much. All of my work habits came from my fast food experience and it made me into a successful employee. You learn patience, tolerance, how to work quickly with not very many resources, and how to get to an end goal. It was awesome.

The second was as a GM at a retail store. Hated every second of it
14.gif
. Then government which was ok. And now I’m at a job that I love.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I worked at Build-a-Bear last year. It was seriously the most amazing, happy, joyful job I''ve ever had. There was really nothing better than watching kids bring their bears to life, and dance around and make "the biggest, most humongus, ELEPHANT-sized wish ever". There was almost never anybody there in a bad mood, and I got to help run birthday parties and badge fulfillment parties for girl scouts. It was awesome. Honestly, if I could live the kind of life I want and work there, I would do it in a heartbeat.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
princess- that is awesome. that is the kind of job i want, but like you cant live my life with that paycheck

as far as my jobs go i have hated every single one of them, i guess that is why i left them. my current is ok but i always want MORE

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I worked at the bench in my Dad''s jewellery shop before I went to Univeristy (after HIgh School--I graduated young). I repaired gold/silver jewellery--nothing sophisticated, but it was fun and worked with a good bunch. I really like using my hands and believe it or not some of those skills have assisted me in other careers. Best thing of all, was I got paid full time hours even if I took a day off!
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2008 10:06:56 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I worked at the bench in my Dad''s jewellery shop before I went to Univeristy (after HIgh School--I graduated young). I repaired gold/silver jewellery--nothing sophisticated, but it was fun and worked with a good bunch. I really like using my hands and believe it or not some of those skills have assisted me in other careers. Best thing of all, was I got paid full time hours even if I took a day off!
9.gif

cheers--Sharon
Im jelous...i always wished my father was a jeweler...he owned and operated hotals and resteurants and i spent many a day washing pots,bussing tables and hosting in the dining rooms...hes been my biggest support in the jewelry trade though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results