shape
carat
color
clarity

You can''t laser inscribe a fancy shape diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I was surfing around the net tonight and found this quote on a retail jewelry site:

"Fancy shapes can not be laser etched. It reflects into the top."

What seed of truth is there to this? We sell GIA dossiers on fancy shapes all the time and never heard (nor noticed) such a thing!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you have to be careful about that information you find on the internet!
2.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My marquise is laser inscribed, and I can see thru the table with a loupe if it's tilted just right. I remember seeing a picture of a radiant where you can see the inscription too. Maybe it is true for all, but most people just don't notice?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strage enough
20.gif

It takes a cut with thick girdle and strong "fish eye" to make that statement true. And it doesn't seem right to assume that the vast majority of fancy colors are cut that way.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If you look at fancies, they almost all have some kind of slight windowing when tilted just right, regardless of how well cut it is. If the inscription happens to be where the windowing occurs, why wouldn''t it be possible to see the reflection of the girdle/inscription?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shapes were those Fortekitty ? And what color ? I can easily imagine what you say in some very dark color... otherwise, I'd still blame it on cut.
38.gif

I meant to post this previously - one properly labeled fish if there ever was one (depth a bit over 80%, table about 60%, "extremely thich" girdle).

GirdleInscriptionAllOver.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My E colored marquise's cut grade is 1A, and I saw the reflection of the inscription. Luckily i didn't pay for the VVS2 quality or else I would have been pissed!

Okay, it's not nearly as bad as the one in the picture, but it is visible with a loupe if the lighting and angle is just right. About 40-45 degree angle from the girdle, with light coming from the back. I cannot see it if it's facing me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results