shape
carat
color
clarity

Yet another noobie asking for opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gee5088

Rough_Rock
I've been lurking around here for the past few months and have learned SO much, all the while enjoying the process and ESPECIALLY the SMTR forum......mmmmmmmm........so many YUMMY pieces!
30.gif

Well luckily my hubby-to-be has given me free reign to help choose my ideal wedding ring set. (God
emlove.gif
the man!) Our journey started out with a LEO diamond purchased locally at a B&M store here in Virginia Beach, VA. I wore the ring, it was pretty but something about it just didn't "call out" to me. (Was it just me?) So, before the 30-day return period was over, we found ourselves back at the store returning the ring, where they of course showed us some others in an attempt to keep the sale. We said, thanks-but no thanks!

That was back in October...fast forward to today. We've looked at MANY stones in person at other local B&M stores to gauge our preferences in shape, cut, color, and clarity. Months after educating ourselves greatly, much due to this site as well as the PS vendors' sites, namely GOG-THANK YOU!, we've discovered ideal-cut RB stones are what "call out" to me. In lieu of an ideal cut, we've learned we're not as color-sensitive as others may be and SI clarity is fine as long as the stone is eye-clean. I've been pricing around PS vendors but am ending up working with a jeweler in Atlanta, GA called Oropaz The Diamond Company. I've researched them through the BBB and feel we've made a good choice. The manager, Dominique, is AWESOME! She has been patient, understanding and always quick to respond to any of my inquiries. She will be custom-designing a WG (vs. platinum to save us money that we will use toward the stone) pave band. My choice in design is between a THIN full-eternity style (much like Mara's GORGEOUS set-thanks for the inspiration!) or a knife-edge with the pave only on the top half of the ring, on both sides of the knife-edge. (Hope that makes sense.) She is also custom-designing the prongs so that they are each subtly "doubled", much like the Vatche double-prongs. The total price for either piece is $5800. Which design do you think will look better, full-eternity pave or knife-edge pave?

The stone in question is an AGS Ideal stone, here are the specs from the cert:
$5150
1.032 ct, F/SI2 (I've been assured it's eye-clean)
6.59-6.63*3.94
table 57%
depth 59.6%
crown angle 34.0 (14.5%)
pavilion angle 40.7 (42.8%)
culet pointed
fluorescence neg
comments:additional twinning wisps and surface graining are not shown-what does this mean?

I'd appreciate all and any comments and/or suggestions regarding the stone as well as the ring design, much thanks in advance!
35.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Well personally I love Mara''s ring.

As for the diamond- the proportions are excellent! (I assume the girdle is medium?) The price is also competitive. Sounds like a great find.

The comment about twinning wisps and surface graining not shown should mean they are very minor - nothing you should see with the naked eye. Technically, twinning wisps are areas produced by crystal structure distortion. Surface graining may resemble faint facet junction lines, or be grooved or wavy, crossing facet junctions.

Since this is an SI2 you should assess it carefully to know the level of "eye-clean" or "eye-cleanish" it may be. If you love the way it looks it sounds like a winner.

gee5088

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response John!
emsmile.gif

I appreciate the info on the twinning wisps and surface graining. Dominique has assured me of the eye-cleanliness of the stone in all aspects, despite its SI2 clarity. I really feel I'm getting a great deal and am very excited!

Oops, the girdle info is faceted 0.6% to 1.5%-does this mean it's medium?

I think I'm leaning more toward the design like Mara's, but I'm still stewing on it.

Thanks again John!

gee5088

Rough_Rock
Absolutely!
emteeth.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
JUST AN FYI--THE PINK LETTERING IS VERY HARD TO READ..............

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Just to let you know, the pink is very hard to read...a darker color might be better.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
ooo too early to be shouting!

and if you highlight the text it goes dark blue - easier to read
28.gif

gee5088

Rough_Rock
Thanks for coming to my defense Lord Summerisle!
28.gif

It certainly appeared darker on my home computer! Oh well...I've edited it so hopefully those of you out there won't have to strain too much to read it.

Thanks John for not complaining, I guess you didn't have a hard time reading it...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
mara''s ring is beautiful, and certainly an inspiration....i think it would be a wonderful choice...
i do hope that you will come back and post a pic of your ring when it is finished!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2005 3:53:26 PM
Author: windowshopper
JUST AN FYI--THE PINK LETTERING IS VERY HARD TO READ..............
Just an FYI......All caps are also very tough on the eyes to read.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results