carat
color
clarity

Yeesh GIA vs EGL

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1403742781|3701178 said:
Here is another:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-4754070-1.05-carat-Radiant-diamond-H-color-VVS2-clarity.aspx only SLIGHTLY smaller (dimensions) at 5.7 excellent performance. Price point is even better.

And since you sticking it in a halo, I'll be honest. The spread difference between 5.7 and 6.0 is going to be negligible when set. Best thing about halos.

Something to think about.

If they CAN have to go in and see diamond in person. I'd ask about this one too.
Oh yes, I like this. Also got some good insight from your other post ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy to help.
If you do go to B2C please post a review, or just update this thread with your experiences. I'd like to hear your impressions.

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1403743503|3701187 said:
Happy to help.
If you do go to B2C please post a review, or just update this thread with your experiences. I'd like to hear your impressions.
For sure!
I have 3 places that I intend to visit
- IDJ
- B2C
- GoG

...it's going to be a busy day.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
necedemalis|1403748009|3701230 said:
Happy to help.
For sure!
- IDJ
- B2C
- GoG

What a fantastic thread, everyone has given you superb assistance and you will end up with a lovely ring! I hope you will come back and tell us how it went and show us the results...!

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
Lorelei|1403772876|3701343 said:
necedemalis|1403748009|3701230 said:
Happy to help.
For sure!
- IDJ
- B2C
- GoG

What a fantastic thread, everyone has given you superb assistance and you will end up with a lovely ring! I hope you will come back and tell us how it went and show us the results...!

For sure! I have learned a hell of a lot and intend to make the most of this experience. 8-)

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
Do you think these places will give me a print out of a potential purchase so that I can compare the aset to other diamonds in other store? It will be very difficult for me to judge w/o the diamonds (form any of the various stores) being side-by-side.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea what they can give you. I would call each vendor and ask.

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1403826397|3701740 said:
I have no idea what they can give you. I would call each vendor and ask.

Yeah, because there isn't a numerical value to performace/aset & it is a qualitative measure, I wouldn't know how to rank as well as you do. I was looking at the GoG and other stones trying my best to appreciate the inferior stones but ...well let's just say I need more practice. :errrr:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look the fact is you are looking at fancies and you know how to read an ASET now.

So here's basically what you need to do.

Look at each stone when it is placed in front of you objectively and only with your naked eye (or glasses/contacts, you know what I mean). If there a couple of them side by side look at them all together. Pick up the one that you like best. The one that has your attention. If there is no one that grabs your attention more than the others, then just start at one end and go to the other.

Walk around with it. Make sure you see it in as much lighting situations (inside/outside/in shade, in sunlight) as are reasonably available. Put lotion on your hands before you go in to the store. Smudge your hand over the table of the stone you like best while you are there. And see how it performs dirty (they are pretty much always dirty on the hand).

AFTER you've picked the one that you like best. Then ASET it to see what it shows. Use the ASET for confirmation. Not for selection. When you are in person, your eyes are the selection tool.

Then look for inclusions, etc. And finally loupe the thing and see what you see under magnification. Finally check out the lab report. But at the end.

That's what I do.

Since you are going to several places. Start to notice what you like best, is it larger facets? Smaller tables? Smaller facets? Higher color? And you'll notice things you don't care for.

Usually diamond shopping FOR FANCIES is a lot of wedding dress shopping (and just as difficult if you are doing it right), there will be stones that grab you. And ones that you THINK should grab you because of some stats or detail, but ultimately do not. Stick to the onse that grab you.

For me, Hearts and arrows faceting is hit or miss. Sometimes I like it. Sometimes I feel it makes every shape, once set, look like a round. And that doesn't appeal to me. But I also don't like splintery facets and a lack on contrast.

You have to figure out what your eyes like.

Ultimately you wear diamonds on the hand and you see them with your naked eyes. So your eyes are your best tool... and your gut. Listen to it.

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1403828140|3701766 said:
Look the fact is you are looking at fancies and you know how to read an ASET now.

So here's basically what you need to do.

Look at each stone when it is placed in front of you objectively and only with your naked eye (or glasses/contacts, you know what I mean). If there a couple of them side by side look at them all together. Pick up the one that you like best. The one that has your attention. If there is no one that grabs your attention more than the others, then just start at one end and go to the other.

Walk around with it. Make sure you see it in as much lighting situations (inside/outside/in shade, in sunlight). Put lotion on your hands before you go in to the store. Smudge your hand over the table of the stone you like best while you are there. And see how it performs dirty (they are pretty much always dirty on the hand).

AFTER you've picked the one that you like best. Then ASET it to see what it shows. Use the ASET for confirmation. Not for selection. When you are in person, your eyes are the selection tool.

Then look for inclusions, etc. And finally loupe the thing and see what you see under magnification.

That's what I do.

WOA. This is brilliant. You are a gold mine (diamond mine?) of good ideas. :shock:

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy, that is a fantastic post. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Glad it was helpful! :wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, you always have the BEST advice! :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
DAMNNNNN :errrr:

Here is my diamond district review (TL;DR: not good)
1. IDJ was closed/on vacation
2. B2C never answered my calls for appointments
3. Went to Firenze but they were very car-salesman like (had a nice piece that fit my description/needs but it was the 1st one I saw)
4. Disheartened browsing though the rest of the store revealed very little variety

Heading to GoG 1st thing in the morning tomorrow. :knockout:

Is it too late to order online and have it for July 12?

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Sorry to hear that! That's frustrating. Best of luck with GoG.

I don't see why you couldn't have a stone in a week-and-a-half if they have it in stock. Next day insured shipping is usually pretty good. :read:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
necedemalis|1404344018|3705553 said:
DAMNNNNN :errrr:

Here is my diamond district review (TL;DR: not good)
1. IDJ was closed/on vacation
2. B2C never answered my calls for appointments
3. Went to Firenze but they were very car-salesman like (had a nice piece that fit my description/needs but it was the 1st one I saw)
4. Disheartened browsing though the rest of the store revealed very little variety

Heading to GoG 1st thing in the morning tomorrow. :knockout:

Is it too late to order online and have it for July 12?
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure GOG can take care of it before July 12 unless you wanna do a custom setting.

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
So my current plan is to go to GoG tomorrow morning and if I do not walk out of there with something, I am ordering from Blue Nile that afternoon (sending to family in NJ).

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to hear your NY Diamond District experience was not good. I wish you would have stopped by to see Nick from Kent Jewelers.
He has some beautiful stones and really takes time to sit with you and pick what you like. If you don't see what you like he can get some more stones for you to see in person.

Good Luck tomorrow!

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
BTW 100% of the folks I spoke to said, "hearts and arrows" is a marketing scam & you'd need a decent magnifying glass to even see the difference.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
WHY? Why would you buy a radiant site unseen? At the very least order the stone from B2C if you are going to do that!!! Get the stone loose, propose with that and then the two of you can go setting shopping together.

As for hearts and arrows being a gimmick. I'm going to bet that's from stores that don't have hearts and arrows stones so of course they are going to disparge them.

necedemalis

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1404360106|3705764 said:
WHY? Why would you buy a radiant site unseen? At the very least order the stone from B2C if you are going to do that!!! Get the stone loose, propose with that and then the two of you can go setting shopping together.

As for hearts and arrows being a gimmick. I'm going to bet that's from stores that don't have hearts and arrows stones so of course they are going to disparge them.

Very true. I guess I am starting to get a bit sloppy. Well, the Blue Nile (BN) customer service was very kind and 180º from the car salesmen I dealt with all day today. No excuses though, you are right.

One thing that really caught my attention was that BN can ship to a FedEx pick up in New Jersey...saving me the NY tax expense!

I will search b2c again and check if
- they have something for me (ring and setting bc my SO will dislike this search; too many options)
- can ship to the Moonachie, NJ FedEx location before July 12

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Start a new thread calling for Diamond Hawk. And tell him what's going on. He'll make sure you get help you need.

But yes, don't get sloppy.

Buy the stone. Then you can even get it set locally in person.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's your budget again?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results