shape
carat
color
clarity

wrap-around wedding band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Adjustable

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if the wedding bands that wrap around solitaire tiffany style engagment rings are any good? Are you better of just getting an engagement ring with sidestones from the get go? I am planning on having a longer engagement (>~2 years) so I figured if I could hold off and have my fiance pick her sidestones later on (she''s reall picky) and save some money to get a larger center stone. I''m looking at Emerald Cuts to work with this type of set up. Does anyone have any experience with these types of wrap around rings? I dont know much about them besides a brief description from an employee at Jared Jewelers. Just want to make sure that this approach isnt a bad one or if just getting a three stone ring right away is the better approach. Thanks a million?

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t vouch for whether or not you would be "better off" with a solitare wrap down the road. I personally don''t love the look. I prefer a three stone setting and separate wedding band.

I do think that putting your funds toward a fantastic center stone and adding on sidestones later is a great idea. What about simply having the center stone reset into a three stone setting when you are able to afford it? That way, she can have a true three stone ring, yet you can put all fund towards one stone now. I would run it by her (or at least "feel her out" if this is a surprise) It has been my experience that women are more sentimental about the center stone than the actual original setting, and are therefore comfortable changing the setting.

I hope I''ve helped you more than I have confused you!
Munchkin

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t seen many wraps/guards that would accompany an emerald cut diamond appropriately. Many times, the guards/wraps are better for rounds. Emerald cuts look fine as a solitaire and then you would always get your FI-to-be an eternity band to compliment the solitaire. Otherwise, I would also recommend the 3-stone ring for an emerald cut stone.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2005 12:42:51 AM
Author: Munchkin
I can''t vouch for whether or not you would be ''better off'' with a solitare wrap down the road. I personally don''t love the look. I prefer a three stone setting and separate wedding band.

I do think that putting your funds toward a fantastic center stone and adding on sidestones later is a great idea. What about simply having the center stone reset into a three stone setting when you are able to afford it? That way, she can have a true three stone ring, yet you can put all fund towards one stone now. I would run it by her (or at least ''feel her out'' if this is a surprise) It has been my experience that women are more sentimental about the center stone than the actual original setting, and are therefore comfortable changing the setting.

I hope I''ve helped you more than I have confused you!
Munchkin
I agree with Munchkin. I''ve had one of those wrap ring things, and I didn''t like it much. Mine had two trilliant shaped settings that went on either side of the center stone with some baguettes. My solitaire didn''t stay "wrapped" very well, and was always kind of sliding apart from the wrap. The jeweler said that the only solution was to have the two rings soldered together
32.gif
. I didn''t want to do that, since I have other bands that I also wanted to wear my soliitaire with. I ended up trading the wrap ring in for a three stone ring in the end. I like it much better, and wear it as a RHR.

I like the idea of putting your money toward a nice solitaire now, and possibly resetting it in a three stone ring, or some other option down the road. Another option is a ring "guard". I know they aren''t as popular as they were a few years back, but they work MUCH better than the wraps in my experience. I have two that I wear from time to time with my solitaire. They are more like two rings that are held together by bars that the solitaire sits between. Usually the solitaire fits very snugly in a ring guard.

Does your gf really like the look of the center stone with side stones, or would she be happy with a nice solitaire in a pretty setting? You should probably figure out a way of finding out what it is that she prefers before you actually buy something. Go window shopping, or comment on one of her friends'' rings or something like that and get her reaction if you don''t already know what she likes. Also, browse the "Show Me The Ring" thread for oodles and oodles of ideas.
1.gif
. Good luck!

Big_G

Rough_Rock
Adjustable,

I''m planning on going the same route as you. I know my Fiance-to-be would prefer a 3-stone setting, but to save money now I''m going to get a Tiffany solitaire for engagement and then let my Fiance-to-be pick out a wrap or an alternate 3-stone setting/wedding band for the wedding set. If she doesn''t want to change from the solitaire setting, then I guess I will have a 3-stone anniversary ring to buy after a few years of marriage.
23.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I would say you are wise to spend more money on the center stone at this point and get her a larger solitaire. You have 2 years to save and she has two years to think about what she wants. You could have the ring re-set as a three stone set with a plain band or get her the wrap. She can give more input on what she wants later.

Adjustable

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the insightful replies. I will most likely go with the solitaire and a bigger stone which makes the most sense and maybe upgrade to a different setting later if thats what she wants. I asked her a little about it yesterday in a somewhat not so obvious way and it sounds like she doesnt mind just a tiffany style solitaire setting. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results