shape
carat
color
clarity

WOW! What a ring!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very pretty!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Pretty setting, but does the sapphire seem kind of dark?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Yes, maybe a bit.....I guess it''s hard to tell from those pictures, but for that price I was thinking it must be a pretty good stone.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Oh geez, that is really pretty.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I like the setting. You don''t see pieces like that often on SP.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LtlF,
Maybe it's a bad picture. The stone doesn't look terribly exciting to me either, especially for that price!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
It could be, the size is nice, and the color is even. But the sapphire just does not blow me away.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Just curious....what would it cost for a blue sapphire that size that would be a spectacular stone?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well it also depends a lot on treatments as well. Sapphires routinely undergo gentle heat to imprive their color, as well as some unscrupulous treatments like Beryllium Heat treatment (dying the stone).

For retail pricepoints, the NaturalSapphireCompany.com, can provide some values for unheated blue sapphires in various sizes. The more vivid the color, the better.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 7:24:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Well it also depends a lot on treatments as well. Sapphires routinely undergo gentle heat to imprive their color, as well as some unscrupulous treatments like Beryllium Heat treatment (dying the stone).

For retail pricepoints, the NaturalSapphireCompany.com, can provide some values for unheated blue sapphires in various sizes. The more vivid the color, the better.

Thanks t-l, I was just having a look over at the NSC, and there are a wide range of prices for a stone that size. The pictures certainly show the stones in a much better light.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
TL,
Maybe this is a dumb question, but here goes.
When you say the unethical use beryllium treatments, what would be so bad about the treatment if it was disclosed?
I will never be in the market for a stone of that type; I don''t know if I have ever even seen one IRL.
But, if a person knew what they were buying, and they were fine with that knowledge, is there some reason for them not to buy the Beryllium treated stone?
Will it fade with time? Will the stone be more likely to crack?
Will it peel off?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 7:50:19 PM
Author: Pink Tower
TL,
Maybe this is a dumb question, but here goes.
When you say the unethical use beryllium treatments, what would be so bad about the treatment if it was disclosed?
I will never be in the market for a stone of that type; I don''t know if I have ever even seen one IRL.
But, if a person knew what they were buying, and they were fine with that knowledge, is there some reason for them not to buy the Beryllium treated stone?
Will it fade with time? Will the stone be more likely to crack?
Will it peel off?
Well, I call it "unscrupulous" because most of the time, these treatments are not disclosed, and the general public is often taken advantage of due to their lack of knowledge on gemstone treatments. I do not think it is unethical to sell a BE-treated stone, or any kind of treated stone, as long as the treatment is fully disclosed, and the customer understands the extent of the treatment. In fact, treated and synthetic stones allow people to afford a color of a stone they otherwise would not have, and there''s nothing wrong with that. My big issue is the non-disclosure of these treatments and synthetics and even worse, charging "non-treated" and/or natural stone prices.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
TL,
Thanks for the clarification. For some reason, I wrongly assumed theses type processes weakened the stone, or sunlight could fade the dye. I think I will read up on this a little more.
Pink

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be heating isn''t really dyeing. It consists of heating a stone until the atoms in the crystal structure are as far apart as possible (without melting! I believe it is around 2.000C, but I could be way off) and then ontroducing Be atoms into the structure, to give it colour. Originally, this was quite a superficial treatment, but more modern techniques are able to get the Be pretty deep in a stone. The colour is stable, but the stone can get quite brittle from this treatment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/21/2009 8:19:23 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Be heating isn't really dyeing. It consists of heating a stone until the atoms in the crystal structure are as far apart as possible (without melting! I believe it is around 2.000C, but I could be way off) and then ontroducing Be atoms into the structure, to give it colour. Originally, this was quite a superficial treatment, but more modern techniques are able to get the Be pretty deep in a stone. The colour is stable, but the stone can get quite brittle from this treatment.
I know, it's just difficult to describe how it's done, and when you cut open the stone, it typically has a rim of blue towards the edges, that makes it look like it's been dyed. Bad terminology on my part.

Thank you for properly explaining this treatment Lady D.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well thanks for explaining the B treatment. I never did quite understand that. It sounds like an awful surface treatment to me. I guess we need to buy from reputable dealers to avoid that.

TFS!!

ETA: the setting and stone posted are really NOT my style. So post is a little harsh.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 6:05:32 PM
Author: hlmr
Yes, maybe a bit.....I guess it''s hard to tell from those pictures, but for that price I was thinking it must be a pretty good stone.
This should never be assumed. Take for example all the overpriced pathetic excuses for jewellery sold on tv shopping channels - looking at the prices one would think the main stones are quite nice, eventhough it''s obvious they''re nothing special even by looking on your tv screen. So, for that price it should be a nice stone, but I''d never say it must be.

But eventhough the stone doesen''t hit me as something great, the ring itself (the craftsmanship, especially how the melee is set) is pretty spectacular.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I like the setting. The ring itself is a bit too big for my taste.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink Tower,
If BE treatment is disclosed AND priced lower accordingly, I have no issue with it. I believe the treatment is permanent, permeates most of the stone (thus won’t fade or peel) and does not affect the structural integrity of the stone very much. The reason most people don’t like BE treated stones is also that it is similar to a dye job. What you are seeing is probably very far from its natural colour.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting while pretty and ornate doesn’t suit my taste. The sapphire does appear dark but it could be the lighting setup used by SP.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 2:37:12 AM
Author: ma re

This should never be assumed. Take for example all the overpriced pathetic excuses for jewellery sold on tv shopping channels - looking at the prices one would think the main stones are quite nice, eventhough it''s obvious they''re nothing special even by looking on your tv screen. So, for that price it should be a nice stone, but I''d never say it must be.

But eventhough the stone doesen''t hit me as something great, the ring itself (the craftsmanship, especially how the melee is set) is pretty spectacular.
Oh, I am well aware of all the pathetic jewellery, at outrageous prices for sale out there.

Signed Pieces is a reputable seller who has priced this ring for sale.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/22/2009 9:16:48 AM

Oh, I am well aware of all the pathetic jewellery, at outrageous prices for sale out there.

You can still be a reputable seller and overcharge for quality, labor, etc. . .

The important thing is to get the best value for your $$$. That''s why I would never shop at a place of Tiffany, although they do have a very esteemed reputation.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/22/2009 9:23:07 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 7/22/2009 9:16:48 AM

Yes, maybe a bit.....I guess it's hard to tell from those pictures, but for that price I was thinking it must be a pretty good stone.
This should never be assumed. Take for example all the overpriced pathetic excuses for jewellery sold on tv shopping channels - looking at the prices one would think the main stones are quite nice, eventhough it's obvious they're nothing special even by looking on your tv screen. So, for that price it should be a nice stone, but I'd never say it must be.

But eventhough the stone doesen't hit me as something great, the ring itself (the craftsmanship, especially how the melee is set) is pretty spectacular.

You can still be a reputable seller and overcharge for quality, labor, etc. . .

The important thing is to get the best value for your $$$. That's why I would never shop at a place of Tiffany, although they do have a very esteemed reputation.
Definitely!! And also buying something that you really like, and can feel confidence about the quality. That's why some prefer to shop at places like Tiffany, Cartier, etc.

"Ring includes original certificate from AGTA" - It would be interesting to see that cert.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results