shape
carat
color
clarity

Wow!! Ideal original radiant vs. Etoile and Lucida

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I just got back from dragging my girlfriends around to look at e-rings. First I took them to Tiffany's to look at the Etoile solilaire I had originally decided on. It's 1.2 but looks bigger in the half-bezel. The thick round band which was initially appealing, has since become questionable - I mean, will it be weird to wear that much metal?

Then I showed them the Lucida (because I have been increasing drawn to the square cuts). It was a 1.41, very simple and elegant as you know. Sparkly!

Then I took them to a vendor who had a radiantcut.com diamond brought in for me. I have been researching extensively about the proportions on an ideal radiant and this had a table and depth in the mid 60s. The diamond was stunning, asbolutely gorgeous. G/vs1. Everyone on pricescope who said go for the "original radiant" cut, I whole-heartedly agree. This diamond comes with the Grossbard Cert and a fantastic GIA cert. The ring was a three stone radiant, with about 1.54 center.

All 3 of these rings come to about $16500. But you should know that the radiantcut.com diamond is significantly lower (only 11,500 - it's the Precision Set setting and side stones that are bringing the price up). I have no idea what to do! More bling, more simplicity, the Tiffany's name? It's hard to know.

But one thing is for certain, the stones from radiantcut.com are beautiful. I had almost given up on the radiant cut because it's seems so complicated to find a great stone. But wow, wow, wow.

Any thoughts of course would be so appreciated.

Have a great weekend.

Best, Tracy

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucida or Radiants; the Etoile can be made for less.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Well- you are asking a very hard question!!

I love all 3.
A 3-stone radiant with 1.54 in the center sounds awesome to behold. And I know those precision sets are nice.

The Etroile is magnificent but it's a very bulky ring when the stone is even more than a half carat, in my opinion.
Depends on your fingers I guess, but I didn't like all the metal.

The Lucida- the cut is soooo unique and the design is perfection. Make sure you try on a wedding band with it and see what you think.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a wardrobe of rings for differnt moods?

eta: For myself, I liked that half carat Etoile so much that I would consider having it made by Quest. I bet you could get it done with a beautiful diamond for about $3k. At Tiff's it was $5,950.
I am seriously capable of having a ring wardrobe.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I am a fan of the etoile. I had a ring made just like the etoile with a 1.48 center and I loved it. It was 7mm wide but comfy enough for everyday wear. Now if you''re getting the one without sidestones, then that a thick lot of platinum to be polished a lot.

I am a HUGE fan of the lucida bezel too. I wanted one made but it was $1600 for a "replica" in WG. If I win the lottery, I want the lucida 3 stone. YUMMY!!

I have never seen the radiant original. I had a radiant and I loved it but I have a round now for it''s size and sparkle. I don''t think you can go wrong with ANY of them. Which does your GF like???

Here''s a pic of my etoile style ring......I sold the stone and ring but I''m buying the ring back and setting a cz in the center:

jamie4756331.jpg

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Here''s how I wore the "etoile". If i had the plain band one, I would have worn 2 thin pave bands with it, but since my band had diamond, I wore plain. I miss this!!

newwedset123.jpg

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I still drool everytime that picture comes up, Marriahlyn. Beautiful!!!!!
30.gif

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
This is such a hard decision - those are all beautiful rings.

The "original radiant" sounds stunning, especially in a 3-stone. I really like the idea that the precision set guarantees the matching wb to sit flush. It can be hard to find flush wb's for 3-stone rings.

The Etoile with a 1.2ct requires you to be a fan of thick bands and commit to this style for a long time (as your e-ring). While Marriahlyn's rings are lovely, that look would not work on my finger. I'd prefer a half-bezel style with slimmer band -- not thin, just not as wide as the diamond itself.
6.gif
That would let me avoid the Tiffany's premium and use the extra $ to buy the best round diamond possible.

The Lucida was my all-time favorite until discovering other square shapes on the Good Old Good web site. I'd check out those other shapes before commiting to the Lucida to make sure the price premium is worth it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After what you say about the radiant, well, easy to make it the best choice! That it is the largest diamond on the list must help a bit too
2.gif

Just wondering if the setting of the radiant was not a detraction for you, because the two thers two are relatively simple, ''clean'' designs by comparison. Would you rather have the radiant in a solitaire?

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Unless you are absolutely determined to spend $16k, it sounds like you might consider a gorgeous fancy square stone for 11k and get a simpler setting.
If your initial attraction was to get the Etoile and then you also noticed the Lucida, methinks you generally prefer a sleek refined look. The extra bling of the 3 stone ring just sort of intoxicated you.

And you can certainly get an amazing setting (either find one or have it custom made) and plop a bigger (and probably better) stone into it for way less than the Tiff price tag.

But be warned if you start reading pricescope, learning about diamonds, studying all your setting options, well it can sorta take over
19.gif
we''ll be here to pat you on the back and say, "there there... it''s OK..."

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Wow Marriahlyn,

Thanks for showing me. This is gorgeous!

:)
Tracy

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I am having a hard time committing to the thickness of that band, but do love the bezel. You are right.

I did find this lovely Ritani setting. What do you think?...

RitaniRound.jpg

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Ana, you are right. The setting is less classic. But...the side stones really make this ring in my opinion. I don''t like the radiant alone...if I had to go without the side stones, I''d prob. choose a round. Dang! I am high maintenance. Here''s a pic of the ring with the side stones though a little blurry..

3 (small).jpg

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! This radiant diamond is only $11k and I was thrilled about the price, except the Precision Set setting is $6300 and killing me. But those darned side stones do intoxicate me ... oh my lord.

I am not a big bling person, but the way the ring is simple and looks on my hand...

See attached...

And thank you for your support. I have been reading pricescope for like 5 hours a day. Cant eat, cant sleep, CANT decide!!

5 (small).jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2006 7:56:28 PM
Author: tracys126

...the side stones really make this ring in my opinion. I don't like the radiant alone...if I had to go without the side stones, I'd prob. choose a round.

Hei, there's nothing 'less classic' about a three stone ring! For some reason I thought the radiant was square... and imagined a Lucida style setting with it. It is not at all hard to agree that the side-stones make for a great look
28.gif

How big are the sides? 6k sounds like allot for the setting alright. Wonder if the designer name doesn't have more to do with that than the diamonds in it. And would definitely give trap sides a second thought too - LINK to one example
38.gif

200set.JPG

This layout from Diamonds by Lauren shows pretty well what I have in mind - larger looking sidestoens! Trapezoid cut sides are quite spready.

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
Ana,

I remember an A.Jaffe 3-stone setting with 0.6 ctw sides cost about $6K. (This is a PS-er''s ring.) Thought that was real expensive at the time. Maybe this is normal for designer 3-stones...
14.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2006 8:43:46 PM
Author: diamond_quester

Maybe this is normal for designer 3-stones...

... which doesn''t impede that Signed Pieces sells their for 3k (.7tcw sides)
28.gif
It is a classic thing aftre all, most jewelers would know exactly what to make if asked for a three-stone basket setting. And some look nicer than most designerish stuff - after all.

Case in point ?

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
With your long slender fingers, you can pull off the size of the 3 -stone, the bulk of the Etoile, no problem!
So, it is a matter of comfort, preference, etc (thanks Marylahn for showing us your amazingly beautiful ring..... I am curious as to why you sold it but that's another thread....).

Maybe the intoxicating ring is the one you should get.
I mean, if it makes you weak in the knees ... maybe that's the answer to your question.

I do think it's good to push yourself a little bit and go a little past your comfort zone.

(In my utopic idea of a world where price is no object, etc)

I know how hard it is to decide on something that is soooo expensive and something you'll wear constantly.
Hang in there! you'll make a decision, and then you'll feel relief and pleasure with the ring.

eta: Yes I LOVE that Ritani!
wooooeeeee I do love a sleek ring!

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Ana, I''ve been in touch with Signed Pieces and their setting for this style ring don''t set flush against a wedding band.
20.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2006 2:56:32 AM
Author: tracys126
Ana, I've been in touch with Signed Pieces and their setting for this style ring don't set flush against a wedding band.
Yeah... that's the case with most basket settings... Is the one from Precisionset high to clear the band?

The price sounds quite amazing to me, but this does not make it unfair - if you go for it. If there wasn't anything like it anywhere, I'd still ask for a custom quote first be it even for peace of mind. 6k/setting sounds OK, but wish the sides were larger to span the finger so to speak (and the price suggests over 1 ct total...). How about these guys ?

Anyway, a line of three-stone rings (shown on their website with round brilliants and colored stones) at Pearlmans' seems to be built to accommodate bands too. Wonder if a three-stone radiant is not in their cards too
2.gif
The shop carries Ritani as well. There are no diamond listings online at www.pearlmansjewelers.com but they sure have them.

Here's the ring I am talking about:

82EE13.jpg

It wouldn't cost anything to drop them a line either about the three-stone, or the Ritani, or both.

tracys126

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ana,

I emailed Bill last night and he has already gotten back to me. WAHOO!

My boyfriend doesn''t like the square. Throws a little kink in the plan
7.gif
20.gif

Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results