shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you work at a jewelry store?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found a job listing last night for a full time position at a local jewelry store, I would love to apply but the hours won’t work for me. The store is higher end, not on the level of VCA but not a mall jewelry store.

Curious if any of you would would take a job in a jewelry store? Would you be able to sell pieces to customers knowing that there is better quality and better value elsewhere (online).

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.
And
Yes.
Thinking of a specific store near me, though.

Unless I had a prior agreement with the owner to direct the sourcing to what I would prefer or alternatives to what was already in stock.

Can you tell I’ve thought about this before? Lol

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh heck yes. If the products were good and I could feel good about selling them. I worked retail for YEARS and loved it, I love helping people shop and find the "right" thing. I get the satisfaction of a purchase without spending money!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would accept a position at a local jewellery store.

Yes, if I believed in the price vs quality they offer. There's a budget for everyone and I love to help educate and find the right piece of jewellery for anyone. Some people need the ring "right now" or need to be able to see and touch the jewellery, which online cannot fulfill as easily.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Yes! Kind and knowledgeable customer service is so important. Some people are frazzled and looking for a gift, others might be popping by for a quick treat. You'll get to help them make the best choices for their situations.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started out in department store “fine jewelry,” and also worked at an independent store in the west burbs of Chicago right before the 2008 crash. Loved it, would do it again when I run out of other things to do!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curious if any of you would would take a job in a jewelry store?

I would (!) -- but it would have to be higher-end with some untreated colored stones or vintage to keep it interesting. I think I have the wrong personality and would not be able to steer people to the high mark-up stuff. I almost volunteered to take photos and do social media for our struggling best-in-the-city century-old jeweler that has since folded. Their staff were very poetic about their antique and vintage pieces ("this ol' girl") and their design sensibility, but now I know what I like and am more interested in establishing unadulterated authenticity -- in the period pieces and in the gems themselves.

I could sell to sophisticated PS types but not to all the folks who stumble in and are just looking for maximal bling for the buck. I would have to be able to say "Every diamond I show you at your target size and price-point will be compromise -- you help me determine where we compromise!" I think most retail environments are more scripted.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would like to
but im not sure about the sales pressure those people down the mall are under and our economy is in ression and its a non essential catagory and this little city is struggling like a lot right now

ive always worked in hardwear and garden related fields untill now and it would be nice selling in a clean and sparkly field

but of course since i joined all you lovelies on here i know slightly more about what the mall jewler stocks and doesnt stock
they quite often are advertising for new staff

i have never sold things to people i knew they could not afford but rather the best they can afford. i doubt that is the sales ethic they work to down the mall or at a lot of other jewery stores

also in this country we are in the middle of a really awful crime spree invoving smash and grabs and ram raids of jewery (and others) stores
not just Micheal Hill but other family bussinesses - a watch shop here in Wanganui was targeted, after hours thank goodness but they were all still traumatized
its got so bad in some locations up north that Micheal Hill closed a couple of branches, the losses had a non unsignifant effect on their EOY profits
but its also happening in broad daylight inside malls and no shop assistant deserves to feel unsafe at work

if i ddint have a morgage id give it a go,
maybe
but only if the govt toughen up the laws and start putting these little ba*tards behind bars, presently some are too young even for the youth justice system

No I wouldn’t. I’m known as the jewelry designer amongst my friends and so have helped several people buy jewelry (erings mostly, but also buy or put together/remake their jewelry sets for the wedding) and I don’t have the temperament to deal with customers. I’m quite decisive and I know what I want and like. I would lose my patience with someone who doesn’t take decisions quickly. I can barely hang on to my patience with my friends, and they tolerate it because they’re not paying me! :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and no.
Would I work where they overcharge for poorly cut stones, IOW most jewelry stores?
HELL No!

Would I work at WF, or for Wink? ... HELL Yes! ...in a hummingbird's heartbeat.

When I know a subject, I love teaching.
But I have strong ethics especially when I'm on the hook for the best interest of those I'm advising, teaching, and very-especially when I'm making a buck off their decisions.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I would love to as well.
id actually like to be in charge of cleaning all the jewellery and setting up the display all neat and tidy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I know if I had anxiety about income tied up with my hobby - the hobby would cease to be enjoyable and would turn into a stressor! That’s me though.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I know if I had anxiety about income tied up with my hobby - the hobby would cease to be enjoyable and would turn into a stressor! That’s me though.

i do agree with this

i used to enjoy a bit of crochet
i once made a blanket that fit a single bed !
i made quite good teddy bears too

anyway anyway
a long time ago now, in between hardwear jobs
for 9 months i worked in a fabric shop that sold wool, embrodery supplies, teddy bear making stuff as well as fabric and sewing things

my enjoyment of crochet just ground to a halt
completly evaporate, like poof ! all gone !
it became work and not for fun

- do wish i had kept that blanket though
have all the wool in the garage for the next one but after all this time it aint gonna happen, i should finish off what ive made for the cat's bed at the back door (if a mouse hasnt moved into it)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worked at a jewellery store while I was studying at university, and absolutely loved it. I was the bridal consultant, and my favourite thing was helping people choose their engagement and wedding rings.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha this would be like me working at an ice cream store. I would spend my entire salary on bling! :lol:

Edited to add I am so not a salesperson so no I wouldn't take a job selling anything. I also would not be a good fit for being in customer service since many people annoy me. LOL just telling my truth :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have thought about this so many times. I would have to make sure it was an ethical fit with well-made products at a (not scalper) mark-up. I would not enjoy a mall job, but working for a great jeweler would be a joy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My danger, if I worked at an ice cream store, would be I might soon be unable to leave at the end of a shift for the doors shrinking...

Hahaha exactly. But what a way to go :lol:

Yummmm

IMG_0858.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
at my work we are allowed to eat whatever we want (we dont get proper breaks)
also we can take home what ever we like that hasnt sold or if its on its best before date
i may have had a pie for lunch every day last week
im pretty sure they dont let you sample the merchandise in a jewlery store
or take home left overs

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would, as long as I didn’t have to pressure people in to buying poor quality jewllery, or things that it was obvious they were struggling to afford.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
at my work we are allowed to eat whatever we want (we dont get proper breaks)
also we can take home what ever we like that hasnt sold or if its on its best before date
i may have had a pie for lunch every day last week
im pretty sure they dont let you sample the merchandise in a jewlery store
or take home left overs

Yes, but I got to try on a lots of Rolexes and nice jewellery during my shift!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results