shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you upgrade your earrings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I traded up last year from 1ctw to 1.5ctw, but it's an in between size on my way to the final size of 2ctw, which looks great on my ear and has enough presence to dress up or dress down. I do love my current earrings though. And since I got my ering, I'm not thinking about how/if I can finagle a way to trade in my 1.5 RB's into 2ctw old cut ear studs. Because that? Would be awesome. I saw two pairs of OEC dangle earrings at Single Stone and they were stellar! Imagine a.50 stud with a .75/1.0 dangling from that, both bezel set with millegrain. Yum!

I have seen ear studs over 2ctw and usually they look too cartoonish to my eye. When they start to droop downwards they're too big...
28.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think I ever would. I think I would want to just buy anthother more creative pair of diamond earrings, maybe big blingy leverbacks, halo studs, dangle earrings, etc. I would still want a more moderate size of plain studs for everyday wear.

Jewels

Shiny_Rock
OMG, after reading this thread, the upgrade bug hit me again!!! I should ban myself from PS.
11.gif

I had a pair of 0.51 ctw for 5 years and I swear, I was very happy with them. Then I found PS, and as addicted as it was, I held back and finally upgraded a year and a half ago to 1.03 ctw. I now want something bigger. My ideal size would be 2ctw but I think they would be too big for everyday wear. On top of that, my e-ring is 1.35c and the 2ctw would not look proportionate to my ring.

I think I would like to go maybe 1.5ctw? What do you all think? Also, I called WF today (still can''t believe I did that and was surprised that DH did not give me the nasty look) and inquired about the ES pricing vs. the RSG. The ES stones are like 1G more than the RSG set. I could only justify paying for the RSG. What should I do?????

Can someone please tell me if I should go with the RSG? If I do, it would be my final studs and I will not have a chance to upgrade. Also, how are the stones compared to the ES stores? Are they close in terms of cut? PLEASE HELP ME
33.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are in the camp that likes the options, then go for the upgradeable ones. However, a lot of people seem to go into stores with stones from other sources and negotiate those as a trade in so you never know...but personally I would not limit myself if I thought there was a chance I would want to upgrade.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Mine are 0.68 tcw (from WF) and I love them, but I''d definitely consider an upgrade. Actually, my pendant is .40. I''ve often thought of making it an earring, upgrading one of my current earrings studs to match it, then upgrading the other into a 0.6 pendant. I could see eventually having 0.5 or more in each ear. Bigger than that looks gaudy on me I think, given my age and overall style.

I chose the ES/ACA route over the RSG because forever is a long time, and I have no idea whether or when I will want to upgrade in the future! I do appreciate that flexibility.

On the other hand, I was surprised at how few compliments I''ve gotten on my earrings. I think b/c they are mostly hidden by my hair, people just don''t see them, and I don''t either unless I am looking in the mirror. Maybe I will put my upgrade $ into more bracelets and rings that I can appreciate while wearing?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 10:24:46 PM
Author: gailrmv

On the other hand, I was surprised at how few compliments I''ve gotten on my earrings. I think b/c they are mostly hidden by my hair, people just don''t see them, and I don''t either unless I am looking in the mirror. Maybe I will put my upgrade $ into more bracelets and rings that I can appreciate while wearing?
Don''t feel bad, I didn''t get many either (and I wear my hair up a lot), the nicest were from a couple guys. Go figure.
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 10:31:58 PM
Author: Ellen

Don''t feel bad, I didn''t get many either (and I wear my hair up a lot), the nicest were from a couple guys. Go figure.
9.gif
Yes, go figure! OK, I feel better now :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 10:53:33 PM

9.gif
Yes, go figure! OK, I feel better now :)
Good.
2.gif

And this reminds me of something interesting I noticed. My studs look larger with my hair down. I would have thought it would be the other way around...

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are 0.68 tcw (from WF) and I love them, but I''d definitely consider an upgrade. Actually, my pendant is .40. I''ve often thought of making it an earring, upgrading one of my current earrings studs to match it, then upgrading the other into a 0.6 pendant. I could see eventually having 0.5 or more in each ear. Bigger than that looks gaudy on me I think, given my age and overall style.

I chose the ES/ACA route over the RSG because forever is a long time, and I have no idea whether or when I will want to upgrade in the future! I do appreciate that flexibility.

I really really like the way you''re thinking in that first paragraph! Upgrade the studs to .80tcw and then take the .34 and upgrade into a pendant. That type of creative thinking is why I''m shying away from RSG.

I have .50tcw that really are large enough but of course I''ve following this thread very very closely.
9.gif
I like to keep my options open and you just explained why!
9.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock

9.gif
I have pretty big, pretty darn sparkly studs and I have short hair that allows them to be seen and I never get compliments on them so you guys are not alone. I still love them though. Wearing nice diamond studs makes me feel good. They just don''t garner the kind of attention that rings, pendants, and bracelets seem to attract.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 10:09:18 AM
Author: Sundial

9.gif
I have pretty big, pretty darn sparkly studs and I have short hair that allows them to be seen and I never get compliments on them so you guys are not alone. I still love them though. Wearing nice diamond studs makes me feel good. They just don''t garner the kind of attention that rings, pendants, and bracelets seem to attract.
I never get compliments, either. My hair is long, but I notice people still seeing the sparkle of my earrings, but never say anything. After I got my Roberto Coin necklace, I immediatly received a few nice words and I think it''s because the pendant "is cute." Studs on the other hand can be a bit intimidating. I think that most do not realize we''re getting a HUGE discount by buying online so jealousy can set in faster. It''s sad, but true.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I have gotten compliments on my studs (.55/.57), but very infrequent in comparison to my e-ring.

Someone else mentioned ''recycling'', and I want to add that I''ve done this too. I bought a .56 stone for a solitaire pendant. I found, though, that I wear my halo pendant almost constantly and wasn''t wearing the solitaire much. Because I could upgrade, I decided to trade that stone in toward the pair of stones that became my leverback earrings.

One of my friends isn''t an earring fanatic, and she has nice diamond studs. Because they are upgradable, she''s thought of trading them toward a larger pendant.

The only purchase I''ve made in RSG is my baby studs....the .16 each for my second holes. Since these are second holes and I wouldn''t wear a more substantial stone in them, I was able to save a good bit by going RSG. Also, they were such a minor purchase that I wouldn''t be out a ton if I changed my mind.

I like having OPTIONS....lol

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
I started out in 1989 with .75 cttw studs set in yellow gold. I never knew any other details. I had those and wore them virtually every day until 1999 when I upgraded to 1.5 cttw G VS2 studs set in platinum. I wore those every day until 2003 when I was able to trade those in for 3.01 cttw G SI1s. I don''t end up wearing these as often because they''re not as comfortable. I can''t sleep in them, and I often feel that they are too dressy for every day wear. If trading in the 1.5 cttw pair wasn''t the only way to make buying the larger pair feasible, I think I''d like to have both pairs--one for casual days and one for dressier days.

I have small earlobes, so the new earrings provide A LOT of coverage. While I tend to get a lot of compliments on the earrings, especially when I''ve just cleaned them, people have actually had the nerve to ask if they''re real!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I upgraded a pair of .75 each that I bought years ago, to 3 ctw. Went lower in clarity and color and am sooo loving them. One stone is an SI2, the other an I1. YUP!! I went outside my comfort zone, saw how gorgeous they really are!! I love this store and their generous upgrade policy
31.gif
I get a ton of compliments on them. I adore my studs from WF, perfect size for every day. Doubt they will get upgraded, probably will be given to my DD, when she graduates from college. Sheesh, that''s not too far down the road. Lucky girl!!
11.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/2/2007 12:49:06 AM
Author: Kaleigh
I upgraded a pair of .75 each that I bought years ago, to 3 ctw. Went lower in clarity and color and am sooo loving them. One stone is an SI2, the other an I1. YUP!! I went outside my comfort zone, saw how gorgeous they really are!! I love this store and their generous upgrade policy
31.gif
I get a ton of compliments on them. I adore my studs from WF, perfect size for every day. Doubt they will get upgraded, probably will be given to my DD, when she graduates from college. Sheesh, that''s not too far down the road. Lucky girl!!
11.gif
11.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I am bitten. I went to take my Bedat in for a new battery and a store that I go to a lot (got my necklace there) had 8.80 carat total weight studs. She said they were likely I/SI which I am not thrilled with, and my studs are 3 carat each from Tiffany''s and better quality, but had I not been rushing I would have tried them on. They looked pretty good to me, and I could always go a bit smaller and get a nicer quality, and I know he would take my current studs. I have bigger lobes and can handle a big earring, these looked not so front heavy to me. However, I am not sure I want to trade in my studs, who knows, but I want pears to drop from them, so my next big thing I think should be those, or a pair of those earrings that do not use my current studs. Plus with building our new house and my sworn promise to be good for a while after getting my necklace for no reason, I think I should stop thinking about it. Though I have dropped hints for sure, which of course he ignored. (smart guy). But oh my did they jump out at me. I hate when the studs tip forward off your ear, but honestly, my three carat each studs do not look tooo big on me due to my earlobe acreage and my long hair. Oh was I so tempted...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Oh DF I hope you don''t trade in your earrings! You have three carat each studs from Tiffany''s woman!!! People would kill for those babies. Now I can appreciate what you are saying about earlobe size because mine are large also, but your current studs are something special. If it were me I would keep those and just get another pair of drop earrings.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial, I know, but seriously, I have more space on my lobes and could definitely see trying them on just for fun. I had very CASUALLY mentioned them to hubby when we were at the beach this weekend and I mentioned them again tonight. He said stop mentioning them, which means he heard me the first time! Sometimes one has to plant a seed, and give it lots and I mean LOTS of time to sprout. I am certainly not expecting him to say yes any time soon or ever...but a girl can try...who knows, maybe for my 20th?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results