shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you trust your spouse to . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
pick out a diamond for you?

For those of you who are obsessed with PS, do you think you would be able to give up control and let your significant other to pick out a diamond for you?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. And he knows that he''d better not try on such a large dollar item. We always shop together or I''ll pick and he pays.

beachbound

Rough_Rock
My FI picked out my e-ring for me. I love my ring so much! He got really into it when he was looking and read everything about diamonds to pick out the best one, and one that would be perfect for me. In a nut shell, I''d definitely let him pick one out again!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it was a Tiffany Lucida bezel set pendant in platinum 17" long, I could ....

31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Otherwise, diamonds just aren''t his bag, baby. Tiffany''s he understands. Anything else: nope-sies.

I''d ask him to pick out any kind of electronic device or car or boat or appliance. He''d do the due diligence - but his eyes CROSS at the minutia involved in picking out superior sparklies.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
At first I didn''t, but ironically his first stab at online shopping, he found my current stone for me, saying "this one looks good?"

It sure did.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
nope

actually, no one that knows me now would even try.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the man, but helllllllllllll to the no. No way.

He hasn''t got a clue and doesn''t really want to get one. Did you know that the first ering he got for me was a CZ?!?! He thought he was getting a good deal on a diamond and didn''t know it was fake.
20.gif
(English is his 3rd language so he didn''t know what cubic zirconia was.) Thankfully he brought it to another jewelry store and the guy explained in no uncertain terms it was fake. He returned it and proposed that night at dinner with no ring!!! Then we went to Tiff''s and got a little somethin somethin.

So...no way!!!!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 2:47:11 PM
Author: FireGoddess

He hasn''t got a clue and doesn''t really want to get one. !!!!
That is my FI too... thats why we picked out the ring together... sure the proposal wasn''t a surprise, but I got what I wanted
9.gif

happilyeverafter

Shiny_Rock
Puhleez.... SO''s eyes glaze over as soon as I start mentioning "ring" much less pavilion angles, ISET, etc. He would never do the in depth research that I did (and he knows how anal I am about research) which is why he said "pick out whatever diamond you want and i''ll get it for you".

Silly me...looking back I should have never asked him for a budget limit!
31.gif
27.gif

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Yep! That''s how I received my engagement ring. My fi is a serious researcher - he probably spent more time learning than I did. I would just trust a jeweler''s judgement & my eyes. But I love him for that and I love my ring/diamond! So it worked out perfectly.

It also helps that he knows & has similar tastes to me!

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am going to have to go with no.
The stone in my e-ring is a family stone- and he used a "family" jeweler to set it.

While I love a lot about my ring, I have some issues with it as well and I have already told him that it will have to be reset before we have a kid (the main stone is just set too high for it to be practical to wear around kids- I will scratch the poor babe!)

He did buy me lovely vintage pearl and diamond earrings for our wedding- but that was w/ some guidance from my friend. He doesn''t do well w/o guidance w/ regards to jewelry buying.

But he does get me a lot of cool random one-off gifts that are so thoughtful, so I really can''t fault him- I would rather help pick stuff out anyhow!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to leave it up to him, but then I started reading Pricescope and after telling him about pavilion angles and percentages, his face glazed over and his lack of excitement with my newfound research was the most poignant reason not to let him do it.

To be honest, he wasn''t as excited about it as I was, and that''s why I ended up doing all the work...

His proposal better be good.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, I love him to death but I am a control freak so the answer is no and he knows it. hehehe
9.gif
11.gif

diasurfer

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 3:12:44 PM
Author: *~*Danielle*~*
Yep! That's how I received my engagement ring. My fi is a serious researcher - he probably spent more time learning than I did. I would just trust a jeweler's judgement & my eyes. But I love him for that and I love my ring/diamond! So it worked out perfectly.

It also helps that he knows & has similar tastes to me!

I second this notion. She's very budget conscious and I still wouldn't have trusted her to pick out the stone. Her eyes glaze over when the intricacies of cut angles comes up in the discussion. I just asked her to rank size, color, and clarity in importance and took it from there. Her priorities were 1. size 2. size and 3. size. I've picked a 1.21 ct I color Si1 ACA so I think we'll both be very happy.

Settings were another story. I was lost and not too interested. Together, with this site, we came up with Vatche Royal X prong. Thanks PS!

I'm a scientist. I've noticed my scientist/engineer friends have also really gotten into their diamond searches. A well cut diamond is such an amazing mix of art and science.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Not after joining PS! My husband picked out my diamond from a maul jeweler and then had it set into it''s current setting. I LOVE my rings and wouldn''t trade them in even though I''m sure they''re not the best quality. All I really know is that they sparkle and I get lots of compliments on them so it can''t be that bad!

After what I''ve read here, I''d probably go the on-line route and get a top of the line stone, although I''d probably keep my current setting because I like it so much.

Jess

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Kind of yes, kind of no.

I''m a control freak micromanager when it comes to my stuff, so I''d definitely want him to have some guidance. When I get the feeling now that he''s looking around for something, I tend to "randomly" start showing him pictures of what I like. He''s not spending big bucks right now, so we''re ok. I''m very much about the emotion of picking something out, and cherishing it (even when it isn''t always my style).

However, on big money purchases, I want a BIG say! I''ve actually been thinking about this (because, on PS, how can you not??) and I think that when the time comes I''d want to be part of the narrowing down process. Lead him to good, reputable vendors (ERD, WF, etc.) and look at stones together. I''d want to narrow it down to about 5 stones (so I know I''ll be delighted with anything he picks) and let him do the rest. I would want to arrange it so that I don''t know cost, though. I tend to like to max out budgets, and I think if I don''t know it I won''t be driven by price (my motto is generally "You get what you pay for") and will just be driven by how much the stones make my heart pitter pattter. He can take it from there. And that way it''s something we do together where he gets the final choice (seems like that''d be a big deal for him, since he likes doing things for me to make me happy and taking care of me) and I don''t have to worry that I won''t like what he picks, or randomly spot any inclusions or something. It seems like the least stress on both of us, and the best way to use my knowledge without running the whole show.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 2:40:10 PM
Author:MC
pick out a diamond for you?

For those of you who are obsessed with PS, do you think you would be able to give up control and let your significant other to pick out a diamond for you?
a round? yes, absolutely 100% - anything from the ACA section at WF would suffice! ETA: Besides I could call John and have him plant my personal parameters in whomever dh was working with so they could encourage him to get what I wanted anyway haha

A cushion? Oh HELL no LOL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I have to pick out my jewelry, just as I would not pick out a car or computer for him. That way we are both happy and get exactly what we want!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 2:46:10 PM
Author: belle
nope

actually, no one that knows me now would even try.
LMAO! Same here!

Actually, that''s not entirely true. I''d trust him to pick something out for me.....IF he called the right people.

As long as Rich were to call WF or Wink, I know he''d be in good hands from there, and they know what I like!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep because he would just call Celina at WF and she would help him pick out a beauty.
1.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2007 4:53:23 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
No, I have to pick out my jewelry, just as I would not pick out a car or computer for him. That way we are both happy and get exactly what we want!
Word sister! Seriously though, I''m way more interested in the details of diamonds, pearls and other jewelry-related items than he is. I wouldn''t pick out a computer or a cell phone for him. Hell, I wouldn''t pick out a nice watch for him either...I think it''s more fun to go shopping alone, narrow it down, then bring him along to shop together for the final opinions. In fact, after my FI proposed, he went on a trip for a couple of weeks and we left it at we''d be going to NYC when he got back, so we could shop for a ring. But while he was away I started looking locally and it was during that time that I found my future ering. I think he was honestly so relieved that I found something that I adored and that he also loved as well...So all''s well that ends well.
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Generally? No. I''m the research arm of the couple.

BUT if he came on here and you guys TOLD him what to get. Yes.

Or alternately if we did what we did for my e-ring yes. I gave him VERY SPECIFIC specs that had to be met, gave him the name of a jeweler I trusted, and told him that as long as the stone fit the specs I had given him... he should chose with his eyes.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to be surprised! I got engaged long before I found PS, but I''d still let DH go on his own to get diamonds for me. Our jeweler is fortunately very honest and caring, my DH went in with a budget, carat weight, and stone shape in mind and knew he wanted to get me a platinum setting, and he got exactly what he wanted that he thought I would love and still came out pretty good as far as color, clarity, and cut. Even now after seeing so many gorgeous and almost perfect stones here on PS, I still love my diamond and am very happy with it.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope, no way!!! I am so picky! I totally took over control of the e-ring buying.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Yes because my hubby will buy an ACA diamond. He also lurked around PS when buying my e-ring and he''s very researchy.
9.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Sure, if he called WF and bought an eye clean ACA!
9.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
haha.. my hubby wouldn''t even try to pick one for me. He is worried that he will not pick something of good quality or he might pay too much for it. So he usually buys me what I pick. So basically, no surprise diamonds for me!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I think throughout all of my, ahem, trades, he has actually learned a thing or two. So, I''d have to say "yes."

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
No way would I trust my DH to pick out a diamond for me. Before I got my upgrade, I got on PS with him and tried to show him some things and explain what I had learned about diamonds. I could see his eyes glazing over. In the end, I picked my diamond. I think he was happy not to have to figure it out. I was happy because I''m particular and I got exactly what I wanted.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well he picked out my current one (and I think he did a good job) but I do think I want to be involved in the next purchase (if there is ever one). I would not trust him to pick out a setting (that sounds kind of horrible).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results