shape
carat
color
clarity

Would YOU spend $50k for a diamond?

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Laila: I know and that's the point. Everyone spends it differently... You do not need to spend a lot to look like a million bucks! One could have a huge house or rather a nice car or rather jewels or desire great vacations, etc. My friend made millions and still built a modest house down the street from his MIL - to have acccess to family. He does not live in a great town but he COULD. He has all the best cars, vacations, etc... but not the house. LOL.. It's so true. You can't judge a book by it's cover. And I also believe that more "nouveaux rich" are the ones trying to impress... or the ones who are in debt. :naughty:

Distracts: DITTO! My father was a huge motorcyle guy and spent a ton on it but I'm a car person :) ha ha But I'm also a homebody and do not need vacations, expensive clothes, designer things. I go for the "look". For example: I would never even step foot into a Tiffany's or a Cartier... b/c of just that. Paying for the name.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Christina:

I think you said it best. It's only a conversation - if you can afford it and without consequences - SAY YES!!! :love: With that being said - it was just a question - if you had the extra money - would you. Thanks so much for your input.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Give more than you get. If you can give $51K (or even $50,001) away to charity each year, go for the $50k rock. And please, post in SMTB!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the better question would be, "what do you want?"

Is there a $50k ring that you want to buy?

If I had the money, and there was something unique I loved for $50k, maybe I would get it...An amazing cushion, asscher, emerald cut, sapphire, vintage piece, if we had the money, I would totally think about it ;))

If I could easily spend $50k and my lifestyle supported wearing a huge ring...:

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-3-2880

http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-91-328

http://www.mc2jewels.com/rings/1266.html

http://www.mc2jewels.com/rings/20241.html

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hee hee hee... this is fun! I would TOTALLY spend $50k on a diamond if my salary had an extra "0" at the end of it :tongue: . Call it an investment piece - at the rate these diamonds are climbing in $$, it wouldn't be long before I could sell it for a profit :bigsmile: .

Pipe dreams... :((

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't *think* I could spend that much on one piece - I don't know, I just think that amount is out of my comfort zone...my husband and I are starting to talk about retirement, and lately I've been sort of obsessed with having enough funds to see us comfortably through our old age, cover any emergencies that come up, pay for assisted living if we need it down the road, etc. I recently purchased an OEC ring that, for me, was a decent chunk of change and I don't think I'd feel comfortable spending much more.

Emeraldcutlover, I do understand where you're coming from though - like you, I have only a few pieces that I wear literally every day, my new ring being one of them. And I figured that in the long run the purchase was worth it because I would get years of enjoyment out of the piece. In fact, I did the same calculation thing you did! :) And you're probably much younger than me, so the math is probably even more in your favor! :cheeky:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd spend 50K on a diamond if I had that kind of disposable income. I'd probably get a KILLER asscher or emerald cut, high color, high clarity, and set it in a platinum setting with very thin baguettes on either side. OR, I'd get a graduated eternity band with killer cushions. Or maybe a yellow cushion. OR . . . I'd clearly have to spend some time shopping around for this one. I'd probably start at Graf to get some delicious handshots to share.

I agree with previous posters that it's all relative. We have quite a bit of money in my current ring, probably just as much as we spent on my car, but it was all disposable income so it doesn't seem like all that much to us. It's not like we had to decide between buying my ring OR going on vacation OR buying a home OR dining out whenever we like, etc. etc.

We don't buy anything we can't afford in cash, and we have very clear ideas about what we value and want to be able to afford and experience. As long as my bling budget doesn't violate either of those two standards, let the shopping begin.

There are a lot of things I could not fathom spending 50K on that others could. I'd never spend that much on a car, for example. But others would spend that on a car, and they would never spend it on a piece of jewelry. DH's friends are constantly ribbing him for driving his little Honda Civic because they don't understand why he doesn't drive something nicer, but we just don't care enough about cars to drive anything fancier. I imagine most people who make purchasing decisions for themselves and not for others, have similar stories.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, ECLover, stepping into Tiffany's is LOTS of fun!!! But you know what? I shop on ebay and buy Tiffany and other designers half price. I am a major bargain shopper and also would be regardless of how much money I had. I'd want to find a $50,000 ring for $25-30k, actually, if I were in that position! I do tend to only wear a few nice pieces, as well, and I want them to be great quality as opposed to having lots of inexpensive jewelry.

So you already have an e-ring but you want to replace it with this diamond you fell in love with? I didn't go back to look at your prior posts, but if you are married, what does your husband think? I'd probably justify the expense for an e-ring if it is not more than a couple months salary for the couple. And insurance will be somewhere between $500-1500 a year for that one item depending on where you live, etc.

The one thing I would add for ME personally...I wouldn't wear a ring that made me look like I was trying to be something I am not. I can easily afford a 2 ct.(round) diamond and my husband, oddly, would be happy for me to get one, but I am not comfortable wearing that in my upper middle class world. (A 2 ct. AVC or emerald cut, I could force myself to wear, however. :bigsmile: )

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
It wouldn't be responsible for me to spend that kind of $$ on jewelry w/our current financial situation -- but HELL ... I'd love the opportunity to have enough spare cash around that I felt 100% (okay even 80%) comfie w/splashing out on a single fab stone. Problem is, I really love my current e-ring & don't wear RHRs -- so I have NO IDEA what I'd get. Maybe a honkin OEC pendant? Or East/West set cushion pendant?

SCREW THAT -- LUCIDA BEZEL PENDANT BABY -- biggest 50K could buy! SOLD AMERICAN!!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Canadian_Moose

Rough_Rock
Even if I had the disposable income, I'd say no. But 50k does get me a nice gently used Porsche to boot around in. Wifey would have the last say tho. So that means diamond shopping we be going.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
I would gladly spend it all on the biggest best cut F VS1 RB I can find.

That is, if I were rich enough to afford one :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canadian_Moose|1343884325|3244702 said:
Even if I had the disposable income, I'd say no. But 50k does get me a nice gently used Porsche to boot around in. Wifey would have the last say tho. So that means diamond shopping we be going.

This is out household exactly! :lol: I will have to say, though, that my hubby gets a slightly older gently used Porsche, too!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
My first thought was I wouldn't want to wear a big honkin' diamond. I would feel self-conscious. Never been a showy, look-at-me kind of gal.

My next thought was that a really great diamond need not be big/ostentatious. It might cost quite a bit too (D, E, F...).

My realization is that (given the finances), I could indeed spend 50k on a diamond.

My, that would be fun shopping trip... :bigsmile:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, easily. More even, if I had it.

I love jewelry, and enjoy indulging my wishes, as I can afford it. I feel comfortable wearing whatever pieces I happen to like.

I wear the ring in my avatar pretty much daily.

If I was a millionaire, I would definitely buy more, larger pieces. And love every second of it! lol

Anne

blinglover78

Rough_Rock
Yep. I would probably get an emerald cut. I would have no problem wearing it everyday.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My gut reaction is to say no. I have massive issues w/spending money on myself, and even if we had millions, I can always think of other things that could be done w/the money. However..http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9216/

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi:

Bellamezzo! Love that Lang! I do love it and there are a lot of goodies out there - but I am a bargain shopper - so the Tiffany is out b/c I think it's worth more b/c of the name and the other Lang is too big for me BUT you had me at the "Sapphire" :sun:

PintoBean: You are right! Sooo hurry up and get your dream ring! ha ha :naughty:

Junebug17: See - great minds think alike!! I may be a little younger but college is here...... ;( Also, feel like I really always buy for everyone else and the hubby gave me the green light - big anniversary... We can afford it - it's just so frivolous - I think I'll always have some guilt!

Haven: So true - we have a friend that drives an OLD BEAT UP VAN and almost fell over when saw their multi million dollar home on direct waterfront... He is not a car person... Never judge a book by it's cover :lol:

Diamondseeker20006: See this is why I'm struggeling! I DO LOVE A BARGAIN! And I guess a $50k bargain would be a 7 or 8ct??? But then of-course I would not wear it b/c that would be too big!! See - we all do have our limitations!!! :lol:

decodelighted: And let the BLING BEGIN!!!!!!!! It's sooo fun dreaming!

Canadian_Moose - Hmmm... such a guy - BUT a good one since you'll go shopping! And that you are on this board! :razz:

Greenbling: Yummy!

Begonia: The THRILL is definitely in the shopping!!!!!!!! Okay... and then the getting and staring!!! :lickout:

Anne_h: Your ring is stupendous! Can you find me one for under 50k OEC please!!! White looking and can be under 4ct ;-)

Blinglover78: I have one for you... :lol:

Packrat: Are you a Sinatra Fan?? I do love the oldies... In any event, Ooooh La La! :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fife|1343853462|3244473 said:
If I made $300,000/year after tax, I'd definitely spend $50k for a diamond.

I'd get the largest size Perfect-Cut; H; VS1 I could find.

If I'm willing to spend more than 50k, I'd stop at 2.5 carat, and just max out Color/Clarity
sounds good to me!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GMUAlum08|1343849638|3244442 said:
no chance. that's a ton of wasted money that could go to more important things. unless i hit the lottery no chance would i pay that much for a stone.
there are more important things than diamond?... :confused:

ZahraLeyla

Shiny_Rock
anne_h|1343929149|3244912 said:
Yes, easily. More even, if I had it.

I love jewelry, and enjoy indulging my wishes, as I can afford it. I feel comfortable wearing whatever pieces I happen to like.

I wear the ring in my avatar pretty much daily.

If I was a millionaire, I would definitely buy more, larger pieces. And love every second of it! lol

Anne

Ditto all of this. I have no problem wearing my engagement ring every day, and I have never felt self conscious about it. I'm planning a suite of jewellery to match it as well - earrings next, then a pendant, and then a bracelet. I fully intend to wear the set together every day.

Unfortunately for The Pharmacist, I have absolutely no qualms about spending money on myself :naughty: , but I only spend what we can comfortably afford. I'm young, too (we're both 27), but I don't understand the need to be more mature to pull off bigger pieces. I think it all relates to personal style and being comfortable with a certain look.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely! I don't think I have a limit to how much I would spend on a diamond as long as I can afford it! I may not actually wear a million dollar diamond in public, but I can still enjoy it in private!

Yes. And No.

If my yearly income was $50k and I wanted a $50k diamond... that's insane.

If my yearly income was much more and I had the CASH to do it, and it's want I wanted.. um... why not?

If I had a big enough budget/ income... you'd see me being one of the crazies collecting diamonds just "because" I can and because I like them. I'd probably start with one of every shape... and then one of every color... :)

I don't think $50k for a diamond is wrong. Or $300k. Or $3m. Now, $17m... that might be my cutoff (if I was super rich, yo.)

:D :D :D

You know, another thing to think about... is what if you won $50k AFTER taxes? What would you do? Pay down the mortgage? Buy a new car? $ away for college (kids or grandkids)? DIAMONDS? All of the above?

Seriously, if I won $50k after taxes, tomorrow, you would be seeing me coming home with this http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9349/ and then the rest to responsible stuff/ for hubs hehe!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ECL, why yes I do like Sinatra!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1343940292|3245034 said:
My gut reaction is to say no. I have massive issues w/spending money on myself, and even if we had millions, I can always think of other things that could be done w/the money. However..http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9216/

Niiice! That is one gorgeous asscher you found, Packrat!! :love: However, I can't get over how small asschers face up. It's 2.26 carats and one only gets 7.3 mm of finger coverage.

yoyosaidfeia

Rough_Rock
If money wasn't the issue, YES!!! :naughty:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If money was no object of course I would. :naughty:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had it, I'd get a fat delicious 3-4 carat canera cushion in an emilya halo. And I'd stuff it in everyone's face. Because I am a shameless glittermonger.... :devil:

IE_Princess

Shiny_Rock
I would, as long as it didn't have any impact of the rest of the finances. Mortgage and cars already paid for, retirement fully (and amply) funded, children through college, DH having the things he wants, then yes. I'd look for the biggest, best OEC I could find, in an amazing setting, or maybe a high color IF emerald cut. I'd insure it and I'd wear it and I'd love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results