shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you set any of these? If so, how?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
First, a very pretty emerald-cut Mozambique purple garnet, a smidge over 4 ct. At about 10.1 x 8.6 mm, it's larger than most of my ring stones. I worry about scratching it--I have another purple garnet I loved, set in a ring, and I got a big glaring white scratch across the table practically the first time I wore it. And this one is big enough that I'm sure to knock int around if it's a ring. Maybe a pendant would be better. But I rarely wear pendants, and would it catch enough light to show its bright flashes of color? It's hard to photograph and much nicer in person--none of the brownish color that you can see here. This one was a bargain, but not so cheap it would seem insane to spend money on a nice setting.

IMG_4747.jpg IMG_4750.jpg IMG_4726.jpg IMG_4739.jpg IMG_4742.jpg IMG_4744.jpg

Next, a batch of cheap stones.

Six tiny alexandrite pears, 3.5 x 2.5 mm, about a tenth of a carat apiece, about the size of sesame seeds. They were very inexpensive, so much so that I assumed they must be synthetic and I didn't mind, but the seller assures me they're natural. I'm fine either way. They're a pretty green in daylight and change to a distinct, if grayish, purple under incandescence. The photos didn't come out well at all--they're nicer in person. (The incandescent photo is taken using a little nightlight in the bathroom, since we've almost entirely switched to LEDs in our apartment. The nightlight is made out of a teacup cut in half.) I'm considering using them as petals for a flower ring, but is it worth the expense? Would a flower with green petals look silly? If I do that, I would need to find other tiny gems that go well with the tiny alexandrites. (@LD , I would love your opinion about whether it's at all plausible that they might be genuine alex, and if so, natural. Don't worry about hurting my feelings!)

IMG_4603.jpg IMG_4610.jpg

Finally, a couple of marquise tsavorites, about .8 ct apiece, about 9 x 4.5 mm apiece, which cost less than $30 each. They have big windows, and they're not very saturated, but the color concentrated around the edges is a clear, bright, pleasing light green. The photos are true to what I see with my eyes. I'm confident these are natural because they have typical tsavorite inclusions: a needle in one and a fingerprint in the other. I'm considering setting them as the heads of a double snake ring, or as the heads of snake earrings, possibly with hidden hooks to let me attach pendants that the snakes could be holding in their mouths. But that would be expensive--if I bothered to do that, would it be better to find higher quality tsavorites instead?

IMG_4196.jpg IMG_4199.jpg

And here's a $15 sapphire from the same seller, which was sold as a .80 ct peach-yellow unheated natural sapphire. But it's actually a little over a carat, yellow instead of browny-peachy, and not QUITE the same shape as the one I ordered, and the seller is offering a similar $30 yellow sapphire that does fit the dimensions and weight of the one they sent me, so I think they must have sent me the wrong one. I hope nobody orders the $30 one and gets disappointed. Sending this back would be a huge pain and would cost way more than the stone itself. It's completely windowed, but strangely appealing. It looks like something from a Georgian ring. I'm not planning to spend any money setting it, though.

IMG_4184 (1).jpg IMG_4184.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ This.

Although the first three you could set together...

Since you asked, the last (sapphire) is not a winner, imo. Does not "look" like a sapphire -- more like quartz -- and very windowed. Pale + windowed = hard to mount attractively.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Yeah would set the first 3 together - purple and greens will go quite nicely together I think.

This store use marquise stones quite a lot - maybe have a look and see if you feel inspired?

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely lovely garnet. I love garnets, despite destroying them when I have them set in rings. :( I think a big pendant would be amazing! Large and in charge!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would totally do the flower ring with the little alexandrites. So cute! That purple garnet would make a lovely ring too. I would set that and wear it, and take it off before doing chores. If you don’t wear pendants, then maybe don’t do a pendant.

W

westofhere

Instead of as flower petals, could the Alex’s be used as leaves in a manner like this or some such?

W

westofhere

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love love your garnet and honestly I would make a ring. I’m obsessed with emerald and rectangular cuts at the mo! If I’m honest that’s the only one I would set because the others pose issues ie they have either a large tilt or a normal window so setting to minimise those will be a challenge. I hope that doesn’t come across as being rude?

You asked whether I thought the Alex could be real? I’m in the fence but my gut says probably not because they are very clean from what I can see. It’s not impossible but I’m 70/30 that they’re not. The colour change you describe could be right for a weaker colour change but ….. if I’m honest I would still use them as accent stones because they’re a nice set and as mentioned above would make lovely petals.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the advice, everyone. I like the idea of the alex pears as leaves.

@LD (and others), not rude AT ALL to give me your true opinions! That’s what I hoped you would do. These are all cheap gems I took a chance on, mostly to see whether I would want to risk more expensive purchases from the sellers. (Answer: Yes to the garnet seller, but sadly he didn’t pay his etsy fees on time and they shut down his shop; no to the others, unless I see something I adore for VERY cheap).

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would totally set the garnet and possibly work something for the sides with the pears. sort of like one of these, but pears/not marquise C541AA96-0D48-4686-89A7-5FDE1C9AAE66.jpeg 73350166-7976-48C3-8C78-FBAD5A5FDBA1.jpeg

or a solitaire with that amazing garnet, then make some studs with just the alex
7C490A23-DDC6-43CE-8A56-A987D13B2FFC.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
My personal response was...
Bracelet or ring for garnet.

Organic looking silver bracelet with the alexandrites where they look like leaves on vines.

Toi et moi silver ring with tsavs, or better yet, you can probably have Daniel M make the bezels for the tsavs in gold and the rest of the ring in silver to keep cost down.

I would not set the sapphire, unless you have more gems than these, and... Well, my idea was to make a geometric owl with one large eye and one small eye, where this sapphire serves as the "lens" through which the owl is looking... But that's just a silly idea that's very cheeky and what voce would do that would probably not be to your taste!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Love the owl idea.

voce

Ideal_Rock
PXL_20210627_014418374.jpg
I love cartoon owls, but piecing one together mosaic style from gems would be a costly endeavor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results