shape
carat
color
clarity

would you set a 6.2mm round medium red spinel on a 4 prongs solitaire setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! I have been looking thru many beautiful references on color stones from you guys and notice that no one seems to set a color stone in a classic 4 prongs wg setting. Most settings are with sidestones, halo or some kinda embellishment. I have a 6.2mm round, diamond cut, medium red spinel. Thought of setting it into a 4 prongs solitiaire setting. Its a ''recycle'' project, my 4 prongs setting has been lying round for a while, since the size fits i was thinking of setting the red spinel into it moreover the high setting should also maximize light entering the spinel, making it even brighter. What do you guys think??
2.gif

Photo0688.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Brown Eyed Girl has a number of gems set into 4 prong WG solitaires - so does Freke I''m pretty sure. You could search on their names for photos - Those gals come to mind right now, I''m sure there are others.

To answer your question, if the setting suits the stone, you like the look of them together, and you have a decent jeweller to do the job for you, than sure I would recycle.
I have a plain 4 prong rose gold setting that has been waiting for the "right stone".
I have a serious aversion to high settings, that would be my only concern with your one - but that is of course personal preference.
5.gif

Can we see a photo of your spinel? Personally, I like most reds in yellow gold - but I do think they can go well either way.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hi there tks for the reply! here it is :) Nice color but bad cut, anyway I will be having it recut by a local guy:) O ya! actually I agree with you that bright red or green looks good with yellow gold, but my skin color does not go well with yellow gold...

redspinel132.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If you''d wear it that way, there''s no reason not to do it. There are some lovely solitaire set stones posted on PS, so this one could be the latest. BTW, if you worry that it might not look it''s best in plain WG, you can (together with your jeweller) figure out a way to incorporate some YG in that ring - maybe some scrolls on that shank or something.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is always a personal choice if one prefers a solitaire style setting. As with white gold, most red spinels might not look as good in them depending on the purity of hue. It might end up highlighting the brown or orange undertone. A spinel of excellent colour and saturation will not need any help in terms of maximum light from an open or high setting, nor will it matter what colour metal one chooses. A spinel with any hints of brown or orange generally do better in a yellow gold setting which lessens the contrast, thereby making the red colour appear more predominant.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like colored stones in solitaire settings!!
9.gif
They are hard to buy that way but if you buy your own stone and then the setting, well you can have what you want.

Do you like the stone in that setting? How does the color of the stone sitting in the setting look while the setting is on your hand? Do you like that combo? If so you have a winner.

HTH

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Big Blue is in a 4 prong solitaire technically, but it isn't really plain.

I also have a Montana sapphire in a 6 prong solitaire, a pink spinel in 6 prong vatche replica, my ering in a 6 prong setting, a dark blue spinel in a super basic Leibcor 4 prong setting, and others...I have pictures all over.

BEG also has several. Her new blue tourmaline for sure, and several others.

ETA: Linky to the most basic 4 prong with others

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Four prongs are very common, even for diamonds. The Tiffany&Co lucida is a four prong design for example. I have a very nice quality heavy white gold four prong setting. It is a thick ring with a Euroshank, and I''m still trying to find a stone for it. I plan on using it though. I think your stone would probably look better in YG though.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2009 1:02:23 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Big Blue is in a 4 prong solitaire technically, but it isn't really plain.

I also have a Montana sapphire in a 6 prong solitaire, a pink spinel in 6 prong vatche replica, my ering in a 6 prong setting, a dark blue spinel in a super basic Leibcor 4 prong setting, and others...I have pictures all over.

BEG also has several. Her new blue tourmaline for sure, and several others.

ETA: Linky to the most basic 4 prong with others

Thank you all for the responses:) hi FrekeChild your ering #4, a 1.22ct 6.2mm dark blue spinel cut by Barry Bridgestock, is exactly the same measurements as my spinel 6.2mm and coincidentally in 4 prongs too! What a great reference I can 'see' my upcoming ring:) I do agree that yellow gold look better with the red, maybe I will try to incorporate some yg in the setting, first of all, I will wanna ensure that its a fully natural spinel, then I shall proceed with the recut and setting. I always wanna be sure that all my stones are fully natural:)metks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results